Menu

Chiggers...

fairfarmhand

How horrible. Are chiggers visible? I have "mystery" bites on my legs all the time but never see anything biting. This seems to happen at night - yikes - or it could be while I walk the dog in the evening, but I have never seen any kind of bug on my legs - but I can certainly feel the itching.

How horrible. Are chiggers visible? I have "mystery" bites on my legs all the time but never see anything biting. This seems to happen at night - yikes - or it could be while I walk the dog in the evening, but I have never seen any kind of bug on my legs - but I can certainly feel the itching.

Here's the lowdown on chiggers...

http://animal.discovery.com/arachnids/question488.htm

Ugh. I just heard recently that if you cover the bites with clear nail polish, it will take the itch away. I haven't tried it though. This time of year we don't do anything outside without bug spray on. These southern bugs are brutal!

No this is an old wives tale. Some people erroneously believe that chiggers burrow into your skin and the nail polish smothers them.  But that's not true. They simply bite and feed and fall off.

I am covered in them, all around the edges of my sports bra seams.!!

Topical hydrocortisone and Allegra cream along with benadryl at night is helping tons.

The first night I took Zantac and Zyrtec together to really knock down the itching.

Worst bug bites ever!

I am covered in them, all around the edges of my sports bra seams.!!

Topical hydrocortisone and Allegra cream along with benadryl at night is helping tons.

The first night I took Zantac and Zyrtec together to really knock down the itching.

Worst bug bites ever!

I kept waking up last night because I was so itchy. I am going to take something tonight.

My 5 yr old just went through a two week crazy period of chigger bites covering most her body. It was agonizing for us all. The only relief besides staying on the tub, was taking children's Allegra and gold bond medicated powder. Campho made it worse and hydrocortisone didn't help. I think the powder helped dry it out. Sorry I know it's miserable.

Oh I am very sympathetic!  My son got them when he was about 3 and I remember spending hours trying to pick them all off his scrotum!  For obvious reasons, it was hard to grab them ; )  He had hundreds bitten on in his groin, under his arms and behind and in his ears.  Egads-bad memory.  I hope your bites are better soon.

I kept waking up last night because I was so itchy. I am going to take something tonight.

D's was threatening to tape potholders to my hands because mom scratching her bobs in public is embarrassing!

The allegra, both topical and oral helps a lot.

It seems to me the chiggers and ticks are much worse this year than the past couple. We even sprayed the yard and its still awful. I cover my bites with liquid bandage. The only thing that helps dh (who tends to have severe reactions) is neem seed oil. Stinky but effective.

Oh I am very sympathetic!  My son got them when he was about 3 and I remember spending hours trying to pick them all off his scrotum!  For obvious reasons, it was hard to grab them ; )  He had hundreds bitten on in his groin, under his arms and behind and in his ears.  Egads-bad memory.  I hope your bites are better soon.

more likely seed ticks, if you could see them.

Still awful though.

I saw the title and shuddered...

I am from Texas and have had experience with chiggers.  Chiggers around the bra-line are the worst EVER.  Except hubby got chiggers in a, uh, personal area...every day for about a week I would come home to find him sitting on the couch naked covered in calamine lotion.  I would tell him that if he thought I would find that arousing he needed to rethink his strategy ;) .

Ugh.  We should point the thread asking about Colorado over here.  NO CHIGGERS IN COLORADO!!!   Or fire ants.  Woo hoo!

Make super sure they don't get infected.  13ds just had a severe reaction to a chigger bite (and he didn't have that many).  A bite on the top of is foot got infected, was super swollen and pusy, and he had red streaks all the way up his leg before he though to mention it.  The doctor gave him a shot of antibiotics and steroids and gave him twelve hours to show improvement or he would be admitted to the hospital for iv steroids and antibiotics.  He showed just enough improvement that our doctor didn't admit him, but it took a long time to get completely well.

All over me.

Except. this time they left my ankles alone.

This time, they concentrated on the areas that are covered by my underclothes.

SO yeah, I'm sitting around scratching my personal areas like a gorilla.

And I really don't care.

Chiggers are from the Devil. I avoid tall grass at all costs.