Menu

S/O How to Spot an American - Shoes

MicheleinMN

So...dd will be studying away in Spain in the fall. What shoes should I buy her before she leaves?

Any other clothes choices would be appreciated too!

Thanks!

Eccos or similar. Clothes in fairly neutral colours. No clothing with writing or logos. I'm not an expert on Spain, but in general I would recommend shirts rather than T-shirts for Europe. No bumbags.

L

Thank you both! How about Clarks? I know that's a brand I've seen in the local department store. (The one and only that's within about 60 miles of here.)

Thanks again!

Clarks would be fine as far as looks are concerned. I personally find Ecco much more comfortable though.

L

Thank you both! How about Clarks? I know that's a brand I've seen in the local department store. (The one and only that's within about 60 miles of here.)

Thanks again!

Clarks are good. You can buy them on Zappos and have them delivered to you. You can look through this site to see styles of shoes. This is the UK site, but it is a German store. I have loads of shoes from them because they are inexpensive and comfy. Some of the shoes on this site must be specific to the Brits, because I go to the B&M store all the time and have never seen them. A few that I see a lot of (style wise) are these, these, these, and these for flat walking shoes. Wedges and sandals are also really popular in the summer. You can see the entire Diechman sandal/wedge collection here.

HTH!

Sizes are also very different. I'm only around 5'2" and had to order everything online because none of the clothes were short enough for me in Germany.

I am 5' 3 1/2." I shopped in France when we lived in Germany, the exchange rate in France was also quite good when we were there, so French clothes were fairly inexpensive. They changed to the Euro right as we were leaving.

What a great thread. I always used to dress in a more European style, shoe-wise, but have degenerated into American sneakers/running shoes because of mild plantar fasciitis that only pops up when I wear bad shoes, like cheap flip flops.

Any shoe recommendations for plantar fasciitis? I would love comfy ballet flats. Eccos?

What a great thread. I always used to dress in a more European style, shoe-wise, but have degenerated into American sneakers/running shoes because of mild plantar fasciitis that only pops up when I wear bad shoes, like cheap flip flops.

Any shoe recommendations for plantar fasciitis? I would love comfy ballet flats. Eccos?

I have no idea if any of the styles are European friendly, but for plantar fasciitis the absolute best shoes are Orthoheel.

Sizes are also very different. I'm only around 5'2" and had to order everything online because none of the clothes were short enough for me in Germany.

But Spain is different. Lots of shorter women there. I couldn't really buy clothes or shoes in Germany. I drove to Spain and Italy often because they always had my size there. I'm 5'1 and wear a 5 or 5.5 shoe.

I have no idea if any of the styles are European friendly, but for plantar fasciitis the absolute best shoes are Orthoheel.

I looked at the site -- no ballet flats, but they had some great lookin loafers, and I need a pair. Love the company's name!

Try Puma. They have cute ballet "sneaker" flats. My cousin (from Spain) loves Puma shoes. I see Puma frequently in Europe.

On the site, the flats look a bit thin nosh, but I will keep an eye out and look for them in a RL store. Thx!

Is it wrong to say that Old Navy and Target have zilliions of similar looking ballet flats? OK, maybe not the highest quality, but really? It's a semester. The person going to Spain is a young woman. She will look good in most anything. :)

I doubt she wears white sneakers at all. :) (I don't wear them, but I didn't know they were this bad. lol )

OP, if your dd is really worried, try the teen or regular Boden catalogue. It's not cheap-cheap, but less costly than shopping in Spain. Getting some cute leather boots won't hurt for 'fitting in' if she will be there in fall months.

Thanks again!

I have a pair of brown leather? slip-on Clarks that are as comfortable as a sneaker but look like a casual leather shoe. I wore them on tour in Scandinavia last year and are still great!

But Spain is different. Lots of shorter women there. I couldn't really buy clothes or shoes in Germany. I drove to Spain and Italy often because they always had my size there. I'm 5'1 and wear a 5 or 5.5 shoe.

And France. I wasn't in Spain long enough to shop, but I shopped in Italy, I forgot about that. I got some nice stuff in Italy, come to think of it!

But now that everyone is on the Euro (and the exchange rate is terrible), all European countries are fairly expensive.

Waving from Scotland - not everyone is on the Euro!..... Not sure how the exchange rates are working to the pound though.

L

I looked at the site -- no ballet flats, but they had some great lookin loafers, and I need a pair. Love the company's name!

Yes, the Orthoheel shoes literally changed my life. The are built specifically for plantar fasciitis, and I haven't had another flare sinced I started wearing them, even when pregnant and HUGE. I can walk all day in them. I have a pair of the flip flops, and a pair of the casual shoes, and love both.

Yes, the Orthoheel shoes literally changed my life. The are built specifically for plantar fasciitis, and I haven't had another flare sinced I started wearing them, even when pregnant and HUGE. I can walk all day in them. I have a pair of the flip flops, and a pair of the casual shoes, and love both.

That is a good recommendation! I would love to walk all day AND look decent.

Thanks for posting this, checking them out right now! I have yet to find a decent shoe that keeps the plantar fasciitis at bay!