Menu

Celebrating unusual holidays

dakarimom5

I am knee deep in planning for next year and I really want to celebrate some unusual holidays, just to add a bit of fun. We already celebrate St. Nick's day, ides of March and when Ceaser crossed the rubicon. What unusual days do you celebrate and how do you celebrate them?

I heard a story on the radio several years ago about a man who would create holidays in some small town. One was Zucchini Day - you leave your excess zucchini on neighbors front steps (for those having a bumper Zucchini crop).

Another thought is to look up the day your State became a state. I know some states used to have a state holidays on the day they became a state.

Or celebrate every Presidents birthday, that is 40 some days to have cake and ice cream.

I created a bunch of my own a few years back. Two that have really stuck are Moose Day, during which we proudly display the one moose picture we own and eat moose-shaped pancakes, and Jane Austen month, which I celebrate in March because I hate March. I pick one novel to read each year, and watch one of the movie versions of her novels every week for five weeks, culminating in Pride and Prejudice, of course.....

We celebrate the Summer Solstice (just started it off with a sunshiny lemony bundt cake for breakfast), the Winter Solstice, Michaelmas (Sept. 29), spring and autumn equinoxes, St. Lucia Day (December 13), Candlemas (Feb. 2), Chinese New Year, May Day. Whew! Thatsalotta celebrating!

we have fun on pi day, darwin's birthday, etc.

we also celebrate both Canadian and American holidays :)

and this year we will add

http://www.moleday.org/

and flying spaghetti monster day, because its a great way to teach about religions... and eat pasta :)

http://itlovesyou.blogspot.com/2008/03/happy-flying-spaghetti-monster-day_20.html

and i have been known to go looking for holidays on days that need a little help....

ann