Menu

Dh has taken the swingset down...

shanvan

We were the recipients of a 23-year-old metal swingset when DS was a baby. DH's friend had 5 kids ranging from 13-24 at the time and realized the only use it was getting was as a spot to sit and text friends before coming in the house. His 13-year-old son overheard us thanking him again after 2 months and hadn't noticed it was gone! When he dropped it off, it was touching to see him get choked up about it. It had faded to a dusty pink, so we repainted it red & blue. When we told our friend we had painted it, he said, "Really, why? That was a lot of work--it still looked good." When he saw it in person, however, he realized it had looked better in his memories and agreed that painting it was great. He loves that it is able to continue to build childhood memories!

I'm a little emotional about that time of childhood ending. :sad:

Ours will be coming down soon, too. My son needed to do a project recently for one of his Boy Scout badges and he wanted to renovate the swingset. At first I thought it was a good idea, and then I realized no one uses the swingset anymore. Why put more money into it? That was a sad moment for me as well. My kids are very close in age to yours.

I still have MY swingset--one of those metal framed type. I got it when I was two. My mom passed it to a cousin for a few years. When they were done with it I got it back for my sons. Yes we had to replace the swings a time or two. These days all that's left is the metal frame. I painted it a dark green and hung a porch swing from it. It's nestled back in a private garden area....very pretty. A great place to read, dream, talk, and pray.

I understand. I am truly dreading that moment. It is gonna break my heart.

I can't tell you how much I don't want to look out and see a clean backyard with lots of grass. I am enjoying the playstructure, the half built 'forts', the stomped down grass/dirt, the cardboard boxes and sticks, stuff tied to the trees, the bare spots where the sprinkler lives.

My neighbors must hate me for such a crappy backyard, but it makes DH and I smile.

I still have MY swingset--one of those metal framed type. I got it when I was two. My mom passed it to a cousin for a few years. When they were done with it I got it back for my sons. Yes we had to replace the swings a time or two. These days all that's left is the metal frame. I painted it a dark green and hung a porch swing from it. It's nestled back in a private garden area....very pretty. A great place to read, dream, talk, and pray.

What a great idea.

We took our swing set down, too, this spring. Yep, I felt so sad. The backyard looks kind of empty and meaningless now.

It was like taking down the crib for the last time. :(

I know how you feel.

I literally cried when my crib went out the door. I just can't convince DH that five really isn't too many kids.

We turned our swingset/play structure into a chicken coop a year ago. But the actual swings are still there attached to the coop on the outside of the fence. The kids still sit on them from time to time to text or chat with a friend, but no one plays there anymore. :(

I literally cried when my crib went out the door. I just can't convince DH that five really isn't too many kids.

I am nearing this point. I am expecting #4 and DH is positively insistent that we are now done. :( I have been pushing it out of my mind, but I know I'll be clinging to every moment with this baby because I'll likely never experience it again.