Menu

kindle ads

EmilyGF

I bought a Kindle a few weeks ago and chose the one with ads. Today I paid $20 to remove them because I hated them.

I didn't mind the ads for books about puppies, but I was getting ads for borderline racy things. I found this rude and annoying.

Just a warning for others who might be considering whether they would be bugged by the ads.

Emily

I don't notice them either, though I don't think anything inappropriate ever jumped out at me. It might depend on each of our definitions of what racy means. There have been a few times when an ad alerted me to a daily deal I might have missed. There were a few other times when the deal was only available to people with ads on their Kindles.

My original Kindle 3 (Keyboard) didn't have ads, but each of the 4 we bought since then do.

I don't keep the Internet connected on mine. The ads I guess all expired and it doesn't have any ads right now. I only connect mine every few months. I went crazy downloading a ton of books that I have never read, so they last me a long time. I also alternate between my kindle, audiobooks and real books. The ads don't bother me.

I just get ads for books and nothing offensive. Then again I don't connect my kindle to the internet very often.....usually about once a week just long enough to download any new free books I "purchased" and then I disable the internet.

I don't keep the Internet connected on mine. The ads I guess all expired and it doesn't have any ads right now.

I only connect my e-ink Kindle when I need to download a book, or want to take one off of my Kindle (I don't like it cluttered with books I've finished). I always have ads,but they are usually outdated. My Kindle Fire is always connected because I use it like a tablet and go online with it often, so those ads change all the time. I think if I was going to see racy ads anywhere it would be on the Fire. I still can't recall seeing any.

I've got the ads. I have yet to see anything "racy". Granted, I rarely notice the ads. They don't show up in actual books. Only when it's off or at the bottom of the screen (but NEVER when a book is "open"). I connect to the internet on it about once a week.

I bought a Kindle a few weeks ago and chose the one with ads. Today I paid $20 to remove them because I hated them.

I didn't mind the ads for books about puppies, but I was getting ads for borderline racy things. I found this rude and annoying.

Just a warning for others who might be considering whether they would be bugged by the ads.

Emily

I specifically got the Paperwhite without ads to avoid this situation, but the book promotions were still there. I had to manually turn them off. There were definitely book suggestions that I wouldn't care for my kids to read about. Eek.

I have a Kindle Fire and the internet is on all the time. I get ads for clothes, movies, tv shows and books.While I wouldn't call anything that I've seen racy, I've seen a couple of rated R movies that just surprised me. Or at least the way the ad looked, surely it was rated R.

I have a Kindle Fire and don't get ads. I see some ads on my computer but generally they are either for things I may use (things like food and clothes that I actually may eat or wear) or sometimes I get dumb ads for stuff that has nothing to do with me- matchmaking services, certificate programs, other totally non relevant ads ( I am happily married for 27 years and I have advanced degrees and am not looking to finish high school or even do any educational program at this time). I actually like that now most ads are better targeted.

I have ads on my kindle and have never noticed anything racy. I like them because I've received several free amazon credits for things like toys, books, and sometimes just for anything purchased on amazon. You can go into your amazon settings and select what sort of ads you want to see. I selected ads for toys and family stuff only. I also rarely connect to the internet so usually my idle screen just tells me to connect to download offers.

I think I do know what the OP is referring to. I have a Kindle Touch, and the sleep mode "screen saver" is a full-screen ad.

Most ads are benign, but one was a full-sized photo of a couple in a steamy embrace, and another was for a TV show called "Mistresses". I share my Kindle with dd13, and I'd prefer this stuff just wasn't on there.

I wouldn't mind much if the ads were geared toward my interests, but obviously this is not the case!