Menu

Fun historical fiction for Ancients?

I'm prepping a reading list for next year. I had assumed it would be easy to use the WTM book to find fictional novels to pair with our Ancients study. After all, there were many wonderful choices for moderns. However, most of the book listed look like books of short stories and fables from a variety of cultures. That's OK but not ds10's favorite.

I am primarily looking for ds10 who is an advanced reader. He really could use a novel a week - he reads quickly. He just read Timecat by Lloyd Alexander and enjoyed it so I have all of his books on my list. He has ready EVERY Riordan book multiple times so that is not an option. I have the Golden Goblet and the Bronze Bow on my list but we did those 4 years ago as read alouds so he may find the somewhat boring the 2nd time around. I have Hittite Warrior on my list which I think we missed last time around. Anything else "fun" out there?

Thanks! Brownie

Ohh! I could have written this post! I'm in the same boat! A series my DS (10) enjoyed even though the main character is a girl is:

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos

Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus

Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh

Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris

All the books are over 350 pages, so this my satisfy your DS for a little while.

Tales of Ancient Egypt by Roger Lancelyn Green - a little dry, but my crew (10,6,4) enjoyed it as a read aloud

The Odyssey

The Eagle of the Ninth

The Tale of Troy

The Illiad

Of course he could read the abridged classics for kids.

I'll be following this thread.

Vanessa

Gosh, Indy read so many books this year! We started off with shorter books because he wasn't a strong reader, but moved up to progressively hard books.

The Boy of the Painted Cave

Tales of Ancient Egypt

The Golden Goblet

The Thieves of Ostia

Pirates of Pompeii

Arash the Archer (this is very short, but one of the few good ones I could find on Persia)

Herodotus and the Road to History

Archimedes and the Door to Science

Theras and his Town

Tales of Ancient Egypt

The Odyssey

Detectives in Togas (and the follow up book, but I can't remember the name)

You said he read all the Rick Riordan books. Does that include the Kane Chronicles? If not, I'd suggest those. They are thick and complicated, but Indy loves them.

There were more, but I can't remember them.

Thanks! I have a decent list now! Hopefully I can make this work. I even came up with 2 more from a recommended book list. Note that I have NO idea how relevant these are but I am going to take a look at them at the library:

Tokyo Heist

Ring of Fire, Book 1 (Rome)

Brownie

Not a fan here of Roger Lancelyn Green (dull and lifeless -- with one exception, below) and GA Henty books (like "dime novels" -- rather unrealistic and about action, with no depth, plus, painfully racist at times), but there are others who do really enjoy their works, so that might be something to look into. More ideas below. Happy reading! Warmly, Lori D.

- Motel of the Mysteries (Macauley) -- VERY tongue in cheek look at archeologists "interpreting" their finds

Ancient Mesopotamia / Israel / Hittite/ Assyria

- Gilgamesh the Hero (McCaughrean) -- "classic" historical fiction; ancient Mesopotamia

- The Golden Bull (Cowley) -- "popcorn" historical ficion; ancient Mesopotamia

- Science in Ancient Mesopotamia (Moss) -- non-fiction

- God King (Williamson) -- "popcorn" historical fiction; Egypt/Israel

- Victory on the Walls (Hyman) -- "popcorn" historical fiction; Egypt/Israel; only "okay" in the writing

- Hittite Warrior (Williamson) -- "classic" historical fiction; ancient Israel/Hittite

- The Bronze Bow (George) -- "classic" historical fiction; ancient Israel/Rome -- upper middle school level for best appreciation

- To Ride the God's Own Stallion (Wilson) -- "popcorn" historical fiction;ancient Assyria

Ancient India

- Buddha Stories (Demi)

Ancient Egypt

"Classic" Historical Fiction:

- Tales of Ancient Egypt (Green) -- myths, and several folktales

- The Golden Goblet (McGraw)

- God King (Williamson)

- Shadow Hawk (Norton) -- late middle school reading level

"Popcorn" Historical Fiction:

- Cat of Bubastes (Henty)

- A Place in the Sun (Rubalcaba)

- The Wadjet Eye (Rubalcaba)

- The Eyes of Pharaoh (Eboch) -- mystery

- Casting the Gods Adrift (McCaughrean)

For Fun:

- The Amulet (Nesbit)

- Time Warp Trio: Tut Tut (Scieszka)

- Kane Chronicles series -- Rick Riordan's (Percy Jackson author) new series, based on ancient Egyptian mythology

Other Ideas:

- I Am the Mummy Heb-Nefert (Bunting) -- for younger elementary, but very worthwhile

- Pepi and the Secret Names (Walsh) -- for younger elementary, but very worthwhile

- Riddle of the Rosetta Stone (Giblin) -- OR -- The 5000 Year Old Secret (Logan)

- Science in Ancient Egypt (Woods)

- Pyramid (Macauley)

Ancient Greece

"Classics":

- Jason and the Golden Fleece (Riordan)

- Black Ships Before Troy (Sutcliffe)

- The Wanderings of Odysseus (Sutcliffe) -- OR -- The Odyssey (McCaughrean)

- The Children's Homer (Colum) -- OR -- The Trojan War (Coolidge)

- In Search of a Homeland (Lively) -- OR -- The Aeneid for Boys and Girls (Church)

- Ides of April (Ray) -- well written and I really enjoyed these, but below high school likely to think they are dull

- Beyond the Desert Gate -- sequel

- Detectives in Togas (Winterfeld)

- Mystery of the Roman Ransom (Winterfeld)

Other Ideas:

- Science in Ancient Greece (Gay)

- Archimedes and the Door of Science (Bendick) -- for younger elementary, but worthwhile

- Galen and the Gateway of Medicine (Bendick) -- for younger elementary, but worthwhile

- Tales from the Odyssey (Osborne)

- Favorite Greek Myths (Osborne)

- Pegasus (Mayer) -- picture book, but a lovely retelling of the Greek myth

For Fun:

- The Iliad and the Odyssey (Williams) -- a favorite with our DSs when younger

Ancient Rome

"Classics":

- Ides of April (Ray) -- well written and I really enjoyed these, but below high school likely to think they are dull

- Eagle of the Ninth (Sutcliff) -- can also try the sequels: The Silver Branch; The Lantern Bearers

- Twice Freed (St. John)

- Roman mystery series (Lawrence)

- Tiger, Tiger (Banks)

For Fun:

- Time Warp Trio: See You Later, Gladiator (Scieszka)

- Rome Antics (Macauley)

I'm currently working on putting together a free history plan for Ancient Egypt (Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome will follow when that one is complete). These are some of the book options I have listed for 7-9 grades and where I found them. The starred items are biographies:

The Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis McGraw (library)

The Cat of Bubastes by GA Henty (free on Kindle)

Pharoah's Daughter: A Novel of Ancient Egypt by Julius Lester (library)

The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (library)

*Cleopatra Rules: The Amazing Life of the Original Teen Queen by Vicky Shecter

*Temples, Tombs, and Hieroglyphs: A Popular History of Ancient Egypt by Barbara Mertz (library)

Here's the list for 4-6 grades:

Maia of Thebes by Ann Warren Turner (library)

Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise McGraw

The Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis McGraw (library)

The Cat of Bubastes by GA Henty (free on Kindle)

Step into Ancient Egypt by Philip Steele (library)

Peril at the Pyramids by LA Peacock (library)

The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (library)

*Cleopatra Rules: The Amazing Life of the Original Teen Queen by Vicky Shecter (library)

*Tutankhamun: The Mystery of the Boy King by Zahi Hawass (library)

Some of them repeat. I have a more advanced 4th grader (soon to be 5th) who can handle reading higher reading levels. Keep that in mind as you look these over. I have read some of these but not all, so be sure to preview them. They may or may not be appropriate for your household.

HTH!

Not a fan here of Roger Lancelyn Green (dull and lifeless -- with one exception, below) and GA Henty books (like "dime novels" -- rather unrealistic and about action, with no depth, plus, painfully racist at times), but there are others who do really enjoy their works, so that might be something to look into. More ideas below. Happy reading! Warmly, Lori D.

- Motel of the Mysteries (Macauley) -- VERY tongue in cheek look at archeologists "interpreting" their finds

Ancient Mesopotamia / Israel / Hittite/ Assyria

- Gilgamesh the Hero (McCaughrean) -- "classic" historical fiction; ancient Mesopotamia

- The Golden Bull (Cowley) -- "popcorn" historical ficion; ancient Mesopotamia

- Science in Ancient Mesopotamia (Moss) -- non-fiction

- God King (Williamson) -- "popcorn" historical fiction; Egypt/Israel

- Victory on the Walls (Hyman) -- "popcorn" historical fiction; Egypt/Israel; only "okay" in the writing

- Hittite Warrior (Williamson) -- "classic" historical fiction; ancient Israel/Hittite

- The Bronze Bow (George) -- "classic" historical fiction; ancient Israel/Rome -- upper middle school level for best appreciation

- To Ride the God's Own Stallion (Wilson) -- "popcorn" historical fiction;ancient Assyria

Ancient India

- Buddha Stories (Demi)

Ancient Egypt

"Classic" Historical Fiction:

- Tales of Ancient Egypt (Green) -- myths, and several folktales

- The Golden Goblet (McGraw)

- God King (Williamson)

- Shadow Hawk (Norton) -- late middle school reading level

- Cat of Bubastes (Henty)

- A Place in the Sun (Rubalcaba)

- The Wadjet Eye (Rubalcaba)

- The Eyes of Pharaoh (Eboch) -- mystery

- Casting the Gods Adrift (McCaughrean)

For Fun:

- The Amulet (Nesbit)

- Time Warp Trio: Tut Tut (Scieszka)

- Kane Chronicles series -- Rick Riordan's (Percy Jackson author) new series, based on ancient Egyptian mythology

Other Ideas:

- I Am the Mummy Heb-Nefert (Bunting) -- for younger elementary, but very worthwhile

- Pepi and the Secret Names (Walsh) -- for younger elementary, but very worthwhile

- Riddle of the Rosetta Stone (Giblin) -- OR -- The 5000 Year Old Secret (Logan)

- Science in Ancient Egypt (Woods)

- Pyramid (Macauley)

Ancient Greece

"Classics":

- Jason and the Golden Fleece (Riordan)

- Black Ships Before Troy (Sutcliffe)

- The Wanderings of Odysseus (Sutcliffe) -- OR -- The Odyssey (McCaughrean)

- The Children's Homer (Colum) -- OR -- The Trojan War (Coolidge)

- In Search of a Homeland (Lively) -- OR -- The Aeneid for Boys and Girls (Church)

- Detectives in Togas (Winterfeld)

- Mystery of the Roman Ransom (Winterfeld)

Other Ideas:

- Science in Ancient Greece (Gay)

- Archimedes and the Door of Science (Bendick) -- for younger elementary, but worthwhile

- Galen and the Gateway of Medicine (Bendick) -- for younger elementary, but worthwhile

- Tales from the Odyssey (Osborne)

- Favorite Greek Myths (Osborne)

- Pegasus (Mayer) -- picture book, but a lovely retelling of the Greek myth

For Fun:

- The Iliad and the Odyssey (Williams) -- a favorite with our DSs when younger

Ancient Rome

"Classics":

- Eagle of the Ninth (Sutcliff) -- can also try the sequels: The Silver Branch; The Lantern Bearers

- Twice Freed (St. John)

- Roman mystery series (Lawrence)

- Tiger, Tiger (Banks)

For Fun:

- Time Warp Trio: See You Later, Gladiator (Scieszka)

- Rome Antics (Macauley)

What a comprehensive list! Thanks for sharing it! :)

These posts really helped me add to my list as well! I'd like to add that my elder daughter really enjoyed Lawrence's Roman Mystery series. Each focuses on an aspect of Roman life, so even they are 'popcorn' reading, your child is still absorbing facts. Both my girls are addicted to the Horrible Histories series by Terry Deary (not fiction, but fun) - we pick them up cheaply when we're home in the UK, so I don't know how available they are here.

• 2 weeks later...

The Roman Mysteries were a hit with DS 12 & DD 9. Son swallowed them whole, several a week; I recommend getting them from the library if you don't want to tithe to Amazon. They are kids' books, at the level of (say) Magic Treehouse.

We, too, love the Horrible Histories. The videos are a treat, doled out after school to well-behaved, pleading children.

I could not get him hooked on the Sutcliff books. Something did not click.

As we approached the study of the invasion of Britain, as well as a real-life visit to Britain, we turned to the Eagle Series by Simon Scarrow. These follow Rome's Second Legion from Germany to Britain to Syria and beyond. These are not kids' books, but an advanced reader will do fine. My son is hooked, and is now on volume 8. We had to pick up one of the volumes (Eagle in the Sand) in England, since it is out of print here. We visited ruins of the Second Legion's garrison when we were in Wales, which was an amazing collision of literature, hiking and history.

Has anyone ever read the Makers of History series by Jacob Abbott? I downloaded the bios of Hannibal and A the Great on Kindle (for free) and they seem to be pretty good. We'll see how DS likes them.

I just realized this thread was about fiction. So much for paying attention.

Watching with interest. Also, I am surprised up thread that the Roman Mysteries were likened to Magic Treehouse level. I thought them more progressed than that.

The Roman Mysteries series by Caroline Lawrence is not on the same reading level as Magic Treehouse. The latter are easy chapter books and I wouldn't characterize Lawrence's books as such. The font is so much smaller anyway that a beginner reader would find it overwhelming, so I really think these books are geared towards upper elementary to middle school level. I would place the reading level at about Percy Jackson/Red Pyramid series.

Yep. That is what I thought too. I just read one and it was much more advanced than MT.

The Roman Mysteries series by Caroline Lawrence is not on the same reading level as Magic Treehouse. The latter are easy chapter books and I wouldn't characterize Lawrence's books as such. The font is so much smaller anyway that a beginner reader would find it overwhelming, so I really think these books are geared towards upper elementary to middle school level. I would place the reading level at about Percy Jackson/Red Pyramid series.

Roman Mysteries lie right between MTH and Percy Jackson on Lexile score.

The more advanced MTH have a Lexile of 580, the less advanced Roman Mysteries 660,

and Percy Jackson is 740.

That's the numbers. In part I also judge by how quickly the books get swallowed. In our house the Roman Mysteries are gone in a flash and while the historical details stick (which I love!) the narratives are not complicated enough to require much thinking or create a memory. Does that make sense?

It makes sense. They are a higher (albeit slight for some) reading level than MTH, which was my point. :)

I think your kids devour them more quickly because they are more exciting than MTH ;)

Roman Mysteries lie right between MTH and Percy Jackson on Lexile score.

The more advanced MTH have a Lexile of 580, the less advanced Roman Mysteries 660,

and Percy Jackson is 740.

That's the numbers. In part I also judge by how quickly the books get swallowed. In our house the Roman Mysteries are gone in a flash and while the historical details stick (which I love!) the narratives are not complicated enough to require much thinking or create a memory. Does that make sense?

So I checked out Under the Eagle at the library. I was excited because the reading level would provide an appropriate challenge for my 10 year old. It is an adult book. However, by the end of the first chapter I couldn't even read it. The F-word was rampant in addition to other inappropriate language and references to prostitution. Glad I started pre-reading it first! Brownie

For pure fun, don't forget the Myth O Mania series by Kate McMullen (Have A Hot Time, Hades! Nice Shot, Cupid! Phone Home, Persephone! Etc)

and

Robin Price's Spartapuss Tales-- Catligula, I Am Spartapuss, Die, Clawdius, and Boudicat!

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you read it first! It is a book about soldiers and war, and the rough dialogue definitely reflects that. I should have added that caution.

So I checked out Under the Eagle at the library. I was excited because the reading level would provide an appropriate challenge for my 10 year old. It is an adult book. However, by the end of the first chapter I couldn't even read it. The F-word was rampant in addition to other inappropriate language and references to prostitution. Glad I started pre-reading it first! Brownie

Here's a fun, light read that I found at our library book sale ages ago...

Odysseus in the Serpent Maze

http://www.amazon.com/Odysseus-Serpent-Maze-Before-Heroes/dp/B0064XQDRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373588330&sr=8-1&keywords=odysseus+in+the+serpent+maze

It's a story about the character Odusseus... what he might have been like when he was young and what he might have went through.