Robin M

WEM: Don Quixote, still in progress

To Read:

Morning and Evening Prayers for All Days of the Week, Dr. John Habermann

The Witness, Nora Roberts

Whiskey Beach, Nora Roberts

Read Aloud with DD:

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, C.S. Lewis

A light week but maybe I'll find something at the library today.

I'm currently out of the country and needed to travel light, so I abandoned my to-read pile and brought a nicely compact Penguin edition of The Brothers Karamazov

You are the only person I know who thinks traveling light = The Brothers Karamazov! ;) :D

I seemed to be battling a sinus issue this week which made reading unpleasant.

Hope you're feeling better now.

I've read 28 or 29 books. We moved this week and that involved a cross country drive (I can't read in a moving vehicle) and lots of unpacking once we got here so I'm still only about halfway through An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. I'm really enjoying it, though it has made me realize I am actually kind of a freak.

Congrats on handling a cross-country move & drive! You deserve to put your feet up for that one, for sure. I haven't read An Abundance of Katherines -- is that why you're a freak? LOL. (Just curious about your comment...???)

Now to decide on how I want to watch Apocalypse Now. They don't have it on Netflix or at my library, and I don't have Amazon Prime. I think I may check out the video rental place.

Personally, I love Apocalypse Now as a modernized version of Heart of Darkness. It works wonderfully, imo. (But, it's probably not a movie to everyone's liking. It is incredibly brutal in places & shows the horrors of war.)

https://www.youtube....h?v=Tt0xxAMTp8M

I made an executive decision this morning to postpone everything until after July 4. No one in my house is ready for academics, including the teacher.

I agree!

What gives? This is the second time I've "lost" this thread. It doesn't show up under my contents like it usually does.

Nor is it showing in mine.

Did we forget to bribe the moderators? Is this a conspiracy to lure us away from our books? Can we blame this on hackers or spies or some poster's child who wants Mom to get her nose out of a book and take him swimming?

Maybe we need to keep bumping the thread so we don't lose it.

I've had the same thing happen too (but not today). We cannot be going around losing this thread! It's the most important one on here! :hurray:

Hmmm! That is odd. It didn't show up in my content this morning either. But it's happening for other folks too on other threads so at least we know it isn't a vast book conspiracy. :ph34r: I usually have the thread bookmarked on my Iphone and nook since read it so often. Can't lose if you book mark it.

I finished Congo and started on the 3rd book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series - Waste Land.

Finished Dracula and will give it a big :glare: . Killed my favorite character. The climax was lacking, imo.

One more classic I could've done without. :leaving:

Just wait until you read Frankenstein, if you haven't already. :rolleyes:

You are the only person I know who thinks traveling light = The Brothers Karamazov! ;)

Well it was just a question of 'What has the highest ratio of text to heft?'

I needn't have brought books for the littles, however; the bookstores and library are awash with Enid Blyton (Wikipedia says she wrote upwards of 600 books, and I think Wee Girl plans to plow through them all), and the library has all of Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons books (did you know he was a spy???), which is keeping Middle Girl up late in the evenings. Well, that and it not getting dark until eleven.

I have. I think I like it better. In Dracula there was little if any point of view of Dracula. I kept expecting to read more and more of his life and the development of Dracula. Nope. At least in Frankenstein one gets that. I get the theme of the book. In Dracula....um.

LOL. I loved Dracula. (And vampires are still my favorites in in the 'horror' genre.) I didn't love Frankenstein (though I'm glad I read it because it was very different from what I expected). Actually, the events surrounding her writing of Frankenstein in the first place were more interesting than the story itself, I think. And, I think I linked this article awhile ago, but I looked it up again because I thought it has some interesting info about when she wrote the book:

http://www.space.com/13112-frankenstein-moon-mary-shelley-mystery.html

Well it was just a question of 'What has the highest ratio of text to heft?'

I figured that was the case, but I had to give you a little ribbing anyway. ;) :lol:

What gives? This is the second time I've "lost" this thread. It doesn't show up under my contents like it usually does.

Nor is it showing in mine.

Did we forget to bribe the moderators? Is this a conspiracy to lure us away from our books? Can we blame this on hackers or spies or some poster's child who wants Mom to get her nose out of a book and take him swimming?

Maybe we need to keep bumping the thread so we don't lose it.

I've had the same thing happen too (but not today). We cannot be going around losing this thread! It's the most important one on here! :hurray:

It's not showing up in my Contents, either.

Also, I posted responses in a couple other threads yesterday and those are not showing up in Contents, either . . .

Robin asked a question this week about our comfort books. Yesterday I gave a quick answer about having many which is very true. Today (due to sunshine and warm weather) we skipped school and went for a really long walk. I started pondering that question. One of my all time favorite series, one I love enough to own and keep even after the big move, is the Elizabeth MacPherson series by Sharyn McCrumb. The first is called "Sick of Shadows". I wish I could link!

Elizabeth is a forensic anthropologist who has some great adventures. They are funny. Depending on the book set in the southern US or UK(usually Scotland). Probably becoming a bit dated (written in the 90's) but I just found them for kindle at the e library so not forgotten.

I am not sure how many times I have picked one of these up when feeling sad. I almost brought them with me from the States this year. Definately deserving of the comfort book title!

I have also started White Teeth by Zadie Smith, a novel I have wanted to read for quite awhile now....

From Kirkus Reviews

An impressively witty satirical first novel, London-set, chronicling the experiences of two eccentric multiracial families during the last half of the 20th century. When Archie Joness suicide attempt on New Years Day 1975 is stymied by a finicky butcher (who frowns upon such things taking place in a car parked illegally in front of his establishment, especially when hes awaiting an early morning delivery), his life is changed forever. Lamenting the break up of his marriage, the distraught and disoriented Archiea middle-aged Brit who fancies himself in the direct-mail business but actually spends his life folding papers then wanders into an end-of-the-world party where he meets his next wife. Jamaican Clara Bowden is 19 to Archies 47, at six feet tall she towers over him, and shes missing all her upper teeth, the result of a motorcycle mishap. Nonetheless, six weeks later the mismatched pair are married and living near Archies WWII buddy Samad Iqbal, a Bengali Muslim. And so begins Smiths frenetic, riotous, unruly tale, which hops, skips, and jumps from one end of the century to the other while following the Jones and Iqbal broods. Archie and Clara have a daughter, Irie, whose name translates into ``no problem'' (although she has plenty of them); Samad, who is head waiter at an Indian restaurant, has twin sons, Millat and Magid. When theyre nine, their father separates the boys, sending Magid back to Bangladesh to be raised the old-fashioned way, far from the corruption of postwar London, filled with its mods and rockers and hippies and Englishmen and other bad influencesincluding Samad himself, who has been lusting after his twins schoolteacher. There isnt much of a plot here, the book being swept along by a series of sometimes hilarious, oft-times clever, occasionally tedious riffs on everything from race relations through eugenics and on to religion, but 25-year-old Smith is a marvelously talented writer with a wonderful ear for dialogue.

I read a fabulous book on Sunday! It's called Every Day by David Levithan. Every day the main character wakes up in a new body and spends the day as that person. But what will happen when s/he falls in love with the girlfriend of a body he's in? I couldn't put it down!

In semi-rush so read the posts but don't have time to do many replies (couldn't resist doing at least one.)

If you click on follow this thread it shows up under threads you follow, which is less convenient than under "my content." I did that when I didn't post the first time I clicked on this thread. The drawback is that then every single post here shows up under your notifications, so if you're checking for a reply to a question or someone quotes your post for a reply, it's harder to find them.

Last night I finished Across the Universe by Beth Revis. Somewhere near the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not, but in the end I gave it 4 stars . My eldest dd had read it, so I ordered copies of the next two books under both of our cards so I don't have to wait for her to read them first.

Read an interesting book review for Here's Looking at Euclid. Sounds like a neat book. Has anyone read it?

My library has it, so I'll request it once I'm back home.

No, but I like the punny title. Wasn't it Humphrey Bogart who immortalized that line, "Here's looking at you, kid?"

The story in the Art Forger was ok, but I really liked the art history woven in.

You might like the Dante Club by Matthew Pearl.

My lirary has it! Thank you. I suspect it is in their storage so it might take awhile but the request is in.

The House at the End of Hope Street by Menna van Praag. I really enjoyed this one. From Amazon:

A magical debut about an enchanted house that offers refuge to women in their time of need

Distraught that her academic career has stalled, Alba is walking through her hometown of Cambridge, England, when she finds herself in front of a house she’s never seen before, 11 Hope Street. A beautiful older woman named Peggy greets her and invites her to stay, on the house’s usual conditions: she has ninety-nine nights to turn her life around. With nothing left to lose, Alba takes a chance and moves in.

She soon discovers that this is no ordinary house. Past residents have included Virginia Woolf and Dorothy Parker, who, after receiving the assistance they needed, hung around to help newcomers—literally, in talking portraits on the wall. As she escapes into this new world, Alba begins a journey that will heal her wounds—and maybe even save her life.

My comfort books are the Miss Read books, especially the Fairacre novels.

Total so far: 65

The House at the End of Hope Street by Menna van Praag. I really enjoyed this one. From Amazon:

A magical debut about an enchanted house that offers refuge to women in their time of need

Distraught that her academic career has stalled, Alba is walking through her hometown of Cambridge, England, when she finds herself in front of a house she’s never seen before, 11 Hope Street. A beautiful older woman named Peggy greets her and invites her to stay, on the house’s usual conditions: she has ninety-nine nights to turn her life around. With nothing left to lose, Alba takes a chance and moves in.

She soon discovers that this is no ordinary house. Past residents have included Virginia Woolf and Dorothy Parker, who, after receiving the assistance they needed, hung around to help newcomers—literally, in talking portraits on the wall. As she escapes into this new world, Alba begins a journey that will heal her wounds—and maybe even save her life.

Oh, looks good.

I've started a Wodehouse book. I need it to wash out Dracula from my brain.

P.G. Wodehouse is my go-to pick me up when I'm sad.

Recently downloaded My Man Jeeves - my first P.G. Wodehouse.

I read a fabulous book on Sunday! It's called Every Day by David Levithan. Every day the main character wakes up in a new body and spends the day as that person. But what will happen when s/he falls in love with the girlfriend of a body he's in? I couldn't put it down!

Sounds really interesting. Added it to my wishlist.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one as well. Fun checking out the different ladies who were mentioned in the story - lots of rabbit trails to follow

Robin asked a question this week about our comfort books. Yesterday I gave a quick answer about having many which is very true. Today (due to sunshine and warm weather) we skipped school and went for a really long walk. I started pondering that question. One of my all time favorite series, one I love enough to own and keep even after the big move, is the Elizabeth MacPherson series by Sharyn McCrumb. The first is called "Sick of Shadows". I wish I could link!

Elizabeth is a forensic anthropologist who has some great adventures. They are funny. Depending on the book set in the southern US or UK(usually Scotland). Probably becoming a bit dated (written in the 90's) but I just found them for kindle at the e library so not forgotten.

I am not sure how many times I have picked one of these up when feeling sad. I almost brought them with me from the States this year. Definately deserving of the comfort book title!

Here it is - checked out the excerpt - looks good. Another one to add to my wishlist.

I'm still working my way through school books. I'm trying to do at least a chapter a day of chemistry, so I can move on to working Geometry problems for next year, so I've stuck to more free books that I can't get to lost in over the last week or two. I did read Tiger Magic by Jennifer Ashley today as a treat. I enjoy the Shifters Unbound series and this is another good installment.

Completed:

Book #43 - "I Thought It Was Just Me (But It Isn't)" by Brene Brown. I think I loved this book. I'm still reeling a bit from the places this made my head go. Emotional things I thought I'd successfully balled up and shoved in the back of the closet.

Book #42 - "Be Still: Using Principles of the Gospel to Lower Anxiety" by G. Sheldon Martin. LDS author. Read this because someone at church said she based her lesson on it and I found the lesson ... umm... harmful. The teacher kept trying to teach that sincere repentance is all you need to cure mental illness. Glad to report that the author, who is a mental health counselor, is not the source of the teacher's odd ideas.

Book #41 - "Daring Greatly" - by Brene Brown.

Book #40 - "The New Testament" - Authorized King James Version (1611). (Inspiration)

Book #39 - "Teachings of Presidents of the Church - Lorenzo Snow"

Book #38 - "The Red Badge of Courage" by Stephen Crane. (WEM)

Book #37 - "Recovering Charles" by Jason F. Wright.

Book #36 - "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain. (WEM)

Book #35 - "Maphead" by Ken Jennings.

Book #34 - "Portrait of a Lady" by Henry James. (WEM)

Book #33 - "Earthly Deligihts" by Kerry Greenwood. (Australian author, Australian setting.)

Book #32 - "The Year of Learning Dangerously" by Quinn Cummings.

Book #31 - "The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #30 - "The Forgotten Affairs of Youth" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #29 - "The Charming Quirks of Others" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #28 - "I am Half-Sice of Shadows" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #27 - ""Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs" by Ken Jennings.

Book #26 - "Because I Said So!: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales & Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids" by Ken Jennings.

Book #25 - "A Red Herring Without Mustard" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #24 - "The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing" by Tarquin Hall. (British author, Indian setting.)

Book #23 - "The Lost Art of Gratitude" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #22 - "The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #21 - "Academic Homeschooling: How to Give Your Child an Amazing Education and Survive" by Tracy Chatters.

Book #20 - "The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #19 - "The Return of the Native" by Thomas Hardy. (WEM.)

Book #18 - "The Careful Use of Compliments" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #17 - "The Right Attitude to Rain" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #16 - "Inspector Singh Investigates: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder" by Shamini Flint. (Singaporean author, Malaysian setting.)

Book #15 - "Friends, Lovers, Chocolate" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #14 - "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #13 - "Portuguese Irregular Verbs" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/]Scottish author, German character, German/Swiss/Italian/Ireland/Indian settings.)

Book #12 - "In Cold Pursuit" by Sarah Andrews. (Antarctica setting.)

Book #11 - "Anna Karenina" by Leo Nikoleyevich Tolstoy. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #10 - "The Sunday Philosophy Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #9 - "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #8 - "The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #7 - "The Double Comfort Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #6 - " Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #5 - "Crime and Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Went to the local library here (while I'm out of town) & am always so pleased to peruse their 'new' shelves (which seem to have so many more goodies than my libraries at home). So, tonight I found a couple of Europa Edition books (my loves) & sat down & read one this evening: I Will Have Vengeance by Maurizio de Giovanni. It's a new one from their "World Noir" series. I'd probably give it 3.5 stars. It's an enjoyable mystery set in 1930s Naples & is an interesting mix of noir & The Sixth Sense, imo. It was compelling enough that I read it all in one siting. Recommended, esp. for fans of noir &/or mysteries.

Last week I finished (25) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. Loved it!!!! My favorite of Agatha's so far. I'm almost finished with The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton and it's another winner as well. Not sure what I am starting next.

Last week I finished (25) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. Loved it!!!! My favorite of Agatha's so far. I'm almost finished with The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton and it's another winner as well. Not sure what I am starting next.

That is one of my favorite Agatha Christies too.:)

I have finished "I am Half-Sick of Shadows" by Alan Bradley. I really enjoyed it. I think it might be my favorite Flavia so far -- I am reading in order!

Also finished one by a new to me author, Elly Griffiths. I read "The Crossing Places" but Goodreads keeps recommending the third one in this series. I was able to get the first so started there. I liked it but it was about child murders set against archaeological sacrifice so dark mood throughout. Not for everyone but I like archeology/forensic/ mystery so a good fit. :lol: I have already put a hold on the next in the series.

I finally finished JA Jance "Until Proven Guilty", the first in her JP Beaumont series. This one was about a child murder too.:( Also had a religious group investigation so not for many. I liked it but only because I know I need the character info for the rest or the series. A massive reread.

This latest quirk in the boards (failure to link to new content) almost led me to post in last week's thread. Fortunately I realized that this is June and not May...

Four stars to The Elegance of the Hedgehog! And thanks to Storm Bay and MMV for encouraging me to pick up this one which I greatly enjoyed. In fact, I plan to read Muriel Barbery's first novel, Gourmet Rhapsody, which shares the same setting, characters and an overlapping time period.

I finished Jane and Prudence by Barbara Pym. I liked it a lot even though there was little plot. The characters grew and better knew themselves by the end. Beautifully written. It could take a lifetime to trace all the allusions of poetry and literature.

I finished Jane and Prudence by Barbara Pym. I liked it a lot even though there was little plot. The characters grew and better knew themselves by the end. Beautifully written. It could take a lifetime to trace all the allusions of poetry and literature.

Glad to hear you enjoyed my old friend Barbara Pym! I am really looking forward to hearing the BBC radio dramatization of Jane and Prudence. The first episode airs tomorrow and will be available for online listening during the week following. Link.

Glad to hear you enjoyed my old friend Barbara Pym! I am really looking forward to hearing the BBC radio dramatization of Jane and Prudence. The first episode airs tomorrow and will be available for online listening during the week following. Link.

Thanks, Jane. I think I read Excwllent Women at your recommendation a couple of years ago. I liked Jane and Prudence better ... evwn though for about half the book I didn't care for Jane. By the end I was a fan.

Isn't it fun when posts just randomly vanish or just don't show up at all? :glare: I know I posted this here a few days ago. The boards has been completely wacky for me lately. Oh well.

Finally finished, "The Geography of Bliss" by Eric Weiner. I wish it was something I could hand to my 14 yr. old because I think he would like it, but he's a rather young and naive 14 and there were a couple of things that just weren't appropriate. I enjoyed it though.

Completed So Far

1. Best Friends by Samantha Glen

2. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

3. The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell by Bruce Coston

4. Nim Chimpsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human by Elizabeth Hess

5. Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine

6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

7. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney

8. The Odyssey by Homer (Fagles translation)

9. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

10. The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling by Quinn Cummings

11. Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson

12. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

13. Tales of an African Vet by Dr. Roy Aronson

14. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

15. The Romanovs: The Final Chapter by Robert K. Massie

16. Kisses From Katie by Katie Katie Davis

17. Iguanas for Dummies by Melissa Kaplan

18. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

19. Zoo by James Patterson

20. St. Lucy's School for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell

21. Russian Tortoises in Captivity by Jerry D. Fife

22. Leopard Geckos for Dummies by Liz Palika

23. The 8th Confession by James Patterson

24. Leopard Geckos: Caring for Your New Pet by Casey Watkins

25. The Ultimate Guide to Leopard Geckos by Phoenix Hayes Simmons

26. 9th Judgement by James Patterson

27. 10th Anniversary by James Patterson

28. 11th Hour by James Patterson

29. 12th of Never by James Patterson

30. Chasing Science at Sea: Racing Hurricanes, Stalking Sharks, and Living Undersea With Ocean Experts by Ellen J. Prager

31. Dolphin Mysteries: Unlocking the Secrets of Communication by Kathleen M. Dudzinski & Toni Frohoff

32. The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner

Isn't it fun when posts just randomly vanish or just don't show up at all? :glare: I know I posted this here a few days ago. The boards has been completely wacky for me lately. Oh well.

You have a June 5 post that was made in the Week 22 thread. The misbehaving "new content" button is the problem, I think.

Yeah, I think you accidentally posted under last week's thread. It showed up under "Content I Follow" in my subscriptions as a new post.

You have a June 5 post that was made in the Week 22 thread. The misbehaving "new content" button is the problem, I think.

D'oh! Well, don't I feel stupid. :blush:

It's not the only issue I'm having with the board though so I guess I just automatically assumed the board ate it. It doesn't even show up in "my content" that I posted on either thread.

Not sure how I managed to read two books in the same week with similar titles but I did. Just fnished "Sick of Shadows" by Sharyn McCrumb. The first in my series of comfort books. Not one of my usual choices for rereading -- I like the forensic ones best. The characters are funny. It really is a great cozy mystery -- it just doesn't fit my description of the series very well so I am a bit embarrassed! Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I also read "Back to th Bedroom" by Janet Evanovich while riding in the car today. Not what it sounds like! Just a plain old republished romance.

Got in 2 audiobooks on our drive to and from OBX. Men of Iron read by Jim Weiss and Runaway Ralph read by BD Wong. Over all enjoyed both.

Am feeling more "caught up" with five books this week!

Did Tropical Storm Andrea bother you during your stay on the OBX? Sounds like you had a good reading filled vacation!