Menu

Mackinac Island - vacation help needed

Amethyst

We had been thinking about going to Disney in July. But we're having second thoughts about going south in July and thought maybe north is the way to go. We're starting to think about Mackinac Island. We'll be driving from Pennsylvania. Has anyone been there? Any advice? Good for families, or not? TIA

We love Mackinac Island!!! It is absolutely wonderful for families. I have kids of all ages and we all found things to do. We rented bikes, rode horses, took a horse and buggy ride, toured the fort, went to the butterfly garden, threw rocks into the lake, and of course, relaxed.

I have to say, I've never been in July, so I can't say how bad the crowds will be, but it has to be more pleasant weather-wise in MI than in FL!!!

We always stay at the Grand Hotel (off season!) and LOVE it there. There are plenty of other options ON the island though. We have friends who stay there regularly and I can ask them where they stay if you like. I know my sister stayed in St. Ignace one year right on the water and loved it. There are more options in Mackinac City, however.

If you want to visit other things - we loved the Sault Ste. Marie lock tour. Definitely worth the money to see first hand how the locks work. It's only about an hour north of the bridge. This year we are going to hike near Taquemanon Falls as well. Someday we'll also get to Pictured Rock State Park. I'd love to kayak there! Oh - and if you like cheap touristy - check out the Mystery Spot. I think it was $25 and took us about an hour. It was really fun, but a little cheesy!!!

And, of course, if you are coming up I75, you MUST visit me!!!

I've never been to Mackinac Island, but my parents have, and I've looked into it before because we thought about going. I think it looks gorgeous! It would be a completely different experience than Disney of course, but given the ages of your children, I definitely think it could be just as fun -- in a different way. I'm sure our family would prefer Mackinac over Disney. It can be as relaxing or busy as you want. You can rent bikes, stroll the cute downtown, go hiking, visit the fort, eat out, I think there is even a movie theater on the island. I've always wanted to see the Grand Hotel there, after watching the movie Somewhere in Time.

We love Mackinac Island!!! It is absolutely wonderful for families. I have kids of all ages and we all found things to do. We rented bikes, rode horses, took a horse and buggy ride, toured the fort, went to the butterfly garden, threw rocks into the lake, and of course, relaxed.

I have to say, I've never been in July, so I can't say how bad the crowds will be, but it has to be more pleasant weather-wise in MI than in FL!!!

We always stay at the Grand Hotel (off season!) and LOVE it there. There are plenty of other options ON the island though. We have friends who stay there regularly and I can ask them where they stay if you like. I know my sister stayed in St. Ignace one year right on the water and loved it. There are more options in Mackinac City, however.

If you want to visit other things - we loved the Sault Ste. Marie lock tour. Definitely worth the money to see first hand how the locks work. It's only about an hour north of the bridge. This year we are going to hike near Taquemanon Falls as well. Someday we'll also get to Pictured Rock State Park. I'd love to kayak there! Oh - and if you like cheap touristy - check out the Mystery Spot. I think it was $25 and took us about an hour. It was really fun, but a little cheesy!!!

Yes, this. We just got back from our annual trip. Wonderful place!

We always bike around the island a couple of times, bring kites & fly them in the park next to the school, have a picnic with fudge, do some letterboxing, explore, explore, explore. So much fun.

Okay, this is sounding really good. I think we might like this better than Disney. Biking, kite flying, horseback riding, letterboxing, strolling...this sounds perfect. I'm assuming that since there is an island, that there are beaches? It's not all marinas, is it?

We could save ourselves a half hour of driving if we went through Canada, but our passports have expired. We do need passports now, right?

I'm going to go check out the Grand Hotel right now...

Mackinaw is wonderful. You can rent bikes on the island or pay to take your own over on the ferry. Last year we did the private carriage ride tour and while it was $150 for the 6 of us, it was a highlight of the trip for the kids. We just had too many people for the drive yourself ones.

You can stay on the island or Mackinaw City. There are more beaches in Mackinaw but they have more rocks than a pure sugar sand beach. If you get a room with a view of the bridge and a balcony that is great. You can walk around, enjoy some free concerts, historical sites, etc. There is lots of other things to do within an hour or 2.

We are headed there in 2 weeks with our extended family.

We also love Mackinac Island. My FIL actually owns a rental house there, so that's where we stayed. We managed to sneak into the lobby of the Grand Hotel and saw the harp player, but we weren't supposed to do that.

We took the kids there when they were 10 and almost 8. They had so much fun with biking around the island (fun for me too), hiking, doing a carriage ride, and eating fudge of course. The ferry ride out to the island was also a highlight :)

We were there for the 4th of July and it was a lot of fun. I think it was very pricey, but on the 4th of July they hold this celebration in the fort on the island. All the food you can eat, old fashioned dancing, gun salutes, fireworks, cannon fires, etc. It was a blast and something my kids still remember to this day.

Of course, they have also loved Disney too :)

Ugh, the only way I would do Disney in July is if someone else paid for my entire trip! The heat, humidity, crowds. *shudder*

Now, I haven't visited the UP, but I have driven through (in both July and August), and have found it to be so, so pretty. And the weather--- incredible. I have seen it mentioned often as a great place for family vacations. Somewhere up that way along I-75 is a HUGE Paul Bunyan and his ox. ( http://www.roadsidea...com/story/11463) It's cheesy, but really neat. It's very visible when you head north, but easy to miss as you are going south. We stopped once and wandered through the tourist shop and went out to have photos made. Pretty neat! We haven't stopped at the Mystery Spot yet, though, but we intend to one day.

As for travelling through Canada, yes, you would need passports. Sorry. If it makes you feel better about that hour and a half time difference, one accident can shut down the highway there in Canada for *hours*, and since it's only a 2-lane road with no other options, you're pretty much stuck. Not to mention if you get stuck behund a logging truck or one of the million RVs that travel there, you'll have to wait for a passing lane to go around. I would vote for the longer trip. And you'll have rest rooms and 'civilization'. Seriously. My friends routinely enter the US and travel up I-75 back into Canada as it's actually faster. Feeling better yet about not going through Canada? :coolgleamA: Oh yeah... another thing to consider.... entry into the US can be a loonnnggg wait. Especially at The Soo....we have waited over an hour at times and while the view from the bridge is pretty, it gets old *fast*--- we have always crossed in July & August. Just something to consider.

We went three years ago. We stayed in Mackinaw City in a very touristy hotel (Days Inn, I think), but it had a beach and a pool, was really close to one of the ferry lines (3 minute-walk) and we were able to walk to town as well. My son loved the cheesy laser light show they have every night in the center of the outdoor shopping area--we had to go twice!

We spent one day on the island and visited Fort Mackinac and walked around. I liked the island, but was glad we stayed in Mackinaw City instead.

We also visited Colonial Michilimackinac in Mackinaw City. We all enjoyed it--there were musket and cannon demonstrations, a "wedding", and a Children's Life Tour that's all about what a child's life was like at the fort in the late 1700s.

We love going there and our favorite thing to do is get everyone a daypack with lunch and rent bikes for a leisurly ride around the island, stopping halfway around at a nice beach spot for lunch and splashing around. There is also plenty to do in the touristy area of the island - fudge shops, restaurants, the fort, etc., but when we remember our times there our favorite memories are always the bike rides.

The island and city are both quite safe and I would feel comfortable letting the kids wander on their own some if they wanted. Just if you go to the island remember that esp. along the water, temps can be quite a bit cooler than they are on the mainland so often a sweatshirt or light jacket is nice to have--but it can also be warm and sunny.

There is a link for free things to do in Mackinaw as well that has neat ideas.

With the choice between Disne in July or Mackinaw in July I would chose Mackinaw hands down.......and we go to Mackinaw almost every year for the past 35+ years.

We live two hours from the island so we go there once or twice a year.

We stay at Stonecliffe. It's a week where we just all slow down.

There are two butterfly houses. Everyone flies kites. You basically eat your way around the island and walk everywhere. DH and I limit ourselves to one carriage ride in, one carriage ride out from Stonecliffe and the rest of the times we ride bikes or walk it.

We mix it up between touristy stuff like the haunted house and just hanging out with the residents. DH is friends with the island doctor and we've been kicking around the idea of staying there for a year someday. :)

Okay, this is sounding really good. I think we might like this better than Disney. Biking, kite flying, horseback riding, letterboxing, strolling...this sounds perfect. I'm assuming that since there is an island, that there are beaches? It's not all marinas, is it?

We could save ourselves a half hour of driving if we went through Canada, but our passports have expired. We do need passports now, right?

I'm going to go check out the Grand Hotel right now...

There aren't beaches where lots of people hang out if that's what you're thinking. The island road is 8 miles around so it's not a big place. In July you're going to hit prime $$$$ and lots of crowds. If you actually stay on the island it's much quieter at night when all the crowds leave. Beautiful place but mostly opposite of Disney.

I'm getting excited about this! This sounds like it could be very "us". Here's a question: When I look on Google maps, I see 3 islands - a large one, a smallish one, and a third island in between those. Which one is the one known as Mackinac Island? I'm thinking it's the smallish one since that looks like where the ferries go. Is that right? If so, what are the other islands? Places worth seeing? Residential?

One thing we always do is take the ferry to the island out of St. Ignace (north of the bridge). That way we can drive across the Mackinac Bridge, which is always a huge thrill for the kids. If you guys like swimming, continue north on US 2 that travels west from St. Ignace and follows along the Lake Michigan shoreline---all sugar sand beaches that go for miles. You just park along the side of the road.

I lived on the island one summer while in college, working at the Island bookstore. It was a great experience.

We went three years ago. We stayed in Mackinaw City in a very touristy hotel (Days Inn, I think), but it had a beach and a pool, was really close to one of the ferry lines (3 minute-walk) and we were able to walk to town as well. My son loved the cheesy laser light show they have every night in the center of the outdoor shopping area--we had to go twice!

We spent one day on the island and visited Fort Mackinac and walked around. I liked the island, but was glad we stayed in Mackinaw City instead.

We also visited Colonial Michilimackinac in Mackinaw City. We all enjoyed it--there were musket and cannon demonstrations, a "wedding", and a Children's Life Tour that's all about what a child's life was like at the fort in the late 1700s.

Can I ask why you are glad you did not stay on the island? Too touristy on the island? More to do in Mackinaw City?

DH and I moved from MI over 20 years ago. Hi Jennifer!!! Mackinac is a wonderful place. It is in the upper LP so you may like to cross the bridge into the UP for a different, cooling experience. Smart move not to come south in the summer. I've also been thinking about a family vacation to Mackinac. Note the ferry schedule (which "may" begin this weekend) so that you'll have access to the island. Have fun!

I'm really interested in staying at the Grand Hotel. I'm going to call this morning. I hope they still have availability! If not, I'll be asking you for recommendations from your friend.

The lock tour sounds like fun. My dh took the kids to see the locks in NY when we lived up there and they really enjoyed it. But I don't think we'll be doing the UP since we'll already be driving for 12 hours to get there.

And we will be coming up I75, so we might be stopping by! ;)

We also love Mackinac Island. My FIL actually owns a rental house there, so that's where we stayed. We managed to sneak into the lobby of the Grand Hotel and saw the harp player, but we weren't supposed to do that.

We took the kids there when they were 10 and almost 8. They had so much fun with biking around the island (fun for me too), hiking, doing a carriage ride, and eating fudge of course. The ferry ride out to the island was also a highlight :)

We were there for the 4th of July and it was a lot of fun. I think it was very pricey, but on the 4th of July they hold this celebration in the fort on the island. All the food you can eat, old fashioned dancing, gun salutes, fireworks, cannon fires, etc. It was a blast and something my kids still remember to this day.

Of course, they have also loved Disney too :)

It sounds like Fourth of July on the island would be perfect. I'm getting very excited about this. I'm just waiting for the reservations department to open up this morning so I can make some reservations!

As for travelling through Canada, yes, you would need passports. Sorry. If it makes you feel better about that hour and a half time difference, one accident can shut down the highway there in Canada for *hours*, and since it's only a 2-lane road with no other options, you're pretty much stuck. Not to mention if you get stuck behund a logging truck or one of the million RVs that travel there, you'll have to wait for a passing lane to go around. I would vote for the longer trip. And you'll have rest rooms and 'civilization'. Seriously. My friends routinely enter the US and travel up I-75 back into Canada as it's actually faster. Feeling better yet about not going through Canada? :coolgleamA: Oh yeah... another thing to consider.... entry into the US can be a loonnnggg wait. Especially at The Soo....we have waited over an hour at times and while the view from the bridge is pretty, it gets old *fast*--- we have always crossed in July & August. Just something to consider.

Thanks. That does make me feel better about not going through Canada!!!

And we're planning to stop somewhere along the way and stay a night over - one night on the way there and another night on the way back. (Now I just need to figure out where to stay over - that old John Denver song about Toledo Ohio keeps playing in my head and making me want to find some place other than Toledo. I'm open to suggestions, folks!)

Just if you go to the island remember that esp. along the water, temps can be quite a bit cooler than they are on the mainland so often a sweatshirt or light jacket is nice to have--but it can also be warm and sunny.

Quite a bit different from Disney in July, eh?

We stay in Mackinaw City as the hotels are much cheaper, many offer free breakfast, they have indoor pools, etc. Just makes more sense for all of us with our kids (my brother and his wife are coming with their 3 younger kids too and last year my sister was there with her 3 as well).

I would enjoy staying on the island if it was just dh and I sometime. Food can be a bit more expensive but certainly not more than Disney. We often get KFC or Subway in Mackinaw City and take it to a park or beach with the kids.

You do need to see the bridge at night with all of the lights and cross over it at least once.

I've talked to reservations and they have rooms available. But they are offering a package that includes dinner all 3 nights. On one hand it might be a good deal, but I want to make sure they have good food. Anyone ever eat at the main dining room at the Grand Hotel? I'm also concerned because dh and I are not really meat-eaters so the idea of a 5-course meal scares me. Afraid it will be all meat.

Thanks. That does make me feel better about not going through Canada!!!

And we're planning to stop somewhere along the way and stay a night over - one night on the way there and another night on the way back. (Now I just need to figure out where to stay over - that old John Denver song about Toledo Ohio keeps playing in my head and making me want to find some place other than Toledo. I'm open to suggestions, folks!)

I live in Toledo actually so if you decide to stay somewhere near here I can advise you.

The more I explore, the more questions I come up with...

Okay, so there seems to be a "downtown" area right near the ferry. Stonecliffe just told me that they are 2 miles into the interior of the island. Pros and cons of staying in either setting? And does anyone have an idea of where the Grand Hotel would be located? Is it near the downtown or not?

Okay I checked and the Grand Hotel main dining room does have vegetarian options, so that's good. But I still don't know if the food is any good. Has anyone ever eaten dinner there?

Basically the package is adding $400 for the 6 of us to have dinner for 3 nights. I'm thinking that we could take that $400 and eat elsewhere for 3 nights, right? And as an added bonus, my dh won't have to wear a tie to dinner!

DH and I moved from MI over 20 years ago. Hi Jennifer!!! Mackinac is a wonderful place. It is in the upper LP so you may like to cross the bridge into the UP for a different, cooling experience. Smart move not to come south in the summer. I've also been thinking about a family vacation to Mackinac. Note the ferry schedule (which "may" begin this weekend) so that you'll have access to the island. Have fun!

huh? The ferries have been running already. We've been going over Memorial weekend for years (extended family for decades) & they've always been running by now.

I've talked to reservations and they have rooms available. But they are offering a package that includes dinner all 3 nights. On one hand it might be a good deal, but I want to make sure they have good food. Anyone ever eat at the main dining room at the Grand Hotel? I'm also concerned because dh and I are not really meat-eaters so the idea of a 5-course meal scares me. Afraid it will be all meat.

We stay at the Grand every year, with dinner included. My SIL goes as well & she is a vegetarian. There are always one or two vege options for each course. You can actually see their menu online. The rotate between 4 menus all summer, I think. The food is VERY good. There were a few years where it wasn't as good, but they seem to be back on track this year. They are also very accommodating of dietary needs - just ask. Does your package include breakfast as well? That is also superb.

If you do dine there, ask for Federick as your server - he's the best!

Basically the package is adding $400 for the 6 of us to have dinner for 3 nights. I'm thinking that we could take that $400 and eat elsewhere for 3 nights, right? And as an added bonus, my dh won't have to wear a tie to dinner!

Gosh, yes - you could definitely do cheaper & be happy about it. We do the dinner because it's an extended-family tradition & we all love it - including the kids. But it's not a must-do if 5 courses isn't your thing.

Yes it is pronounced Mackinaw.

The island is spelled Mackinac Island and pronounced Mackinaw Island.

The city is spelled Mackinaw and pronounced as such, Mackinaw City.

Also, I had to check Shepler's Ferry schedule. They opened, I think, May 3. I mentioned in an earlier post that they might just now be opening and momoflaw was so kind to point out my mistake. Thanks MOL! But, we won't quibble over a couple of weeks or so, will we!?!!! :tongue_smilie:

Can I ask why you are glad you did not stay on the island? Too touristy on the island? More to do in Mackinaw City?

I tried to answer this earlier today and got an error message. Yes, it's because there is more to do in Mackinaw City (it's definitely not less touristy!). It really depends on what kind of vacation you want. I went with my mom, sisters and son and we needed more to do than walk/bike around the island. I think we would have found staying on the island too confining. Staying on the island does have its advantages though and I'm sure it makes for a relaxing vacation.

My boys just got back from a class field trip to Mackinac and had a blast. Their entire 4th grade class stayed at the Grand. We will be going up this summer as well, but probably just for the day as we live pretty close as well. :)

My dh is worried that because the Grand Hotel has this "hoity toity dress code" that means that the Grand Hotel really caters to a much older crowd and that kids will feel out of place. Your thoughts?

Disclaimer: I haven't been yet.

That said, as stated in my above post, our district sends the 4th graders on an annual trip where they stay at the Grand. I did send my twins with black slacks and black tennis shoes, but that was it. I can only imagine that there is quite a bit of diversity when you regularly host elementary field trips. ;)

My dh is worried that because the Grand Hotel has this "hoity toity dress code" that means that the Grand Hotel really caters to a much older crowd and that kids will feel out of place. Your thoughts?

I understand that fear, but its unnecessary. There are all variety of ages that stay at the Grand. Their kids program is nicely done, too. Everyday you can sign-up for 11:30-2:30 lunch & activity & then again for dinner 6-9. Dinner for the kids may or may not be in the dining room, depends on the day. Not sure if you know, but they also have a buffet available at dinner with kid-friendly food - that adults are welcome to have as well - in addition to or instead of ordering off the 5-course menu. Dinner in the dining room is "fancy" but otherwise the hotel is very casual for the patrons. People are on vacation, spending most of their time outside - & they're dressed for it. Oh - my kids are 2, 5, 8, & 9 - all boys - and we've been going with them for 7 consecutive years. This vacation is the highlight of their year. We are not, in any way, "hoity toity" people. I'm a t-shirt/jeans/chucks girl who loathes etiquette. LOVE staying at the Grand.

For some reason I couldn't respond last night!!! Grrrrr . . . .

The more I explore, the more questions I come up with...

Okay, so there seems to be a "downtown" area right near the ferry. Stonecliffe just told me that they are 2 miles into the interior of the island. Pros and cons of staying in either setting? And does anyone have an idea of where the Grand Hotel would be located? Is it near the downtown or not?

I don't remember exactly how long it is from the Grand to the downtown, but we have always walked it. It takes maybe 15 minutes? There is one steep hill, but by then, you can see the hotel and nobody minds! And, there are a TON of horse and buggy taxis you can take back if you are just too tired to walk it.

Okay I checked and the Grand Hotel main dining room does have vegetarian options, so that's good. But I still don't know if the food is any good. Has anyone ever eaten dinner there?

Depends on what you want out of vacation. We always go to dinner there because we like the formal dinners. And, it's a good deal for our family. We like the formality of coming in from a busy, active day and getting dressed up for dinner. (We cruise for vacation for that same reason!) We find it relaxing and like to linger over our food. Then, we spend time by the pool or watching a movie and relaxing before bed. But, if you'd prefer not to do that, skip the dinner!

My kids have never felt out of place there. But, one of the reasons we decided to start going there was so that they wouldn't feel out of place at a place like that. We found that if you dress them up, they behave!!! It was awesome! And, the dress code at the hotel is just after 5. I'm pretty sure we just wore regular touristy clothing all day and just dressed for dinner. When they were younger, we just put the kids in khakis and polos. Now, they wear jacket and ties.

My dd, when she was three, struck up a friendship with the concierge lady. She asked Meg what she wanted to do on the island. My dd said, "I want to see the library!" The concierge lady thought this was so cute. She made sure to make my dd feel special the rest of our time there. It was awesome!!!

Whatever you decide - you will have a great time!!!

Okay, now that I have reservations for the Grand Hotel, I have to start planning the road part of our journey. :driving:

We'll be passing through or near Youngstown, Akron, Cleveland, and Toledo. I'm basically just planning on getting a hotel for the night, preferably one with a pool. A great pizza place nearby would be cool. But I'm open to ideas. If you can think of a reason that I should stop at one of those cities for the night, please let me know. Recommendations for hotels, restaurants, festival, attractions, etc are welcome. :bigear:

You all have been wonderful and I thank you!