Menu

Inexpensive Graduation Gift Ideas??

mytwomonkeys

Hi,

We have about 7 graduates from high school this year that have sent us announcements or party invitations. I am giving my nephew and best friend's son money, but honestly we just cannot afford to give a monetary gift to all seven. I realize we are not obligated to give a gift. The thing is, we want to give them something. These kids are all dear to our hearts & we want to acknowledge their accomplishment with a gift of some sort. Any ideas of something I could make or do for them?

I would appreciate it so much!

Thanks!

Amy

If you have the ability or know anyone who could assist, embroidered bath towels are always a nice gift, too. Especially if they are going to be living in a dorm or apartment with others, other's can't claim their towels as their own if their initials are embroidered there!

I also had an aunt that made me a neat shower caddy filled with items from the dollar store.

If you know where the grad is going to college, perhaps gift cards for nearby restaurants/theaters the student could walk to? Or gc's for the college bookstore? Gas cards if the student has access to a car while at school?

We know 3 graduates this year and are in the same boat.

Starbucks cards. My oldest two kids didn't wrinkle their noses at $5 gift cards to Starbucks that they received as graduation gifts (can't remember now who gave them- probably someone from church), they merrily enjoyed them.

I might be too late, but for about $10-$15 per kid you can make them money leis. I do this for a lot of graduations and it is always unique and seems to be appreciated. I tend to use about $18 worth of quarters and 5 $1 bills, but you can use smaller coins also if you wanted to keep the cost lower. I always also do them in school colors, so the cellophane is one color and the ribbon and straws I use are the other. I tie about twelve coins, add a straw that I cut way down (to help space it out a little) do a dollar bill (I fold it like shown in the blog but then tape the ends together so it looks like a flower) add another straw piece and repeat. I add twelve more coins afrer the last dollar and then tie the ribbon together (leaving a long piece of just ribbon long enough to rest against the whole back of their neck.) The cellophane is ITCHY and no one want that on the back of their neck all night.

http://thisideaattic.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-make-coin-money-lei.html

Something my daughter received when she graduated that she really appreciated was a mini-photo book. A family friend who had known our daughter since she was little and who is also quite a good amatuer photographer pulled together a selection of pictures she'd taken of my daughter over the years and had a small-format digital scrapbook printed for her. I believe you can have those printed at Walgreens and similar places for just a few dollars.

I buy this book for every graduate in my family.

http://www.amazon.co...=Do Hard Things

Each young man came back to me and thanked me, without their parents prompting them.

I just wanted to point out that I think Amy should probably make sure the intended recipients are Christian, because this book has a definite Christian slant.

I think it could be an excellent choice if the kids are Christian, but if not... maybe not so much.

When I was teaching high school and invited to many graduation parties my go-to gift was doing a small potted plant that they could have in a dorm room or such. I made a small paper scroll to tie on to the pot that looked like a rolled-up diploma—I think I had writing on it that took the place of a card (this was in the early marriage/early career stage of life, so trying to be pretty frugal).

Erica in OR

Perhaps only girls would like this, but how about a 5 year diary/journal? Mine is called One Line a Day (from Amazon), and it only has space for a couple of lines or thoughts for each day. Each page is for the same day, so you can see what you were doing the previous years on that date. With all the changes that take place after graduation, it might be fun to be able to look back over that time. I think it's around $15-$20.