Menu

High School Bible

The diploma program that we will be under next year requires 4 credits in Bible for high school. :blink: Personally, I think this is silly and that Bible should be something that you read to become closer to God, not for a grade. So, I'm having trouble coming up with a curriculum that will check a box, that doesn't take up a ton of time, but that is still something that DS will learn a little something from and be engaged in. The one they are offering at the co-op next year is from Apologia, "I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist" but it is only 1/2 credit for a FULL year of work and is $300. No way am I doing that! Any thoughts?

First, you will want to look at what their requirements are in terms of what you have to do to get this credit.

Personally, I think by the time students reach high school that what they should be getting is more like systematic theology than just reading the Bible. There is a difference between devotional study and scholarly study. Lots of studies indicate youth want this and they are not getting it. If your children are like mine, they already know the Bible forwards and backwards. Now what they need is organizing points.

So talk to your pastor about such works from you denomination. I know a lot of people use Gruden's Systematic Theology as a generic protestant one. If you want to start easy and your denomination has catechism those do this sort of thing too.

I have suggested Ryken's Words of Delight as a book for studying the Bible as literature. He's solid and you could certainly create a year long study from the book.

I also like the Sunday school materials here: http://childrendesiringgod.org/curriculum/curriculaGroup.php?curriculaId=8.

I would just cobble together something myself if I were you. Do you have requirements within "Bible" that must be met? We've been listening to podcasts, reading books (C.S. Lewis), we've watched Schaeffer's How Shall We Then Live series, and many, many other things (including ancient archaeology as it relates to the Bible). We haven't used it for credit, but it has certainly been interesting as well as challenging. If you don't have specific criteria to meet, I think you should just pull together some things that you want your kids to have before leaving home and do that and check off that box :)

Just some random thoughts about the conversation.

I'm sort-of of the opposite opinion, and I feel Bible study is just as important as, say, History or Science. I mean, we're supposed to study when we are up and when we lie down, not just after we finish everything else, and I want my kids to see that I take that seriously. And if my kids were to say that academics is academics, I would reply that every type of academics is within the Bible - history, science, poetry, even some references to math if not actual math study (fairness in weights and measures, taking a census, etc.), and every type of academics has ramifications within the Bible. Sure, we do things outside of Bible Credit, we do Bible studies with church, we do our own prayers and service and whatever. But at my house, our Bible credit is also a part of our day, and just as in-depth as any other high school credit. Fortunately, now I have MFW plans all worked out for me, but before that, I was doing something similar with my older dd.

One other thought running through my mind is about reading the Bible in high school. Candid's children are fortunate in that they know the Bible forward & back, but there are lots of kids who have not read the entire Bible -- actually very few teens OR adults that I've met IRL. So just reading the entire Bible for oneself is something to consider. It's a large book :) and there are lots of simple things that can be done with it (journals, essays, summaries, reference books, Greenleaf guide).

Also, even if your child is blessed to have been through the Bible at the Grammar and/or Logic stages, there is value in doing it again at the Rhetoric stage. For one thing, it's worthy to have the student re-look at the Bible for themselves, rather than on the coattails of his parents, facing some of the quirks and difficult passages with new eyes (wars, supernatural events, order of creation, etc.) and rethinking how his faith addresses those.

Anyways, if that has already been done at the high school level, then I do like some of the suggestions by Candid & Miss Marple, too. I also like doing a Biblical worldview study after that, as we're doing this year. I just wanted to add the idea that a new foundation at the Rhetoric level is worthy of both the time and the academic credit, for some of us.

Julie

For 9th grade, we started a Bible survey course using this curriculum. It got scrapped after the first section in exchange for books, videos, and in depth studies of Paul and Daniel, and whatever else DH decided on that I can't remember right now.

For 10th grade, we're reading I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist and completing the curriculum as the basis for a Christian Truth and Apologetics course. We'll also read the following books, adding in some discussion, writing, and/or projects to flesh it out for a full credit.

For 11th grade, we're doing Christian Worldview, using these books:

I haven't settled on anything for 12th grade yet.

I have assigned credit for Bible when it's been a significant study and required a significant chunk of time -- more than just daily devotions. In the past, my dc have done systematic theology course, apologetics, and Precepts studies for credit. I think the best way to approach in-depth Bible study is in a group. Does your church have something? Many communities have Bible Study Fellowship and Community Bible Study. These studies are non-denominational (though Protestant leanings). You could also have him go through some apologetics materials/readings by C.S. Lewis, Schaeffer and one of my more recent favorites, William Craig Lane.

Lisa

This year we had DS use a new online Bible Program called Bible Mesh. It has an Evangelical Christian Viewpoint(I don't know if that is a plus or minus for your situation) but is a good survey of the Bible. We got it for free because DH is a Pastor but I think it is pretty affordable for a year subscription.

I have assigned credit for Bible when it's been a significant study and required a significant chunk of time -- more than just daily devotions. In the past, my dc have done systematic theology course, apologetics, and Precepts studies for credit. I think the best way to approach in-depth Bible study is in a group. Does your church have something? Many communities have Bible Study Fellowship and Community Bible Study. These studies are non-denominational (though Protestant leanings). You could also have him go through some apologetics materials/readings by C.S. Lewis, Schaeffer and one of my more recent favorites, William Craig Lane.

Lisa

I use my boys Bible Study Fellowship program for a grade for School. It requires a lot of work. but not overwhelming.

Bobbey's list is impressive! :) I'm still working on our plans (too many subjects, ack!), but I got the BJU Bible truths lettered books. A couple of them are really good, and a couple are dry as toast.

Bible Truths D Worktext: Themes from the Old Testament

Bible Truths Directions for Early Christians Student Worktext (3rd Ed.)

They have good pricepoints, and you don't need the tm to use them. I'm hoping to turn them into survey studies using the Zondervan Bible Backgrounds books we have for the ipad. The OT book was authored by Barrett, who's a Presbyterian (in case you like Grudem but don't recognize Barrett). He does a good job of bringing the Sovereignty of God into the real world of a high schooler. Haven't looked at the NT book much yet. It's not the whole NT, but it still looked good. CBD has samples.

Like the others, I'm hoping we can cycle through some themes (survey, then a doctrines book, then some apologetics). I figure the apologetics stuff will become interesting to her, and then we'll know it's time. We have enough lying around, mercy. I read some Grudem in college and have a copy lying around, but iirc Ryrie is a much easier read. He has a survey book I picked up a while back to try with her when the time is right.

I found this at the convention and was so impressed with it, I immediately bought it. Then when my good friend saw it, she wanted a copy too! Philippians in 28 Weeks It comes with BEAUTIFUL memory cards in the back to help you as you memorize the book of Philippians together. Her charming boys said they did it as a co-op. What they encouraged the kids to do was read the book of Philippians through daily during the summer, so that by the time they came to memorizing it in the fall, they were good to go. Just enough structure. I'm very impressed and hope she makes more! Just for your trivia, the same lady has a study guide for a George MacDonald book. The Wise Woman with Literary Analysis Journal Questions Picked that up too and am looking forward to using it.

Scripture Memory Fellowship also has great, affordable Scripture memory materials.

I have some friends who homeschooled who said Bible time was their favorite part of homeschooling high school, that it gave them a chance to slow down and really talk and bond. It seems like things get really rush rush (just watching the boards), so I'm glad for a thread reminding us to slow down and take that time! :)

Kind of a tie-in with what Lisa was saying about getting it into a group structure, what kind of structure do y'all use? Daily reading and then once a week talk with a parent? Read daily and write occasional response papers (no meetings)? Meet, read together, talk daily? Somehow there's always been this gap between what I idealize and what really happens when you have a toddler in the house and people at different energy levels. What kind of structure or weekly plan do you use?

Just for your trivia, the same lady has a study guide for a George MacDonald book. The Wise Woman with Literary Analysis Journal Questions Picked that up too and am looking forward to using it.

Scripture Memory Fellowship also has great, affordable Scripture memory materials.

I have some friends who homeschooled who said Bible time was their favorite part of homeschooling high school, that it gave them a chance to slow down and really talk and bond. It seems like things get really rush rush (just watching the boards), so I'm glad for a thread reminding us to slow down and take that time! :)

:iagree: We have read The Wise Woman several times. And we always get something new from each reading. Love, love that book! And I truly agree about the Bible time in high school. The base provided in the early years (through memorization and basic Bible instruction) is built upon during the high school years when the kids begin to see the world through more discerning eyes. Our discussions are just that now...discussions rather than "instruction". We can debate back and forth, and say, "but how does that idea fit with this scripture or this Biblical idea". It is truly the most satisfying time. And I have to say that the boys don't always completely agree with me. Sometimes it really bugs me, but other times I can see that they are struggling to make sense of their world and put it in perspective with scripture - and that makes me happy.

Personally, I think by the time students reach high school that what they should be getting is more like systematic theology than just reading the Bible. There is a difference between devotional study and scholarly study. Lots of studies indicate youth want this and they are not getting it. If your children are like mine, they already know the Bible forwards and backwards. Now what they need is organizing points.

THIS!

Have you ever watched Voddie Baucham's Why I Believe in the Bible on YouTube? If you haven't, please do.

We are raising "feel good" Christians. Our youth loves God with their hearts, but not with their minds. They don't actually KNOW enough to defend their faith and then they abandon it when they can't defend it.

DD did Understanding the Times (Summit Ministries) this year with a group and it opened my eyes to how much my faith comes from a "It works for me" mentality - not because I'm actually equipped to believe with my mind. God has my heart, but we also called to love Him with our minds and I think we would do well to spend time adequately preparing our children with more than devotions. :)

The diploma program that we will be under next year requires 4 credits in Bible for high school. :blink: Personally, I think this is silly and that Bible should be something that you read to become closer to God, not for a grade. So, I'm having trouble coming up with a curriculum that will check a box, that doesn't take up a ton of time, but that is still something that DS will learn a little something from and be engaged in. The one they are offering at the co-op next year is from Apologia, "I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist" but it is only 1/2 credit for a FULL year of work and is $300. No way am I doing that! Any thoughts?

Do you have a "chapter" of Teen CBS in your area?

http://www.communitybiblestudy.org/index.aspx

This will give you their information and such. If you click on classes and then student, you can find their info on Teen CBS. I had better luck finding the teen class on the main site with my zip code. The adult classes popped up as well as the teen class.

Anyway, my kids have gone for a few years now. They don't even ask, they just automatically sign up for the next year. They enjoy it that much. It includes dinner. They do ask for a $40 donation. I count it as their Bible study each year on their transcript.

My tentative plan after reading everyone's input is:

9th grade: NT Survey

10th grade: OT Survey

11th grade: Apologetics/Theology

12th grade: World Religions/Missions

According to the handbook, we are able to obtain a credit in any non-Language Arts course any of the following ways:

How to Earn a Credit

General Subject

1. Complete at least ¾ of a textbook in the subject. Maintain records of all work completed in that subject area such as quizzes, review questions and tests. Either college prep or honors credit will be given depending on the content of the textbook. A list of suggested texts is available from your academic advisor.

2. 135 logged hours in a subject area. Please use the “Subject/Activity Log†in the back of the handbook. Officially organized activities such as joining a choir or sports team do not need to be logged by each hour. They have a predetermined credit value. Homemade eclectic curriculum and activities to obtain a credit in a subject do need to be logged by each hour. Please direct all questions to your Portfolio Review Leader.

3. 15 grade level books in a subject area and either a brief summary of each book or a 5 page paper on the subject matter.

4. Completion of a one semester college course.

5. Take an AP exam and submit a copy of score report to academic advisor.

I'm considering doing Encountering the New Testament by Veritas Press plus a few additional books thrown in to round it out. Additionally, I really, REALLY love J. Vernon McGee and I think we'll listen to him daily.

Has anyone used Encountering the New/Old Testament texts before?

Thanks, Contessa20, for starting this thread. It's been quite informative! Personally, I've been challenged to up my game.

To become a member of a congregation in the first century church, one had to go through an extensive discipleship process lasting 2-3 years. Quite understandable with Ancient Roman culture being what it was. Kudos to all of you for equipping your kids to "give an account for the hope that lies within."

For consideration:

A dear friend runs a Worldview co-op. This term she simply asked them to find two facts about a particular religion/worldview. When the students came to class, they looked at how the different beliefs had permeated our society and what the Bible had to say about them. Next term Philosophy and Logic will be offered.

There are several seminaries in our town. Some offer the option to audit a class.

Precept (or any inductive study of the Bible) is always profitable. Irving Jensen is the man who inspired Kay Arthur to begin studying the Bible inductively:

http://www.inductive...ving-jensen.php

Precept Austin has compiled all the study tools one could ever need:

http://www.preceptaustin.org/

Oneplace.org offers a multitude of speakers, several offer downloadable study guides.

Contending for the faith,

Teresa

DD did Understanding the Times (Summit Ministries) this year with a group and it opened my eyes to how much my faith comes from a "It works for me" mentality - not because I'm actually equipped to believe with my mind. God has my heart, but we also called to love Him with our minds and I think we would do well to spend time adequately preparing our children with more than devotions. :)

I have to admit I am not a huge fan of world view classes either. The problem for me is that they mostly present fairly frail straw men arguments for the other side and don't do a good enough job explaining the fullness of the Christian position either. Further, the National Survey of Youth and Religion found they don't correlate at all with continuing in the faith. A true systematic theology will do a much better job building a foundation of belief.

This year we had DS use a new online Bible Program called Bible Mesh. It has an Evangelical Christian Viewpoint(I don't know if that is a plus or minus for your situation) but is a good survey of the Bible. We got it for free because DH is a Pastor but I think it is pretty affordable for a year subscription.

This looks amazing and incredibly affordable! I'm curious about how long per day your ds spends on this? ((Thank you!!))

There is a homeschool guide with suggested assignments for each week. There are 5 daily discussion questions that we either discuss daily for about 10 - 15 minutes or we have a longer discussion once a week(depends on my schedule). DS spends about 30 minutes to an hour reading the articles and exploring the unit on his own each day. The guide provides quizzes at the end of each era that are multiple choice. It's not incredibly difficult, but he is learning quite a bit and I really don't want him to dread Bible Class:)

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out my DS14 scrapped my idea for Bible when I discussed it with him. He wasn't overly impressed with the Veritas Press New Testament book. According to him the preview was " 'eh just okay" and only slightly enhanced by the fact that it has pictures. :laugh:

Back to square one again, an idea popped in my head. He has REALLY loved Streams of Civilization this year. I decided to see what kind of Bible curriculum Christian Liberty offered. One of the options was a rather old text called The Kingdom of God: A Guide for Old Testament by Francis Breisch Jr. I did a little digging on it and saw that most people thought it was rather tough. Then I looked at a sample of it and thought, "this looks kind of dry." Finally, I showed it to DS14 thinking he would shoot it down but instead he was ecstatic. He went from :unsure: with VP to :drool: with this book. I made him read the WHOLE sample just to make sure he was still interested by the end and he was totally excited. Sometimes I don't get that kid. I think from now on my curriculum choosing strategy will be to choose the dullest and most boring-looking text I can find. :cool:

Are there any programs that are similar in format to Community Bible Study? We will not be returning to CBS this year, after 8 years in attendance. I like the prompting to read to certain passage, cross reference with other verses, use Bible Dictionary and various other tools to answer questions. What would you recommend? This would be for my rising high schooler and me!

Yes, I'm familiar with BSF, but I'm seeking something for at home. :) Thanks!

Ahh sorry.

We did a neat study in my ss class, the book is upstairs I'll try to get it and see what the name was. It had a dvd that was cool.

could you just read through different books or do your own study looking for commentaries to help?

Ahh sorry.

We did a neat study in my ss class, the book is upstairs I'll try to get it and see what the name was. It had a dvd that was cool.

could you just read through different books or do your own study looking for commentaries to help?

I have tons of books that I need to catch up on. Commentaries - yes. I will use that format, but I'm looking for something that prompts the reader through questions, etc.

Sheryl, what about doing some Precepts studies at home? Those have been some of our best Bible studies.

Lisa

Precepts - yes. I've actually only taken one and that was years ago. Is this suitable for a 14 yo?

I'm considering doing Sonlight's Core 200 as a Bible credit. (not the literature part - just the history)

I also want to recommend Bible Study Fellowship. DD (9th grade) started near the end of this year. We will be doing Matthew next year. (yea!) Her favorite part was the homeletics (a Bible study method) they did during their weekly class. I'm thrilled that she's learning this at such a young age.

I have friends whose teens do Community Bible Study and really like it, but I don't know much about how their study (the teens') is structured.

Are there any programs that are similar in format to Community Bible Study? We will not be returning to CBS this year, after 8 years in attendance. I like the prompting to read to certain passage, cross reference with other verses, use Bible Dictionary and various other tools to answer questions. What would you recommend? This would be for my rising high schooler and me!

Sheryl,

When we moved from an area where I had attended BSF the leader suggested studies from www.joyofliving.org. They are very similar to BSF studies.

HTH

I think a bible curriculum can be tricky unless you find what you want that has the "flavor" you want. Curriculum houses such as BJU, AOP, and Abeka offer high school credit bible classes.

Various bible commentaries on particular books could be an idea. You could do one year studying the OT using book commentary and another year studying the NT. Again, if you can find the commentaries that fit your denomination/belief.

One local group I know is using Cat/Dog Theology from Unveilinglory.

I have tons of books that I need to catch up on. Commentaries - yes. I will use that format, but I'm looking for something that prompts the reader through questions, etc.

Precepts - yes. I've actually only taken one and that was years ago. Is this suitable for a 14 yo?

ACK I forgot to look for that book. AND I have a way to study any scripture I'll look for that suggestion too

You might want to check out R.C. Sproul's Ligonier Connect. He has several video lectures to choose from. You can pay per course or opt for a small monthly fee ($9 or so), and then your whole family has access to all of the lectures. My son is currently enjoying his philosophy lectures. Good stuff!

http://connect.ligonier.org/

We use Ligioner too. You can also buy the entire course with a dvd or one timr download. They have frequent sales if you look at their bookstore--$5 Friday's.

The Crucial Questions series is availiable for FREE on the kindle right now. A series of 15 books that are roughly 80 pages long. Normally R.C. Sproul sells them for $4 each.

We use Ligioner too. You can also buy the entire course with a dvd or one timr download. They have frequent sales if you look at their bookstore--$5 Friday's.

The Crucial Questions series is availiable for FREE on the kindle right now. A series of 15 books that are roughly 80 pages long. Normally R.C. Sproul sells them for $4 each.

Thanks for this. I just downloaded the Crucial Questions series to my Kindle for FREE!!

Turns out my DS14 scrapped my idea for Bible when I discussed it with him. He wasn't overly impressed with the Veritas Press New Testament book. According to him the preview was " 'eh just okay" and only slightly enhanced by the fact that it has pictures. :laugh:

Back to square one again, an idea popped in my head. He has REALLY loved Streams of Civilization this year. I decided to see what kind of Bible curriculum Christian Liberty offered. One of the options was a rather old text called The Kingdom of God: A Guide for Old Testament by Francis Breisch Jr. I did a little digging on it and saw that most people thought it was rather tough. Then I looked at a sample of it and thought, "this looks kind of dry." Finally, I showed it to DS14 thinking he would shoot it down but instead he was ecstatic. He went from :unsure: with VP to :drool: with this book. I made him read the WHOLE sample just to make sure he was still interested by the end and he was totally excited. Sometimes I don't get that kid. I think from now on my curriculum choosing strategy will be to choose the dullest and most boring-looking text I can find. :cool:

I think the Kingdom of God course is an *excellent* choice. We have it, as that's what I was going to have dd do for 9th grade, but then we ended up doing MFW AHL instead. (Tweaked it to death and might've been better off to just do what I'd originally planned, but oh well.) My pastor's wife later borrowed the Kingdom of God book from me for her high schooler, and she thought it was excellent as well.

Here's the course that our church's high school class is going through right now. http://www.ligonier....rust-the-bible/

• 4 weeks later...

I am having my boys read How to Read the Bible for all it's Worth. We won't finish it this year but hopefully before October.

Cynthia,

Can I ask how this is going? How old are your boys? Do you read aloud and are you doing any Bible readings along with it? I am looking for a more in depth "something" for my 14 yr old DS for next year. He seems bored with the Bible and any classes he is involved with at church. I like the looks of this book but would add in another study or something. I want him to be reading his Bible more.

Thanks for your help!