Menu

WWYD Anti Depressants

susancollins

I am beyond stressed with life. I have tried so hard not to take anything and do natural remedies nothing is working. We eventually would like to adopt and I know certain countries frown upon mental illness. I am near my breaking point. I spent all day yesterday crying. I am in a funk and I can't seem to get out. If you have taken antidepressants what worked for you. I am thinking about Wellbutrin?

I had success with Welbutrin for depression, not anxiety. I took for 18 months and have been okay since then. I had undiagnosed postpartum depression. I finally got help when little man was 18 months old.

:grouphug: I'm sorry you're hurting right now. Please seek help. My mom has a saying, depression is not weakness; it's the result of trying to be strong for too long.

With regards to the adoption- you won't get to the point of adopting if you don't get past your breaking point. Taking care of yourself today will lead you to better days down the road. If you are depressed, being present and healthy for your current children is the most important thing you can do. I would not let fear over how it would look to adoption agencies/countries determine decisions I made today.

As far as actual medications go, it varies so greatly with each person it's not really helpful to "recommend" something, or to ask for something specific. I would discuss your situation with your doctor or a mental health provider. I tried 3 meds at different doses before I hit on the one for me. You'll know when you find it. One of my providers said what works well for one family member may work well for another, which turned out to be very true in my case. If you have any close relatives you are comfortable talking to, that might be a starting point. :grouphug:

I personally have never taken anti-depressants. However, I am a therapist and I know many who have. Many, like you, have tried other paths first, without the success they hoped for. I have seen, first-hand, the almost miraculous positive impact the correct medication has had on others. At times I heard these individuals tell me that the only regret they have is that they waited so long. Since you have tried other options and are still struggling, I think it may be time to consider another option. Hugs!

Wellbutrin made my anxiety worse. It's so different for every person, and will likely take some trial and error. Good luck!

It is odd how it works. I have tried many other meds including antidepressants and adhd meds with no effect whatsoever or annoying side effects. But I guess if all our brains worked the same we wouldn't need the meds to begin with. :)

I take it along with hydroxyzine. I can't take one without the other.

First off, if you need to take a medication to resolve a medical problem, you should feel no guilt in doing so.

A few years back, I was battling postpartum depression, and for several reasons, one being that we wished to adopt in the future I decided not to take any medications. Instead, I called around until I found a highly recommended therapist, then question her on her abilities and training to help me with my specific issues. When we first met, I told her exactly what I was going through and told her of my desire to not pursue meds and then asked her for several different ways to process and heal my ppd. Over a couple of months we worked through some key things, I learned some exercises and I was able to quit seeing her. All that to say, have you looked into a highly trained counselor yet?

I am beyond stressed with life. I have tried so hard not to take anything and do natural remedies nothing is working. We eventually would like to adopt and I know certain countries frown upon mental illness. I am near my breaking point. I spent all day yesterday crying. I am in a funk and I can't seem to get out. If you have taken antidepressants what worked for you. I am thinking about Wellbutrin?

Are you thinking about Wellbutrin because the manufacturer advertises so heavily, including in television ads? The manufacturer wants people to think their product will work for them -- whether, in fact, it will or not.

You could benefit from visiting an adult psychiatrist -- (for heavens sake, NOT a general practitioner!) -- to discuss your personal situation, and to brainstorm whether or not medication sounds like something to try. After considering your overall health, including any other medications and supplements you are taking, the psychiatrist will suggest a medication to take on trial. Depending upon what class of medication is tried, improvement may not be well noticed until four to six weeks have passed. Some medications are effective more quickly. Your body system has a distinctive and assertive "mind of its own", so a change of medication may be necessary in order to start feeling better. As is the fact behind dieting, there is no "quick fix". Seeking help and trying to find a remedy that is right for you, however, is worth the effort.

Your personal health should be addressed prior to adoption because the adoption process itself is seriously stressful, people tell me.

I hope that you will seek medical help to discuss whether medications are appropriate for you and, if they are recommended, I hope that you very soon start to feel better!

I agree with orthodox6. Find an adult psychiatrist or a nurse practitioner who specializes in psychiatric meds. to evaluate you. They will help pick a drug that is best for you and are better at evaluating if it is working for you or if it should be tweeked or changed. They know what to look for. I have found that general practitioners often don't know what they are doing with these meds.

I would also suggest finding a good councilor. They are worth their weight in gold and can teach you a lot so you don't head back down the slippery slope again.

I have been down your road a couple of times in my life so I know the pain and it hurts - bad! For your families sake seek some help. You don't have to suffer and they are probably really worried about you. :grouphug:

I agree with finding a good psychiatrist to prescribe meds if needed. They have the experience needed.

I would also go get a full physical with blood work. Sometimes things like thyroid, anemia, blood sugar issues, etc. can cause or go with depression. You want to make sure you aren't missing anything else.

In the meantime, try to get as much exercise as you can, get out in the sun as much as you can, eat less processed carbs and more protein. Fish Oils can be very helpful.

First off, if you need to take a medication to resolve a medical problem, you should feel no guilt in doing so.

I totally agree.

I take generic Lexapro for anxiety. It works wonders for me, with no side effects that I can tell. I wouldn't continue to suffer from a medical issue that's making my life miserable today because of something that might happen in the future. :grouphug:

Don't worry too much about the adoption issue. While some countries don't allow it if you have taken anti-depressants ever there are others that allow if it was only temporary and others that go on a case by case basis....if its not severe etc.

I have a hormonal imbalance...nothing can help my depression except medication. I had a few minor side affects when I first started like night sweats but I have none now that my body has adjusted.

I've had depression for years and the medication has made such a difference I still kick myself that I waited so long to take it and put my family through years of hell.

Take care of the family you have before you think about adoption.

Depending on your financial circumstances, you could see someone and pay cash, and pay cash for your medication. Then it's not attached to your medical record through insurance. I know several psychologists and psychiatrists who don't even bother with insurance and cater to executive-types who don't want anything "on the record."

Please go talk to someone. Your doctor may prescribe something "for stress" but whatever it winds up being called, you should take care of yourself.

Depending on your financial circumstances, you could see someone and pay cash, and pay cash for your medication. Then it's not attached to your medical record through insurance. I know several psychologists and psychiatrists who don't even bother with insurance and cater to executive-types who don't want anything "on the record."

I'm sure you mean well; however, I don't agree with this. I am not comfortable with deception. Nor is it good behaviour to demonstrate for ones family.

I'm sure you mean well; however, I don't agree with this. I am not comfortable with deception. Nor is it good behaviour to demonstrate for ones family.

What medications we are on really shouldn't be many people's business, so I don't see that as deception. Certainly not something worthy of a lecture. We are all grown adults and I don't see anything wrong with keeping ones' personal mental & physical health private if that is what they choose to do.

What medications we are on really shouldn't be many people's business, so I don't see that as deception. Certainly not something worthy of a lecture. We are all grown adults and I don't see anything wrong with keeping ones' personal mental & physical health private if that is what they choose to do.

I didn't realize that I would be misunderstood. I refer specifically to buying medications under the table in order to hide a perfectly honorable medical condition from insurance companies. I would not wish my children to consider this appropriate behaviour. This is not the same thing as personal privacy about health conditions, such as my not telling you what members of my family take via prescription.

How is it deceptive? There's no requirement that you seek all medical treatment through your health insurance. There's a whole discussion of not wanting your children's grades attached to their SSNs and permanent records. I think mental health treatment is much more personal! If people are willing to get treatment anonymously that they would not get otherwise, isn't that what matters? Is it deceptive to call an anonymous suicide hotline? The fact of the matter is that there exists a stigma against mental health issues. One of my good friends was raped and wanted to seek therapy but NOT have it part of her general health insurance file where pretty much everyone and his donkey can access it. She paid for it out of pocket. Was she being deceptive? If the fear of "someone" finding out keeps someone from getting necessary treatment, that is wrong. Wanting to keep the most private details of your life PRIVATE is not wrong.

I understand what you are saying. I also am comfortable that we may disagree with each other about the specific case I discussed. (I am not discussing your other examples).

Part of my dealing with the "stigma" of mental health conditions is to rise above it. I see no shame in these conditions, so I don't bow to other people's wrong thinking.

Again, we are going to disagree, which is ok.

I didn't realize that I would be misunderstood. I refer specifically to buying medications under the table in order to hide a perfectly honorable medical condition from insurance companies. I would not wish my children to consider this appropriate behaviour. This is not the same thing as personal privacy about health conditions, such as my not telling you what members of my family take via prescription.

Buying medicine under the table? I didn't suggest getting a fake passport and going to Mexico and buying drugs off the street. These are licensed, above board physicians, using real prescription pads and buying real medicines. It's just not part of the same computer file with your sinus infections and hemmorrhoids.

Keeping information from insurance companies is not deception, if we pay for the medication ourselves. :confused1: :confused1:

I agree with you about rising above the stigma, I'm all about letting my freak flag fly on these issues. But I absolutely do not agree that doing what the above poster mentioned is "deception". But we can agree to disagree. :)

How is it deceptive? There's no requirement that you seek all medical treatment through your health insurance. There's a whole discussion of not wanting your children's grades attached to their SSNs and permanent records. I think mental health treatment is much more personal! If people are willing to get treatment anonymously that they would not get otherwise, isn't that what matters? Is it deceptive to call an anonymous suicide hotline? The fact of the matter is that there exists a stigma against mental health issues. One of my good friends was raped and wanted to seek therapy but NOT have it part of her general health insurance file where pretty much everyone and his donkey can access it. She paid for it out of pocket. Was she being deceptive? If the fear of "someone" finding out keeps someone from getting necessary treatment, that is wrong. Wanting to keep the most private details of your life PRIVATE is not wrong.

:iagree:

Buying medicine under the table? I didn't suggest getting a fake passport and going to Mexico and buying drugs off the street. These are licensed, above board physicians, using real prescription pads and buying real medicines. It's just not part of the same computer file with your sinus infections and hemmorrhoids.

Why not let this drop?

Have a good evening.

Why not let this drop?

Have a good evening.

You called me deceptive and said I was setting a bad example for my family. I did not make any personal attacks against you. I made a suggestion for a way some have found makes it easier to seek treatment. I personally have sought treatment for depression through my health insurance, but I understand the concerns of people who do not feel comfortable doing so.

You called me deceptive and said I was setting a bad example for my family. I did not make any personal attacks against you. I made a suggestion for a way some have found makes it easier to seek treatment. I personally have sought treatment for depression through my health insurance, but I understand the concerns of people who do not feel comfortable doing so.

OK. Now I know that you were speaking for yourself. (The post in question does not say this.) That is why you thought I was attacking you. I was criticizing the practice, without knowing that you were describing yourself. Had this been clear, I would have kept my opinion to myself. At no point did I address you directly and lecture you specifically. I am sorry to have aroused such upset feelings completely unintentionally.

I guess you did not notice that I point-blank said that it is completely acceptable for you and me to hold differing viewpoints.

I don't know what 'natural remedies' you've tried, but I will tell you what worked for me.

have your d3 levels checked

• vitamin d3 - is currently undergoing consideration for reclassification from vitamin to hormone because of how it is made, and how important it is for many bodily functions - including mood. (2dd is in Pharm school. it came up in class.) most people are low, for various reasons. we have one family member who was severely depleted - and had severe mood swings, despite being on two different anti-depressants at the same time for five years. after bringing up the d3 level - moods stabilized, without the Rx. the ND we go to put my son's on 4,000IUs.
  • Before starting a RX anti-depressant -your d3 levels should be checked and supplemented if below 40.

have your thyroid levels checked

I had a severe chemical imbalance (and I can pinpoint when it started, and why), and when I finally had a dr who listened to me, I was placed on a major anti-depressant. I don't remember my dose. It helped - everything I read said stay on for two years to avoid a repeat. I would start having side-affects that only showed up in "some" literature. (most didn't list it at all.) I reduced the dose, and the side-effects went away. repeat until after 18 months I took myself completely off. this is an anti-depressant that I know people irl who had a horrible time getting off of.

fast forward - two of my sons have tested positive for a genetic mutation that lists depression/anxiety due to low serotonin/dopamine (and a few other neurotransmitters) as one of the common problems. it's hereditary, and I also display a number of their symptoms. we treat for that. I wish I'd known about it years ago - it would have saved alot of hassle.

I took a double dose of a mega stress b complex for many years. For years, I only noticed a difference if I didn't take it for a week. I recently switched to emerald laboratories b healthy because it only containes the molecular forms your body absorbs (you can do the research on forms yourself online), so your body doesn't have to convert anything. I actually noticed an improvement about 10 days after starting them. It was like someone switched a light on. I buy it off amazon.

there are other things all available otc, and i you would like me to send more in a pm, let me know.

I personally have never taken anti-depressants. However, I am a therapist and I know many who have. Many, like you, have tried other paths first, without the success they hoped for. I have seen, first-hand, the almost miraculous positive impact the correct medication has had on others. At times I heard these individuals tell me that the only regret they have is that they waited so long. Since you have tried other options and are still struggling, I think it may be time to consider another option. Hugs!

I wasn't depressed (I had been clincially depressed as a teen so I compared it to that.) - so I didn't think I needed anything. It was actually severe anxiety/stress, which is similar to depression in the chemical affect on the brain.

I wish I'd started earlier - but it also would have helped if my GP hadn't treated me like a hypochondriac. things only got better when I got a new dr.

eta: I agree with the psychiatrist. gp's should NOT be prescribing anti-depressants. honestly, they don't know nearly enough about how it affects their patient and they don't follow that closely. a psychiatrist will do an evaluation before doing any prescribing. gps really don't.

Just because one pays cash for a drug doesn't mean it is hidden from medical records. The ICD-9 code sticks with someone for life. Instead of worrying about paying cash, one should request a diagnosis less "condemning" like lethargy, generalized weakness, or acute reactive stress disorder, rather than having a diagnosis of depression on one's medical chart.

To me, one of the biggest reasons depression is over-diagnosed in our country is that people feel their depression is causing a terrible life rather than a terrible life is causing the depression. This is not to say this is the problem with the original poster, I'm just veering off-topic. Unfortunately, there is no magic pill for the latter. But, hopefully, all with problems of stress, anxiety, and depression will find professionals who are astute enough to recognize between the two situations before jumping straight into medications.

I suffer from anxiety and stress (though I think you'd be hard pressed to find a military spouse who isn't). I've been on Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Effexor and a few others. The Zoloft did nothing but make me tired and cranky. The Effexor works best, but I had to go off it in my 3rd trimester with Han Solo and go on Wellbutrin. The Wellbutrin was okay, but not nearly as well as the Effexor. Different things work for different people and you will have to see which one and how much for you.

There shouldn't be any stigma attached. Life is busy and hectic and it's easy to be overwhelmed. If you need help, get it.

FTR, I have a quite a good life, so that's not really a factor, IMO. Being more stable has made me a better wife and mother.