Menu

Favorite Science(s) for Elementary Years?

Favorite Science(s) for Elementary Years?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite science(s) for the elementary years?

• Apologia Exploring Creation series
    • WTM science rec's
    • Nancy Larson
    • Real Science Odyssey
    • Real Science for Kids
    • Mr. Q's Science
    • Christian Kids Explore series
    • Elemental Science
    • Great Science Adventures
    • Other - leave a comment

We use real books to study science. I usually choose a spine and then additional books to go along with it. I've found some great books by checking the offerings at museum shops. We don't do experiments, which are usually just demonstrations at this age. Instead we do a big project each year. We've raised caterpillars, grown plants, studied the skies with a telescope, and next year we will be getting a microscope to explore with. We follow a modified WTM-type schedule. I find the recommended WTM rotation to be too heavy on chemistry and physics for the interests and abilities of my kids. We prefer a rotation that gives more emphasis to biology and earth/space science. Our rotation is:

Year 1 - Biology (basic biology, habitats, zoology)

Year 2 - Biology (anatomy, botany)

Year 3 - Physical Science (earth science, astronomy)

Year 4 - Physical Science (engineering, chemistry, physics)

:iagree: Wow, this is almost exactly what we do! Spine + living books + projects (not weekly "experiments") = our way of doing elementary science. We focused on Life Science for two years, Earth/Space for two years, and plan to spend about two years on Physical Science (chemistry, physics, engineering, technology), perhaps for two years. Then I think we'd like Apologia's courses for upper elementary. Time will tell.

Well, we have only just started it this week - but the ease of ES Physics (grammar) is going to mean it gets done. I have A LOT of "stuff" she can rabbit trail on her own with it too, but honestly, in my 10 years of homeschooling - this is the easiest I have implemented. The materials are easy to get ahold of (even the wooden yardstick I needed to drill 3 holes in), and I just think it is going to work the best for us!

I have Earth-Space here too (waiting on a couple of books though), and the youngest will work on that as she wants to until school gets out and then over the summer.

Of course, it could just be the topic that interests ME, so that helps. But I can say that Apologia Botany and Astronomy where a bust here with my oldest. I tried! She liked BJU Life Science with the videos.

A parent with no science background *could* teach it but it would require a lot of time investment. The lessons are essentially teaching the parent how to teach the kid. For someone with a strong science background, you can quickly read the lesson to brush up on any specifics; maybe take a few notes to make sure you hit everything. Someone without a strong science background would probably find the reading dense enough that they would need to read and reread, take extensive notes, and then finally teach the lesson. Implementing the "teachable moments" will not be intuitive for the parent lacking in science background. I can see how these moments might be lost if the parent didnt make a considerable effort to include them.

I agree. I have an engineering degree (but never actually used it) and my husband is a high school physics teacher. It's sort of embarrassing how many times I've had to clarify things with him or ask him to do the bulk of the discussion after a BFSU lesson because I'm not sure if I have the right answers. On the other hand, my kids read science books for kicks and have a grandfather who tries to tell them about physics laws soon after they can talk. If the lessons were their first exposure to gravity and molecules, it would probably be easier to answer their questions.

• 9 months later...
Guest vcbigoaktree

I have looked at a lot of science programs and wanted something that was "real" science, easy on the planning, very hands on, and engaging. My standards are really high. I really like the Supercharged Science E-science curriculum. My children are ages 10, 12, and 14 and I teach middle school science. I do the science experiments at home with my own children to practice and then use them as lab activities with my 7th and 8th grade science classes.  So I have used this program in a homeschool setting and classroom setting. I am good at working on the program for awhile and then I get busy doing other things. I like how Aurora emails high interest projects which get us started again doing fabulous hands on activities. We are working on making a cookie grabber with a simple motor and toothbrushes. Some of the activities we have done include: the exploding grape, can race, ta daa (Newton's laws), penny crystal, borax crystal, and slide preparation. You can do a month trial before you sign up which is great! The customer service and support is incredible. You can learn more www.SuperchargedScience.com/esci.htm

I found RSO life level 1 perfectly acceptable for my 2nd grader last year. This year we are on Earth and space and I purchased chemistry for next year already. It gets done, it's easy to implement, my DD enjoys it, and did I mention that it get's done :) I do supplement with library books, and science videos (magic school bus, billy nye, etc) and I think that it really adds to the program. 

I've been wondering about BFSU, I looked at the samples but didn't understand how it worked. It did seem like the parent has to do all the planning for the actual lessons. Do you think a parent with no science background could teach this program?

Depends what you mean by a science background. I haven't studied science since 10th grade. I read a lot of scientific studies. And I generally like it. And I have read a few science text books. But I don't think I have a science background. But we love BFSU.

Other.

BFSU as a spine. And it has been so simple for us! I don't understand the complication to be honest. But then again I am currently only using book 1. I might change my mind with book 2.

This is how we do it.

I read the lesson. Get the main ideas. Then we go to the library and borrow books and DVDs if there are any on the topic. Then over the week we read through all the books. And watch the DVDs, or videos sourced from YouTube, Amazon prime or discovery streaming to flesh out the ideas. We talk about the ideas. Through out our day to day life. And then he narrates what he has leart over the week. I type it out for him and voila.

We don't do much in the way of experiments. We live science. For example, when spending the week learning about changed in matter I would point out how ice is soild and steam is water vapor while we are cooking in the kitchen.

One night I cooked some red cabbage so we were able to use the extra water while waiting for dinner to finish cooking by grabbing some items in the kitchen to cover what we had previously discussed about acids and bases.

Actually acids and bases might have been a rabbit trail. Something introduced in a book we read while studying a more specific BFSU topic.

Library books, chosen mostly randomly.

I also bought some of the Apologia books to use as reference books that they could read whenever. They love them for that! I just don't like using it as a main curriculum. I have science encyclopedias, etc. Basically, I have reference type books on the shelf, and we get individual topic books from the library. I'm amazed at how much science my 3rd grader knows, even when we didn't even *do* science formally the last couple years.

We're doing an Ellen McHenry brain unit right now and loving that also, but it would probably be a bit much for the average younger elementary student.

Hi boscopup,

If you don't mind ,could you share what library books have your dc read until now so that my kids ages 9 and 10 yo can borrow that books esp. for Life Science,Physical Science and Earth Science......

I have a hard time in choosing a meaty Secular Science .......so deciding to pick up Library books:)

Thanks...

I was planning on doing MrQ's life science with my first grader but have been thinking about taking a different approach and using books to do two orthree unit studies. I wish the Sassafras books had amazing reviews and there were lots of them - I am afraid if I compile my own stuff that it will end up not getting done.

We like Elemental Science, but another favorite is just using Let's Read and Find Out science books.  We can't get enough of these books, and I really feel like they build a pretty solid foundation for most science concepts.

Sweet!  My library has 31 of these books :)

Hi boscopup,

If you don't mind ,could you share what library books have your dc read until now so that my kids ages 9 and 10 yo can borrow that books esp. for Life Science,Physical Science and Earth Science......

I have a hard time in choosing a meaty Secular Science .......so deciding to pick up Library books:)

Thanks...

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499731-building-a-science-library/

I love Ellen McHenry, but sadly we will have done all her books by the end of this year.

I'm looking into Elemental Science or possibly Apologia next year for my elementary and middle schooler.

But, alas, nothing will be as much fun as McHenry's science.

Nature study and I've got some Usborne encyclopedias that my oldest loves to read. And just answering questions, and looking up answers when I don't know. For example, tonight my oldest told my 5 year old (over lobster chowder) that lobsters are invertebrates, so they don't have bones. D wanted to know how they walked, so we talked about shells as exoskeletons, and the muscles inside the shells. 

Library books + Encyclopedias + Notebooking/lapbooking pages + Experiment kits (because I'll never, ever assemble the pieces to an experiment if it doesn't come in a kit).

This is what we're doing and we are really enjoying it. As the weather warms up, we'll add in some nature study (yeah, if I were really committed, we'd do it now, but I hate being cold).

Can you elaborate on this?  We're studying the Periodic Table right now!

ETA: Found it!  Thanks for posting about this; we're about to add it to this week's agenda.

Lisa

It's a lot of fun. We're going to watch Nova: Hunting the Elements at the end of the unit study. 

We're listening to and practicing the Tom Lehrer song: http://www.privatehand.com/flash/elements.html

printed up the sheet music, so hopefully one of them will learn it.

On a side note, we learned about the song/opera this was based off (The Pirates of Penzance), I am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSGWoXDFM64. The kids like this song too. The Kevin Kline, Linda Ronstadt opera, not so much.  :lol: You never know where you can squeeze in an opera!

We're also watching University of Nottingham videos: http://www.periodicvideos.com and http://www.youtube.com/user/periodicvideos/videos

We like this book: http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Visual-Exploration-Every-Universe/dp/1579128955/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392084184&sr=1-1&keywords=the+elements and find this periodic table placemat handy: http://www.amazon.com/Painless-Learning-Periodic-Table-Placemat/dp/B000H6F4W6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392084226&sr=8-3&keywords=the+elements+placemat

I'm thinking about re-reading The Mystery of the Periodic Table aloud for fun. I love that book. http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Periodic-Living-History-Library/dp/188393771X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392084377&sr=8-1&keywords=the+mystery+of+the+periodic+table

Do the pillow case!! I bought Sharpie fabric markers on Amazon and they worked perfect.