Menu

Best Bible for accurate translation and readability?

Veritaserum

I've always used the KJV, but I am interested in reading the Bible with fresh eyes via a different (more accurate?) translation. I think I might want two Bibles: one that is accurate and readable and one that is annotated with historical and cultural notes. What do you suggest? :)

I like a Life Application Bible Study Bible. You can find these in many different translations (NKJV, NIV, NLT, ESV, etc.).

Also, if you want to compare the readability of the different versions, I highly recommend the website www.biblegateway.com. You can read the Bible in any translation and compare.

The NASB is supposed to be the "most accurate". I have the Lockman Foundation NASB in the Key Verse version. It was THE.BEST.DECISION! This was suggested by an employee at Lifeway; this gentleman has worked on translations, etc for decades and suggested this one to me. I started out using an NIV for readability. As a young believer that was good. I have the NKJV Life Application with study notes. I would have bought the Appl Bible in NASB, but didn't want 2 of the same. Next will be the Amplified Bible. I just bought a huge Bible Dictionary and have the Gesenius' book (long title) as well as the NASB Strong's Concordance. I'm adding to my armor!!

I have converted over to the HCSB (Holman Christian Standard Bible) version for the most part. The one I use personally right now is The Apologetics Study Bible for Students (This has been wonderful for me because of all the "extras" within it.)

The Bible I'm using in my homeschool is the NKJ Version of the Chronological Study Bible. This has been invaluable to read while studying ancient civilizations due to its chronology.

Here is an article about choosing a Bible translation: http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2008327

Accuracy is most important; but you can learn most truths from any copy of the scriptures.

Easy to read is definitely a must.

I personally like that the New World Translation doesn't just have the names of false gods like Baal,

but includes the name of God the almost 7000 times the original scriptures did (Ps 83:18).

But we use many different translations for various things. And there will always be some scriptures I *think* KJV (Ps 23, Model Prayer, "Do unto others," etc).

ESV is my top Bible for accuracy, and it is quite readable, if you are 'churched' enough to get the theological words, and if you have above average reading comprehension skills (vocab, sentences, extended paragraphs and 'arguments').

If you want things a bit lighter on the reading side, I suggest NLT, or one of the other 'easy' translations. Check those out for yourself as to your 'taste'.

In the mid-ground try NIV (2011, not 1984) or HCSB.

Ideally "accuracy" would be determined without bias. I.e. the translator would choose the best English words to convey the meaning of the original language without a theological agenda in mind. :)

I'll always love the poetry of the KJV and Handel's Messiah is my favorite work of music ever, but I'm thinking that translations may have improved since the 1600s. :)

I am not (at this time at least) a biblical literalist. I want to connect to Christ's teachings in a fresh way.

I think it depends on one's viewpoint of accuracy as far as translation goes.

I have the Oxford Annotated Bible

This is the one my mother got for me when I asked her for a good one to use. Link to amazon. Both my parents are Lutheran ministers. They both learned Greek to read New Testament & Mom also did Hebrew her 4th year of seminary.

It reads nicely. Doesn't have "thee" and "thou" but when doing read-alouds with my son, the KJV just sounds horribly clunky in comparison. This one reads well. It also has footnotes at the bottom of the page (sometimes half the page) that defines terms and has commentary on derivation of word, word choice, and historic information.

it's good.

My mom also had a study Bible (I think) that was fascinating to look at... it had the same passage but with 4 different translations - each in a column - for comparison. Really really wild to see. Definitely makes me think if you're doing a literal interpretation of the Bible, you've got to be reading it in Greek and Hebrew.

I think the most helpful thing for me has been to get a few different kinds and compare the passages side by side as I read. The slant on the interpretation becomes more clear. From there I feel I get a more wholistic view. Kind of like having a thesaurus...more than one word can be "right" it's just different.

But then, I'm one of those crazy progressives who uses the NRSV as my primary. :seeya:

I don't have a answer for the thread just watching and curious. I grew up with the King James because thats what our pastor used. I used the NIV with the kids when young. I like the NASB. I couldn't tell you which one would be the most accurate. The kids and I use to go to the local book store and take every translation available and compare random verses each visit.

There are some that are paraphrases, there are some that say the same thing but its put in a negative statement rather than positive statement but you get the same menaing.. I really can't explain but that the way we explained for our own enlightment LOL My sons loved our homeschool bible field trips LOL.

My BIL, SIL, MIL are all KJO - all other translation are cult bibles. I've never been convinced or accepted their view. I do feel like when they start telling me my bible is the devils tool. I have to know my stuff.

So with all that said I'm interested in other opinions on the best translation

I also grew up with the KJV, and all my memorization was from KJV. I'm having my daughter do her memorization in it, too. However, I really like the Holmans CSB right now. The new translation slows me down and helps me get past my earlier impressions. It may or may not have an evangelical leaning in some of the word choices - I'd be interested in others' opinions on that. If you don't mind tearing up over a kids' Bible, try The Jesus Storybook Bible - it is so, so beautiful! :blush5:

You might like the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB). I like the ESV for it's matter of fact-ness and the ESV study notes are great, but it's not flowingly beautiful to read. At church I use an iPad with the HCSB linked to greek & hebrew word studies and side-by-side with the notes from ESV and a few other commentaries. It's positively addicting to click through and use the word links & commentary notes.

With software like Olive Tree you can have a whole bunch of translations right alongside one another.

You might like the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB). I like the ESV for it's matter of fact-ness and the ESV study notes are great, but it's not flowingly beautiful to read. At church I use an iPad with the HCSB linked to greek & hebrew word studies and side-by-side with the notes from ESV and a few other commentaries. It's positively addicting to click through and use the word links & commentary notes.

With software like Olive Tree you can have a whole bunch of translations right alongside one another.

Can you tell me more about what you use for Greek and Hebrew translations? It's an app? Or part of HCSB online?

Zodhiates complete word studies, Strongs, Mounce's these were bought separately and added to my Olive Tree (free software).

You can buy paper versions of all of these and flip through, which we still do sometimes, but the hyperlinking is practically magical.

I really like Olive Tree better than some of the others particularly for the way the note-taking works.

I think I might want two Bibles: one that is accurate and readable and one that is annotated with historical and cultural notes. What do you suggest? :)

You've gotten some good advice. I liked the ESV, but now I typically use KJV since that, and the Septuagint, are what is quoted in most of our church services. For the above bolded, I'd personally recommend the Orthodox Study Bible. From it, we've learned a lot about early church history, the church through the ages, etc. It's been fascinating.

Hi Veritaserum. We come from the same tradition. When I was in your position, I chose the NIV. It was different enough that it shook me out of my rut, but the language felt lofty enough for my KJV-trained ear.

I'm interested in getting a third version (fourth if you count The Message), so I'm watching this thread with interest.

I really like my Key Word New American Standard Bible. It's not a beautiful, smooth, poetic translation such as the KJV or NKJV nor is it as conversational as the NIV. In an attempt at being hyper accurate with language useage, it's nuts and bolts. But, I really like it that way.

Faith

I checked various passages and verses in various editions on Bible Gateway. It's shocking to me how weird non-KJV wording sounds. However, I think it will be good for me to be shocked into paying better/different attention. :)

I liked the amplified bible because gives additional words or phrases in line with the text. My degree is in linguistics, so I know that it can be a tricky process to translate the nuance of the meaning from the original language. I also liked ESV and NASB. It's going to be hard to choose! Maybe I should read the gospels in multiple editions to get multiple perspectives. For now I'm most concerned with reading about Christ's earthly ministry. A complete re-reading of the bible will be a future endeavor.

At this time I want to be careful to avoid, as much as is possible, a translation that has a goal to push a particular interpretation. I come from a tradition that offers one right/true interpretation. I want to determine what I think after reading God's word without being pushed by anyone to accept his/her interpretation of various passages. This desire has been part of what has kept me from visiting other churches. I am extremely wary of anyone who claims to know The Truth or the right way to believe/live. I need to figure out what I believe. :)

At this time I want to be careful to avoid, as much as is possible, a translation that has a goal to push a particular interpretation. I come from a tradition that offers one right/true interpretation. I want to determine what I think after reading God's word without being pushed by anyone to accept his/her interpretation of various passages. This desire has been part of what has kept me from visiting other churches. I am extremely wary of anyone who claims to know The Truth or the right way to believe/live. I need to figure out what I believe. :)

In that case, you'll want to make sure you don't get any kind of study Bible or any Bible with commentary on the verses. They'll all have a bias. I understand your thoughts in this, given your background! It's funny, though, I'm on the opposite journey in a way. I so got weary of trying to figure out what the Bible meant on my own. I was sad thinking that's what the Christian life was all about (Bible study with personal interpretation, especially since I'd seen that my own personal interpretation had changed over the years, LOL).

God bless you on your journey!

I think what you might like to read is a systematic theology. A good one will present the different views on the larger points of theology with extensive analysis of the passages involved. It may reveal the author's opinion, but should give you enough info on opposing points to also make your own conclusions. Actually, I think the best study Bibles also do this- it's one reason I like the ESV, and having links to many commentaries in my Olive Tree iPad set-up.

My favorite is Wayne Grudem's. It's a fantastic place to start.

http://www.amazon.com/Systematic-Theology-Introduction-Biblical-Doctrine/dp/0310286700