Menu

Did/does anyone here make an all-encompassing education plan?

My DH and I are planners. We have spreadsheets for everything, lol. Recently, he's decided we need to have a plan in place for our DC's (entire) education. Not just schooling, but different skills and aptitudes we want to instil (e.g. survival skills, basic auto maintenance/repair, reading/following a map, knowing how to swim, etc.).

I have definite ideas about which curricula I'm drawn to for the academic side of things, but recognize that we have to take it year by year as to what works for this particular child. So while I'm laying out on paper what I'd ideally like to do for school subjects, I know I may end up throwing it all out the window when we actually get to that point. I have no idea about how to incorporate non-academic pursuits.

Nevertheless, DH wants a "plan," with some sort of timeline involved so that we know if we're on track to meeting educational and other goals. Has anyone done this? What did yours look like, format-wise?

Many thanks! :)

Thanks. He's a pre-Ker.

I think DH's thinking isn't exactly to have a plan we must stick to at all costs, but more a list of goals we work backwards from. So, for example, we want the kid to be able to swim competently by age 6 (or whatever)? Well, what age should we introduce him to swim lessons to achieve that? Whatever answer we decide on/research goes into the plan.

I know, we're probably way over-thinking things.

Have you heard SWB talk about how she was getting ready to start homeschooling her children, so she made her plans through high school, and essentially wrote TWTM? I told my husband about that, and he said, "I could see you doing that." And I replied, "No, you could see me start on that. I would do nothing else for three weeks, then leave stacks of papers and books and notes scattered throughout the house when my ADHD gets the better of me."

In any case, I think it sounds awesome. I would like to do it myself, but I'm starting to recognize my own limitations. Do it, and I'll buy a copy. Ok? :laugh:

I do this for homeschool years/subjects/curriculum (though not for milestone type stuff), and have from the start. I have not found it to be a waste of time and I do not feel like I am setting myself up for failure, even though I have changed direction on occasion. (My kids are 10, 8, and almost 7.)

It's like planning a trip. Say I want to drive from NY to LA. I wouldn't dream of setting out without first planning an itinerary. I would pick fun stops along the way, make sure the route is sound, etc. Same with my homeschool plans. Now, just like with cross-country car trips, you will probably get some curveballs thrown at you (flat tires, detours, learning challenges, giftedness, etc.), but as long as you go in with a willingness to be flexible, there's no harm in laying out a route. I actually think it is of great benefit to always keep an eye on where you are headed. As a matter of fact, it was looking at the high school level of WTM that attracted me to classical education, not the elementary level. If I didn't have a clear idea about where all the grammar and logic stage work would lead us, I probably wouldn't find it half as valuable or worthwhile, you know?

How I do it is easy as pie. In an Excel spreadsheet, columns are for subjects and rows are for years. When I read homeschool books, reviews, catalogs, the boards and find something I like the looks of, I research it a little and plug it into the spreadsheet if I think it might be a good fit. Now, for high school, I might have 2-3 different options for one subject. Maybe that many look attractive to me and I will have to see how/who the kids are when we get there, you know? But I want to keep them in mind. Then, as I get closer, I'll read/research more, look at samples, and ask questions here about specific programs. Maybe they work and I buy them. Or maybe I realize they won't work for x reason and delete them. It's not like I kick myself over that. LOL It's just a way of keeping my thinking straight. So many subjects! So many years! Three kids! Different too... I'm working this process now as my DS10 is moving into logic stage this year and I'm finding those little spreadsheet notes enormously helpful. I'm in the thick of it, actually teaching them every day, and if I had to start research from scratch without my notes from when I saw this, that, or the other mentioned for logic stage over the years here... Well, let's just say I'd be headed for the loony bin. :lol:

By the way, I love that part of SWB's speech too, probably because she made me feel not-crazy for planning long term too! ;)

I did this, using WTM plus comments from this board. The subjects were listed in the first column and grade were listed across the top row. Each column was a grade. The groups were listed by high-level subject: MST (Math, Science, Technology, Logic), Language Arts (Reading/Phonics, Writing, Spelling/Vocabulary), Social Studies (includes history and a catch all for geography, finance, economics, and government). I include suggestions for curriculum. I also have an extracurricular group for things like talent searches, scouting, etc. I didn't do anything for sports because it's interest-led.

It's not set in stone and I review it every time I plan to purchase additional curriculum.

Have you heard SWB talk about how she was getting ready to start homeschooling her children, so she made her plans through high school, and essentially wrote TWTM? I told my husband about that, and he said, "I could see you doing that." And I replied, "No, you could see me start on that. I would do nothing else for three weeks, then leave stacks of papers and books and notes scattered throughout the house when my ADHD gets the better of me."

In any case, I think it sounds awesome. I would like to do it myself, but I'm starting to recognize my own limitations. Do it, and I'll buy a copy. Ok? :laugh:

OK, I think your post made me realize why it didn't overwhelm me. I made the spreadsheet up but didn't go totally SWB and fill it all completely up before beginning. :tongue_smilie: There are even still some empty fields in the spreadsheet. But I have always found it enormously helpful to have that spreadsheet to fill up as I go along.

I try doing this all the time. I think lots of people try to do it.

My favorite generic K-6 scope and sequence is How to Write a low-cost/no-cost curriculum. It's out of print, but you can still find affordable copies.

But what I really like is the original early 1990s Doubleday What Your _ Grader Needs to Know series grades 1-6. The sponge painted covers, not the revised ones with children on the front. The series is accelerated and includes pretty much everything needed to cover K-8.

I pretty much have my default ideas for K-8 that are for all students, and then I specialize after that, generally preparing a student for some type of test and/or junior college. My "high-school" plans have always been pretty reckless/brave depending on who is judging them. :lol:

I have a really OCD personality. I cannot start to teach a subject until I've planned years and years ahead. I just can't.

I think it's great to set goals & I commend you for thinking forward about more than academics! I think that parenting intentionally is very wise. I encourage you to not only think about what you want your kids to know and be able to do, but to also think about what kind of people you hope they will become.

Here are some books you might find helpful:

Life Skills for Kids by Christine Field - great resource, encourages you to start a "life skills" notebook for each of your kids, practical; written for homeschoolers. I don't remember if it has specifically Christian content or not, it's been a long time since I've read it.

Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life Skills very Child Needs by Ellen Galinsky

50 Things Every Young Lady Should Know: What to Do, What to Say and How to Behave by Kay West, et. al.

50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know: What to Do, What to Say and How to Behave by John Bridges, et. al.

Tiffany's Table Manners for Teens by Walter Hoving

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey

Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp (Christian Content)

Instructing a Child's Heart by Tedd & Margy Tripp (Christian Content)

Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens by Paul David Tripp (Christian Content)

Life Prep for Homeschooled Teenagers: A Parent-Friendly Curriculum... by Barbara Frank (I don't remember if it has Christian content & I'm too lazy to look at my copy right now :001_rolleyes: ).

Educating the Whole Hearted Child by Clark and Sally Clarkson (Christian Content)

There are several resources for chores. I recommend you do a google search for "chore lists for preschoolers" "chore lists for children," etc. and see what comes up.

Have fun, dream big, but be ready to adjust as you go!

If you're Christian, or don't mind a Christian focus, you might look into Contenders for the Faith and the companion Little Contenders (for ages 4-7). They have a lot of life skills and practical things in them, with breakdowns of what steps one might take in working toward competency in each skill.

I think it's great to set goals & I commend you for thinking forward about more than academics! I think that parenting intentionally is very wise. I encourage you to not only think about what you want your kids to know and be able to do, but to also think about what kind of people you hope they will become.

Here are some books you might find helpful:

Life Skills for Kids by Christine Field - great resource, encourages you to start a "life skills" notebook for each of your kids, practical; written for homeschoolers. I don't remember if it has specifically Christian content or not, it's been a long time since I've read it.

Just a note on the above book, it does come from a christian perspective. I was reading a review and within the comments of the review was a comment from our own dear Kalanamak, I teared up.

to the OP: I agree about the intentional parenting. This, however, requires us to adjust our sails as needed, as our child grows and develops interests. The classical stages of grammar, logic, and rhetoric are good guidelines to kind of separate some goals. For instance, we knew we wanted to teach ds money management at a young age, so we started providing at allowance at a young age. Money was tied to work at age appropriate activities. We've kept some goals from that age, adjusted some others due to who he is, and added more as life shows us those opportunities.

Parenting is more about knowing what's important to you, how to interact with your child, and gentle guidance. Some goals take lots of training and years to develop, some they seem to wake up and understand the day you teach. Don't get so tied to the lists and dates on the spreadsheet that you forget to keep the balance.

I do this. Hunter I have the two out of print Borg Hendrickson books. I'm a planner, but I'm not very good at making organized lists or spreadsheets etc. I have a friend who is good at that, but I tend to have it all in my head or in random journals and marked up books and catalogs.

Those two Hendrickson books help me to make concrete plans. I also really like the 7 Habits books. I know what I want to do and then I sit down with a planner and start to write it all down and organize it and I give up. I think why am I spending the time writing all this down, I know what I want to do, and then I get up and do it.

Journaling is my go-to way of planning.

OP I don't think it's a terrible idea. Having a long term plan, even if you plan in long term chunks of time rather than life helps. I find it can save you money. If you have an idea of where you want to go and which curricula help with those goals then you may be less likely to spend on any thing that catches your fancy. If you research and find good curricula that is muti-leveled and can be used by different aged kids or at different times, it saves you money. I really like the pp ideas of researching 2-3 things that may be a good fit so you can change things if something doesn't fit for your kid.

I would just suggest to make the planning light-hearted. Don't get so wrapped up in making spreadsheets that you forget to actually be there with your child. Keep in mind that your child may have totally different ideas about what they want to do. maybe he won't learn to swim by age 6. Or swim at all. Maybe he hates swimming.

Keep in mind that as he grows you want to include him in making the goals and plans for his life.

Thanks. He's a pre-Ker.

I think DH's thinking isn't exactly to have a plan we must stick to at all costs, but more a list of goals we work backwards from. So, for example, we want the kid to be able to swim competently by age 6 (or whatever)? Well, what age should we introduce him to swim lessons to achieve that? Whatever answer we decide on/research goes into the plan.

I know, we're probably way over-thinking things.

Well, to stay with the swimming thing - What if your kid doesn't want to learn to swim? What if he is afraid of the water? What if he doesn't respond to the teacher? What if he ...

You pick auto mechanics for him, and it turns out he is a basket ball star.

You pick physics, but he is a chemist.

Kids are great at foiling the plans of parents. At what point are you planning on allowing his POV to enter into your plans? He is an individual human being with his own thoughts and plans. Just because you are the parent doesn't give you the right to trump his plans. Are you going to push pre-med when he is an aerospace engineer?

At the very least ask him if he wants to learn to swim competently by age six. Ask him if he wants to learn to change a tire. Maybe he wants to have AAA and memorize the number instead of getting grubby himself. You should point out he will have to get a job and pay for it. But is should be his choice.

The state may mandate grammar, reading, spelling, math, history and science. Everything else he learns ought to be up to him.

I like to plan. Don't really follow the plans, but they must serve some purpose. I have attempted something like what you describe once or twice--what I did was take a notebook with one page for each academic or other area--so a page for math, a page for science, a page for home management skills, a page for other life skills, etc. Then write out everything I would like my children to study/learn in that area during their K-12 education. After you do that you could break it up by year. I just like to do it as a brain-dump kind of exercise so all these ideas floating around in my head are down on paper.

I have a plan for K-12 but have learned flexibility is key. For example, the plan was to start Latin in 3rd grade per WTM. However my oldest was a struggling reader still in 3rd and in 4th he struggled with the grammar so Latin has been pushed back. That doesn't mean we won't get to it, just that the yearly goals change depending on your kid. I haven't done this for life skills, we teach them as they come up. IMO, a child might not like to learn to swim but they need to learn so they don't fall in the lake and drown. I give mine a choice about the things that don't really matter. They can pick the foreign language they study, but they will take at least 2 yrs. I'm making mine take 4 yrs of science in high school including bio and chem but they can choose the other two. They might hate car repair, but they need to know how to check their oil ( nobody taught me that and it cost me my first car-ruined the motor.). Stuff like that.

The state may mandate grammar, reading, spelling, math, history and science. Everything else he learns ought to be up to him.

I am curious: how do you think of the non-school education you may do? Where do you draw the line?

For us, swimming and basic car maintenance are not optional skills for our child (and we do not believe that state education is intended to provide all the knowledge a child requires). Neither is speaking politely, basic plumbing, basic cooking, and Essentials of Safe Wood Stacking. If y'all don't have wood stacks around your property, though, I can see where that last is truly optional!

Especially thinking of tire changes and AAA: AAA is not always available. One might find oneself, for example, either quite cash-strapped for a season or in South America. If my teenager or college student decides to do a stint of work or travel abroad, I think essential mechanics is very important and I also think it's a bit late to teach at that point.

-- we know lots of folks who share your POV, though. DH is often at academic dinners with folks who are quite startled at the level of do-it-yourselfness in our lives, and it is not too hard for us to teach because we ourselves have these skills or are able to quickly acquire them (I am leaning on DH to teach the basic plumbing, but could do it with a book and a misbehaving fixture to practice on).

I imagine this is one of those topics where values and opinions, even among intelligent people of good will, are quite varied!

RE the OP: thank you for this thread! I am trying to develop a more-filled-out plan for our children. I agree with Alte Veste that it is worth doing, even though you will adapt for the child. When people say they have WTM for their plan, for example -- this was my plan too, but my older has made a total hash of it. I cannot use it for him, and it wasn't meant for children like him -- he does not respond to things the way "children" usually do (for example: the statement that first graders are fascinated by mythology. Not universal. Some detest mythology to the point that it can engender a hatred of history and reading both. And so on with several other WTM recs ...). But as I get a better feel for his personality we are able to plan better.

I am curious: how do you think of the non-school education you may do? Where do you draw the line?

For us, swimming and basic car maintenance are not optional skills for our child (and we do not believe that state education is intended to provide all the knowledge a child requires). Neither is speaking politely, basic plumbing, basic cooking, and Essentials of Safe Wood Stacking. If y'all don't have wood stacks around your property, though, I can see where that last is truly optional!

Especially thinking of tire changes and AAA: AAA is not always available. One might find oneself, for example, either quite cash-strapped for a season or in South America. If my teenager or college student decides to do a stint of work or travel abroad, I think essential mechanics is very important and I also think it's a bit late to teach at that point.

-- we know lots of folks who share your POV, though. DH is often at academic dinners with folks who are quite startled at the level of do-it-yourselfness in our lives, and it is not too hard for us to teach because we ourselves have these skills or are able to quickly acquire them (I am leaning on DH to teach the basic plumbing, but could do it with a book and a misbehaving fixture to practice on).

I imagine this is one of those topics where values and opinions, even among intelligent people of good will, are quite varied!

Truly it is interest led.

Dd learned how to swim when she was 2. It was interest led. This year she is going to learn how to cook because she wants to. Not because I'm forcing cooking on her.

She will know how to pump gas, add brake fluid and windshield washer fluid, change a tire and wipers because that is part of safe driving. But only if she wants to drive. If she never wants to learn to drive why force those skills? She has no interest in trekking through the wilds of Africa or South America. She wants to teach kids to dance. She isn't going to need to know how to make a spark plug out of a piece of scrap metal and spit. But depending on where she lives she may need to know how to navigate the subway system, call a cab, jump start a dead battery or the safest way to walk to work.

I don't believe I should push a "jack of all trades, but master of none" mindset. Why push non-academics on a person with no interest? You like being weekend warriors. But clearly, that isn't for everyone. As you said yourself, not everyone needs to know how to stack wood properly.

And to stick with the topic of this thread, the useful skills learned are learned when there is an interest. Not on a time table. If we didn't live near a pool or a body of water (such as now) when dd was 2 she probably wouldn't have learned to swim so young.

Parrothead, it sounds to me like you ARE doing what the OP is asking about. You are finding the things that you feel there is value for your child to learn because of her iinterests, and you are teaching them. You also say he can call AAA instead of learning how to change a tire, and that learning how to change a tire is a part of safe driving. (I agree with the second perspective.) Really, there are some non-negotiables for what you think children should learn, aren't there? Even if my children never wanted to learn fire safety or how to cross a street, they would be learning it.

My own point of view is that there are things that I want my children to know before they are adults. They don't ever have to change their own tire if they are adults and prefer to call AAA. They don't have to unclog their own sinks or install their own toilets. But it is in their best interests to have basic knowledge in case they do need it. Knowing these kinds of things instills confidence. It also makes it (slightly) less likely that you're going to get ripped off. They don't need to know everything, but they do need to learn enough basic things that they can use a book or video to solve the minor problems that come up in life. At least the children living in my house do. ;)

I wonder if anyone would like to start listing on this or a spin-off thread the things they want to teach their children.

swimming and water safety

fire safety

basic auto maintenance

basic plumbing

cooking and nutrition

basic first aid

laundry and housekeeping

managing finances

general city navigation

"fancy" restaurant manners

how to find people to do things for you should you not want to do them ;)

Yes, I have both an academic and life skill plan, and have for years. Every January or so, it is updated and revised. When they hit high school the academic becomes a transcript with tentative plans for the future.

And of course you can change it. But it has always helped me to have rough plans worked out.

I made one...way back when. I spent a lot of time and effort in it, drove myself a bit nuts researching, bought a ton of books (Contenders for the Faith, Keepers at Home, Life Skills for Kids, a whole reference library of homemaking, sewing, first aid, nutrition, cooking, home repair, personal finance, etc.), and have gradually tossed most of that list aside. The process was helpful to know where I want things to go, but really I think I had a lot of energy and enthusiasm in setting off on the homeschooling journey. I'm only 8 years farther along the road now, but I wish I would've used that time more efficiently. I'm on my 4th four year old, and they have all been very different.

I wish I would've spent more time educating myself so that I could better educate my kids. (I say this when even then I had a J.D. under my belt.) Read SWB's Well-Trained Mind, Well-Educated Mind, and History of the Whole World series. Read some Montessori and Charlotte Mason and think about technique as well as philosphy. Make a bazillion busy bags to pull out now and in the years to come. Invest in a good stack of reference books (science, art, history, etc.). Make a rough sketch, but don't tie yourself self-esteem as a teacher to it. Kids have a way of finding their own path through life. My 11 year old still can't ride a bike but has amazing baby soothing capabilities...my 7 year old can't tie his shoes, but can build amazing multilevel lego structures.... my 4 year old can bake cookies, plan a menu and grocery list, and is a very efficient bathroom cleaner but won't zip her own coat. You just never know....

I haven't read the replies to this, and I mean this sincerely, not snarky, but my overarching plan has been TWTM. I read it every year.

Now, I did make a 4-yr plan for high school based on WTM, but up until then WTM was enough.

During the middle school years I researched colleges and then developed a 4-yr plan based on their requirements, WTM, and our goals for them.

I'm glad I did--high school is harder--I have to do a lot more grading and paperwork now. I do get away for a weekend or two each spring and do my course descriptions for the next year. These kinds of measures help me keep from being overwhelmed while executing my plan.

I am huge on planning too, so I understand!

ETA: Now, after reading the rest of the thread, I can see that you also mean life skills. There are several good guides to life skills already out there, and other posters have also given good ideas for those.