Menu

[UPDATE to "making thick yogurt" post] Thanks to KungFu Panda, I now make it on the stovetop :)

milovany

This post is 2 years old, I'm updating in Post #26.

Original post:

There was a thread here recently about making yogurt and I tried the steps that were outlined in one of the posts. For the first time since I began making yogurt a couple of years ago, it turned out what I'd call thick (in between Greek yogurt thick and thickened-but-fall-off-the-spoon runny). I was so pleased! See photo below.

I've made our yogurt in the crockpot for a couple of years now. I pour a gallon of organic whole milk in, heat it on low for 2.5 to 3 hours, unplug it for about 3 hours and then stir a cup of starter yogurt into some hot milk. Then I pour that back in the crock pot and wrap towels around it overnight. This worked decently well and is definitely easy -- better and cheaper than store bought, but kind of runny. I tried straining it one time to thicken in, but it just seemed like ending up with such a lower volume defeated part of the purpose of making our own (the cost savings).

Here's what I did based on skimomma's post last week:

Heated a gallon of whole milk on low in my crockpot to 185-200 degrees. That took about 3 hours. Unplugged it and let it cool to 110 degrees. That also took about 3 hours. Near the end of that time, I got some water boiling in a teapot and set four quart jars and an empty bowl with lids in it in the sink. I poured the boiling water over all and then poured the boiling water from the bowl over my ladle and funnel. I put the jars on the counter and 1/4 cup of starter yogurt in the bottom of each one. I ladled the heated milk into each jar and did not stir. I put the lids on and put all four jars into our smallest cooler. I got the water coming out of the tap to 115 degrees exactly and filled the cooler to the neck of the jars. Put the lid on cooler and let sit for 24 hours. [see skimomma's post below for her specifics from which I got most of mine; I just now realized it was supposed to be 12 hours and I did 24. Oh well!] When I opened them up, I had thick yogurt! There IS some whey that pours off, but overall it won't just immediately run out of the jar if I turn it over.

Thanks skimomma!

yogurt_zpsth332ihk.jpg

I make it weekly and I have learned a couple of tricks over the years. Mine now comes out just as thick as store bought. I can hold the jars upside down and they don't pour out. I have a yogurt maker but I was never able to make it work. Always runny. AND I was irritated by the little cups. I need to make far more than my maker has capacity for. I use quart-sized mason jars and a picnic cooler. I flash-scald the jars and lids with boiling water first. This has made the most difference. The less other bacteria that the yogurt bacteria has to compete with, the better. I heat the milk to 185 then let is cool to 120. I plop about 1/4 cup yogurt in each jar, then pour the cooled milk on top. NO STIRRING. That is another very important tip. Upsetting the yogurt apparently makes it angry..... Put the lids on and stick them in the cooler. I fill the cooler up to the lids with 115 degree tap water (I use a thermometer to make sure) and let sit for 12 hours. That's it. I use skim milk and no powdered milk. I especially like the cooler/mason jar method because I can make as little or as much as I want.

• Like 9

Thanks so much!! My husband has been on me to start making our own yogurt again, but it just seemed soooo time consuming. With the crockpot, it seems a lot simpler, if I remember to check it :)

I'm the only one who seems to think the crockpot method is a hassle. I just use the stove and a thermometer. I heat to 180. I then put cold water in the sink and put the pot in there stirring until it cools to 115(I think. I'd have to check.) before adding the starter. Anyway, what takes six hours in the crockpot takes 15-20 minutes on the stove. I then put my jars in a cooler overnight and have yogurt in the morning.

• Like 2

I'm the only one who seems to think the crockpot method is a hassle. I just use the stove and a thermometer.

Both methods sound pretty easy. Just depends on what people want. I don't want to have to watch the milk to make sure it doesn't scald. I don't want to stand stirring the yogurt while it cools. I don't even prefer to take the temperature. You don't have to do any of these things with the crockpot. But I understand that you like the quickness of your method and that's great. :)

What kind of thermometer did you used? I need one for my kids tofu making fun and not sure if the candy thermometer is the correct one to buy.

We use a cheesemaking thermometer (basically a cooking thermometer with a long arm). I'm not familiar with candymaking thermometers, so don't know the answer to that part of the question.

We use a cheesemaking thermometer (basically a cooking thermometer with a long arm). I'm not familiar with candymaking thermometers, so don't know the answer to that part of the question.

Thanks.

The candy making ones seems to have a smaller arm and are easier to find. The cooking one with a long arm I saw at a nearby factory outlet selling kitchenware.

ETA:

This is the kind of candy thermometer sold everywhere

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=77E8F9A40E6BF777D542D6775710A359#ip/Taylor-Candy-Jelly-Deep-Fry-Thermometer/16514983

I think it's magical every time I get up in the morning and my yogurt worked!

For thermometers, I just drop my digital meat thermometer into the pot and set it to beep at 180. It came with an attachment to hold it to the side of the pot, but I haven't seen that thing in years. I'm impatient, so rather than wait for the mixture to cool on it's own, I put my entire pot into a sink of cold water and the temp drops in about two minutes. I use the thermometer here too so that I don't let it get too cool.

Both methods sound pretty easy. Just depends on what people want. I don't want to have to watch the milk to make sure it doesn't scald. I don't want to stand stirring the yogurt while it cools. I don't even prefer to take the temperature. You don't have to do any of these things with the crockpot. But I understand that you like the quickness of your method and that's great. :)

Nooooo . . . you were supposed to acknowledge the superiority of my method and convert unquestioningly!

• Like 1

I do what KungFuPanda does, and I use a plain old candy thermometer that clips onto the side of the pan. Works every time. Except when I foolishly try to add more cold water to the cold water bath (because I am too darned impatient to wait for it to cool on its own) and end up running water directly into my milk. And then run to the store to buy more milk RIGHT NOW because I am too impatient to wait until the next time I leave the house. Yep. Crock pots are for patient people. :)

Quick question--I'd love to make my yogurt with organic milk, but all the available organic brands at my store are ultra-pasteurized and I have heard that it won't work to make yogurt. True?

Quick question--I'd love to make my yogurt with organic milk, but all the available organic brands at my store are ultra-pasteurized and I have heard that it won't work to make yogurt. True?

True. The store brand organic at our market is not ultra-pasteurized.

I make mine on the stove with a candy thermometer that clips to the side of my pot. I heat the milk to 180, then set in a sink of cold water until it cools to 118, add starter yogurt (about half of a cup of store yogurt), mix, pour into quart mason jars, put in a cooler filled with warm water, and let it sit 7 hours. Works perfectly every time.

We have never had success making heated yogurt. Something would always happen to prevent me from doing whatever to it at the right time. Now we use counter yogurt and it works great every time.

You can't post that and just leave! WTH is "counter yogurt?"

• Like 3

It got even thicker over night!

Yes, it thickens even more when in the fridge. I also frequently strain it to make "cheese" because I need the whey for other cooking projects.

I really think the key is the scalding step. All else probably does not matter. Since I have been doing that step, I have noticed that I can keep using the same yogurt as starter indefinitely. Before that, I found after a few batches, I would have to buy store bought. My only "theory" at this point is that the competing bacteria was weakening the yogurt bacteria. I have kept the same starter going well over a year. I used to ponder what the people in the "days of yore" did before store-bought yogurt became readily available! This would make an excellent science experiment for some ambitious kid......

Also, the reason yours is not silky, is that you 'cooked' it too hot and it got grainy-I do that too, sometimes. See that big drip falling off the spoon? It's almost elastic. It's not like a dribble, it's a gelatinous spring back drop.

DSCN1636.JPG

Yogurt is like bread. Trial and error until you get the feel for it.

I don't use a crockpot, I just use a stockpot. I make 5 quarts at a time.

You can't post that and just leave! WTH is "counter yogurt?"

Currently we make Viili yogurt. To make one quart, put four tablespoons of the starter in a quart jar, fill the jar with milk, stir, and let sit covered (I use a coffee filter held on with a rubber band) on the counter for 12-18 hours. When it is thick, put in the refrigerator for six hours and then it's done. Make sure to save some for your next batch.

I got the starter on ebay and have just ordered the Caspian Sea yogurt to try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viili-Culture-Yogurt-Starter-Finnish-Curd-ORGANIC-/390547564463?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aee72e7af

I have a question. If I want to make this in smaller jars do I just cut the starter yogurt by dividing by volume of the jar. If 1/4 cup per quart, would it be 1Tbsp per 8oz cup? Also if I want flavored I just put berries/jam do I just put it on top after it sits overnight? I can't put it in before it cultures right. Have any of you tried adding vanilla and sugar before culturing?

Actually this isn't true. I always use ultra-pasturized organic milk and it has never failed for me. I use a yogurt maker and don't even heat up the milk before hand. I just mix the amount of milk I want with a spoonfull of yogurt, poor them into the cups and set for 10 hours. It is always fairly thick yogurt (I used whole milk).

ETA: This is the yogurt maker I have, if it makes a difference.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Both methods sound pretty easy. Just depends on what people want. I don't want to have to watch the milk to make sure it doesn't scald. I don't want to stand stirring the yogurt while it cools. I don't even prefer to take the temperature. You don't have to do any of these things with the crockpot. But I understand that you like the quickness of your method and that's great. smile.gif

Nooooo . . . you were supposed to acknowledge the superiority of my method and convert unquestioningly!

HERE'S MY UPDATE: KFP, you're right ~ the stovetop method is easier!  I concede.  Our crockpot broke so I had to make it on the stovetop and now I prefer it.  I don't put the hot pot in the sink of cold water, I just turn the stove off, so it's not as fast as your method, but yeah, it works great. Once cool, it's so much easier to pour the milk into the jars from the pot rather than having to ladle it from crockpot.  And two years later, I'm still getting thick yogurt without having to use cheesecloth.  I make a gallon or more a week. 

• Like 2

HERE'S MY UPDATE: KFP, you're right ~ the stovetop method is easier! I concede. Our crockpot broke so I had to make it on the stovetop and now I prefer it. I don't put the hot pot in the sink of cold water, I just turn the stove off, so it's not as fast as your method, but yeah, it works great. Once cool, it's so much easier to pour the milk into the jars from the pot rather than having to ladle it from crockpot. And two years later, I'm still getting thick yogurt without having to use cheesecloth. I make a gallon or more a week.

I think we've learned not to question me. Just grab a pen and chronicle my wisdom.

• Like 7

Ugh, there's no way I'm reading that. The two are most definitely not related.  Bummed I bumped now.   I used to send a link to this thread to friends who would ask me about making yogurt as described, now I can't anymore.  :(

I poofed the post. You can safely link to this thread. Of course, if they wander around the chat board....

• Like 1

I have a question. If I want to make this in smaller jars do I just cut the starter yogurt by dividing by volume of the jar. If 1/4 cup per quart, would it be 1Tbsp per 8oz cup? Also if I want flavored I just put berries/jam do I just put it on top after it sits overnight? I can't put it in before it cultures right. Have any of you tried adding vanilla and sugar before culturing?

Can anyone answer these questions?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes, just cut the starter by the appropriate amount.  I tend to add just a wee bit more than my recipe says so if you were doing a couple tablespoons, I might make them a little bit heaping. 

I add flavorings/sweeteners (if using) as I'm serving the yogurt up.  I don't add it to the entire jar/batch. 

Can anyone answer these questions? Inquiring minds want to know.

I do add vanilla extract or sometimes almond extract and sugar before mixing in the starter.

Milovany, thanks for your tips. I am going to try them. My yogurt comes out thick but I do add powdered milk. We love homemade yogurt here.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this up because I've been meaning to say thank you to those who posted instructions for crock pot yogurt in this and other threads.  I've made yogurt in several different ways, and this is my favorite by far!  It's very creamy and thick.  This yogurt is so good that the neighbor girls ask for it when they come over, and my dd bought a crock pot just to make yogurt in after she came home for a visit.

Here's what I used/did.  I do this when I plan to be home all day because it needs some babysitting.

1.  A brand-new Hamilton Beach 5-quart crockpot that dh purchased from Wal Mart when our old one died (about $20).  This crock is great because it has a hole in the lid that I use to insert the thermometer.

2.  A cheapy kitchen thermometer, the kind with a stick-like probe that's about 6" long and a small instant-read dial ($5.99 from Wal Mart).

3.  I flash-sterilize the crock, lid, and thermometer with boiling water.

4.  Whole milk and about 1/2-1 cup whey from the previous batch of yogurt (with a little yogurt mixed in).

5.  Early in the morning, heated the milk for 3 hours on high to 180 degrees F.

6.  After heating, turn off the crock, remove lid, and let the milk cool to 110 degrees F in the crock.

7.  Gently plop in the whey/yogurt without stirring.

8.  Put a beach towel or blanket over the crock/lid, and check every hour to make sure the temperature is 110 degrees.  Turn on the crock as needed, setting a timer so it doesn't overheat or get too cold.

9. If the yogurt hasn't set up by bedtime, I just turn it off and keep the towel/blanket on it.  It will set up by morning.

Thank you, crock pot yogurt ladies!

GardenMom