Menu

Food to stock up on if you are getting sick

Tracy

I have been sick with a cold/upper respiratory infection for 2 1/2 weeks. I finished my antibiotics a couple of days ago, and I am still sick. I expect I will have to go back to the doctor, and stronger antibiotics upset my stomach, so I am gearing up for a long illness.

I need to stock up on food that I can feed my family that does not require a lot of prep. I have some meals in the freezer, but that was intended for busy homeschooling days. I don't particularly care how healthy they are, as I will just make sure everyone gets lots of fruits and veggies. Anyone have any recommendations?

I have been making soup for so long, I forgot I could buy canned! Thanks.

Part of the reason I don't want to use the freezer meals is that most of them still require some prep. Tonight, I was browning meat before throwing it in the oven with the sauce, for example. It works fine when I am well, but not so much when I am sick.

When I'm sick and I need fast meals here's my go to list.

Breakfast: Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches and pancakes on a stick. Love you can nuke them. Cereal, oatmeal w/ milk and juice.

Lunch: Canned soups w/ peanut butter crackers, cheese crackers or sandwich. Bagel sandwiches w/ lunch meats and cheese.

Dinner: Stouffers lasagna, bag salad and garlic bread. Frozen pizza w/ bag salad. Soup in the crockpot--homemade w/ quick bread made in the bread machine. Roast w/ carrots, potatoes and onions cooked in crockpot w/ bag salad.

Basically anything that requires little attention and it's quick.

Hope you'll be feeling better soon!

Black Bean Tacos

1 can black beans drained

1 can corn drained

1 can petite cut tomatoes with juice

1 packet taco seasoning mix

Mix together and heat on stove. Serve on flour tortillas and add in lettuce, sour cream, cheese, etc. as you want.

You can easily throw in left over rice, browned ground beef, cooked shredded chicken, etc.

Me? I'd pick up a couple pounds of ham or turkey, maybe some bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado, etc. Let 'em fend for themselves with sandwiches! Couple bags of frozen fries, a bag of premade salad, fresh fruit, baby carrots, celery, etc. will round it out for a couple of days.

Black Bean Tacos

1 can black beans drained

1 can corn drained

1 can petite cut tomatoes with juice

1 packet taco seasoning mix

Mix together and heat on stove. Serve on flour tortillas and add in lettuce, sour cream, cheese, etc. as you want.

You can easily throw in left over rice, browned ground beef, cooked shredded chicken, etc.

Oh, I love this idea! Too bad my kids would never touch it. :glare:

Me? I'd pick up a couple pounds of ham or turkey, maybe some bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado, etc. Let 'em fend for themselves with sandwiches!

I hadn't even considered having them fend for themselves. :thumbup: I see your kids are about the same age as mine, so I assume you have tried this.

For lunches/dinners, I'd tend to stick with sandwich fixins (either meats/cheeses or pb&j), prepped fruits/veggies and plain chips or pretzels over majorly processed foods. For breakfasts I'd have some cold cereal/milk, oatmeal packets, frozen waffles, etc. (Okay I wouldn't because I don't eat grains, but I would for everyone else). Another great thing to do is boil up a bunch of eggs and have them in a bowl in the fridge, along with some string cheese for protein snacks. Also, if you have apples on hand, an apple and some nut butter goes a long way toward filling a tummy!

Anything my kids can cool solo! (and usually all the processed junk I don't want in the house - but it's survival time!)

This week with me under the weather - dd is making BLT pasta, bag salad, garlic bread, frozen pie. As I lie in bed and watch terrible reality tv it smells amazing - and I'm not cooking it!

I hadn't even considered having them fend for themselves. :thumbup: I see your kids are about the same age as mine, so I assume you have tried this.

My 8 year old can manage a simple sandwich for himself and his sister. Meats, veggies, cheese, etc. would need to be pre-sliced. Better yet, let your spouse make sandwiches for the kids in the morning and pack a lunch like they were going to school for the day. My kids enjoy the novelty of eating out of a lunchbox every now and then. ;-)

Also, what about some single-serving items they can grab for themselves? Granola bars, yogurt cups or tubes, cheese sticks, bananas, etc. are all things they'd be able to get more or less on their own.

dry cereal, instant oatmeal

canned soup, canned soup, canned soup

crackers

cheese

cottage cheese, individual flavored yoghurts

cans of tuna

microwaveable meals from Trader Joes

milk, juice, bottled water

a bit of fruit

I know this is terrible and unbalanced, but my kids will eat this stuff without asking me for any help.

Plus it doesn't require much, if any, cooking. I don't want to go into the kitchen and find pots full of burned-on food.

Me? I'd pick up a couple pounds of ham or turkey, maybe some bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado, etc. Let 'em fend for themselves with sandwiches! Couple bags of frozen fries, a bag of premade salad, fresh fruit, baby carrots, celery, etc. will round it out for a couple of days.

That's would I'd do. They'll survive.

I had the stomach flu so bad one day when my twins were 5 and my husband was out of town. I told them to eat whatever they could find. I think they ate string cheese and yogurt for lunch. It worked!

For you - so you can get better: get a couple bags of navel oranges, a jar of minced garlic, and a bottle of Bragg's raw apple cider vinegar. Eat 2 whole oranges per day, minimum. Put a tablespoon of the minced garlic into your food, twice a day. Make a mug of hot water and add a teaspoon of the vinegar (don't shake it up first) and sip it like tea, twice a day. (disclaimer - I'm not a doctor or nurse and this isn't medical advice. It's anecdotal "this works for me" info.) I hope you feel better much sooner than you are expecting to !

What is BLT pasta?

Cook up some penne - or whatever pasta you have

Dice some tomatoes and cook until soft with olive oil and garlic.

Cook up some bacon. We use the microwave kind.

Dump cooked pasta in with tomatoes. Throw some basil in on top. Crumble the bacon and chuck it in. If you want - throw in some feta or parm. Stir and eat.

We eat this a lot in the summer, and my 10 yar old can make it. Bonus!

Chef Boyardee (ravioli, spaghetti, chili mac..whatever), chicken nuggets, fish sticks, Mac-n-cheese in a box or frozen, instant potatoes, instant oatmeal or cold cereal for breakfast, maybe some egg beaters you can just pour and heat. Frozen waffles, sausage and biscuits, silver dollar pancakes, pancakes and sausage on a stick, corn dogs, canned soup, lots of juice and canned fruit and maybe some canned veggies. Any of these can be used during any meal! And get dh to help if possible!

Chef Boyardee (ravioli, spaghetti, chili mac..whatever), chicken nuggets, fish sticks, Mac-n-cheese in a box or frozen, instant potatoes, instant oatmeal or cold cereal for breakfast, maybe some egg beaters you can just pour and heat. Frozen waffles, sausage and biscuits, silver dollar pancakes, pancakes and sausage on a stick, corn dogs, canned soup, lots of juice and canned fruit and maybe some canned veggies. Any of these can be used during any meal! And get dh to help if possible!

Wow, this is BAD food. I haven't even tried some of this stuff. And it's all going on my 'Mom is sick' shopping list, lol. (Seriously, I will put it on the notes app on my iPhone.) Now I am thinking baked beans, eaten out of the can...

Has anyone mentioned ice cream?