Menu

which refrigerator should I get?

ProudGrandma

I am now looking at refrigerators ...which one should I look at getting? What features should I get? I want one with a water hook up for ice cubes and water in the door, but I can't. We use a water ionizer for our water and there is no way to hook it up to the fridge so we don't water from our tap for water or ice.

Do you prefer a side by side? or top or bottom freezer? and why???

I hate my side by side frig. Nothing fits in it. I can't put a frozen pizza in the freezer side and there isn't much more room on the frig side. I never would have picked it out.

When we move, I'm getting a french door one. Frig on top, freezer on the bottom.

We do have water/ice in our frig. Our R/O water is hooked up to it. It's a nice feature to have and makes getting water/ice very convenient.

Side by side should be last on your list. Bleh. My 2nd favorite fridge is the one with the freezer on bottom. Makes so much more sense than freezer on top. But my 1st favorite is my current fridge -- it's freezerless (all fridge)!! Love, love it. So much space. We have a full sized freezer just off the kitchen. I picked it up through Sears.com.

I hate my side by side frig. Nothing fits in it. I can't put a frozen pizza in the freezer side and there isn't much more room on the frig side.

Same issues here. The freezer feels smaller, the fridge feels smaller. Mostly because I can't fit a frozen pizza in the freezer and I can't fit a cookie sheet in the fridge. We used to have a bottom freezer model and when this one dies I want a bottom freezer again. I like the full width of the fridge portion and that it's easier access. My dh really has trouble seeing what's on the bottom rack of the fridge door with the side-by-side. He says when he can't find something he can always hear my voice inside his head saying, "Bend down and look!" :laugh:

I actually LOVE my side by side But it's the biggest one out there (31 cu) and it actually holds more than my mom's bottom freezer fridge unit. For instance I can put 5 half sheet pans in my fridge (4 on the shelves plus a fifth one slides perfectly on the built in supports for shelves). A large pizza box is absolutely no problem, nor is my 4 gallon soup pot. I regularly store 6-8 gallons of milk plus a chunk of our regular food in there (I say a chunk because I do have a 2nd fridge for overflow) I actually haven't found anything that DOESN'T fit in my fridge however if you were to get a smaller side by side (say a 25 cubit) than yeah you would probably have a harder time getting big things in there.

I love my bottom-freezer fridge. I will always have a bottom freezer, although the next time I have to buy one, I want the freezer to have a big drawer. Mine is a door, with a small, lower drawer, but when I bought it 15 years ago, it was all that was available. I have no opinion about french doors versus a single door. :-)

I don't need water and ice on the door. We don't usually drink ice water, anyway, and filling ice cube trays has never been an issue for us. Besides, we have a reverse-osmosis unit, which also cannot be hooked up to a fridge, so there you go. :-)

I'd have a side-by-side if it could be a really ginormous one, but since it's just Mr. Ellie and me, we don't need one that big. :-) However, a friend needs a side-by-side because she needs the smaller doors because of her kitchen layout.

Side by side should be last on your list. Bleh. My 2nd favorite fridge is the one with the freezer on bottom. Makes so much more sense than freezer on top. But my 1st favorite is my current fridge -- it's freezerless (all fridge)!! Love, love it. So much space. We have a full sized freezer just off the kitchen. I picked it up through Sears.com.

This is what I want too, with a separate chest freezer. I hate my side by side, and we limited by a precise opening so a lot of the french doors won't fit.

I also want either brushed stainless or black next time, I hate the shiny stainless, it looks smeary and dirty all the time.

Since the topic is already going...what brands are people having luck with and what brands are giving you problems? We're going to be buying one in the next few months and I really need to get researching. We need a BIG one. That's about all I know at this time.

Our fridge doesn't have a water hook up - instead you refill a bottle that then feeds the ice maker. It's designed for places in the world where tap water is not good - for us it just made siting the fridge easier.

It's a side-by-side and we are pleased with it. It's an LG.

Laura

Our fridge doesn't have a water hook up - instead you refill a bottle that then feeds the ice maker. It's designed for places in the world where tap water is not good - for us it just made siting the fridge easier.

Laura

this is VERY interesting to me...can you send me a link to the exact one you have?? How big is the refill bottle?

this is VERY interesting to me...can you send me a link to the exact one you have?? How big is the refill bottle?

It's called a 'non-plumbed' fridge on the LG website. I think it's this one - don't know if it's available in your country. The bottle sits in the fridge door and holds - I would guess - about three litres?

Laura

I am now looking at refrigerators ...which one should I look at getting? What features should I get? I want one with a water hook up for ice cubes and water in the door, but I can't. We use a water ionizer for our water and there is no way to hook it up to the fridge so we don't water from our tap for water or ice.

Do you prefer a side by side? or top or bottom freezer? and why???

Water and ice in the door was not that important to me, so I skipped it. I went for the French doors with bottom freezer. 25 c. I loved it. Right now I have a simple freezer on top......even though it is just a temporary frig until we remodel our kitchen I like it MUCH better than the side by side I had. I hated that one.

Laura

That's pretty neat. I would have loved something like that, as we don't have a water hook up, and couldn't, w/out serious costs to install.

OP- My dream fridge was a Samsung French door, but it wouldn't fit in my kitchen. I bought a Kitchenaid w/ freezer ont the bottom that I loved for the first 5-6 months, but now every week to 10 days I'm cleaning a 1/4 inch layer of ice off the bottom of my freezer. So I'm not happy w/ it at the moment. I haven't had it a year yet, so I need to call them to come fix it. I do love my deli drawer/tray that goes all the way across, and is under the produce bins- it gives me so much more room on the shelves for taller stuff.

Does anybody know if an "unplumbed" type is available in the US? I have never even heard of such a thing, and I wonder if that is why? If so, no big deal, but I was just curious.

I can't imagine that a place that carries that brand can't order one. It may take a while to get. We have an HG Washer/Dryer combo unit, VERY common in Europe, but nobody in the states has ever heard of such a thing. most of the time, I *LOVE* it. I can put a load of jeans in at night, and in the morning they are ready to put on. We got it at Best Buy in their discounted section. It was a return. Apparently a special order that someone didn't like.

I would check this website. http://www.ajmadison.com/ they seem to have access to TONS of appliances. And some of the European stuff is becoming more popular in the states as we become more conscientious about what we put in our bodies. <struggling to walk away from the soapbox>