Menu

Okay. My Friday has to end right freaking now. Unless someone has chocolate to share.

Guest inoubliable

Guest inoubliable

Landlord just called. I was on my way to the bathroom (and, let's face it - I didn't want to talk to him) so I didn't answer. Before I even got out of the bathroom, there is a loud knocking at the door. He was at the door.

He asked about the copy of the lease and I said I didn't have one! So then he hands me a letter saying, "That's okay, I just spoke to the lady at the bank and she said that if I got you to write a letter, and sign it, that would work.". Um. I said, "I didn't write this, though." He says, "That's okay. She doesn't have to know.". I said, "You spelled my name wrong. Twice.". He said, "Oh? Well. She doesn't have to know." I said, "I'd like my husband to take a look and sign." He said, "He doesn't need to. I didn't include his name for that reason. Just yours."

I didn't know what to do!

I signed it.

I remember the loan officer's name and the bank. The letter said that I've been tenants of his, in this property, since July 2010 and confirmed our monthly rent.

What did I just do??

When he left he said, "Thanks. I needed it for financial reasons." And then he ran to his car.

I'm now eating vegan chocolate chips out of the bag. I'm actually a little scared to tell DH. With his feelings towards the landlord and all the stuff we've gone through in the last 24 hours with the mortgage thing, I'm afraid he'll call up the landlord and have it out with him. I want to call the loan person over there and tell her that I signed under duress and that, while there's nothing untrue in the letter, I didn't write that letter.

If there's nothing untrue in it, try not to worry. It is probably just his refi. Really, it doesn't matter. Confirming what you have paid and that you rent puts you at zero risk.

And pass the chocolate, I don't believe I've ever tried vegan chocolate. Is it carob or something?

The letter said that I've been tenants of his, in this property, since July 2010 and confirmed our monthly rent.

What did I just do??

While I completely disagree with the way the guy handled this, I don't see how signing that letter will harm or disadvantage you in any way. If all you did was confirm the part quoted above, then it's probably a non-issue. Sounds like your landlord needed to confirm your tenancy for a loan or something along those lines.

I'm sorry. Your landlord sounds like real piece of work. :grouphug:

Guest inoubliable

I just called DH to tell him. There was a good long moment of silence. And, then this. "Whose pen did you use?" :confused1: "His. He pushed it into my hand with the papers. What difference does THAT make??"

"Did you have a chance to wash your hands before you left the bathroom?"

:huh: Oh. Um. No. I did that when I got back upstairs.

"Good."

I just called DH to tell him. There was a good long moment of silence. And, then this. "Whose pen did you use?" :confused1: "His. He pushed it into my hand with the papers. What difference does THAT make??"

"Good."

LOL. :lol: Men.

That idiot has some serious boundary issues. :glare:

I can't wait for the day when you post to let us know you're packing to move to a new, better place. You're under way too much stress where you are! :grouphug:

I want to double-triple-quadruple like this post.

Guest inoubliable

Yeah, good.

The guy is a freak. Did you get a copy? Write down everything that happened. Do you have any idea what you signed?

You know, I thought about asking for a copy but I didn't. I read it over and it really was a very short "This is me. I live here. I've been here since way back here. I pay this every month." He had my name/address/phone number stuff at the top of the page. In purple print and bubble font. :glare: Because that's what every woman's personal stationery looks like? That annoyed me so I very pointedly signed my name stressing the correct spelling. I'm sort of hoping that the loan officer sees that and questions why I would incorrectly type my name twice (with two misspellings, one in my first name and one in my last) on my personalized stationery.

I was just thinking that maybe you should start a little notebook, documenting every single encounter with the landlord. Make a note of exactly what happened this morning, including the time and all of the circumstances, so in case there's anything in the letter that could be in any way harmful to you, you can document that you felt bullied into signing it. You'll probably never need it, but with an idiot like that, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Keep track of everything in case you are able to move out before he moves on and have trouble.

And he's being a complete jerk about all this.

But what you did won't hurt you as long as it was true. There's not really anything wrong with the fact that you didn't write the letter. If I wanted to refi or sell my house I would have done the same (except I would have TOLD my awesome tenants IMMEDIATELY what it was for and how it might impact them and my timeline). But writing the letter for you was probably him trying to be courteous.

He's either trying to refi or selling. Neither one necessarily hurts you. In fact the latter might be to your benefit.

Your a much better person than me. I used to close the curtains and just ignore my landlord when he was creeping around my house.

I would not answer the door if he is there or take his phone calls. Tell him to put everything in writing.

The longer it takes him to sell the house the longer it gives you to find new housing.

I doubt he is selling it. I bet it is a refi since interest rates are so low. He doesn't want to tell you he is getting his payment lowered, because he doesn't want you to think you should owe less rent, lol. But I'm sorry, it is so stressful to deal with someone who is not a grown up.

I doubt he is selling it. I bet it is a refi since interest rates are so low. He doesn't want to tell you he is getting his payment lowered, because he doesn't want you to think you should owe less rent, lol. But I'm sorry, it is so stressful to deal with someone who is not a grown up.

I'm starting to think the same thing.

Don't worry about the letter. Document it, but then I think you can release the worry.

Your landlord is such a whackadoodle.

"Good."

:laugh: Love your DH's response!!