Menu

Warning about Google images...

I was just engaging in some creative googling, looking for fun images to insert in a couple of my posts. This is fairly innocuous stuff, guys. So anyway, I typed a phrase into the browser and found what you'd normally expect. Then I saw one picture that I thought would be funny (not weird at all) and when I opened it I saw something really, really vile. I mean, totally gross, and I am not a prude nor am I easily skeeved.

So anyway, I know that most of us are very careful when the kiddoes are around, but I would encourage you to be even moreso, especially when doing a search on images. And ftr, I am set at "strict safe search." Wow.

Thank you anj for letting us know.

I agree with EL. My girls have no idea what a seach engine is or if it exists.

Oh, my gosh! That happened to me, too! I was freaked out! Dh explained how it can happen innocently like that, but I can't remember enough to repeat it.

Also, when Googling Brazilian warships, guess what kind of links weren't far down the page? Who'da thunk?

Chelle

I guess I am the only sickie whose curiosity wants to know what you googled.blah-blah-072.gif

No you're not. I've gotten 10 PMs asking me for the 911.

:lol::lol::lol:

Just kidding! But I'm sure you're not the only one. Heck, if I were you I'd be looking up my last couple of posts trying to figure out what I said that might cause me to find a gross picture. :D

The year before last, I googled images of carrots for a science lesson, because I wanted to show my kindergartener an example of a tap root. :eek:

Needless to say, it was NOT what I was looking for!!

(But it's better than the time my oldest daughter was 5 or 6, and her and her sister decided to find out about squirrels by typing "nuts.com" into the browser... I heard her spelling it out, and went flying into the room to shut the monitor off just in time. We learned that it was time to start enforcing some computer usage rules and install filtering software on the kids' computer!!)

Ugh. This irritates me to no end! I set my daughter (10yo) up on a parakeet site when she was researching information before we bought her parakeet. She was clicking on a few pictures to see people's parakeets (some were videos). Some sicko had a picture of a parakeet in the "thumbnail", but when you clicked on it - it was a video of a stripper.

She (bless her innocent heart) started giggling and said that some lady was dancing on a stage and her skirt must've fallen off (we'd watched America's Funniest Home Videos the evening before this happened). I took one look and nearly launched myself across the room at the computer before the video could go any further. And I'm just thankful (!?!?) that it wasn't any worse!

:glare: At this point, my kids aren't allowed on the internet until the year 2018 (when my oldest will be 20! LOL)

Ugh!

I can't remember the search string I used now, but I was showing them Google images as a way of getting pictures for their Powerpoints, and sure enough...there was a pic of a woman that I was very embarrassed about. Thankfully the class was mostly female nursing students, but after that I played around to get something that came about better and I always pre-checked before that lecture.

Guest kacifl

We were googling information about 'Little Red Riding Hood'... oh my:blush:

There weren't any pictures, as I wasn't in images, but the language!

I don't know how to do it. K

Guest kacifl

We were looking at cute videos about Shih-too (spelled???) dogs and then I could see on the side bar that the next few videos were about women being spanked, etc. Even worse.

Now our rules to the kids are that if a friend sends you-tube email, that I need to be with them to see it and then it is sent to the garbage.

Now, the kids can only visit God's Tube. K

It is WAY too easy to pull up something graphic. Dh was looking for information about what to do for our problematic septic system. Yeah, well he found the sewer for sure. Things that ought not be. We had a terrible time clearing it from our history, it wanted to stay to the top of the drop-down box. UGH

Anyway he finally found what he was looking for and called the company to ask them a question. After answering his question she gave him the web address, then said, "Better read that back to me to make sure it's exactly right." He said, "We already know!"

Truely I think sights and imagines should have to be labeled xxx. Filters don't always work, and sometimes they block medical sights and info about pregnancy and nursing.

It is WAY too easy to pull up something graphic. Dh was looking for information about what to do for our problematic septic system. Yeah, well he found the sewer for sure. Things that ought not be. We had a terrible time clearing it from our history, it wanted to stay to the top of the drop-down box. UGH

Anyway he finally found what he was looking for and called the company to ask them a question. After answering his question she gave him the web address, then said, "Better read that back to me to make sure it's exactly right." He said, "We already know!"

Truely I think sights and imagines should have to be labeled xxx. Filters don't always work, and sometimes they block medical sights and info about pregnancy and nursing.

:iagree: That would be great. I rarely do my own searching for this very reason. Dh seems to have the knack for using the right words to get what I want and nothing that I don't want.:001_smile:

This thread cracks me up. I remember waaayyyy back in high school in 1989 or so (gulp!) a friend got the internet. I knew *no one* else who had it, or even a PC at that time. ANyway, when her parents were gone, we looked...you guessed it. See, on the news and whatnot all we heard was about p0rnography on the internet- so we had no idea what else it was used for! Wow- what an education THAT was. We put the *most* outrageous things into the search box, and wouldn't you know- there was a picture of someone doing it *all*.

Then I didn't use the internet until 1993 or so.

:D

My oldest uses Google Images all the time. We have a good strong filter, but I better watch more carefully if this stuff is getting through! Thanks for the warning!

You can set it to safe search and that stuff will not come up. The kids' computer is set to the highest secure search. My personal computer is set to moderate safe search. Much better without those images!!!

But I already have it on the highest safety level. It says: "Use strict filtering (Filter both explicit text and explicit images)".

That's why I made the comment, because if something like that can happen even when you have it set to "strict search", we'd all better be extra careful.

That's why I made the comment, because if something like that can happen even when you have it set to "strict search", we'd all better be extra careful.

You are correct. And just because it might filter out a nude person doesn't mean it filters out a woman in a bra and bikini. In our house -- they are both nakedness.

You are correct. And just because it might filter out a nude person doesn't mean it filters out a woman in a bra and bikini. In our house -- they are both nakedness.

And even though it may filter out a full-length photo of a nude person, it may not filter out photos of just certain nude parts engaged in certain activities. Googling for photos of archeological finds taught me that. Yuck. I, too, have it set to the highest security level.

Did you contact Google about what you found? On their Safesearch help page, they ask you to notify them if something slips by a safesearch request. I know, it is just a drop in the bucket, but still....

I could really get on my soapbox about this. It is so hard to guard our children's innocence.

Did you contact Google about what you found? On their Safesearch help page, they ask you to notify them if something slips by a safesearch request. I know, it is just a drop in the bucket, but still....

I could really get on my soapbox about this. It is so hard to guard our children's innocence.

No, that hadn't even occurred to me. I will go over and do that now.

Thanks for mentioning it!;)

No, that hadn't even occurred to me. I will go over and do that now.

Thanks for mentioning it!;)

BTW, I forgot to say thanks for posting this. It made me go double check all of the security settings on my ds's computer. He has the K9 filter on the very highest setting, but I went ahead and blocked all access to Google from his computer. He doesn't know about it and does not need it. :001_smile:

What is "ftr"...and, what do you mean by "strick safe search?"

Thanks!

~Holly

Oh, that's just internet speak: "ftr" stands for "for the record."

"Strict safe search" is the term used by Google to describe their strictest standards for keeping nudity or inappropriate content out of a list of items you find when you search for a topic.

Where are the filters? Is it on you web browser or is it on the Google search page?

It is on the Google page. Click preferences over to the right, and you can set it. But like everyone else is saying, it is still not something you can depend on.