Menu

What do you use for spelling and do you love it?

Marie131

We LOVE AAS. I don't mind that it's not independent, because I like to work on handwriting at the same time, so I make sure dc are forming letters correctly, taking thier time, etc. I have used spelling lists, dictation only, and SWO, and bought/sampled/sold Rod and Staff 3rd grade... None of the above felt like I was actually teaching spelling. With AAS I definitely am. I am confident teaching it, dc are confident learning it, and we all enjoy it.

We enjoy Logic of English a lot. I am using both Essentials (with my 3rd grader) and Foundations (beta test of "K" level with my K'er and dabbling with my just-turned-four yr old). I like the presentation of the material and the flexibility. We definitely needed a rules/phonogram based program and all the letter tiles in AAS didn't appeal to me. My DD's spelling has improved tremendously over the year. There are cheaper options for rules-based programs, but at the time I was purchasing I wanted something with bells and whistles like games, flash cards, workbook, etc. Now that I know everything I know now about how to teach spelling with rules and phonograms, I am not sure I absolutely NEED all those things...but I have them now, and the investment is made! :-)

We also use All About Spelling and love it. I can take as long or as short on a step as dd needs. She doesn't memorize spelling lists, because we learn based on spelling rules. I started AAR with dd2, and we just enjoy all of Marie Rippel's curriculum so far.

Edited to add that dd is a very kinesthetic learner, so the tiles are wonderful for her. She gets bored quickly with just writing.

I tend to teach phonics/spelling while intensively teaching handwriting. Cursive handwriting requires students to be comfortable spelling and writing in syllables. When I am teaching cursive first, HTT/Alpha-Phonics is what I choose to use along with the phongram pdfs scattered around Don Potter's website.

When I was considering dropping cursive first, I was planning on using WRTR 4th edition. I completed the program myself, and am glad I did for my own self-education. But now that I have recommitted to cursive first, HTT is the only way I know to do that.

After using AAS levels 1-3, I switched over to R&S Spelling and was surprised to find the SAME rules taught (particularly when you get to level 4). We started at level 3 and now are in 4. I absolutely love it. He's getting phonetic spelling with plenty of work with the words, breaking words into syllables, etc. And most important, his spelling in his original writing is improving! So I'm very happy. It's completely independent (except the test), which I really like because I HATE teaching spelling. If I had a child that struggled with spelling, I'd make the time to use AAS or WRTR or something else, but this child is an average speller. Once he is taught a word and the phonics involved, he remembers it. He doesn't need an O-G program. So I finally decided to stop wasting my time on something he didn't need. We are both very happy now, and again, he's learning the same things he was learning in AAS. It's awesome. I had discounted R&S Spelling after trying the grade 2 book for a week, but once he actually worked through the grade 3 book, I saw the phonics in there. And then the grade 4 book... wow. It actually gets difficult (the work, not the words). So I've been very pleased with it, and I wish I hadn't discounted it from that first glance long ago.

After using AAS levels 1-3, I switched over to R&S Spelling and was surprised to find the SAME rules taught (particularly when you get to level 4). We started at level 3 and now are in 4. I absolutely love it. He's getting phonetic spelling with plenty of work with the words, breaking words into syllables, etc. And most important, his spelling in his original writing is improving! So I'm very happy. It's completely independent (except the test), which I really like because I HATE teaching spelling. If I had a child that struggled with spelling, I'd make the time to use AAS or WRTR or something else, but this child is an average speller. Once he is taught a word and the phonics involved, he remembers it. He doesn't need an O-G program. So I finally decided to stop wasting my time on something he didn't need. We are both very happy now, and again, he's learning the same things he was learning in AAS. It's awesome. I had discounted R&S Spelling after trying the grade 2 book for a week, but once he actually worked through the grade 3 book, I saw the phonics in there. And then the grade 4 book... wow. It actually gets difficult (the work, not the words). So I've been very pleased with it, and I wish I hadn't discounted it from that first glance long ago.

This review makes me want to look at R&S! We use Spell to Write and Read. *I* love it, but would love something a little easier to implement.

We use R&S spelling and it makes my ds cry. He really doesn't enjoy it at all, and that's with me doing most of the writing for him and sitting with him while he does the exercises. His spelling has not improved much, so i'm going to finish the year with it and maybe work through my WRTR manual over the summer in preparation for using it with him next year.

We use R&S spelling and it makes my ds cry. He really doesn't enjoy it at all, and that's with me doing most of the writing for him and sitting with him while he does the exercises. His spelling has not improved much, so i'm going to finish the year with it and maybe work through my WRTR manual over the summer in preparation for using it with him next year.

I wouldn't expect his spelling to improve if you're doing the writing for him... with any program. How old is he?

Logic of English. It has transformed our home education in the way it makes spelling & reading so much easier for my dyslexic dd. Teaching it is so easy--there is a lot of review and optional extra pracice built in, plus games that help cement the rules. There are also Youtube videos you can watch that have really helped me understand how to teach it even better.

I was actually going to say all of this but you said it so well. We have used AAS for the last few years and have done pretty good with it but I found it time consuming and wanted something more independent. So I began my search and after a lot of recommendations, I purchased Rod and Staff's spelling program. First of all the price is fantastic. It is so inexpensive compared to AAS. But here is what I am really excited about...

My girls really like having a workbook format for Spelling. With AAS, we talked about the rules a lot and worked them on the whiteboard but then put the tiles away. With Rod and Staff spelling, when my daughter forgot a rule, we just turned back a page and looked at her previous work. She remembered the lesson and understood what she needed to do. I like the idea of the workbook as a reference tool.

The lessons are easy to schedule. Do part A on Monday, part B on Tuesday etc... with a test on Thursday.

The very first week my daughter who has always struggled with spelling got a 100% on her spelling test. We were both very excited.

I like How to Teach Spelling/How to Spell series. I liked AAS, but it was very teacher intensive and I was using it with 3 children. HTTS is similar but more independent. I do think if I hadn't done AAS first then I would have a more difficult time understanding how to use HTTS/HTS.

I have a love/hate relationship with R&S. I loved the workbooks and the exercises, but I wanted something that taught rules. While I know some may disagree and maybe I wasn't using/reading. the TM right I didn't feel R&S did that as clearly as HTTS and AAS do.

ETA: I suppose I should also note that I am using Phonetic Zoo with my more auditory son and he is doing very well with it. I don't think it is as thorough rule wise as the other programs I have mentioned and the jingles are enough to drive me crazy. also I wish they would add more rules in B & C instead of just harder words.

guess I am done rambling for now. :)

I wouldn't expect his spelling to improve if you're doing the writing for him... with any program. How old is he?

I realize that, but it wasn't improving before I started doing the writing for him. I don't do all of the writing for him, just some of it. He's 10 and he's working in grade 4 because that's what grade he's in. Last year we used TRAH by Wanda Sanseri and he did improve, but I had really hoped to get spelling to be independent.

I realize that, but it wasn't improving before I started doing the writing for him. I don't do all of the writing for him, just some of it. He's 10 and he's working in grade 4 because that's what grade he's in. Last year we used TRAH by Wanda Sanseri and he did improve, but I had really hoped to get spelling to be independent.

IMHO, this does sound like a kid who needs AAS because it can be all tile and typing based. If you are scribing for him anyway to eliminate the writing, I would really think about moving to a program that eliminates that barrier, but still has the student demonstrate what they know by spelling with tiles.

IMHO, this does sound like a kid who needs AAS because it can be all tile and typing based. If you are scribing for him anyway to eliminate the writing, I would really think about moving to a program that eliminates that barrier, but still has the student demonstrate what they know by spelling with tiles.

Agreed!

We use Apples and Pears spelling after flopping with AAS and HTTS.

I absolutely LOVE Apples and Pears! It has improved my dd's spelling dramatically.

I wrote a review about it here.

:iagree: We used 2 levels of AAS. It was frustrating for DD and she just hated it. She loves Apples and Pears and she's doing really well with it. It is teacher intensive but I can talk to/work with DS at the same time that I'm dictating words/sentences to DD.

I had discounted R&S Spelling after trying the grade 2 book for a week, but once he actually worked through the grade 3 book, I saw the phonics in there. And then the grade 4 book... wow. It actually gets difficult (the work, not the words). So I've been very pleased with it, and I wish I hadn't discounted it from that first glance long ago.

The amount of writing in these books is very age appropriate IMO. None of my children have found it to be too much.

Would you ladies make some recommendations for me? My 1st grader is reading very well (she reads everything/anything.) We haven't been doing any spelling instruction because she seems to just remember rules from what she's read and her phonics instruction (not doing this anymore). She asks me how to spell things occasionally and I am naturally a good speller and don't know the rules, so I thought some instruction would be nice. (I have WRTR and will use this program with any of my children who need intense spelling instruction but for her the time might be better spent on math.) Should I begin with SSS 2 for her? 3? 4? And do you recommend the teacher's manual for each level?

DD2 is reading well, but we're still working on phonics because she enjoys it. She has only recently started writing, however. Should I start her in a spelling book now that she's reading? Should I wait until she's writing more often? (She isn't doing copy work yet, still in a handwriting book.)

I love SWR because:

• I get all levels in one book. I don't have to mess with placement, except to give a diagnostic test. I don't have to buy a new book each year.
  • I can use it for multiple children at the same time. I don't need an extra book (except for the log book they put their words in).
  • It is inexpensive.
  • It is thorough (but so are the other programs I am seeing mentioned here)
  • It is very effective. My dd7 increased in spelling ability by over a year in only 4 months.
  • It has spelling/reading/handwriting/grammar integrated together. I could potentially include composition, but that wouldn't work with my dd7.
  • It teaches using all different learning styles--visual, auditory and kinesthetic. So I can teach to my dc's strength while also strengthening weaknesses.
  • After the initial learning curve, it is totally open and go.

I love SWR because:

• I get all levels in one book. I don't have to mess with placement, except to give a diagnostic test. I don't have to buy a new book each year.

• I can use it for multiple children at the same time. I don't need an extra book (except for the log book they put their words in).

• It is inexpensive.

• It is thorough (but so are the other programs I am seeing mentioned here)

• It is very effective. My dd7 increased in spelling ability by over a year in only 4 months.

• It has spelling/reading/handwriting/grammar integrated together. I could potentially include composition, but that wouldn't work with my dd7.

• It teaches using all different learning styles--visual, auditory and kinesthetic. So I can teach to my dc's strength while also strengthening weaknesses.

• After the initial learning curve, it is totally open and go.

:iagree:

Interesting! Thanks for this. I've seen R&S mentioned a lot but never have considered it. Maybe it it is worth a look. My ds is not workbooky, but I just might try it. Is there a lot of daily work? I want something that is quick and will get the job done, my ds seems to pick up spelling naturally.

Interesting! Thanks for this. I've seen R&S mentioned a lot but never have considered it. Maybe it it is worth a look. My ds is not workbooky, but I just might try it. Is there a lot of daily work? I want something that is quick and will get the job done, my ds seems to pick up spelling naturally.

In the grade 3 book, I think it took my son about 5-10 minutes per day. He would do Part A one day, Parts B and C the next day, then he'd study the words until test day. In the grade 4 book, it takes a bit longer - maybe 10-15 minutes to work a section, and he has to do Part C on a separate day now. I agree with SilverMoon that the amount of writing is age appropriate. My son is pencil phobic but has worked up to the ability to write a paragraph this year. He has no problem getting the work done, writing-wise. In the grade 4 book, there are sometimes questions he has trouble answering just because they're trickier. He didn't have any such problems in the grade 3 book.

Definitely quick and get the job done. And I can go work with another kid while he does it. :D

That sounds great. Do I need the TM for it or is just the workbook fine?

I get the TM. It's a lot quicker to check his work that way. Also, in grade 4, it starts dictation. I'd the TM absolutely necessary? No, but it's really nice to have, and it's very inexpensive. I would at the very least get it for levels 4+.

We use Apples and Pears spelling after flopping with AAS and HTTS.

I absolutely LOVE Apples and Pears! It has improved my dd's spelling dramatically.

I wrote a review about it here.

We never used HTTS, but ours is a similar experience. Ariel just finished the level A book and her spelling has improved so much! And it doesn't have 100 pieces to deal with (no cards, tiles, jail, notebook, etc.)

Haven't you been using it since the beginning? Did you see this increase even though you had already been using it? I keep hearing this, but we've always used it (with a sprinkling of other things, but we always come back to it) so I've never really thought that we'd make a big jump in ability. My ds is only in 2nd, so I never have really done the diagnostic tests or tested him. Whenever I go to another program, he is always spelling such easier words that I know he is furthest ahead in SWR. Maybe I should actually test him and see where he is.

Haven't you been using it since the beginning? Did you see this increase even though you had already been using it? I keep hearing this, but we've always used it (with a sprinkling of other things, but we always come back to it) so I've never really thought that we'd make a big jump in ability. My ds is only in 2nd, so I never have really done the diagnostic tests or tested him. Whenever I go to another program, he is always spelling such easier words that I know he is furthest ahead in SWR. Maybe I should actually test him and see where he is.

We did a year of SWO first. This is our 3rd year of SWR. The first 2 years, I saw steady progress, and she remained slightly ahead of her grade level. But this year, she tested at grade 3.0 when we started in August, about where she left off the previous May. (She would be in 2nd grade, but she has a spring birthday, so she is an old 2nd grader.) And then she tested grade 4.2 in January even after taking one month off. IMO, the sudden increase is because of the greater exposure to words in doing 40 words per week.

We did a year of SWO first. This is our 3rd year of SWR. The first 2 years, I saw steady progress, and she remained slightly ahead of her grade level. But this year, she tested at grade 3.0 when we started in August, about where she left off the previous May. (She would be in 2nd grade, but she has a spring birthday, so she is an old 2nd grader.) And then she tested grade 4.2 in January even after taking one month off. IMO, the sudden increase is because of the greater exposure to words in doing 40 words per week.

I'm going to message you in order not to completely hijack this thread. :)

We started using Spelling Power this year. I have seen a wonderful improvement in dd's spelling and how she approaches figuring out how to spell new words. I like the fact that it is not time consuming (max of 15 minutes) and dd is getting spelling rules that make sense and work for her. Last year we used Sequential Spelling and dd was just not getting it. She was not connecting to the patterns no matter what we did. The other reason I like Spelling Power is that this one book will take me all the way through to high school for her. One less subject I need to worry about each year.

We use and love AAS. I purchased it last year and started using it and didn't love it at first. I switched to another spelling program, but all it had the kids do was memorize lists of words and they didn't retain spelling skills. I switched back to AAS and now I realize how important the way AAS teaches is in helping my kids learn how to spell. What I didn't like at first was I though it was too easy for my kids, but it is more challenging as you go through the levels. We love it now. It doesn't take long to do each day. It gets done without a complaint from the kids.

we use Soaring with Spelling (put out by the same company that makes growing with grammar). We love it. I like it becasue the words are words that are good for the kids to know. They follow phonics rules. the daily activites are fun and engaging. Different enough week to week. The kids are also not only learning words, but they are also learning the meanings to the words. Vocablulary is part of the program.

a couple years ago I thought the kids were getting tired of this spelling program and they caught me looking at other speelling programs on the computer and I thought WW3 was a bout to break out in our home...they were all like "Don't get a new spelling....we love this one"...so there you have it.

We are sticking with SWS.

I just started using level 1 of Sequential Spelling. I saw it had level 1 for free online, which sold me.

I love that my second grader ( possibly dyslexic) has already been picking on the patterns. Also all the phonics we have done has really come together here.

Really? Where is that located? Do you have a link?

I have been using Sequential Spelling since my 4th grader was in 1st grade. I absolutely adore this spelling program. I haven't tried anything else because I never wanted to fix what was not broken. I plan on taking my kids through all 7 levels. My ds loves it and can spell just about anything 95% of the time on the first go.

I get the TM. It's a lot quicker to check his work that way. Also, in grade 4, it starts dictation. I'd the TM absolutely necessary? No, but it's really nice to have, and it's very inexpensive. I would at the very least get it for levels 4+.

Thanks for this! I have enjoyed the first levels of AAS, but was looking at moving more independent eventually. One of my main hang ups with leaving AAS was the dictation. I love the idea of review through dictation.great to know R&S encorporates dictation. Does the dictation incorporate review words from previous lessons?

Thanks for this! I have enjoyed the first levels of AAS, but was looking at moving more independent eventually. One of my main hang ups with leaving AAS was the dictation. I love the idea of review through dictation.great to know R&S encorporates dictation. Does the dictation incorporate review words from previous lessons?

Each lesson in level 4 has 16 new words and 4 review words. The spelling test uses the new words, then has two sentences that use the review words. There are other words in the sentences that aren't from the lesson, but they are ones the child should know by now.

Also, every 6th lesson is a review of the previous 5 lessons. I was surprised this week (6) when I started to test my son, and I realized there were 50 words to test! We're doing that test across 2 days. :lol:

Anyway, the review is not quite like AAS, but it has been effective here. Also, we are doing more writing outside of spelling, which gives even more practice.

How religious are the Rod and Staff spelling books? Glancing through the samples I saw only a few religious references, but I don't know if that is representative of the series in general.

Thanks,

Wendy

It is throughout the entire book in 4th grade. I"ve not used any other grade level, though.

Really? Where is that located? Do you have a link?

I have been using Sequential Spelling since my 4th grader was in 1st grade. I absolutely adore this spelling program. I haven't tried anything else because I never wanted to fix what was not broken. I plan on taking my kids through all 7 levels. My ds loves it and can spell just about anything 95% of the time on the first go.

Sorry, I never saw a notification that someone had quoted me.

Here is the link. Like I said, it is only for level 1 though.

http://www.avko.org/Samples/SSH/301.pdf

Happy to hear you are enjoying it as well.

My DD9 uses R&S spelling. She did AAS 1-3 and then i switched her over. I am finishing up AAS level 1 with my DS7. I will probably switch him to R&S when he finished AAS level 3 as well. I also looked at Megawords but I know my DD9 would enjoy R&S more, and also, it gets done and it's working! We also use dictation for spelling for DD9. I love AAS for beginners and then R&S for 3rd and up along with studied dictation.

Blessings!

How religious are the Rod and Staff spelling books? Glancing through the samples I saw only a few religious references, but I don't know if that is representative of the series in general.

The grade 3 book is occasionally religious. The grade 4 is very religious... There is often a section where you look up something in the Bible, or a story will be a Bible story, etc. The part C is where most of it is in that book. You also have the books of the Bible as spelling words some weeks.