Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week seven

Robin M

I haven't had a chance to post last weeks books.

21) The Light Between the Oceans by ML Stedman. While I enjoyed it overall it still makes me a bit sad because of the infertility issues.

22) Hexed by Kevin Hearne. I am enjoying this series but each book takes me a really long time to get into. The first 40 pages drag then I love them. Been reading Hammered all week and just hit the fun part.

23) The Spy's Secret Family by Cindy Dees

24) Bones are Forever by Kathy Reichs. This is the latest in the Temperance series. The quality still exists after several books.

25) Undead and Unstable by MaryJanice Davidson. Love this series but the last two have been weird. I think they have gone on too long.

26) To Catch a Spinster by Megan Bryce. Fun free kindle read.

27) Wicked Business by Janet Evanovich. I am such a fan of hers but this one didn't interest me. The only reason I finished it was it was the only book I took in the car. Enough said.

28) Never Tell a Lie by Halle Ephrin. Really enjoyed it. Good page turner.

Sorry for the negative reviews. While in the US I catch up on book series and authors which I enjoyed for years. My expectations were high this week unfortunately!

Sometimes that happens. I felt like I had three weeks of really bad books last year and everyone dreaded reading my reviews. Hope you get some good book on the nightstand this week.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished A.S. Byatt's The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye. Ahhhhh. Big happy sigh. What a wonderful & enchanting little book. Simply delightful.

From Library Journal:

The enjoyment of fairy tales comes from new ways of telling old themes. The underlying stories are predictable Ă‚â€˜innocence is tested, a mission accomplished, a lesson learned, and an adult finally born Ă‚â€˜but the characters, adventures, and outcome vary with each telling. However, every once in a while this pattern gets bent or broken, as in Byatt's collection of five previously published stories. Each story is refreshingly different, eloquently detailing the story's setting, and each contains developed characters and dialog that make them truly enjoyable. The last and title story is the length of a small novella and is itself a collection of stories within a story. Readers who can keep up will have a fascinating adventure wandering from story to story as a modern middle-aged woman is granted three wishes by a highly personal and experienced genie. More than a play on words, this piece is a play on storytelling. Byatt has redesigned the fairy tale, breathing new life into old themes, and has done it with talent to spare.

Went to the library today to return school books, and ended up in the adult fiction section. I haven't browsed there in forever. Usually I am there with list in hand for school related items, but today I had time to just look around for a bit. I picked up quite a few books, and I am hoping they will be good. Anyone read any of these?

Doggy Style ~ Jane May

Hooked ~ Jane May

The Buried Pyramid ~ Jane Lindskold

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen ~ Susan Gregg Gilmore

The Cookbook Collector ~ Allegra Goodman

Diary of a Mad Fat Girl ~ Stephanie McAfee

Little Sugar Addicts ~ Kathleen DesMaisons I will probably just skim through this one, and add some of the ideas to what I am already learning with New Atkins and Why We Get Fat.

After looking at some of the reviews on Amazon, it seems I have picked up a bunch of stuff and nonsense. Oh, well. I still have Dragonfly in Amber for a little more meaty fair.

I just finished A.S. Byatt's The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye. Ahhhhh. Big happy sigh. What a wonderful & enchanting little book. Simply delightful.

From Library Journal:

Sounds like a delightful read. I found myself wishing I had known about it before going to the library today. I looked it up in the online catalog, and found it available as an ebook. I've never used the ebook borrowing system, so thanks for introducing me to two new things today! :)

Sounds like a delightful read. I found myself wishing I had known about it before going to the library today. I looked it up in the online catalog, and found it available as an ebook. I've never used the ebook borrowing system, so thanks for introducing me to two new things today! :)

Hope you enjoy it!

I've seen Murder By Death many times. It is hilarious! My favorite mystery spoof has to be the movie version of the board game Clue, starring Tim Curry, Eileen Brennan, Martin Mull, et al. I've seen that movie so many times I can recite it by memory.

You know, I remember when the Clue movie came out. But, I never ended up seeing it. I will definitely have to check it out! (Of course, I always loved Clue the game too!)

Last week, I finished numbers 14 and 15, The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb, by Melanie Benjamin, and Conning Harvard, by Julie Zauzmer and Xi Yu. I enjoyed both books quite a bit. Tom Thumb was lovely and immersive and evocative, and I enjoyed savoring the audio during walks and car rides. I basically inhaled Conning Harvard over the weekend after picking it up at the library on a whim.

I'm now working on numbers 16 and 17, The Art Forger, by B.A. Shapiro (audio), and continuing with Warm Bodies, by Isaac Marion. Both get thumbs up from me. Warm Bodies started, I thought, to drag a bit toward the middle, once the conceit had been established but not much was happening. However, once the scene changed, momentum began building again. And now I'm turning pages eagerly to see what happens next.

My computer was out for days and is still not up to par, so please excuse me for rudely not reading all of this thread as I have to run and pick up a stranded dd. I read the Nicholas Sparks novel At First Sight, and ds and I listened to A Year Down Yonder. Okay, he still has one CD to go, but I was enjoying it so much I listened to the last one doing the dishes, etc after he went to bed. I'll be back to actually paticipate again very soon now that things are up and running (but I still have to reload most of our software, :crying: :crying: :crying:

I've tried this one on audio several times before without getting all that far into it. I loved what I heard, but I just can't seem to do audiobooks very well.

I've had an audio book on my list since close to the first week, and I'm still only on chapter 3! I just can't get myself to listen to books. If I would have just read the book, it would have done in a matter of days. But I feel like I should keep trying....maybe to work on increasing my attention span or something. At 49, I'm not getting any younger. ;-)

I just finished Behind the Scenes at the Museum - wonderful book, last read when in a pregnancy haze with Calvin. I'm still listening to Jack Maggs - won't finish until next week.

So now this year I have:

1: Mr Briggs' Hat

2: Busman's Honeymoon (re-read) - Dorothy Sayers

3: Notwithstanding (re-read for book group) - Louis de Bernieres

4: Bad Pharma - Ben Goldacre

5: The Pages - Murray Bail

6: Great Tales From English History.

7: Unnatural Causes - PD James (re-read)

8: Behind the Scenes at the Museum - Kate Atkinson (re-read)

Laura

I've had an audio book on my list since close to the first week, and I'm still only on chapter 3! I just can't get myself to listen to books. If I would have just read the book, it would have done in a matter of days. But I feel like I should keep trying....maybe to work on increasing my attention span or something. At 49, I'm not getting any younger. ;-)

I always wonder when adults get to listen to audiobooks because I rarely have time during the day. I usually listen in the car when I'm by myself - a rare occurence so it takes me awhile to get through a book. DD and my grandmother used to listen when they were in bed but I don't think DH would appreciate that. :) "Shh. Don't bother me, I'm listening to Agatha Christie."

We have had a bit of success with doing a family audiobook. We all pick something to do (I crochet or scrapbook, DD draws or paints or plays with legos, DH will do a small project) and listen at night. It's cozy. That's how we're listening to The Hobbit right now.

I always wonder when adults get to listen to audiobooks because I rarely have time during the day. I usually listen in the car when I'm by myself - a rare occurence so it takes me awhile to get through a book.

I commute half an hour each way to my job, so that's an hour of 'reading' time per day. I usually listen to the news for five minutes at the beginning of the drive, then it's back to Jack Maggs. I didn't listen to books when I was home educating.

Laura

I always wonder when adults get to listen to audiobooks because I rarely have time during the day. I usually listen in the car when I'm by myself - a rare occurence so it takes me awhile to get through a book.

I just started listening to audiobooks. I listen while exercising mostly. It makes time on the elliptical more bearable. It does take me forever to get through a book that way.

I have finished another book this week: 8} Les Miserables by Victor Hugo It was my first time reading this book. I liked it a lot. 7}The Year of Learning Dangerously by Quinn Cummings 6} Emma by Jane Austen 5} A Walk in the Woods by Bill I Bryson 4} Hannah's Joy by Marta Perry 3} A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck. 2} Secrets at Sea by Richard Peck 1} His Love Endures Forever by Beth Wiseman

I always wonder when adults get to listen to audiobooks because I rarely have time during the day. I usually listen in the car when I'm by myself - a rare occurence so it takes me awhile to get through a book. DD and my grandmother used to listen when they were in bed but I don't think DH would appreciate that. :) "Shh. Don't bother me, I'm listening to Agatha Christie."

We have had a bit of success with doing a family audiobook. We all pick something to do (I crochet or scrapbook, DD draws or paints or plays with legos, DH will do a small project) and listen at night. It's cozy. That's how we're listening to The Hobbit right now.

I listen while running. I hate running but with an audiobook I almost look forward to it. So, I only get through a couple of hours a week. I've been working on David Copperfield for two months. But I don't mind it talking awhile.

So I'm slowly getting through The Dawkins Delusion? but think that once I'm done I'll read some of the other rebuttals to The God Delusion as while this book is more logical and better done that Dawkins (who lost all credibility with me years ago when I was in university studying biology (minor) with his illogical The Selfis Gene book. My favourite university term paper ever was the one I wrote for a methodology class tearing that theory apart, although I had to use a different book that tied it into sociobiology as his book was checked out and there was no internet back in the dark ages when I went to school; I got an A on it and that was no easy A. I'm also reading a Pierre Berton book, but I doubt it is his best work as it's an account of a journey he took with is family (wife & 6 kids) to redo a voyage his dad had done during the Klondike Gold Rush. It's short as is The Dawkins Delusion, so I'll finish it and think about doing one of those history books Eliana keeps raving over, although perhaps not The Great Depression if he brought in his politics.

At 49, I'm not getting any younger. ;-)

You can borrow my silly rhymes if you like

49 is fine

50 is nifty

51 is more fun

After that I haven't thought of any good ones yet. I have one for 55, but that's still off in the future somewhere.

2 - A Stranger in a Strange Land Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Robert Heinlein

Did you like this? I read a lot of Heinlein from age 10 through at least half of high school or so, but I don't think I ever read that trilogy even though my parents, who are not scifi readers, had it.

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - My first zombie book and probably my last.

Did you pick up on the Romeo and Juliet theme? (she's Julie, his name starts with R & his best friend's with M, the balcony scene, etc?) I read about that in a review somewhere by someone who liked it. I haven't read it, but suffered through the movie chaperoning my daughter on her fist date (I sat in the back, not with them, but she's too young for dating in our opinion, and any boy that's willing to date her with me tagging along has some good qualities; his parents seem to have some very good standards as well and even after I called to introduce myself to the dad, the mother came to meet me before the movie & we each drove our kids home. I like that.)

I'm going to invest in a small book light that I can make discrete with jackets & read if I have to suffer through more of that. I'll get there early enough to sit in the very back. There were only 3 movies that weren't rated R, and one of the others was a horror movie, which is not our thing.

Oliver Twist is so depressing. Not sure how much longer I'm going to last listening to the audio book. Somebody give me permission to quit. Please!

Well, I'll give you conditional permission that if you do, you skip the middle and read the ending, because it is just wonderful:).

I fell behind. Oh well. The two books I began in week 3 & 4 are still not finished, Pianism and The Musician's Way, I realised too late that they are not the 'read in a week' kind of books. They are the kind of book where you read a paragraph, think on it, put it into practice, re-read paragraph - repeat. I also couldn't decide on what to read next so I got sucked into reading too many samples on my kindle!

Are these any good?

I finished Falling Home by Karen White last night. Just picked up Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien.

Enjoyed Falling Home, but it was predictable. I didn't really mind that part, but I sobbed last night while I was finishing it up. Predictable or not, it got me.

Did you pick up on the Romeo and Juliet theme? (she's Julie, his name starts with R & his best friend's with M, the balcony scene, etc?) I read about that in a review somewhere by someone who liked it. I haven't read it, but suffered through the movie chaperoning my daughter on her fist date (I sat in the back, not with them, but she's too young for dating in our opinion, and any boy that's willing to date her with me tagging along has some good qualities; his parents seem to have some very good standards as well and even after I called to introduce myself to the dad, the mother came to meet me before the movie & we each drove our kids home. I like that.)

Nope, went right over my head! In fact, I remember rolling my eyes at the balcony scene and connecting it to West Side Story - how did I not make the leap to Romeo and Juliet? But now that you mention it, pretty clever!

Good for you on the chaperoning! Hope that goes well for you and for your daughter.

While exercising, cleaning, or when the kids are sleeping or otherwise engaged. Mine go to bed early and I stay up way too late. :)

While exercising, cleaning, or when the kids are sleeping or otherwise engaged. Mine go to bed early and I stay up way too late. :)

I listening while cleaning and cooking. I was amazed at how much time I spend doing those two activities once they were "timed" by a book. :glare: .

Nope, went right over my head! In fact, I remember rolling my eyes at the balcony scene and connecting it to West Side Story - how did I not make the leap to Romeo and Juliet? But now that you mention it, pretty clever!

Good for you on the chaperoning! Hope that goes well for you and for your daughter.

I didn't get the Romeo & Juliette theme, either, but learned it from the review & it all made sense. The movie ends differently than the book, apparently. the movie had a happy ending, but I don't know about the book.

Finished Buddy How a Rooster Made Me a Family Man by Brian McGrory and The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. (26) This one was funny. From the back of the book: A reluctant cenenarian with a life much like Forrest Gump's (if Gump were an explosives expert with a fondness for vodka) decides it's not too late to start over...

Still reading The 8 minute organizer.

Paula

You can borrow my silly rhymes if you like

49 is fine

50 is nifty

51 is more fun

After that I haven't thought of any good ones yet. I have one for 55, but that's still off in the future somewhere.

Love them!! :lol:

All the ones I can think of for 52 are rather negative...particularly "moo". ;-)

I'm going to invest in a small book light that I can make discrete with jackets & read if I have to suffer through more of that. I'll get there early enough to sit in the very back.

On behalf of avid movie-goers (myself included) I BEG you not to do this. My preferred seat is the back row. However, w/ texting/phones being so popular now, any light (even small ones or people being quick) shows up a lot in dark theaters & is very, very distracting. I hate, hate, hate when people flip open their phones or turn them on, even briefly, during a movie because it's incredibly distracting. Even w/ coats around it, it will still be visible to those around you, their peripheral vision, etc.... Could you wait in the lobby instead?

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. (26) This one was funny. From the back of the book: A reluctant cenenarian with a life much like Forrest Gump's (if Gump were an explosives expert with a fondness for vodka) decides it's not too late to start over...

Glad to hear this is a good one. I've had it on hold awhile at the library (but suspended the hold because I have so many books right now) -- should get it at the end of the month. Looking forward to reading it!

Happy Valentine's Day! Audible.com has Pride and Prejudice for free today along with 5 other books.

Just too cute not to share.

Thanks, Robin! I got Pride & Prejudice and Romeo & Juliet :)

Last night I finished book #8, Code of Silence by Sally S Wright. It wasn't my favorite of the Ben Reese books, but it was the last published one, so I had to read it. It was still good, just not as good IYKWIM. I've now finished all six and started a birthday book - The Fruitful Wife by Hayley DiMarco. I've only read the intro, but so far like it.

Book Reviews

1. The White Horse King: The Life of Alfred the Great by Benjamin Merkle

2. Publish and Perish by Sally S Wright

3. Pride and Predator by Sally S Wright

4. Pursuit and Persuasion by Sally S Wright

5. Out of the Ruins by Sally S Wright

6. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupĂƒÂ©ry

7. Watches of the Night by Sally S Wright

8. Code of Silence by Sally S Wright

Love them!! :lol:

All the ones I can think of for 52 are rather negative...particularly "moo". ;-)

These don't all use IS (as the ones already given do), but here goes a few:

52 is right on cue

52 - who knew?

52 is never in a stew

52 is going through

52 is always true

52 - whew!

52 is brand new

52 is another break through

52 is a new debut

52 is tried and true

:leaving: :auto:

I read The Girls from Ames. It reminded me very much of The Necklace. I enjoyed both-- Good, light reading on friendship and sistahhood. kinda living vicariously through the reading of both- missing my girl friens and sisters.

We also live kind sorta close to Ames and I was wondering if it would give me any insight into the culture. It did reiterate to me that our lives need majorly tweaked.

These don't all use IS (as the ones already given do), but here goes a few:

52 is right on cue

52 - who knew?

52 is never in a stew

52 is going through

52 is always true

52 - whew!

52 is brand new

52 is another break through

52 is a new debut

52 is tried and true

:leaving: :auto:

Wow!! I wish my mind worked like yours. I particularly love "52 is a new debut"! I'll be turning 50 this year, but I'm keeping that one in reserve for 2 years from now. :)

It's been a while since my last update so below is the list since then. Needless to say I got caught up in the world of Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews. I love this series, there's nothing like a kick butt female character and a paranormal world of shape shifters, vampires, witches, etc. to keep my interest. I also threw in some favorites, the continuation of the Whiskey Creek Series, another installment in JD Robb's "In Death" series, and a new series for me in Clayton Falls, easy romance centered around a small town and it's inhabitants. I've been pretty busy but will try to do better to keep up.

Week 5

26. Derailed (Clayton Falls) by Alyssa Rose Ivy.

27. When Summer Comes (Whiskey Creek) by Brenda Novak.

28. When Magic Bites (Kate Daniels Book 1) by Ilona Andrews.

29. Magic Burns (Kate Daniels Book 2) by Ilona Andrews.

Week 6

30. Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels Book 3) by Ilona Andrews.

31. Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels Book 4) by Ilona Andrews.

32. Magic Slays (Kate Daniels Book 5) by Ilona Andrews.

33. Magic Dreams (eSpecial) by Ilona Andrews.

34. Gunmetal Magic. by Ilona Andrews.

35. Curran Part 1 (novella) by Gordon Andrews and Ilona Andrews.

36. Fathers and Sons (Curran POV) by Gordon Andrews and Ilona Andrews.

Week 7

37. Delusion in Death by J D Robb.

38. Veer (Clayton Falls) by Alyssa Rose Ivy.

39. Coming Home by Leslie Kelly.

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. (26) This one was funny. From the back of the book: A reluctant cenenarian with a life much like Forrest Gump's (if Gump were an explosives expert with a fondness for vodka) decides it's not too late to start over...

Paula

My sister just recommended this to me yesterday, and it was the first time I'd heard of it. It's on my list to order from the libary.

On behalf of avid movie-goers (myself included) I BEG you not to do this. My preferred seat is the back row. However, w/ texting/phones being so popular now, any light (even small ones or people being quick) shows up a lot in dark theaters & is very, very distracting. I hate, hate, hate when people flip open their phones or turn them on, even briefly, during a movie because it's incredibly distracting. Even w/ coats around it, it will still be visible to those around you, their peripheral vision, etc.... Could you wait in the lobby instead?

I can't wait in the lobby because that defeats half the point. Also, it would be a movie with all teens where some of them are texting, etc, anyway (not your regular audience!!! I'd NEVER do this in any other movie!!!) I did say I'd hide it with my jacket so only I could read it, plus I've since learned that with an iPad I can read on a with white writing---if I actually do it. The other way is to stand outside the actual theatre door (with a ticket) and peak in periodically. There are too many places to sneak off to if I wait in the library. At any rate, they probably won't go to too many movies on their 14 year olds' budgets. Tomorrow their date is for him to buy her something for Valentine's Day, and I can sit & read outside the stores as there is only one way out of them.

Completed:

Book #25 - "A Red Herring Without Mustard" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.) Another great "Flavia" story.

Book #24 - "The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing" by Tarquin Hall. (British author, Indian setting.) It was ok. It's a cozy, which I prefer, but it wasn't as compelling as the Alan Bradley's and Alexander McCall Smith's I've been reading.

Book #23 - "The Lost Art of Gratitude" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #22 - "The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #21 - "Academic Homeschooling: How to Give Your Child an Amazing Education and Survive" by Tracy Chatters.

Book #20 - "The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #19 - "The Return of the Native" by Thomas Hardy. (WEM.)

Book #18 - "The Careful Use of Compliments" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #17 - "The Right Attitude to Rain" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #16 - "Inspector Singh Investigates: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder" by Shamini Flint. (Singaporean author, Malaysian setting.)

Book #15 - "Friends, Lovers, Chocolate" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #14 - "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #13 - "Portuguese Irregular Verbs" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/]Scottish author, German character, German/Swiss/Italian/Ireland/Indian settings.)

Book #12 - "In Cold Pursuit" by Sarah Andrews. (Antarctica setting.)

Book #11 - "Anna Karenina" by Leo Nikoleyevich Tolstoy. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #10 - "The Sunday Philosophy Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #9 - "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #8 - "The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #7 - "The Double Comfort Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #6 - " Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #5 - "Crime and Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith. (]Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - My first zombie book and probably my last.

I'm a big fan of the zombie genre, and found this book to be absolutely dreadful. Kind of like Twilight for the walking dead (though to be fair I've only read excerpts of Twilight before deciding it was most definitely not for me). If you have any interest in zombies, I wouldn't let this one put you off entirely. I'd suggest World War Z - pay no attention to the movie trailers going around, as they bear little resemblance to the book. Mira Grant's Feed is also very good.

Finished my third book this week!! 9} In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. I liked it. It was written about the American Ambassador to Germany during Hitler's rise to Leadership. It was full of facts. I have been interested in this time period and the effects of fascism since I was in high school. This was enlightening about the lives of ambassodors and the lifestyle they live and how they have to tread so carefully in diplomacy of the US and the countries they live in. I met a lady at the Dr.s office who was just as eager to discuss the book. 8} Les Miserables by Victor Hugo 7}The Year of Learning Dangerously by Quinn Cummings 6} Emma by Jane Austen 5} A Walk in the Woods by Bill I Bryson 4} Hannah's Joy by Marta Perry 3} A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck. 2} Secrets at Sea by Richard Peck 1} His Love Endures Forever by Beth Wiseman

I finally finished Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. I was listening to this one on audible because I've heard the audio books are done really well. They really are, I loved it....but I just prefer reading. It seemed to take me forever to get through it. I can't just sit and listen to an audio book, I have to be doing something with my hands. This works great for cleaning and such, but I have a serious shoulder injury at the moment and I'm actually not able to do a whole lot of that. The baby grabs at the headphone cord if I try to listen while nursing. So I've only been getting in about an hour at night after the girls go to bed and then my hands need something to do so I play mindless games on the computer. I loved the lady that narrated and they truly were well done, but I am so glad to be through that book so I can read the next one on paper. Or on my nook. I haven't decided yet. I prefer paper but these are thick books so I may do ebook. I have books 5-7 on my nook already, but I checked 1-4 out of the library last time. Decisions, decisions lol.

I had planned on pacing myself with these books to finish up just in time for the release of 8, but I think I'm just going to go straight through them. I don't always get a lot of read time and I suspect I'll be getting even less over the coming months. I'd rather finish them early and then move on to other books than find myself on book 6 when 8 comes out. So it's an Oulander marathon for me :D Once upon a time I read 100+ books a year and I'm sure I will again some day when the littles aren't so little any more.

This week I finished #7: The Perks of Being A Wallflower. I loved this book and couldn't put it down! Now I need to see the movie.

So far this year:

1. Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey

2. The Great Gatsby

3. The Night Circus

4. A Study in Scarlet

5. The Red Pyramid

6. The Throne of Fire

7. The Perks of Being A Wallflower

Reading this week:

1. A Storm of Swords

2. History of the Ancient World

3. Sense and Sensibility

4. The Serpent's Shadow

5. Outlander (audiobook)

I finished Our Lady of Alice Bhatti by Mohammed Hanif. I was completely sucked into this story set in Pakistan. It's a gripping, gritty, immediate, darkly funny, & disturbing tale of life in modern-day Karachi. Hanif tackles some big issues (horrific treatment of women, role of men, violence, castes, religion, medical care or lack thereof,...) & presents them in a very real, touching, sometimes funny, sometimes ironic, sometimes horrifying, & eye-opening manner. Sadly, I think Hanif has probably painted a fairly realistic portrait of daily life for many in similar situations to the main characters. Definitely worth reading if just to open your eyes to lives that may be quite different from what you know.

(This will count toward my Continental reading challenge for Asia.)

I've seen Murder By Death many times. It is hilarious! My favorite mystery spoof has to be the movie version of the board game Clue, starring Tim Curry, Eileen Brennan, Martin Mull, et al. I've seen that movie so many times I can recite it by memory.

Fun movie; dh and I enjoyed this one.

Started Reading:

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Canadian author, DD class 800)

I am reading this right now, as well. It is taking me a long time to read it, although I don't know why, as I enjoy it every time I pick it up.

So far, in 2013 I have read:

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (enjoyed, will read more in the series)

The Philanthropist's Danse by Paul Wornham (a free Kindle book, surprisingly interesting)

A Daughter's Redemption by our very own Georgiana Daniels! (Enjoyed this very much, Georgiana!)

The Core by Leigh A. Bortins (WTM is SOOO much better. :D )

Not going to beat myself up over what I read (or don't read!) this year. Just going to try and be steady in my reading. :)