Menu

"Womb Tombs" - The Most Ridiculous Thing I've Heard All Month

JumpyTheFrog

Both The Wartburg Watch and the Huffington Post are reporting on Kevin Swanson's latest over-the-top statements...ones that we in the real world would call lies (or at best, extreme ignorance).

I'm beginning to get some evidence from certain doctors and certain scientists that have done research on women’s wombs after they’ve gone through the surgery, and they’ve compared the wombs of women who were on the birth control pill to those who were not on the birth control pill. And they have found that with women who are on the birth control pill, there are these little tiny fetuses, these little babies, that are embedded into the womb. They’re just like dead babies. They’re on the inside of the womb. And these wombs of women who have been on the birth control pill effectively have become graveyards for lots and lots of little babies.

Notice how vague he is:

"certain doctors" - not named

"certain scientists" - not named, speciality isn't mentioned either

"the surgery" - what surgery?

Which birth control pill? There are many formulations with different hormones and dosages, not to mention patches, rings, shots, IUDS.

How do these women not die of infection? How do these so-called "dead babies" not get flushed out with menstruation? The whole idea is insane.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard that before, but I do know that the low hormone birth control pills allow for breakthrough ovulation more than the higher dose ones therefore allowing conception and maybe even implantation, but the uterine lining is made hostile to the embryo causing a very early abortion. This is a known action of the pill. I don't agree with what he says here. I think it's going way too far to prove a point that it is a life, which I do agree - but not as he says it. It's physically impossible for that to happen. The very next menses would have cleared the lining and with it the fetus.

People like this make pro-life people like me look like idiots. :( He does not speak for me.

Oh, good grief. *snort* I've been on birth control for years, since I was fifteen. It's funny that when they did an ultrasound a few months back to check my abdomen when I had an ovarian cyst rupture that they didn't pick up on that. Or when I had an emergency c-section with dd and the OB was actually staring into my uterus. Really, you'd think someone would have noticed.

That's... disturbing. And ridiculous. I'm with Susan here... it's going much too far to prove a point. Look, I know there are varying opinions on hormonal birth control. But when you're making "scientific" claims that you simply can't back up, you lose all credibility. Not that it sounds like this guy had much to begin with. :glare:

He manages to evoke a truly grisly image, albeit absolutely ridiculous. I've been on BCP for 19 years, minus pregnancies, three months before one pregnancy, and one month before the other. I've had multiple ultrasounds, both during pregnancy and to check on cysts. No fetus graveyard in there.

I think it's going way too far to prove a point that it is a life, which I do agree - but not as he says it. It's physically impossible for that to happen. The very next menses would have cleared the lining and with it the fetus.

I really, really doubt that his point is that an embyro is a life. I think he is one of those people with an extreme agenda that will latch on to anything that supports his view.

The Huffington Post article mentioned his fear-mongering that if Colorado allows civil unions or gay marriage, within ten years CPS will be taking away kids from homeschooling families and forcing them to live with gay couples that are members of NAMBLA.

I really, really doubt that his point is that an embyro is a life. I think he is one of those people with an extreme agenda that will latch on to anything that supports his view.

The Huffington Post article mentioned his fear-mongering that if Colorado allows civil unions or gay marriage, within ten years CPS will be taking away kids from homeschooling families and forcing them to live with gay couples that are members of NAMBLA.

Is this the same guy? Figures. Nothing like making up absolute nonsense when the facts don't line up with your fear-mongering.

Thanks for the laugh. What a joke of a man.

I wish I could laugh at it. Unfortunately, he's one of many men in the homeschooling movement that wants to turn America into a theocracy (run by them, of course). Funny, I missed the part where Jesus said to use the sword to force your neighbors to obey your interpretation of the Bible!

I try really hard to not judge a movement by the fringe crazies...and that he is. This man actually makes me angry and he's shooting the rational people in the foot who do believe that life is life from conception. :cursing: :cursing:

Yeah, after reading the HufPo article, I'm even less impressed. His ideas are out there, to say the least. It floors me that he's a "beacon" of the homeschooling community.... this guy, and others like him, are why so many people think Christians and homeschoolers are whackadoodles. It's sad, because I don't know anyone IRL who ascribes to these beliefs.

I try really hard to not judge a movement by the fringe crazies...and that he is. This man actually makes me angry and he's shooting the rational people in the foot who do believe that life is life from conception. :cursing: :cursing:

This. I'm constantly fighting my more liberal friends to understand that these people are not our spokesperson, just another person.

Interesting aside, I haven't found as much coverage given to the fringe crazies on the pro-choice side. They definitely exist, but are not usually the first Google search result like the pro-life ones tend to be, KWIM?

Yeah, after reading the HufPo article, I'm even less impressed. His ideas are out there, to say the least. It floors me that he's a "beacon" of the homeschooling community.... this guy, and others like him, are why so many people think Christians and homeschoolers are whackadoodles. It's sad, because I don't know anyone IRL who ascribes to these beliefs.

EXACTLY!!!!

If this is true, I'm sure there is tons of scientific evidence to back it up. . . . . ?

I too am very pro-life but I've pretty much given up trying to have a conversation about it. People always bring up the crazy extremes from both sides. I just put up my "bullsh!t deflector."

Guest inoubliable

:laugh: Watching Phineas and Ferb right now!

Hahaha. I didn't know that was said on that show! I had to ask my DS12 "what's "great googly moogly" got to do with Phineas and Ferb?". I've never seen the show, but I grew up with my Da saying that phrase all the time! And now DS12 is saying "wow, mom. Way to pay attention to what we watch on TV...".

It's sad, because I don't know anyone IRL who ascribes to these beliefs.

Consider yourself lucky! I don't know anyone who is quite as extreme, but I know quite a few that are 80-90% of the way there (at my former church) and several of those families are on the board of our state homeschooling group and help pick the speakers for our conventions.

What can we homeschoolers, Christian or not, collectively do to let these extremists know that they don't speak for us?

Consider yourself lucky! I don't know anyone who is quite as extreme, but I know quite a few that are 80-90% of the way there (at my former church) and several of those families are on the board of our state homeschooling group and help pick the speakers for our conventions.

What can we homeschoolers, Christian or not, collectively do to let these extremists know that they don't speak for us?

We don't support them financially and we do not frequent their talks or vote them into any position of authority.

We don't support them financially and we do not frequent their talks or vote them into any position of authority.

I agree with these. However, most of these loons aren't voted on by we regular people, from what I can tell. They appoint themselves our spokesmen.

(The more of this craziness I read about, the more I understand how moderate Muslims might feel about the extremists that try to say they practice "true Islam.")

ThatMom reported in March 2011 about the secret meetings various self-appointed homeschool "leaders" had in Illinois about a proposed homeschooling regulation there. In the comments she stated:

"HSLDA was also one of the sponsors, along with Kevin Swanson, of the 2009 Leadership Summit in Indianapolis where they established an agenda for the future for homeschoolers. Only dads and sons could attend; they purposefully excluded homeschooling moms who do the bulk of the education of their children."

That's the same Kevin Swanson who is ranting about "womb tombs" and "CPS is going to take our kids away and make them live with gay pedophiles."

Here's a post on the 2009 Leadership Summit. Key goals were:

• abolish the public school system
  • abolish all private schools (including religious schools)
  • abolish CPS
  • discourage women from reading or running blogs (because it's all "gossip")
  • forbid daughters from receiving any vocational training and keeping them at home until marriage

ThatMom's blog also has some podcasts about the "leadership" summit.

Hahaha. I didn't know that was said on that show! I had to ask my DS12 "what's "great googly moogly" got to do with Phineas and Ferb?". I've never seen the show, but I grew up with my Da saying that phrase all the time! And now DS12 is saying "wow, mom. Way to pay attention to what we watch on TV...".

It's an exclamation that Major Monogram says, usually about once an episode. All I could see in my head was your avatar and the cartoon's deep voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qqH40jUE3Y

ThatMom reported in March 2011 about the secret meetings various self-appointed homeschool "leaders" had in Illinois about a proposed homeschooling regulation there. In the comments she stated:

That's the same Kevin Swanson who is ranting about "womb tombs" and "CPS is going to take our kids away and make them live with gay pedophiles."

• abolish CPS
  • forbid daughters from receiving any vocational training and keeping them at home until marriage

ThatMom's blog also has some podcasts about the "leadership" summit.

Oh, my. This guy makes Westboro Baptist look liberal. I had never heard of him before, but there are lots of links out there:

http://www.huffingto..._n_2625101.html

Guest inoubliable

It's an exclamation that Major Monogram says, usually about once an episode. All I could see in my head was your avatar and the cartoon's deep voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qqH40jUE3Y

Bwahahaha! That sounded just like my Da!

My parents will be here tomorrow for the weekend. I'm going to have the hardest time not bursting into giggles around my Da now. I'll see *that* cartoon character every time he talks now!

This brings up something for me. I have always admired and supported what the HSDL has done for home schooling. Are they part of this agenda or unknowingly supported this whacko agenda?

• abolish CPS

"Beacon"?

I have never heard of this guy.

Probably he hasn't heard of me either, so we're most likely even. But he isn't beaconing very brightly into the sane part of the movement.

Maybe I need to get out more.

SWB

I don't think you claim someone is a fringe loony when they are invited to speak at conferences and to speak FOR homeschoolers on policy issues. I don't see Westboro being invited to homeschool conferences. Swanson is a regular on the circuit.

But, as we saw from the Great Kerfuffle, many people that the outside think of as "fringe" are beloved martyrdom mascots in many circles. That is why so many of us long for a secular or at least education-based conference. But, NOoooooooo, the Great Kerfuffle only succeeded in conferences trying to out-fringe each other. Sigh.

"Beacon"?

Probably he hasn't heard of me either, so we're most likely even. But he isn't beaconing very brightly into the sane part of the movement.

SWB

The sane part of the movement is rapidly losing ground. :(

The sane part of the movement is rapidly losing ground. :(

I hear you, but let me suggest that this depends on where the "ground" is.

The home school "movement" has always been incredibly difficult to outline and define. The sane part of the movement hasn't been invited to CHEC for at least nine years. (Hmm, now that I consider it, probably Kevin Swanson *does* know who I am.) But meanwhile, more and more home educators are coming into the "movement" from outside the hyper-conservative, Kerfluffle-prone convention circuit. They don't know that the circuit exists, to be frank. They are teachers, writers, publishing people, artists, performers, professional people of all kinds, whose circle of connection continues to be with other teachers, writers, publishing people, artists, performers, etc. Home education is part of their lives, not the organizing center of their mission to the world. That makes them hard to find, and hard to quantify.

SWB

Are they [HSLDA] part of this agenda or unknowingly supported this whacko agenda?

I don't see how they could be completely ignorant of it. They'd have to bury their heads in the sand to not know about the agendas of people like Kevin Swanson, Doug Phillips, etc. These people have "infiltrated" and taken over the state support groups, homeschooling conferences, and other Christian conferences.

His assertions are not even medically possible. At all. Really, it's :smilielol5: And Kevin Swanson is (or used to be) the head of CHEC in Colorado. The man has single-handedly turned what used to be a fabulous yearly homeschool convention into a travesty. Last year they would not allow Sonlight to exhibit there because they weren't "Christian" enough. Sonlight. Seriously. :huh:

"Beacon"?

SWB

Thank you for weighing in on this. If you, who are very involved in the home education movement have not heard of him, there's hope he's not as big as HuffPo want us to believe...

I hear you, but let me suggest that this depends on where the "ground" is.

The home school "movement" has always been incredibly difficult to outline and define. The sane part of the movement hasn't been invited to CHEC for at least nine years. (Hmm, now that I consider it, probably Kevin Swanson *does* know who I am.) But meanwhile, more and more home educators are coming into the "movement" from outside the hyper-conservative, Kerfluffle-prone convention circuit. They don't know that the circuit exists, to be frank. They are teachers, writers, publishing people, artists, performers, professional people of all kinds, whose circle of connection continues to be with other teachers, writers, publishing people, artists, performers, etc. Home education is part of their lives, not the organizing center of their mission to the world. That makes them hard to find, and hard to quantify.

SWB

Agreed. It is just that another impending move has me worried about finding appropriate support networks. It is rough out there when you are constantly testing new waters.

Well, I don't know.

You guys are here. And this is still one of the busiest home school forums around.

That is meaningful.

SWB

And this board is how I found my best friend and my eldest dd's best friend when we moved back here. I cannot express how much I appreciate this haven of sanity.

Thank you for weighing in on this. If you, who are very involved in the home education movement have not heard of him, there's hope he's not as big as HuffPo want us to believe...

He's not. :)

HuffPo is smart about their marketing, tho. And the stories that will get reposted by the horrified. Got to admire that, in its own way.

SWB

He's not. :)

HuffPo is smart about their marketing, tho. And the stories that will get reposted by the horrified. Got to admire that, in its own way.

SWB

That's why I actually don't count them in my "trusted news source" hand bag. A lot of things to read, not all "news" or "newsworthy".

I am one that is very disheartened that news is not news anymore, but opinion and agenda. :(