Menu

Is it possible to make good bread without a breadmaker?

I desire to make specialty breads at home, I don't really care about milling grain or anything like that. I just want to be able to make french bread loaves, croissants and sub rolls. I prefer store bought sliced bread but I'm such a novice that feels intimidated that I don't know what I need to do beyond this point of 'wanting to'.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to spend a block of time weekly or even bi-monthly making bread for the week and be done with it.

Should I be looking at getting a breadmaker?

Thanks for any input and experiences!

Jessica,

The secret to tender, light bread is not in the breadmaker. It really is in the ingredients and the kneading. The usefulness of a breadmaker is extremely limited. A high quality kneader can help you make just about anything. I would see what you can find in your price range in a kneader and than ask people here about its quality.

Hi Jessica,

Drew put a plug in for this book, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

Here is the link:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35174&highlight=artisan+bread+minutes+day

It may be what you are looking for.

If you decide to purchase the book, Amazon is running a free promotional trial and $10 credit for their Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/subs/primeclub/signup/main.html?primeCampaignId=TenOff

Just an FYI: Since I had already used Prime at one time, I had to sign out, and then I signed back in using my alternate email address (same CC and same address) to get the $10 credit. Also, I changed my acct setting so the Prime would not automatically renew at the end of the promotion. :)

Just use a good mixer to knead the dough, if you do not want to do it by hand. A breadmaker is not needed, unless you are not home enough to be tending dough every hour or so (kneading/first rise/loaf shaping and second rise/baking - I usually count on a four-hour at-home tome slot for bread baking.)

I second that. I rarely use my breadmaker - only when we've run out of bread, and need some for the morning. I'm always irrationally afraid it will catch fire, anyway.

I use my KitchenAid and mix up four loaves of regular sandwich bread (half whole wheat flour, half white - one day I'll get a Bosch and do all whole wheat, but I'm afraid of burning out the motor on the KA) a couple times a week. For artisan bread, the dough hook works great as well. It's so easy, with the dough hook! I can mix up my regular bread, some pizza dough, and whatever else, in no time. I do as much as I can on one day.

My breadmaker bread is really pretty hit or miss, while the bread I make with the KA rarely, if ever, fails.

It's similar to the one posted here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-MIRRO-Dough-Mixer-Bread-Baking-Kit_W0QQitemZ270259089315QQihZ017QQcategoryZ20642QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"Back to Basics" is the brand name of mine, but they work on the same principle. I bought mine on e-bay several years ago after reading about them in "The Tightwad Gazette." My dc help make bread by taking turns with the turn handle.

Good luck in your baking!

Most people would ask if it's possible to make good bread with a bread machine... (lately I use a bread machine 'cause I'm lazy, and it's not horrible). However, when I've got the gumption to make "real" bread, this is the book... I've loved it for years: The Tassajara Bread Book.

Hi Jessica,

Here is the link:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35174&highlight=artisan+bread+minutes+day

If you decide to purchase the book, Amazon is running a free promotional trial and $10 credit for their Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/subs/primeclub/signup/main.html?primeCampaignId=TenOff

Just an FYI: Since I had already used Prime at one time, I had to sign out, and then I signed back in using my alternate email address (same CC and same address) to get the $10 credit. Also, I changed my acct setting so the Prime would not automatically renew at the end of the promotion. :)

I just bought this book. I hope to be baking by the end of the week. It looks great--the idea is to mix up the dough--no kneading--and store it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. When you want bread, just pull out how much dough you want, shape it, let it rest for about 20 min., then bake.

Finally it appears there is a bread recipe I have time for. I'll let you know how it turns out. I am hopeful.

I like the website for King Arthur's flour. Their Baker's Banter blog is one I check regularly and has great recipes, lots of pictures for us visual learners, and makes baking of all sorts very doable.

Check these posts -

Have fun with it! My dd loves kneading bread dough - I'll bet Camille will too.

I desire to make specialty breads at home, I don't really care about milling grain or anything like that. I just want to be able to make french bread loaves, croissants and sub rolls. I prefer store bought sliced bread but I'm such a novice that feels intimidated that I don't know what I need to do beyond this point of 'wanting to'.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to spend a block of time weekly or even bi-monthly making bread for the week and be done with it.

FWIW, I got rid of my breadmaker a long time ago because bread made by hand is so much better.

Hi Jessica,

Here is the link:

I bought this book and I love it! There are recipes for great artisan breads. No kneading involved. We are really enjoying the different recipes.

I have never used a breadmaker...I prefer the act of kneading the dough and the process. I found a book at our library which I take out a couple of times a year. It is called The Bread Book, by Linda Collister. I have learned so much from this book! I need to just buy it!! Good luck.

For a really easy way to make bread (no mixer needed) ck out these links:

No Knead Bread

or

No Knead Bread #2

There are several versions available online. They are simple & very easy. Since we found this recipe I hardly do it any other way! I've kinda combined the "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes" bk method with this No Knead method. Makes great bread every time!

good luck!

Not that I'm very good at bread baking, but the most important thing I found was actually an attitude re-adjustment. Bread does not need to be square, and does not have to be eaten in slices. Pretty radical, huh? The only bread recipe I have had success with so far (not that I've had much practice at anything) I cook in a round lump. Everyone cuts it like a cake and wanders around happily with a wedge of bread in one hand and a lump of cheese in the other.

:)

Rosie

I don't think breadmakers and dough hooks are necessary. You can get some good arm workouts doing it by hand. You can start with a very basic bread recipe to learn the breadmaking process. You can also use it to shape it however you want. You can also flavour it how you want, with spices and herbs, or sugar and cinnamon. Bread is very versatile. All you need is a big bowl and something to mix the flour and liquid together until it gets stiff enough to dump out of the bowl and you can start kneading it by hand. It's intimidating at first, but once you learn how, it's easy. I make at least 4 loaves a week, all at the same time. My timesaving secret is that I only let the dough rise once. It still comes out fine. hth!

I love baking breads- I have posted my

dinner roll recipe

http://www.luxetveritasacademy.org/Site_7/Recipe_Blog/Entries/2008/2/5_Lion_House_Dinner_Rolls.html

Cinnamon Rolls

http://www.luxetveritasacademy.org/Site_7/Recipe_Blog/Entries/2008/1/14_Cinnamon_Rolls.html

Wheat Bread

http://www.luxetveritasacademy.org/Site_7/Recipe_Blog/Entries/2008/2/12_Wheat_Bread.html

I will try to type up our specialty breads for you.

We bake constantly (that is why we are always on a diet)

We have a Bosche mixer- which is a must when you are baking a lot.

Thank you! I'm hoping (hoping) that moving away from processed foods will help us be healthier. I'm dabbling right now and I'm at the point I want to be able to do specialty breads and grow my own herbs. I've already included more whole foods in our diet in the past few years, slowly squeezing out box mixes and figuring out different ways to do things.

Eventually, I want a vegetable garden, a few fruit and/or nut trees, and fresh herbs to be able to enjoy from our backyard. I also want a compost to help aid all this fabulous growing. Bread is something I can do without there having to be a step before it, thankfully. I thought the mixer or bread machine was needed (ahem, kneaded, lol). I love that you used honey instead of sugar for your dinner rolls. Yum!! My mouth watered just seeing the photo!

Does adding the vanilla and honey to the butter make the shelf life of the butter shorter?

Thanks for linking your recipes, I'll be borrowing them I'm sure! :D

I did it for years. Here is one of my all time favorites from the Riversong Lodge Cookbook. SO awesome in the winter with soup!!

Karen's German Onion Bread

1 cup tepid water

1 1/2 cups flat beer at room temp

1/3 cup molasses

2 pkgs (or 2 tablespoons) quick rise active dry yeast

2 tbls unsalted butter

1 large onion peeled and chopped

3 cups rye flour

5-7 cups all purpose flour

1 tbls salt

in large bowl combine water, beer, molasses and yeast. Leave to let yeast activate,

Melt butter in skillet and saute onion til translucent.

Add onion to yeast mixture.

Blend in rye flour, salt and 5 cups of all purpose flour.

mix well and knead 10 minutes adding more flour as needed.

The dough will be a little sticky but should be kneadable. Let dough rest 15 minutes.

Divide in half and knead each piece again 5 minutes.

Shape into rounded loaves and turn out onto a large, well greased cookie sheet.

Cover and let rise until doubles in side, about an hour.

Preheat oven to 400. Bake 35-50 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped and are golden brown on the bottom.

Guest kacifl

then I take the dough out and let it rise. Mostly, I put it in our car (we live in hot, hot HOT Florida. The dough rises in 20 mins. on a sunny day.

I may try our mix-master next.

It does take a bit of practice. However, if you persevere until you've got a good feel for it, it doesn't take all that much time, and I think the end result is superior.

We usually use a breadmaker, but at one point we went a couple months without one. Dh would start a loaf in the morning and put it to rise. Then I would knead it, put it to rise a second time, and bake. It really did not take that much time from either one of us, especially once dh got a really good idea of how the dough is supposed to look/feel.

Bread made in a bread machine inevitably tastes, well, like a machine did most of the work.;) Once you get into it, the process of making bread, kneading it yourself ~ it's very rewarding. I have to admit I've not done a great deal of it lately, though. Your post is a good reminder. And good for you for thinking on these things!:)

I was totally intimidated about breadmaking until a woman at church did a tutorial for us. She taught us using a really simple recipe. I have made it multiple times since and have no mixer or other special equipment. The recipe she gave me makes 8 loaves so I make it and freeze. It is super easy but very basic. I know other women from church who have adapted it by adding oatmeal or other whole grains or other stuff...I've stuck to the basic recipe but it has given me confidence to try more baking (when the weather is cooler and I'm willing to use the oven again. :))

Here is the recipe if you are interested:

Swiss Bread (not sure why it's called that, but that's what she calls it)

Measure 8 cups of warm water. Remove 1 1/2 cups into a large glass container. Add 3 Tablespoons granulated yeast and 2 Tablespoons sugar. Set aside to become a sponge...takes 15-20 minutes. Quick acting yeast works faster.

Into a VERY large bowl (this is the only special equipment I have...I got a huge stainless steel bowl from Ikea) put 5 lbs. BREAD flour. (She recommends King Arthur flour, I've used whatever our store has.) Add 2 Tablespoons salt to flour and stir. Add the remaining warm water and mix together, then add the yeast sponge. Using a heavy spoon or your hands (works best) mix together. It will be moist and just needs to be well mixed. Leave in this bowl and cover with a wet tea towel (not terry). Let raise until double. This may take an hour depending on the heat in room etc. Do not let the towel dry out.

Grease a cookie sheet and sprinkle some corn meal on it. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

When dough is doubled, dump onto a floured surface and punch down to get rid of air. Round into a ball as best as you can and cut in half. Put one half back into bowl and round up the other half, and cut into four equal portions. Working with each portion separately, knead just to get a smooth ball and form into loaves...round or long and narrow. They could be put into baguette forms if you have them. If your oven will hold two sheets form the remaining half of the dough. If you need to bake half and keep the remaining dough in the bowl under the wet towel. After loaves are formed you can cover with a moist towel and put in fridge for several hours (if you need to go out and bake later).

Slit the top of each loaf two or three times with a very sharp knife or razor blade and then spray with water thoroughly (helps a crust form and allows the bread to rise more.)

Place baking sheets in 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes. (I have found that if I am cooking all 8 loaves at once it takes more like 30-40 minutes but I have a funny oven. I have also found that when I've undercooked the bread a little it is ok, it works well toasted so we just toast it if undercooked.) Remove to cooling rack.

Variations: Hard rolls: Add 1 cup shortening and decrease water by 1/2 cup.

Whole wheat: Substitute 1/4 of flour with whole wheat flour.

After making small loaves can add raisins or cinnamon sugar. She suggests rolling into rectangle, sprinkling with cinnamon sugar and rolling back up.

Freezes well in zip lock bags. After thawing, works better if toasted.

My kids and dh love this bread. My two small boys will eat a loaf right after I bake it. :) It is super easy and a good place to start.

I kneeded our bread by hand for a year until I proved to my self that I was committed to baking bread.

AFter a year, carpel tunnel made my wrists sore, but DH was thoroughly enjoying the homemade bread, so we bought a Bosch.

This is the recipe I used, it is for soft French bread and a recipe that my Mom developed over the course of a few years.

It is delicious! I will include some changes that I make to it.

In large bowl mix 4 cups bread flour with 4 cups Warm water ( 105 degrees, and I use it right out of the tap)

2 Tablespoon SAF yeast (I only use SAF..)

1 Tablespoon Salt

1 whole egg ( but you can just use the white and give tehe yolk to the dog)

1/4 cup sugar

1/3 cup oil

Mix the above with a mixer for 5 mins.

Gradually add in 7 cups bread flour, one cup at a time. You can use a mixer in the beginning, but eventually you will have to do it by hand.

dump onto counter and knead by hand for about 8 mins.

Put into greased bowl and let raise until doubled.

Normal weather and house is not warm, takes about an hour.

Punch down and let rest for 20 mins.

Put into pans..make into loaves, cinnamon rolls, buns, etc.. and let rise for another hour..usually a bit less at my house.

It also makes great pizza dough!

Makes 4 loaves of bread.

Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

Options. I like to buy 7 grain cereal as in Bob's REd mill or like that and add 2 cups of that in the first step, instead of 2 cups of flour.

I also grind my own wheat and add up to half wheat flour in place of half the white flour. More than that and my family doen'st care for it.

Enjoy exploring making it your own bread. It is very worthwhile to learn!