Menu

Will I *ever* find the correct running shoe?

Blueridge

Grrrrr I am so frustrated. Learning to run is hard enough without having to fight your shoes. A few months ago I bought an expensive pair of Brooks at the local athletic store. I was fitted for them and they felt the best of the shoes they gave me to try. I never buy myself anything that expensive and I saved for months to get them, so it is a big deal to me to *love* them. Whoo boy, did they hurt my feet...and my legs...and they never got better... So my helpful <snort> dh called the manager and was told they would be happy to help me find a better fit. I swallowed my embarrassment and went in. They did all those foot fitting 'tests' and assured me that the old shoes were completely wrong for my feet and these new ones (also Brooks but less expensive) would suit me well. I wore them the rest of that day and they seemed fine for walking. This morning I tried jogging and they didn't hurt as much as the old ones, but they hurt in different ways lol. Now, several hours later, my poor legs are like jello. I am frustrated and sad. What else can I do to find some shoes that won't kill me when I am running? Maybe

I'm just not cut out to be a runner. :rant:

I am not sure if I run enough per week to be considered a "runner". I run between 20-25 miles per week and used to have occasional knee pain. I am not familiar with Brooks shoes, but I after trying a number of different brands of running shoes, I was fitted with Aasics about 15 years ago and that solved my knee pain trouble. Now, if I feel sore after a run it is because it is time to replace my shoes.

Good luck.

My daughter has very flat feet and had terrible leg pain from running. She was fitted for a pair of shoes that would be much better for her feet. They warned us that switching over to a new shoe -- even a better one -- would be working different muscles, and would probably be painful at first, like you're starting over again almost. That was exactly what happened. She then backed off from running quite a bit, and eased into the new shoes more slowly. Eventually, the different muscles figured out what they had to do and were in better shape, and now her feet are much better.

Another thing you could do is get a second opinion somewhere else!

I'm sorry you're struggling. I know it's frustrating. I hurt myself badly the first 2 years I was running. Injuries bad enough to sideline me for 3 months at a shot. One issue was my shoe, but the other issue was that my muscles were not strong enough. I started running at 38. My body was at rest and wanted to stay at rest. :) My muscles were to weak to support running. I didn't give up. I love running. But it has taken time.

Really, it depends on why your feet are hurting. Is it an injury that hasn't fully healed, so that even with good shoes your feet hurt? Is it the shoes? Maybe how you're running? Or maybe you need to take some time to do some strength work to help out the other muscles.

I hate to say it, but you need either a sports doctor or a PT. We have a running store where the PT person comes once a week, and for a small fee he/she can evalutate you. A friend used it, and it really helped.

Also, don't be afraid to go back and say that these shoes hurt too. They are there to help you. They would rather you keep running, so that you'll buy more shoes in the future.

My shoes give me awful shin splints, to the point of not being able to touch my shins at all for a couple days. I'm saving up to get a new pair of running shoes after being "fit" for them. Will the store let you run on a treadmill in the shoes for a mile or two?

Another thing you could do is get a second opinion somewhere else!

Yep. But take the new shoes back to your old store first. My store has a policy for shoes that don't work. You bring them back, they take them back and you try a different shoe. It's a good way to help find a fit for a hard to fit foot. Be sure you tell them where the pain is, and when you feel it the most. I also try to look for the oldest salesman in the shop. Often that is where the experience is.

Will the store let you run on a treadmill in the shoes for a mile or two?

The one I use does.

Don't fret. It may take a while to find your "favorite" shoe, and chances are good that once you've got your best shoe ever, the company will discontinue it. :glare: What matters the most to me is when I find the shoe that feels good I try to figure out why it works for me so that I can look for those features. Ditto for shoes that don't work for me.

And I wear Mizuno Alchemy.

So you can see that when it comes to running shoes the perfect shoe is very different for each individual.

I've worn Aesics, Nike, Brooks, New Balance and Rebok; liked some things about these shoes, but like the Mizuno better. And even the Mizuno has one thing I don't like for the way I run. It takes time to come to an understanding with your shoes. And you may even change your shoe as you mature as a runner. I started in Aesics, loved them. But now that I'm older and heavier my arch is flatter, and I just do better in a Mizuno. At some point I may even need more support than they give, but for now, they are just right.

Finding the perfect running shoe is quite a challenge. I have also found that the type of shoe I need has changed as my exercise level has changed. For me, there is a difference between run/walk, running, walking, and power walking. My gate is different for each. Also, I have discovered gait issues due to improper stretching/posture/technique etc.

You also might need to consider different insoles. I finally found my perfect match in one of Brook's cheaper running shoes, but I need better insoles. Will you running store run with you? When I get fitted, 1 fitter stands at the starting point and another is at the finish point. They both watch gait, stride, foot fall, etc. They look at wear patterns on my old shoes. They consider posture and the ground I'm running on. It is a long process.

One other thought......Have you considered "toe shoes". Dh prefers to run barefoot. So, he wears the toe shoes to protect his feet from debris on the ground but still have the barefoot feel.

Socks are also important too....

Gosh, y'all have all been so helpful and encouraging! I will give these new shoes another week and if they are still hurting, then back to the store they go. I'm sure they will love to see me again. :laugh: I never knew how hard picking shoes would be. The man said that, although I have lower arches, I have a neutral running gait :confused1: and those are two different shoe categories. I always did feel like a square peg in a round hole lol. Well, I'll keep trying. I really, really want to run. Thanks again!

I will only wear Asics Gel Kinsei 4. They are expensive but I LOVE them! I tried to get by with wearing a pair of inexpensive shoes I found at TJ Maxx and I started having joint problems right away. Also, I notice my joints start to hurt when my shoes start to wear out. I believe when most people find the right shoes, they will run without any pain.

Gosh, y'all have all been so helpful and encouraging! I will give these new shoes another week and if they are still hurting, then back to the store they go. I'm sure they will love to see me again. :laugh: I never knew how hard picking shoes would be. The man said that, although I have lower arches, I have a neutral running gait :confused1: and those are two different shoe categories. I always did feel like a square peg in a round hole lol. Well, I'll keep trying. I really, really want to run. Thanks again!

I have a similar problem. I have a low arch but a neutral gait. For me, a shoe for my gait is more important than a shoe for my arch. BUT, I do have upgraded insoles. Also, please research stretching and exercises for running. All sorts of aches and pains can be avoided with some prevention.

Grrrrr I am so frustrated. Learning to run is hard enough without having to fight your shoes. A few months ago I bought an expensive pair of Brooks at the local athletic store. I was fitted for them and they felt the best of the shoes they gave me to try. I never buy myself anything that expensive and I saved for months to get them, so it is a big deal to me to *love* them. Whoo boy, did they hurt my feet...and my legs...and they never got better... So my helpful <snort> dh called the manager and was told they would be happy to help me find a better fit. I swallowed my embarrassment and went in. They did all those foot fitting 'tests' and assured me that the old shoes were completely wrong for my feet and these new ones (also Brooks but less expensive) would suit me well. I wore them the rest of that day and they seemed fine for walking. This morning I tried jogging and they didn't hurt as much as the old ones, but they hurt in different ways lol. Now, several hours later, my poor legs are like jello. I am frustrated and sad. What else can I do to find some shoes that won't kill me when I am running? Maybe

I'm just not cut out to be a runner. :rant:

You said they fit you for your shoes, but are they a running shoe store? I ask because a lot of sporting goods stores will try and fit your shoes but it's little more than making sure they are the right size. There is a store down here that is advertised in Runner's World Magazine as a place that really fits and knows running shoes. We go to them only when having problems. I haven't been in a long time, but I remember them looking at me stand and walk in stocking feet. Looking at my shoes I'd brought in with me and then bringing out about 5 pairs of shoes. If they felt ok, then I'd walk around the store. If that felt ok then I'd go outside for a short run down the parking lot.

Other than them, when everything is working, I buy the new edition of what I've been running in. It has always worked.

It's not a brand. Each brand fits differently. I can't run in Nike's, they are too narrow on the heel. I can't run in Sacony's, i literally tear them up too fast. I do well in Brooks and Asics.

Probably every brand has a shoe for you. I know every brand has a shoe model not for you. :tongue_smilie: Among the shoes that would suit you, you then get down to the comfort and finish issues like not rubbing anywhere, etc.

Look, I love Nike Frees, Vibram 5 Fingers and my old New Balance 790 Trail shoes for the snow. Doesn't mean anything to you, even if our feet were similar, because where we run, how much we run, and how much pain we tolerate are all likely different.

I've also customized the heck out of them to make them right for me (duct tape, tongue pads, cuts in soles, etc.) Don't be afraid to do so once you know you are keeping a pair. (A Pair! Ha -- I have at least 8 active pair at the moment -- 5 models, 3 versions of one model -- all gotten for under $60 each. Some are years old. One pair has about 1000 miles on it and is still going strong. Clearly I don't buy into the notion that says a pair is dead at 300-500 miles!)

Work on your stride. YES there is a correct form, which is to not "brake" by reaching out with your leg and heel striking.

Yes, it is a running store...they seem to have shoes and goodies for every type of runner, and classes, too. I went to a large sporting goods store first and apparently I knew more than the poor salesman. I know I will find the right ones. I want to love them so much that they will last me a thousand miles, too...which should take me into the year 2020 at least! ;) Thanks again everyone!

If you live anywhere near a Runner's Roost, I would strongly recommend you go there. We are 2+ hours from the closest one but that is where we go several times a year for my boys to get their cross country and track shoes. They have a treadmill that you can run on that records how you step and where the most impact is. They watch you walk and run and discuss with you what you would use the shoes for. They have you try on several pairs and try them out to see how they feel. You can even try them out on the treadmill. They really listen to you and are very knowledgable about what is available. My brother is an Ironman and recommended that I take my boys there when they started running. It is well worth the 250 mile round trip for my boys to get the proper shoes. They are also very competitive price wise and offer other running gear as well.

I can't run in minimal shoes. I need the support for my legs

See this is a perfect example -- if I told Jillian that my shoes are great, they would drive her nuts. Further, "support" means different things to different people. I just recently had my dh tell me he can't run in Frees because they have no support. What he meant is he wants to feel a fairly stiff "shoe" around him. After asking some more questions, I ended up having him try a pair of Nike LunaRacers because he wanted a super lightweight shoe with a firm upper. I don't recommend for anyone other than him, and boy I never thought he'd end up in a pair of LunaRacers...But he's loving them, so, there you go.

Also, some shoes you can beat into submission for awhile, and then eventually you have to give up. I had a pair of I don't know what Nikes that were just WRONG WRONG WRONG for me. I even tried to run a marathon in them....they were too much shoe for me. I need a more minimal shoe or I get problems. But I did get a couple hundred miles out of the wrong shoe including part of one marathon training cycle before I reluctantly donated them to an organization collecting old shoes.

I've been using Under Armour shoes that I love for cross training or P90X because they are light, but they cause me terrible terrible shin splints when I run (as I mentioned earlier). Even the UA "running" shoes don't work for me for actual running but are great for plyo or other high impact work outs, or maybe the road running I do is different than treadmill running for how these shoes "perform". And nono is right, each person's definition of support, or lightweight, or whatever is very different. Furthermore, I read something like 250 miles in each pair of shoes is the max especially if you are a road runner, and that 250 is counted even just walking or cross training you have to factor that all in, never wear your running shoes for anything but running.

I run in Mizuno Alchemys as well. I love them! I need a narrow heel, wide toe box and a lot of support. I have worn Alchemys forever.

And it took a lot of frogs before I found my prince of a running shoe. It can be frustrating, not to mention expensive.

And as far as the legs feeling like jello comment, i'm not sure how that has anything to do with your shoe? Do you mean pain?

And finally, have you looked at your running program? Are you starting slow, walking when needed?

Good luck in your quest.

You mentioned you're a 'new' runner. Girl, if you're that new, your legs are going to hurt after you run no matter what shoe you're wearing! However, your feet should not be raw and covered with blisters. One blister is allowable. It's going to take some time to find a shoe that works with your foot, AND you are going to have to fork over some money for a quality shoe. Not knowing what you consider expensive or what your body structure is, I can only state what's worked for me in the past: Nike and New Balance. You can get a GREAT shoe in either brand for around $60-70. If you're going to put that much pressure on your feet, legs, back, and body, you need to invest in a quality-made shoe.

It's true you are going to be sore. That said----notice where you are sore! When I started out running again about a year ago I was running in my old standby--Aesics with gel fore and aft. I noticed right away that I was sore down my inner calves--really sore. Like prop your feet up, ice and compression sore. That got better with time, which I thought was fine. What I should have done right then was to go get shoes with support for overpronation. My whole running dynamic had shifted since my pregnancy with twins and major weight gain. Had I noticed that sooner I *might* have saved myself this bout of plantar fasciitis I'm dealing with right now. Maybe not. But especially for a novice runner, or for someone like myself coming back to the run after a long, long layoff and health issues, knowing what pain is expected and what is not right can be a challenge.

I prefer to look at all pain as a symptom of something not quite right, myself. Doesn't stop me running, but it makes me more careful to look at things like distance, the shoe, my gait and where I need to concentrate my stretching or strength exercise.

Thank you for even more helpful comments! The new shoes were feeling a bit better this morning. I am very new to running (but have done P90X and similar things so I am fairly strong) so I am using the C25K and walking every day between. I recognize the first shoes I bought hurt my poor feet so badly because they made me land on the sides of my feet. That pain was awful. These new ones aren't as cozy feeling as I had hoped, but my feet don't cramp or feel out of balance, but my legs are still really sore. I think that is a good kind of sore this time, but we'll have to see if it improves or gets worse. I had hoped to have a pair of shoes that I could hardly wait to put on in the mornings. Pretty ones that feel like clouds and make me fly. :D I'm hanging in there, though!