Menu

If you had $5K that HAD to be spent right away....

mitzvahmommy

Grantmom, I see you recommend MCT, Bravewriter, and WWE. I am SO confused about LA curriculums. We basically didn't do anything for LA this year except read, journal and work on handwriting. So I was planning on buying a curriculum for next year. But as far as I can tell from the little research I've done, and having not seen those curriculums at a curriculum fair or anything, I thought they all teach the same thing - am I wrong? Does IEW also cover the same areas? Another question - I wanted to use Rod and Staff for spelling. I don't mind that it is religious in slant, as I am a religious Jew. But I borrowed it from a curriculum library this week, and it just has a little too much New Testament in it for me. Otherwise, I love the layout, simplicity, independent nature. Do any of the curriculums suggested above also cover spelling, or will I need to get something for spelling as well? Any clarification would be so helpful, as my head is spinning in that area, and LA curriculums seem to be the most expensive purchases in terms of paper stuff. Or should I create a new post for these questions? This is the first time I have posted on a forum, and I am still learning the ropes :)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would spend a bunch of it at Acorn Naturalist. They have beautiful things for learning. :)

I also would buy a couple of Sonlight cores (but probably on ebay, because I like the how older cores are laid out better).

I would go to the homeschool buyers coop site and see what they have that appeals to me. They often have good deals there.

HTH

I'm sorry that you're going through bankruptcy. Right, with it being a tax refund rather than a cc purchase, you'll be fine in terms of avoiding the spending spree penalties....although some judges may turn up an eyebrow. Your attorney likely knows all of the judges well, and so I'd go with his advice.

I think you're going to have a hard time getting much written into your plan for school expenditures. I know earlier you mentioned fun stuff, but I would truly try to buy as much as you can in terms of getting all of your bases covered. I think a kindle would be fine.

So often we talk about all of the choices available for a subject. I think a lot depends on teacher preference. Curricula is a tool for the teacher. I'd just pick something you like and run with it.... I have had to do the buy-in-advance thing before....several times.....because we don't always have a lot of flexibility in our budget. We keep getting hit with big medical expenses (daughter with cancer, NICU bills) or with big house expenses (mudjacking foundations, other unexpected big repairs). It is very nerve wracking trying to do it right....this last time I had the "aha" moment that sometimes adequate is ok. It doesn't always have to be a perfect match for each student. Reality is, I'm handing down books from kid to kid as I only have funds to buy for a new subject once. And, it's ok.

In light of that:

*sequential spelling (geared towards your dyslexic, will be fine for everyone else--your aspie will likely enjoy the structure of the program)

*MUS for math (nice clean white page, one set of manipulatives can be used by all kids, multiple learning modalities are accomodated)

*Handwriting Without Tears, with manipulatives (wood pieces, chalkboard): what an OT would use if issues came up, great program for kids without issues too--buy a few reams of extra paper too

*SOTW 1-4 with AG: you can utilize your library; Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, History in the Woods timeline cd and timeline books

*pick a science program and run with it....NOEO comes with science supply kits, Apologia has them as well...

*Artistic Pursuits and supply kits (easy links through AP website to Blick to order and prices are good)

*IEW....great program, and it's expensive to buy later on, has good return policy/resale value

I've done FLL and WWE with three kids now...the books have held up well to pass down. If you buy the digital files, you can easily print off student pages for subsequent students. :)

good luck!

I would suggest you think about what you feel is lacking in your own education. What are your weaknesses? I would then find ways to study those things now, purchase with an eye toward the future. If you are not confident in a subject, now is the time to prepare.

Curricula is a tool for the teacher. I'd just pick something you like and run with it....

These are EXCELLENT points. If YOU like it and learn to be a better teacher from it, it's worth the purchase even if you don't USE it.

Grantmom, I see you recommend MCT, Bravewriter, and WWE. I am SO confused about LA curriculums. We basically didn't do anything for LA this year except read, journal and work on handwriting. So I was planning on buying a curriculum for next year. But as far as I can tell from the little research I've done, and having not seen those curriculums at a curriculum fair or anything, I thought they all teach the same thing - am I wrong? Does IEW also cover the same areas? Another question - I wanted to use Rod and Staff for spelling. I don't mind that it is religious in slant, as I am a religious Jew. But I borrowed it from a curriculum library this week, and it just has a little too much New Testament in it for me. Otherwise, I love the layout, simplicity, independent nature. Do any of the curriculums suggested above also cover spelling, or will I need to get something for spelling as well? Any clarification would be so helpful, as my head is spinning in that area, and LA curriculums seem to be the most expensive purchases in terms of paper stuff. Or should I create a new post for these questions? This is the first time I have posted on a forum, and I am still learning the ropes :)

Well, I'm not Grantmom, but I'll reply that the different LA programs are quite different. Enough so that many of us have more than one. MCT is for grammar and love of English language--some composition, but that does not seem like a strong point to me. Bravewriter is for composition with also some other aspects of LA--it emphasizes a loose, free-writing style. IEW has a bunch of things available including two spelling programs (which you might want to consider especially given the return possibility--they are very expensive, and so far I haven't felt justified in trying them, but think if I were trying to use 5k now that I would get them and a lot else from IEW), but I mainly think of it for a structured approach to composition. WWE/WWS is again a structured approach to composition, but very different from IEW. I think it would help if you visit all their websites and do a bunch of reading, and click on the "look inside" or pdf sample links to understand better. This might be a great opportunity to get 3 or 4 of these programs.

You might also consider getting the whole of Life of Fred. Some parents are using it to review higher math ahead of their dc. Otherwise, I think math mammoth is a great choice along with having Khanacademy available too. Though someone else suggested MUS, and that is also something to consider. It was very good for my dyslexic child before he could manage to deal with text like Math Mammoth.

I didn't read all the posts. I would stick to buying the more popular items preferably what you might find used. Then if you find it isn't working, you can resell it at a later date and try something else. Off the top of my head would be the following things.

SOTW

IEW

Teaching Textbooks

Life of Fred

Apologia or any of the other popular science

Whatever popular language arts

I would also get a good laser printer, ipad (or two), camera, memberships, trampoline.

In light of that:

*sequential spelling (geared towards your dyslexic, will be fine for everyone else--your aspie will likely enjoy the structure of the program)

*MUS for math (nice clean white page, one set of manipulatives can be used by all kids, multiple learning modalities are accomodated)

*Handwriting Without Tears, with manipulatives (wood pieces, chalkboard): what an OT would use if issues came up, great program for kids without issues too--buy a few reams of extra paper too

*SOTW 1-4 with AG: you can utilize your library; Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, History in the Woods timeline cd and timeline books

*pick a science program and run with it....NOEO comes with science supply kits, Apologia has them as well...

*Artistic Pursuits and supply kits (easy links through AP website to Blick to order and prices are good)

*IEW....great program, and it's expensive to buy later on, has good return policy/resale value

I've done FLL and WWE with three kids now...the books have held up well to pass down. If you buy the digital files, you can easily print off student pages for subsequent students. :)

good luck!

These are pretty good recommendations here, though I am unfamiliar with Sequential Spelling. My spelling rec would be All About Spelling.

I really think you have to take into account how your children learn, and it already sounds like you are doing that. I don't disagree with getting a program geared to one child and using it for others, but it won't always work, lol. I've tried.

I just graduated my aspie last May. So here are my thoughts on the Language Arts. Though I didn't use IEW, I have heard over and over that it is "usually" a good fit for aspie's. They do struggle so much with the process of writing as well as the physical aspect of writing. However, I found with my aspie that when I stepped away from formal writing instruction and just got her writing about whatever she wanted to write about, she improved by leaps and bounds. Handwriting without Tears is essential, IMHO, for aspies. It's not frilly so less frustration and more "get it done" type pages. If you have a hands on learner as well, the manipulatives are great, so that would fit more than one child it sounds like. If you have one later who wants all the curly cues and stuff, it's easy to transition to that and very inexpensive. FLL and WWE would have driven my aspie crazy, and it did drive my very hands on, wiggly younger dd crazy. I know they hold up well, but I would only invest in them if they will fit the majority of your children, and it sounds like maybe not. Grammar is pretty much grammar, basically, it's about learning style. My aspie did Rod and Staff and that was mostly all sitting on an exercise ball in front of a white board. We did almost all of it orally with that white board. Younger dd prefers workbooks and she is doing well with Growing With Grammar. I am a huge fan of All About Spelling because it works with a bunch of different learning types. Younger dd, very hands on, has loved it. We do spelling tests on the white board as well. You can make the lessons as long or short as you need to. It is teacher intensive, meaning you do it with them, however our lessons are about 15-20min about 4 days a week and if you start them all at the same level you would only be teaching it once. My favorite book for vocabulary is Vocabulary Cartoons (Elementary). Fun!

If you would like a "all-in-one" language arts, you could check out Learning Language Arts Through Literature. It has vocab, spelling, reading, etc., all in one. Don't stress about the Language Arts. Truly, all you need is good reading books and a simple grammar program. You can pull all the others from here if you have to.

Some of the big fancy programs are really nice, but how is your homeschooling going to look as you go through this process and a possible/probably move? Are you going to have a lot of time to focus on a big program, or for 12-18 months are you going to be just doing the core subjects and surviving. Just something to think about. I know that when I had been in a similar situation, I was happy if the core got done (and we were newbie homeschoolers). Bible, Math, Grammar, and Spelling were all I regularly got done for a year. Dd then read real books and watched nature shows. Even if I had had money for a big program that year it wouldn't have gotten done. Just something to keep in mind or think about.

So my additions to the list would be:

A white board, a big one if you go with All About Spelling plus individual 8x10 white boards for your aspie and other writing phobic children. With lots of Expo no-odor markers.

An exercise ball or balance ball of some sorts for your aspie and any other wiggly kids. It really does help concentration, replace chairs with them or have them sit and bounce while doing read alouds or spelling lists.

Thinking putty...lots of it!!

Magic School Bus dvd's. Yes you can get these from the library, but it is so much easier if you just have it. Plus, kids get a ton of science from these and you can supplement with books from the library.

A typing program, like Typing Instruction Platinum. This will help your aspie and any others as they come up.

Definitely a new computer/laptop if yours is old! You won't be buying one for years, so you need one now that will last. As cool as the iPads and iTouch's are, I think a computer/laptop is more important. Unless you are already an Apple family, you can find other good computers for less.

I know it is so hard to think of all the angles when you are in this situation and just starting out homeschooling. You will probably buy things that won't work or be a good fit. And that's ok. Don't stress over that. All in all it is most important that your family will be together and you will get through this rough time. With that as the focus, and with your kids being on the younger side, you will be just fine!

Well, if it were me.....(and I don't school the WTM way), I'd buy a bunch of levels of McRuffy (language arts, math, and science) and several levels of Moving Beyond the Page. Of course...I'd have to figure out what additional workbooks to get for both McRuffy and MBtP so that the other kids coming up would be all set too. I'd also get all Home Art Studio DVD's and a bunch of art supplies.

Amazon gift cards would be my best guess, also.

Practical: I would make sure that I had a desktop computer, printer, ink, paper. Ipads might be good, as well. I would think about buying some subscriptions: Talking Fingers is recommended in Overcoming Dyslexia, and my kids are enjoying it both for keyboarding and as a good phonics reinforcer. Can you get Brain Pop or Discovery Education subscriptions? I would look into prepaying for music/ art/ language lessons, but if you are likely to be moving cross country, that might not work well. Mp3 players/ itouch.

Story of the World, Nancy Larson science (maybe?), c-rods, base 10 blocks, some basic math manipulatives, building materials, science equipment.

In terms of math, I would want to have a few options. I would get the next couple years of Singapore, and some manipulatives, but I would also get a few years of two different popular programs: Right Start, Math U See, and/ or Saxon. I would want to have a spiral and a conceptual represented, since you've got lots of little kids coming up and the possibility of some special needs.

Language arts with a possible dyslexic, however, would give me pause. Hmmm....... I'd consider a couple levels of Barton, maybe some ABeCeDarian? Handwriting without Tears and All About Spelling, I think. I'd go ahead and get maybe First Language Lessons, but for composition, I might I would get IEW.

I would definitely get some sensory integration equipment: trampoline, pull up bar, mats, bean bags, hoops, exercise balls, balance board, etc.

Consider buying at least a few things that have excellent resale value, in case they are duds with your kids. Life of Fred appears to resell for 90% of its new cost, so that would be a great choice. Buy the whole set.

I agree with the Kindle suggestions, or the iPads. The latter paired with a Bluetooth keyboard (I like Zagg) and a DropBox account serves all my kid's schooling needs. He does not take any online classes, however.

If your kids are young I honestly would not get them laptops - the technology will change completely before they are of the age when they will use them intensively.

Heritage History CDs & Study Guides: Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece, Medieval History ($50 each). Tons of open source books that have been formatted for the Kindle.

Thames 3000 science kit

Laser printer that prints duplex (HP LaserJet 3005 is a reliable workhorse)

a beautiful map of the world for your wall

A globe

I would definitely buy a Smartboard or some such Interactive White Board. We would love to have one, primarily because I think the gross motor aspect of the lessons would be particularly helpful for my dyscalculic daughter. But aside from that, there is SO MUCH MORE I could do with a smartboard that would benefit the rest of the kids, too.

Ok, now that I have read more...

OP, you really should ask some questions about Bankruptcy law over at www.bkforum.com. Spending the tax return right before you file *might* get you in hot water with the bankruptcy courts. There's a crazy blogger woman who tried to do something similar and her bankruptcy was withdrawn over it. (Her situation was a lot more complicated and included outright fraud, but the spending right before filing, if I remember correctly, was brought up by the trustee). Chances are, the trustee *will* ask you where the money went, and he or she may or may not be too pleased that you spent it instead of paying creditors.

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. We went through something similar. Several years ago, our 800 credit scores were destroyed when we were forced into a bankrupcty. Our bankruptcy was the result of losing a multifamily home, which was lost due to back-to-back-to-back tenant evictions, which resulted in a net loss of over 30k that one year. No rents from tenants + rampant tenant destruction + legal fees to remove scumbag tenants = inability to pay the mortgage.

You'll get through it...it's really poopy, but you'll get through it. In the end, for us, the Lord used that situation in some crazy ways to bring us to where we are now, which wouldn't have happened had the bankruptcy never happened.

You'll be able to buy a house again, etc. We closed on our single family home not even five years after the bankruptcy was discharged, purchased our vehicle with financing not even three years out of the bankruptcy. It's not fun to go through, but it'll be alright in the long run. :-)

To the above poster, it feels weird to us, and wrong, to spend this tax return. But our lawyer, who is very highly respected in our community and friends have used, assures us it is fine. But I like to listen to that little voice inside of me, and that little voice does keep shouting that this doesn't feel kosher. Bankruptcy may not be a great experience, but at least I am pretty sure I will be able to feed my kids, which I don't feel like I can consistently now. And overall it has been positive for us, refining our focus, bringing us even closer, developing my skills at cooking beans in a thousand new ways :)

Also, we seem to have kids similarly spaced - first two 11 months apart, and then 4 in 5 years (in the end I had 5 in six years, then had to have a hysterectomy due to a complication). Is your house total madness as well?! Then again, your oldest is a girl, and my last is the only girl, so my house is bursting with testosterone....

LOL, yes, ours are spaced similar! DD and DS1 were 11 months apart, both born in 2006. They are pretty much like having twins, without actually carrying two babies at a time. Then we did better and had 16 months from Baby 2 to Baby 3 and then 13 months from Baby 3 to Baby 4. I had my tubes tied after Baby 4...all four kiddos were c-sections and I'm pretty sure my midwife would have refused to allow me to leave the hospital until I agreed to have my tubes tied.

The house is certainly as chaotic as would be expected with a 7, 6, and almost 5 and almost 4 yr olds running around. It's not *too* bad though. I definitely hear ya on the testosterone...there's a lot of grunting and growling and all manner of "boy noises" around here. I can only imagine how crazy it's going to get when they're teens and eating like horses, wrestling like egomaniacs, etc. But it'll be fun, I'm sure.

Good luck with all that you're going through! Again, I know how much it really stinks. But it does get better, once that load is lifted from your shoulders.

P.S. Those tough times really can make a family so much stronger if ya let it! Sounds like you guys are! Last year, my husband broke his leg and lost 7 months of income. It was sooooo hard. But oh my gosh, we had SO.MUCH.FUN! I wouldn't trade that time in for anything in the entire world (though I suspect he would differ with me on that opinion, lol). There's nothing better than taking a poopy situation and making it good.

Hi all, I wanted to let everyone know that our lawyer found out that we CAN put away our max contributions in an IRA for retirement without penalty or fear that it will all be taken. And there goes my homeschooling budget! Ha! Total reversal of fortunes. Thank G-d I am totally used to that by now. So now I am back to business as usual, planning next year's homeschool materials with the money I can glean from the non-existent food budget. But I am so much more comfortable in that space. Now I am running over to follow an amazing thread started by Hunter (thanks again Hunter! hugs) about homeschooling with a Bible, library card and a few other essentials. See you all there!

We went through this years ago. It was not fun but God was with us. At no time in those years did I not have curriculum for my children. And now with so much on the internet, homeschooling for free is doable.

Just wanted to mention a set of books by Katheryn Stout, Design a Study, these books are lists of topics/skills needed for grades K-8 in all subject areas. The books are cheap and are easy to find on ebay for even less. With these books as a guide, the library and a Bible, you can cover what needs to be covered for each child.

Be careful about buying computers, iPads, printers, copy machines, furniture, or reference sets (like encyclopedias). Things like that can be counted as assets and taken by the court to pay your creditors. Even microscopes and telescopes might be counted.

Things like books and school materials will probably be safe. If I had to buy ahead and spend that much on non big ticket items I would get:

several levels of teaching textbooks (they can be resold easily)

a big snap circuits set

museum/zoo memberships - ask is 2+ years can be prepaid

science kits (rocks/minerals, seashells, etc.)

k'nex or lego education sets

lots of math manipulatives

good quality art supplies including lots of paper since it will last

a nice pencil sharpener

basic supplies like pencils, a stapler, three hole punch, graph paper, etc.

art portfolios, file boxes, and other organization items

lots of children's literature that will last for years, amazon has lots of these books buy 3 get 1 free

if you like them, explode the code and beyond the code books for each of the kids for several years

if you like them, writing with ease and/or first language lessons to last each child for several years

Hi all, I wanted to let everyone know that our lawyer found out that we CAN put away our max contributions in an IRA for retirement without penalty or fear that it will all be taken. And there goes my homeschooling budget! Ha! Total reversal of fortunes. Thank G-d I am totally used to that by now. So now I am back to business as usual, planning next year's homeschool materials with the money I can glean from the non-existent food budget. But I am so much more comfortable in that space. Now I am running over to follow an amazing thread started by Hunter (thanks again Hunter! hugs) about homeschooling with a Bible, library card and a few other essentials. See you all there!

Mitzvahmommy, I'm so glad you are no longer feeling so pressured. :hurray: I wasn't bothering to mention free resources or books that are likely to be at your library, until after your were done spending what you needed to spend. I'm not feeling well and having some computer problems, but I'll start another thread for you soon, or start adding free resources to the oldschool thread.

I was just coming here to post about Book Samaritan...lol. When DH broke his leg last year, Book Samaritan helped us with a bit of curriculum.

Also, it wasn't fun and it was incredibly humbling, but we sent out a lot of emails to different curriculum providers explaining our situation and many of them gave us discounts and some even provided curriculum for free.

Another option could be to give the money to a trusted friend or family member who could either hold the money for you or buy gift cards with it and gift them to you.

Hang in there!

I would give the money to the family I will most likely be moving near. If I'm not sure what family I will be living near/with I will spread out the money between the possible family members.

• 2 weeks later...

No worries about an unstable situation. We were the victims of a ponzi scheme a couple of years ago (the perpetrator is now serving 8 years in prison). We both worked, had no credit card debt, had a comfortable middle class financial situation, shopped at thirft stores because that has always been our style, watched every dollor, but had savings and a safety net and savings for the kids. Then we, along with many people we know, were devastated by a financial crime. Just before the crime was exposed we decided to homeschool. My kids were all born premature, and all have their subtle issues. The schools told us to medicate them heavily for ADHD or they were not welcome to attend (not a public school). We are fairly holistic, and against the idea of medicating for ADHD in general. So we knew that pulling the kids out of school and going down to one income would make things tight. But we can't recover from that crime. We have tried for two years, nearly starving at times, but refusing to file for bankruptcy on pricipal. But we can't make it work any longer. We hate the situation we are in - that we can't take care of basic needs for our family, not because of our own irresponsibility, but that the stigma of bankruptcy is that we did something wrong. So now we must spend our tax return we are about to receive prior to filing, or it will be gone We refuse to budge on the homeschooling, as it is clearly the right thing for our kids. And I know I can continue to do it with little or no budget, for the most part. We are spending a good portion of the return on food - stocking up. But we will soon most likely lose our home and car, and need to move across country to live with family, or into a small apartment, so bulking up too much is also not practical. We can't put anything away in the kid's savings accounts, can't buy gift certificates, can't invest the money. It is like a cruel joke, really. My husband has recommended I get whatever I might need for homeschooling for the long haul now, but that is really so stressful for me - how can I make informed decisions under this pressure, and about a very unknown future? There are worse things in life, and I have to see this as a major positive, but at the same time it is terribly ironic. But we are all healthy, and homeschooling has brought us so much closer, our home is very rich with love. So please, no worries about instability, just trying to make the most of this trial in life, and walk through it with grace and strength, in a way that wil benefit our kids the most.

:grouphug: I am in a similar situation. I had 2 large payments coming in, 1 I got last month which paid off a ton of standard utility bills that were behind, groceries, new sofas, renos on the house etc. The next to come in will be next month. Other than than again paying for a few reno items (like a bathtub surround), and paying the rest of the car insur off for the year to get rid of that stress, the rest is going to be spent asap on things needed for the kids and home, but not electronics as I will be filing for backruptcy as well by the end of May. Any new electronics like ipads could end up needing to be sold in teh bankruptcy. So we are holding off on those even though they would benefit the spec ed kids. I don't have credit card debt, my debts that I am filing for are student loans (will never be able to work to earn enough to pay them off due to spec ed kids), an old debt that should have been done with but just as it expired the company sold it, and now they want 15,000 in interest alone (initial debt was $1800), legal aide from filing for divorce(yeah that worked, still married to him), and our old landlords who want me to pay for paint, etc in our old rental. I have been trying to pay these off for years, paying what I could, and had to accept that I was earning interest faster than I could pay, so despite paying every month I was getting no where and my credit was getting worse. Out here because I have never filed before, am extremely low income, and it is not credit card debts, as long as I take the courses they say and pay my minimum each month to the bankruptcy lawyer I will be discharged and debt free in 9 months. My credit will heal faster from a bankruptcy than continueing to try and pay things off.

Anyway all that to say I get where you are coming from. No stigma from me. I also know what it is like to have to spend asap to prevent it from going poof.

My plan for the montey I have coming in before I file is

• bathtub surround

• hotel/travel/registration fees for homeschool conference and trip to zoo next day(this is essentially our family vacation this year)

• reptile order (snakes and leopard gecko hatchlings all due to arrive in Mayish), Our reptiles have actually become a good thing, I have our first reptile party booked in June, more to come as they get big enough. The parties actually make enough to pay for their care, and hopefully I will start to book enough to cover gas costs each month

• car insurance

• new mattresses for myself, dd5 and ds14

• Garden tiller (2/3 of my backyard is garden but I can never do anything with it because it is just too big to till to start)

• basketball hoop to hang on garage

• Stock pile of printer ink and paper (we lapbook so I go through tons and tons of the stuff)

• Stock pile of laminator pouches, sharpies, glue sticks, coil notebooks etc

• microscope slides(I already have a microscope)

• Looking at some montessori supplies (botany cabinet and geometry cabinet)

• Timeline cdrom from history in the woods (rather than buying each year from SL)

• Ellen McHenry curric (cells, brain)

• corps for rediscovery kits

• considering Konos for the younger 2. Buying 1 volume will cover 2.5 years of school for them if I go that route.

• MUS Beta, Epsilon, Zeta and Prealg (have rest of what I need)

• Queen's homeschool (language lessons for little ones vol 2, and language lessons for elementary)

• R&S grammar 6, spelling 4 & 8

The best part for me is anything that is curriculum or specifically for school I can save the receipts and submit them to our school board in the fall when my new funding kicks in and get it refunded to spend again next year, which will finish paying off the rest of the school stuff I need at that time.

My tiller to be may be the only sticky point. There is a maximum allowable household assets, and when I spoke the lawyer last he said my stuff to date is worth pretty much $200 lol my computer is 6 years old, my tv is 12 yrs old, beds/mattresses are all used (even the new mattresses won't be worth much, just not filled with broken springs). I do have new couches now but by May they will have already dropped in value a lot. I am not sure if they will want to take the tiller. I need it to make my garden useable to grow food to take care of my family, but they may say it is too much(gonna cost me $500+) in which case I guess I will be paying to rent one instead or to hire someone to till it for me, have to double check on that before buying it.

ETA: just saw the update about the IRA contributions so I guess you got it figured out.

You mentioned Hebrew awhile back. "Handwriting Without Tears" hasHebrew writing books, which might be of interest. We've really enjoyed Michel Thomas (far more than Rosetta) for learning conversational languages...but they don't offer Hebrew. However, this might be a good reference http://www.nbn.org.il/aliyahpedia/ulpan-a-learning-hebrew/hebrew-learning/1322-childrens-hebrew-learning-resources-.html

I agree with the iPads (or even consider one or two Kindle Tablets), laptop, printer, etc. That could easily eat up most of your money, but would probably give you the most bang long-term. Of course, buy some extra toner as well.

I'd also look into a trampoline or something for getting out their energy. Scooters, bikes, etc. PE for homeschoolers.

• 2 weeks later...

I would get:

- An all-in-one Language arts program (something like SWR which can be used for teaching reading, spelling and grammar all the way through the elementary years with all kids.)

- Cursive First and some lined paper (again, could be used with all kids)

- Maybe the first couple of levels of Hake grammar for children that will age out of SWR during the period you will not have extra cash

- WWE/ WWS - All available levels

- Whatever you want to use for math

- Atelier Art - a few levels

- Kindle e-readers

- Laptop

- All of the SOTW audiobooks and activity books

- BF Music literature pack

- All the elementary Apologia books

- Personally, I'd want at least some used SL instructor guides, but that's me

You'd be covered for reading, writing, spelling, handwriting, history, science, math and art all the way through the elementary years.

You've already gotten tons of suggestions for fun stuff.

If you know where you will be moving, museum, aquarium, and zoo memberships will all be great. I'd get one or two refurbished iPads (wifi only). You can prepay for lessons for the kids at gymnastics, etc. places I am sure. I'd be careful buying expensive electronics, as I imagine that recent purchases will be looked at carefully by the courts, and you don't want to do anything that could be considered fraud.

Stocking up on food seems really smart. I imagine that if I were in your shoes, I might owe money or favors to family. If that is the case, I'd be sure to repay debts to family/friends.

I would avoid pre-purchasing a lot of curricula since you are new to homeschooling. I'd guess that most of what you'd buy now will get set aside inevitably as you get more experienced and your preferences shift. Good reading books, read aloud books, etc are always useful. If you don't have an e-reader, get one or two, as then you don't have to pay for classics.

You've gotten a lot of great responses, and I've only read the first page so forgive me if what I say is redundant.

Lego Mindstorm was mentioned, but have you checked out Lego Master Builder Academy? That would be a good one to invest in as well.

Tangrams

Pattern Blocks

Unifix Cubes

Art Supplies (check out http://www.dickblick.com/ ) I recommend Prismacolor pencils - they have a softer "lead" and blend nicely.

Classical Kids audio books ( http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Kids-Collection-Various-Artists/dp/B00000212C )

other audio books (we like a lot of the GreatHall Productions http://www.greathall.com/ )

I would also do some of the other things that have been suggested, but I won't trouble you with repeating anymore things. Good luck with your selection process! What a blessing and a challenge!