Menu

Fellow Declutterers: Walk with me through this dilemma

Ginevra

Okay - be sure to read this in a lighthearted manner; I realize this is not the most epic of dilemmas. That said:

I am seriously cutting the junk. I'm writing a book about it. I'm pretty good at getting rid of things with no remorse, but I get stuck on certain things. It's the conflict between frugality and minimalism rearing it's ugly head.

I have an artificial flower arrangement that I made almost ten years ago. It's very nice, though dusty. I'm redecorating and repainting, so I made a new arrangement to go in that spot. (I have a little niche at the top of my stairs.) I'm thrilled with the new arrangement. It's exactly what I wanted and will be perfect with the new paint.

Now the old arrangement is haunting me. I was ready to take it as-is to Goodwill along with a car load of other things, but...it's the frugality thing that's nagging me. I think about disassembling it, so perhaps I can use the components at another time. In fact, the new arrangement was made from a vase that I have had "laying around" for more than ten years, so it's not inconceivable that I may actually re-purpose some of the components.

But then the minimalist argues back. Why keep it? Bless someone else with the arrangment. It's beautiful (after dusting). It could be just what someone wants.

Give me guidance. I should not be at a standstill over one magnificent, though dusty, arrangement. :tongue_smilie:

Dust it. Put it in a bag. Place bag in garage or basement or wherever you won't see it everyday. In 3 months, ask yourself what you want to do w/ it. That's the best I can do, because I'm the same way. As soon as I get rid of something like that, I hyperventilate about it being the wrong decision.

Oh, man! :toetap05: Okay, okay.

Yes, it's a lot easier when you're suggesting that OTHER people toss their stuff. I'm currently avoiding the task of decluttering my own craft stash...

Totally true. I am incredibly gifted at advising other people to toss things. That is super-easy.

You could have a good friend come over and take it away for you. I absolutely LOVE to get rid of things!

My friends all know it and they invite me over to help them. It's a win win for all involved. Sometimes you

just need to look at it with fresh eyes and say "Really, THIS is what I'm struggling with?".

Think of all the things you have decluttered before. Do you really spend time later wishing you hadn't?

Do not avoid the dilemma by giving it as an ostensible Christmas gift to some hapless family member who has expressed no interest in it, then ask about it occasionally every year or so, then go ballistic when you suspect that they may have gotten rid of it (which you learned from grilling one of their children) and tell them you want it back if they don't want it because you put so much work into it. Even though it was really just in their attic because they hated it, had no room for it, but knew there would be h*ll to pay if they couldn't look you in the eye and say they still had it.

Oh, sorry. What was the question?

When I have these dilemmas over seeming "insignificant" items, my go to question is "What's the WORST that could happen if I get rid of this?"

The answer is usually "nothing", but sometimes it is "I MIGHT have to replace it someday."... at which point I decide if the cost to replace is worth it. Chances are even if I keep it, I'll have to pay to replace it anyway because if I keep too many things I won't be able to find ANYthing when I need it.

I vote donate, too. (To be honest, I would probably toss it because I never have good luck dusting silk flowers.) If you keep old supplies to reuse, then your frugal self will insist you do so. You won't be open to new ideas and new materials because you'll be weighed down with the old ones. Donate or toss as a favor to your creativity! :hurray: (That's me cheering you on!)

When I have these dilemmas over seeming "insignificant" items, my go to question is "What's the WORST that could happen if I get rid of this?"

The answer is usually "nothing", but sometimes it is "I MIGHT have to replace it someday."... at which point I decide if the cost to replace is worth it. Chances are even if I keep it, I'll have to pay to replace it anyway because if I keep too many things I won't be able to find ANYthing when I need it.

Such a good point. That has soooo happened. Just recently, I had to buy masking tape because I CAN.NOT.FIND the one we had. Where is it? I have no bloody idea.

I vote donate, too. (To be honest, I would probably toss it because I never have good luck dusting silk flowers.) If you keep old supplies to reuse, then your frugal self will insist you do so. You won't be open to new ideas and new materials because you'll be weighed down with the old ones. Donate or toss as a favor to your creativity! :hurray: (That's me cheering you on!)

That is so nicely stated. It's even something I would say. I'm not sure why I'm being so affectionate about the dang flowers. You're totally right. If it was so important to me, I wouldn't have made a replacement.

I'd say donate it.

Do you have a place for all if your floral/craft supplies? If you do and there is space I might consider dissassembling it and storing it. If you dont have a space to store it then get rid if it.

Not really. I don't even do many arrangements; I make one every few years or so. I don't even normally keep a stock of materials because if I'm going to make one, I'm going to go select the materials I plan to use outright. It only happened that this time, I already had the perfect vase to make the new arrangement, so that was chosen before I bought the new flowers.

I only keep things I know I will use and how I will use them. In theory anything could kept with the vague justification that it might be reused. You know what? You can decide it won't be reused in your house in the future by sending it away to Goodwill and being content with the lovely new one you made to take its place. It's not your Great-grandmother's diamond brooch she smuggled out of occupied (fill in the name of formerly occupied country here) in her cat. It's just an old flower arrangement. Even if you could use it again in the future, it's not worth keeping covered in your limited storage space for years.