Menu

Do you make your new reader point to words when reading aloud?

When I taught in public school, it was pretty standard to have students point -- or follow along with their finger -- when they read out loud.

DD(6.5) and I have been plodding along with reading. She has not picked it up quickly or easily. We've been stuck in CVC-land for months and each reading is laborious (with many breaks and pauses and copious amounts of sighing and distraction).

I've been trying to get her to use her pointing finger to follow along while she reads (she loses her place or guesses after sounding out the first 1-2 letters of a word, ie. saying "big" for "bug") but she fights it. If I didn't stay on her, she'd want to read with both hands beside her, book flopping and sliding around on her lap...

So I was wondering, do you have your kiddos point to the words they read (as new readers)? Am I asking too much by this? Or making too big a deal of it when she doesn't...? (I'm not losing my temper or anything, but having to constantly remind her...)

With my new reader I point to the words as he reads. Sometimes one letter at a time. :glare: For some reason if he wants to point at a word or something he will hold my hand and use my finger to point. I can't just get him to point. :confused1: (He will point and be normal about pointing and what not for everything except when it comes to him reading)

Just letting you know my son sounds exactly the same as your daughter. You're not alone. Ive asked that he follow along with his finger, he's tried it, but it doesn't help him. It's like it takes so much concentration for him to read that adding his finger throws him off even more. So I don't push it. I usually point to the words, but again it seems like it makes me feel better rather than actually helping him.

I don't point at the words when I read, so I saw no purpose in getting my ds into the habit of doing it, either.

I find I get my son to do it, because he needs it in order to read the actual words on the page.

The reason I do it with my son, is he loses his place, or he will guess at the words and say something different from what is written. So I use my finger to bring his attention to the text.

I also tap my finger under pieces he forgets to read, he will leave the "s" off words.... I just point to where he should be reading from. Other times I will trace my finger under the same word more then once till he is able to read it correctly.

With one of my children I would uncover letter by letter to encourage sounding out. For another we color coded parts of words to draw their attention. I have covered all but one word at a time with an index card, then move to holding the . index card below each sentence. Then finally encouraging them to follow along with their finger. Each child is different.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

I played the game above with them when they started guessing words.

I either hold the book and point for her or if she wants to hold the book I do have her follow her fingers along the word as she reads. It actually works better when I do it and I prefer that. She has her moments where she gets distracted but it is getting somewhat better over time. Running my fingers or her fingers along the text does help her keep her place and focus on the word she is reading. When I do it for her it lets her know that she misread the word since I leave my finger on the word and so she has a chance to correct herself if she can. I can't do that when she is reading and have to say something verbally instead.

It never occurred to me to make her do it. She ran her fingers under the line for awhile and then stopped after she got fluent.

Just a suggestion -- can you go backwards a bit in the level of reading? It sounds like shes' getting stressed and making guesses.

When I taught in public school, it was pretty standard to have students point -- or follow along with their finger -- when they read out loud.

When older boy was in B&M public school for Kindergarten, he found it irritating to have to point because he read faster than his finger move. When his teacher does the pointing, her hand kind of block his view. His K and 1st grade teacher accommodate by not asking him to point. He would hold the reading material though and just follow the text with his eyes.

My younger does not like to point because he just thinks it is not useful. He does not find it irritating and don't mind when his teacher points. He reads at a more leisurely speed than my older and so don't mind if the teacher is not moving her fingers fast enough for him to read the next word in a passage. His teachers also allowed him not to point.

So even for my two boys, their reason for not wanting to point is different.

My oldest didn't need to use his finger or any other guide. My youngest did best with an index card with the corner notched out. He slid that along as he read. If he got stuck on a word, or read incorrectly, I'd slide the card back over so he could sound it out.

And, I agree with the above, I wouldn't keep pushing. Back and up and let her read what she's successful at, adding just a bit of challenge as you go along. Reading should be, for the most part, enjoyable, especially once you're reading a book. The challenge should be before that when she's learning the sounds, how to blend, how to segment, etc. Book in hand needs to be at a level she feels confident.

best wishes!

Oooh OOH! We had a total breakthrough on this over Thanksgiving.

I was going insane with my 6 yob. He was very distractible, and his pointing was like moving a wet noodle on the page. I honestly thought he was messing with me and then I would get mad while trying not to get mad, which is not a good place to teach from for me.

ANYway, we cut a little square in a 3x5 card. He moved the card so he could see whatever word he was working on. Instantly, he was better! And it even stuck after a few days with the card- I think he remembered that he only had to do that one word and he finally understood what I meant by "FOCUS!"

It really helped us a lot.

I still bring out a card for him to put under the line he's reading on days when he's scattered. It helps.

I prefer to have my dc hold the book, and then I usually point to the word from the top. That way I only cover up words that have already been read. When he/she is ready to read without pointing, they just brush my hand away. It's a pretty natural process. Also, if they get a word wrong, my finger doesn't move until they get it right. That way I'm not continually correcting them verbally. For whatever reason, my kids get discouraged by continual verbal correction. They much prefer my nonverbal cues.

If I see a problem (skipping words or saying letters that aren't there), I'll require dd to point with her finger. I also encourage her to use her finger to sound out new, big words otherwise she tends to get lost in the syllables. But if she's reading aloud without errors, I don't ask that she use her finger to point out words.

I started by using my finger. Now, we split it. I have DD use her finger most of the time, but I have to stay on her to keep it underneath the words. A lot of times, she'll put it on top or above for no apparent reason. She is bordering on becoming a fluent reader now, so her brain needs to be able to subconsciously see the words coming up. If she's having problems with a particular word or just a bad reading day, I will use my finger to move her along and/or pick up reading speed. She doesn't always need a finger. On her best reading days, she doesn't. She just reads. If she's scatterbrained on a particular day, I make her use it to help her stay on task.