Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, non-believers

Guest inoubliable

I feel the need to confess.....

to putting that delicious man app on my phone.

Carry on.

My guilty app pleasure last month was the Brian Blessed alarm clock. Haven't picked one yet this month.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest inoubliable

My guilty app pleasure last month was the Brian Blessed alarm clock. Haven't picked one yet this month.

Picking that up on Thursday!! LOL. If I can wait that long!

Well, trying to forget absolute stupidity is a GOOD thing! :D

I would agree, but I seem to block the concept so thoroughly that the stupid/crazy/belligerent completely surprises me. Every time. It's disconcerting.

Ooh! 1400! We ARE a chatty bunch.

Hey what do you guys suggest for a planner? I love the Well planned day but of course it is covered in scripture quotes. Any idea?

Do you want something for school or something for everything? I like Scholaric.com for school stuff - it's online, and easy to implement. $1 a month, but there might be a free trial. No bible thumping.

Hey what do you guys suggest for a planner? I love the Well planned day but of course it is covered in scripture quotes. Any idea?

I use The Well Planned Day planner too. I'm thinking of getting individual planners next year. I like the one I have now but even though it has space for 4 kids I can barely fit lessons for the 2 I'm homeschooling now.

I've never found a homeschool planner that works for me, but I only have one kid. Have you looked around online for free planners? Donna Young type maybe? I know she's not secular, but most of her printables are.

Are there any free interactive geometry videos? I like the Khan videos but I'n looking for something that also has problems to work through. My 7th grader is having a hard time with this section of his math.

Izzy, check back with Khan. Many of the subjects now have problems to work through. We've only used them for lower maths, but ds liked the extra practice (and you get to earn leaves!).

Guest inoubliable

I'm using some Donna Young planner stuff. With a few other things throw in. I tried different school planners for the kids but it just didn't fit. We tried some online stuff but it was too complicated and like I need another reason to be on the computer, kwim? Instead, I use a three-ring binder and page protectors for most everything. I keep our year-round schedule, a pocket for library check-out receipts (to keep track of what we read AND I highlight them when we return them), a 180-day check off (someone here posted it, if you want it I'll go dig it up. I use that just to make sure I have *something* to give the school if they ever asked.), Donna Young's reading list, video/concerts/plays/live events (one for each kid - well several pages by the end of the year, but you know what I mean), printouts of username and PIN/password for stuff like XtraMath or KhanAcademy, line-ups of SOTW with HO, Donna Young's Course of Study to have the whole year at a glance, Donna Young's Field Trip Logs, a copy of the local school board's acknowledgements for every year, and the test results from the end of the year (the ones we turn in). All of those are in page protectors in one binder. The only thing I keep year-to-year are the Course of Study pages (to have a record of which curricula we used for each kid each year), the acknowledgements, and the test results. Everything else, with work samples, get scanned at the end of the year and dumped onto various cloud services and an external hard drive.

Now, for day-to-day stuff, I plan in six week terms. I use Wunderlist to keep track of what we need to have done by the end of the six weeks. I used it to have things planned out by the day but that's just not working for *us* anymore. So now I use it to show which books with CHOLL, which chapters in history, which documentaries, which math and science chapters... blah, blah, blah I want done by the end of six weeks. And the kids get it done. Sometimes with weeks to spare. Like this week. :)

Why won't any of that format?? What a blob of information. Whatever. I already typed it out. LOL.

Guest inoubliable

Maybe we should create our own and put quotes from famous atheists in it. :laugh:

That's seriously not a bad idea. Quotes could come from a number of scientists too.

I am totally down for that. I might even attempt something today to keep my mind off of the wait.

Guest inoubliable

Izzy, check back with Khan. Many of the subjects now have problems to work through. We've only used them for lower maths, but ds liked the extra practice (and you get to earn leaves!).

DS12 is working through these right now! That poor kid has such a handicap with math leftover from PS days. :( KhanAcademy has helped so much this year. Y'all (ack! I typed that! And I'm too lazy to change it!) know about BigBrainz Timez Attack for littles? http://www.bigbrainz.com All of mine are playing that off and on. And XtraMath? https://www.xtramath.org

Somewhere we need to have a master list of stuff like this. *sigh* Newbies are dropping by all the time and asking for secular resources. Most of the time, I can't remember off the top of my head.

I am totally down for that. I might even attempt something today to keep my mind off of the wait.

I actually downloaded Scribus (open source desktop publisher) to try and replicate something like WPD, with quotes and checklists that pertain to us, but haven't gotten around to it... I figured I'd either comb bind it or use my Arc notebook.

...a pocket for library check-out receipts (to keep track of what we read AND I highlight them when we return them...

I think this is one of the most brilliant ideas I've heard of in ages. What a simple way to keep track of what my son reads. This is the biggest PITA for me to assemble when his annual eval is due.We usually browse our bookshelves and write down what he's read from that, but I never remember what library books he's read. Thanks!

Guest inoubliable

I think this is one of the most brilliant ideas I've heard of in ages. What a simple way to keep track of what my son reads. This is the biggest PITA for me to assemble when his annual eval is due.We usually browse our bookshelves and write down what he's read from that, but I never remember what library books he's read. Thanks!

Sure! :)

I would love a homeschool planner with science and aspirational secular quotes. I have never found anything I like.

Here is my cheap and lazy alternative. On Sunday I take a sheet of paper, fold it in half and write one of our four main school days on the top of each half as each side. Then I make a checklist for each of the 4 days on each face and place it with the school books. I haven't found anything I like more even though I would like more structure.

Guest inoubliable

I would love a homeschool planner with science and aspirational secular quotes. I have never found anything I like. I am totally freaking out today. Two more realtors have driven past my house and a few other cars that weren't marked as realtors. So. I am totally working on a homeschool planner today. Any input would be fantastic. Keep me busy, ladies!

Here is my cheap and lazy alternative. On Sunday I take a sheet of paper, fold it in half and write one of our four main school days on the top of each half as each side. Then I make a checklist for each of the 4 days on each face and place it with the school books. I haven't found anything I like more even though I would like more structure.

As to the rest....

Did you ever know...that you're my...hero? You're everythinnnnnng I would like toooooo beeeeee..... (We need a singing smilie!)

I looked at the WTP a friend uses and cracked up. She blacked out the biblical quotes but I just don't see the point. I use a $1 planner from Target. If one of you makes a more spectacular planner, I'd be all over that.

Right now I just write the dates we did anything in our books and/or keep track of stuff on my iphone calendar. Then I maintain a file folder of outside activities.

donnayoung.org has all kinds of planner sheets. I use the weekly one -- fill it in, print it out, stick it in my planning binder.

I met this woman once who had a Well Trained Planner all printed out and she had taken it out of whatever binding it comes in and had turned it into this massive scrapbooking project with all the little crapbooking doo-dads and winkydoos. The thing was in the biggest binder thingy I've ever seen. It was monstrous.

She was a new homeschooler with (I think) a grade 1 (or maybe K?) student. I laud her for her ambition if not her practicality. :laugh:

Guest inoubliable

LIke in my siggy?

Yes. I'm quoting you directly in this project. "Get a taste of that old-time religion. Lick a witch." - Audrey

Maybe that Sartre fella, too. ;)

donnayoung.org has all kinds of planner sheets. I use the weekly one -- fill it in, print it out, stick it in my planning binder.

I met this woman once who had a Well Trained Planner all printed out and she had taken it out of whatever binding it comes in and had turned it into this massive scrapbooking project with all the little crapbooking doo-dads and winkydoos. The thing was in the biggest binder thingy I've ever seen. It was monstrous.

She was a new homeschooler with (I think) a grade 1 (or maybe K?) student. I laud her for her ambition if not her practicality. :laugh:

:svengo: I wonder if she lost her mind or pared down as the years went on?

Guest inoubliable

nausea for me. and a 103 fever for the teen. but hey, i posted a 'week in the life' homeschooling blog post. its boring and crazy and makes me feel like I am too school-at-home AND my kids are totally out of control. hrmph.

:( Feel better soon! Poor kiddo, too! Flu?

And hey, hey, hey, lady! Now we need a link to your blog... :laugh:

I looked at the WTP a friend uses and cracked up. She blacked out the biblical quotes but I just don't see the point. I use a $1 planner from Target. If one of you makes a more spectacular planner, I'd be all over that.

Right now I just write the dates we did anything in our books and/or keep track of stuff on my iphone calendar. Then I maintain a file folder of outside activities.

Well, you don't know what you're missing out on.

This week's quote is "The death of Christ is the wisdom of God by which the love of God saves sinners from the wrath of God, and all the while upholds and demonstrates the righteousness of God." - John Piper

It doesn't get much clearer than that.

nausea for me. and a 103 fever for the teen. but hey, i posted a 'week in the life' homeschooling blog post. its boring and crazy and makes me feel like I am too school-at-home AND my kids are totally out of control. hrmph.

Out of control kids? You obviously haven't met my boys. :p

I created a GoodReads account for my boys. They love it. We keep track of the books they read, they can write reviews if they want, and rate books. When it's eval time I simply print the list out.

Well, you don't know what you're missing out on.

This week's quote is "The death of Christ is the wisdom of God by which the love of God saves sinners from the wrath of God, and all the while upholds and demonstrates the righteousness of God." - John Piper

It doesn't get much clearer than that.

Uh... Ok, I recognize all the words but...

Do you ever finally just lose it, demand sane behavior, and find the (previously acting feral) children all gazing upon you like they would the "lady" with the full beard who talks to parking meters?

Or is that just me?

Hope you guys blow off the plague quickly.

Guest inoubliable

Do you ever finally just lose it, demand sane behavior, and find the (previously acting feral) children all gazing upon you like they would the "lady" with the full beard who talks to parking meters?

Or is that just me?

I sorta lost it today. DS8 asked if I needed a cupcake. DS5 said "She'll burn it when she breathes more fire".

I don't think you're alone.

Well, my news is that it's my wedding anniversary today. So far to celebrate, I woke everyone up before dawn to go and get my husband's favorite croissants (and easily the best in many states or perhaps the country) and we are them while we watched the last bit of sunrise.

Then we dropped my husband off at work and I took the boys to our homeschool classes (we do M and W). Day continues per usual. My husband got my favorite take out on the way home and now, now we are getting ready to cut the boy's hair. This will not be fun but it needs to be done. Then stories and bed for the boys. And my dad is coming to sit with two kids after their bedtime and my husband and I are going to go skating very late. Since it is our anniversary I won't laugh at him when he falls down.

We don't do valentines or whatever. We pick out a combined Christmas/Anniversary present together, always a piece of original art or a framed professional art photo. We haven't found it yet this year- sometimes we don't find it till almost the next year. We eloped and were married by the justice of the peace on the 2nd anniversary of when we rashly decided to move in together ~6 weeks after our first date (first date 12/31/1999, rash decision to move across state 2/13/2000, rash marriage 2/13/2002. So 11 years of unholy matrimony. But it's been a happy 11 years and we have 2 great sons. Sons that need those haircuts so, I gotta go!