Menu

What curriculum have you had the most fun with?

Marie131

Ds' faves:

Ellen McHenry anything

Ed Zacarro anything

Aims Edu- a whole bunch but the best, he says, is Amazing Circle

Critical Thinking Company -The Mindbenders with jokes/riddles.

AoPS

Martin Gardner

Heart of Math which we had to stop because the math was beyond him, but he loved the style and ideas. I need to follow up on Prof Ed Burger.

Not loving MCT Island at the moment but perhaps we haven't hit on Mud yet.

Oh good! I have that one in our lineup. I doubt you have hit Mud yet - he is in Sentence Island and you will know!!

Ours:

Zacarro

SOTW - esp. the projects & additional books

Sentence Island

Beast Academy (Well, a love/hate relationship here. Geometry & Algebra = fun, computation = horror)

Hands on Equations

Intellego Astronomy

OK, the 'curriculum' we've had the most fun with is my name picture. An ancient yellow campervan that we spent 6 years 'studying': Australian History, Geography, Science (especially geology, flora, fauna, geography), Bushcraft, map-reading, etc etc etc. We also shared stories, maths puzzles and heaps of learnin' in her.

We've got in and taken off whenever we could, from overnight to 6 weeks around the Western 1/2 of Australia in 2012.

14,500km in 6 weeks, just the two of us!

It died after we got back from that trip, :crying: but it managed to get us home first.

RIP Saffron our Toyota Campervan.

(Edited to correct year)

Edited by Pod's mum

Here are my dds favorites:

Sonlight + extra read-alouds

Miquon (the first 4 books - after that it gets harder and they get grumpy!)

Beast Academy

Our Math Videos

Rosetta Stone

Typing Instructor for Kids

MCT Island level (especially Sentence Island and Music of the Hemispheres)

Bravewriter (especially Tea and Poetry, Keen Observation, and the Communication Game)

Story of the World Audio CDs

Audio books from the library or librivox.org

Art for Kids - Drawing

Educational iPad apps

Gym, Music, and Art class at the local PS

Love this thread...learning about many I've not heard of before!

Last year we really enjoyed GuestHollow's Otter's Human Body Science (it's FREE too!) We started out with Apologia's Human Anatomy but it was too much for a 2nd grader, IMO.

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/otters_science/science_human_body.html

FIAR for K-1st. Can't wait to start with my DD this coming year!

Love this thread...learning about many I've not heard of before!

Last year we really enjoyed GuestHollow's Otter's Human Body Science (it's FREE too!) We started out with Apologia's Human Anatomy but it was too much for a 2nd grader, IMO.

http://www.guestholl...human_body.html

FIAR for K-1st. Can't wait to start with my DD this coming year!

OMG!! I forgot I had this! Thanks so much. We are doing the human body too this year. THANKS!!! I am loving this thread!!

I will add that CM Pet Store Math (under her business math) has been a huge hit.

Also, adding Project Passport Middle Ages to our SOTW 2 has been fun.

And...Human Body Detectives.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are having a blast with science with A Reason For Science curriculum and The Young Scientist Club membership. We also are getting the Little Passport subscriptions for the USA state study and the world study. We are doing more art projects. We switched to Teaching Textbooks and my kids look forward to doing math! MFW Adventures has also been a lot of fun this year.

• Five in a Row - beautiful and fun with younger kids
  • Singapore Math - my kids adore math time now
  • MCT Grammar Island & Sentence Island - my dd actually includes thanks for this program in her prayers
  • Song School Latin (with the DVDs) - they can't wait to find out what happens to Simeon each week!
  • Tin Man Press Waker Uppers
  • Shakespeare study units (created for them by their Dad)
  • Reading great books together.

Tea time (with or without poetry)

Grammar Land (with the free worksheets)

ETC--for some reason my DC love these books

Apologia Zoo 2--they are having a blast with the ocean diorama project!

Little House books--I try to read at least one aloud each year...along with an E.B. White book

Geopuzzles

RS Math Games

board games

sewing with felt (tons of free patterns online)

Draw Squad

nature walks with nature journals

unstructured playtime at the park

field trips of all sorts

--I really need to schedule these more often!

Well, I have others that I'd consider "favorites" for other reasons, but the most FUN ones at our house:

Most fun for me as the mom/teacher -- FIAR and MFW Adventures

Most fun for oldest dd -- FIAR and MFW Rome to Reformation

Most fun for dd #2 -- Apologia science (she loves science) and I'm going to guess MFW AHL as well (for 9th gr.) which she just started last week. She's LOVING it.

Most fun for dd #3 -- FIAR, MFW Adventures, and the Poetry, Bible, Science, and Art from HOD Bigger. (She hated the history part of Bigger.)

• 2 weeks later...

No curriculum. A library card.

When I was my brokest and sickest, I'd just go to the library, grab some stuff that looked good, and just use it. It was easy, fun, and it worked as well as most of the hard and boring and expensive and teacher-intensive alternatives, that I'd switch back to when the crisis passed.

I agree! I went through breast cancer and treatment and still managed to homeschool through it all. It wasn't easy but we made it!

No curriculum. A library card.

When I was my brokest and sickest, I'd just go to the library, grab some stuff that looked good, and just use it. It was easy, fun, and it worked as well as most of the hard and boring and expensive and teacher-intensive alternatives, that I'd switch back to when the crisis passed.

I agree SO MUCH my head is shaking up and down! The years we werei library rats were our best years. We are sort of here now by choice and not by necessity as in the past. We use the library for books and enrichment! They have some cool programs!

Faithe

My oldest ds was a living-a-learning-lifestyle kind of kid, so his library card was probably his favorite thing. :-) As far as curriculum, there were several things over the years that he really liked.

Sister Wendy's videos- she was nicknamed the chipmunk lady

MUS videos- Steve Demme was called walrus man

IEW TWSS- Andrew Pudewa was ferret man

Foundations of Western Civilization from Great Courses with Thomas F.X. Noble whose nickname escapes us

Can you tell he was an audio-visual learner? He also liked Winston Grammar. And, the books from Sonlight's old Eastern Hemisphere were life changing, as he would say was the discovery of Manga, Hayao Miyazaki films, fan fiction, and any and all folklore having to do with dragons. Do these last ones count as school? He seems to think so.

My second ds basically disliked everything, but his ninth grade year with WinterPromise Sea & Sky was his favorite.

The little man also dislikes school, but math and music are the least hated. He likes his private mandolin lesson the best, but that isn't a curriculum. He was fine with Saxon and Hands On Equations. Another vote for MUS- like his oldest brother he also really likes Steve Demme and the nickname walrus man lives on!

Mandy

My oldest ds was a living-a-learning-lifestyle kind of kid, so his library card was probably his favorite thing. :-) As far as curriculum, there were several things over the years that he really liked.

Sister Wendy's videos- she was nicknamed the chipmunk lady

MUS videos- Steve Demme was called walrus man

IEW TWSS- Andrew Pudewa was ferret man

Foundations of Western Civilization from Great Courses with Thomas F.X. Noble whose nickname escapes us

Can you tell he was an audio-visual learner? He also liked Winston Grammar. And, the books from Sonlight's old Eastern Hemisphere were life changing, as he would say was the discovery of Manga, Hayao Miyazaki films, fan fiction, and any and all folklore having to do with dragons. Do these last ones count as school? He seems to think so.

My second ds basically disliked everything, but his ninth grade year with WinterPromise Sea & Sky was his favorite.

The little man also dislikes school, but math and music are the least hated. He likes his private mandolin lesson the best, but that isn't a curriculum. He was fine with Saxon and Hands On Equations. Another vote for MUS- like his oldest brother he also really likes Steve Demme and the nickname walrus man lives on!

Mandy

DS calls the HOE man "Beanie Boy".

We had the most fun in 5th grade using a Christian Science International science text as a spine with heavy supplementation. Simple seems best for us.