Menu

my BIL never ceases to amaze me.....

HappyLady

He's in his mid 50s and has been married for 2 years. It's his first marriage. Since he's been with wife, he's always gotten her lousy gifts. She smiles and thanks him for them, but then tells me how she really feels. Well, I'm guessing I'm going to get an earful this year. My BIL called my DH a bit ago for help with some ideas for gifts. Yes, he's shopping NOW for his wife. First he said he was going to buy a cover for my SIL's Kindle. My DH told him that she already has one (really?? He doesn't know this and my DH does??). Then he said he'd "find something" and they hung up. He called back just now and said he bought his wife a boom box docking station for an iPod and iPhone. That would be great if she had EITHER of those things! My DH told him he should take it back and get something she can actually use. Want to know what my BIL said? He said, "Oh no, she'll be happy! She can return it to Sears and get whatever she wants then!" Seriously??? Yes, I'm sure that's what my SIL has always wanted - a gift she can't use, but can return to get anything she wants...... from Sears. *sigh*

Well. Look on the bright side. He just gave her a big opening....Now she can go out and buy an iphone and ipod for the docking station!

My thought exactly.

We really don't do extravagant or many gifts here, but we do get each other what is wanted. I can say, with absolute certainty, that what I would NOT want is something to return after Christmas. Ugh.

Some people aren't gift people. DH and I could both care less. I bought him a few token items and replenished his work clothes supply. If gifts are important to her, it seems like she needs to say something to him, not you!

Dh and I aren't gift people, so we don't do gifts for each other.

I totally get both of those. We "gift" each other things we need or would normally buy, but use the excuse of a gift giving holiday to justify the purchase.

But I do not get the "I am obligated to give you something so I grabbed something you can't possibly use so you can return it" sentiment. That just seems rude.

I totally get both of those. We "gift" each other things we need or would normally buy, but use the excuse of a gift giving holiday to justify the purchase.

But I do not get the "I am obligated to give you something so I grabbed something you can't possibly use so you can return it" sentiment. That just seems rude.

I totally agree.

DH is out NOW (yes, Christmas Day) buying my Christmas present. He loves gifts, loves getting them, loves giving them, but always puts off the shopping for them until the very last second. Since the stores are open, he's out now.

He hates shopping.

Someone needs to tell him to buy giftcards. He can choose a restaurant or starbucks or retail stores. This guy doesn't know what to get and may appreciate the simplicity of a gift card. Or, the wife needs to tell him not to bother and buy her own gift. She can wrap it and not tell him so he'll be surprised by what she gets.

She really shouldn't vent to you, but her husband. He may honestly believe she's okay with his gift giving ability.

Someone needs to tell him to buy giftcards. He can choose a restaurant or starbucks or retail stores. This guy doesn't know what to get and may appreciate the simplicity of a gift card. Or, the wife needs to tell him not to bother and buy her own gift. She can wrap it and not tell him so he'll be surprised by what she gets.

She really shouldn't vent to you, but her husband. He may honestly believeards she's okay with his gift giving ability.

Yup....gift cards rock!!! Or a certificate for a nice dinner, massage, haircut....whatever.

Dh and I aren't gift people, so we don't do gifts for each other.

Same here. It really is the thought that matters. So he's bad at picking gifts? It's just stuff. It says nothing about his abilities to love her.