Menu

Safe to leave splinters in the skin?

Annie Laurie

My 10 yr old has two splinters in her foot, not tiny, but not huge. They are horizontal in her skin and we can't seem to get them out. I don't want to keep digging in her foot and am not sure what to do next. Is it safe to leave them? She says her foot's a little sore, not terribly. It's not hot to the touch and the skin doesn't look red or infected.

Guest inoubliable

You could leave them in and let them work their way out, but I'm not sure how well that would work on a foot (assuming your DD is wearing socks/shoes over top of the splinters). Have you tried to soak her foot in epsom salt and warm/hot water? I'd try that before throwing in the towel.

You could leave them in and let them work their way out, but I'm not sure how well that would work on a foot (assuming your DD is wearing socks/shoes over top of the splinters). Have you tried to soak her foot in epsom salt and warm/hot water? I'd try that before throwing in the towel.

This is what my mom (a nurse) always says. Hot soaks 3-4 times a day.

My son has had a splinter lodged in his for about 5 yrs now. I took him to the dr b/c we couldn't get it out. [This was after dd had to be hospitalized for cellulitis b/c of a splinter.] He said that it was fine. So there you have it. One child looks at a splinter and needs iv antibiotics and another has one permanently lodged. Go figure. Hope it works out [literally :P] for you .

they will make their way to the surface. I've left them in at times when I couldn't get one out.

they may be painful, they may become infected and swollen. Usually they are only slightly red and inflammed. I did have one in for a week that became very painful, swollen and infected before I was finally able to get it out.

Yep, it'll eventually come out if the splinter is organic material. If it's not (a piece of glass or something), you'll want to have that removed, since the body tends to form scar tissue around that, and it can become irritated. Of course, if you see any signs of infection (rare for a regular old wood splinter, but it does happen occasionally), see your doctor.

Yep, it'll eventually come out if the splinter is organic material. If it's not (a piece of glass or something), you'll want to have that removed, since the body tends to form scar tissue around that, and it can become irritated. Of course, if you see any signs of infection (rare for a regular old wood splinter, but it does happen occasionally), see your doctor.

Thank you. I feel better about leaving it alone after everyone's comments. This is what happens when my kids go barefoot, even in December.

I used this to draw out a splinter, it smells a bit like tar and vets use it all the time. It beats the heck out of infection or having the area jabbed at. If it is good enough for our vet it was good enough for me. The VET knew how to deal with this not our family doc. Go figure. It works like a charm. Hot epsom soaks will soften the skin to permit the foreign object to come to the surface. Soak for an hour then use this http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Drawing-Salve-Ichthammol-Ointment?skuId=705149 .

I have a needle/ sharp things phobic child, and I've always just left them. If it gets infected, it's easy to get out (gross, but easy), but most just work themselves out.

Same child got glass in his heel, the podiatrist actually left it! He said digging around for something so hard to find could damage more than do good. He had worked on a lot of shrapnel in feet in his time (military doc) so I trust him. 4 years later, still there, it has scar tissue around it visible on X-ray but no problems.

I used this to draw out a splinter, it smells a bit like tar and vets use it all the time. It beats the heck out of infection or having the area jabbed at. If it is good enough for our vet it was good enough for me. The VET knew how to deal with this not our family doc. Go figure. It works like a charm. Hot epsom soaks will soften the skin to permit the foreign object to come to the surface. Soak for an hour then use this http://www.cvs.com/s...skuId=705149��.

It took me to the general CVS page and not to the specific product. If you see this, can you tell me the name of it? Thanks!

I used this to draw out a splinter, it smells a bit like tar and vets use it all the time. It beats the heck out of infection or having the area jabbed at. If it is good enough for our vet it was good enough for me. The VET knew how to deal with this not our family doc. Go figure. It works like a charm. Hot epsom soaks will soften the skin to permit the foreign object to come to the surface. Soak for an hour then use this http://www.cvs.com/s...skuId=705149��.

It took me to the general CVS page and not to the specific product. If you see this, can you tell me the name of it? Thanks!

I would also like to know what this is. Is it by chance "drawing salve"? My mom always says to use drawing salve to draw the splinter out. (I don't remember hearing about drawing salve when I was a kid, but she's mentioned it several times the last couple of years.)

I would also like to know what this is. Is it by chance "drawing salve"? My mom always says to use drawing salve to draw the splinter out. (I don't remember hearing about drawing salve when I was a kid, but she's mentioned it several times the last couple of years.)

I am guessing that the link was to ichthammol. It used to be called a 'drawing salve' but it doesn't actually draw things out. It softens the skin, so things come to the surface faster.