Menu

If a party starts at 5:30 and they say there will be food

Jean in Newcastle

If *I* had a party at 5:30, I would serve meal-type food. Also, I'd let everyone know how much food to expect ("We plan to serve XYZ"). But unless I have very specific information, I snack before I go or have a plan to get something afterwards.

What's a typical time for an evening meal in your area? That probably makes a difference.

If *I* had a party at 5:30, I would serve meal-type food. Also, I'd let everyone know how much food to expect ("We plan to serve XYZ"). But unless I have very specific information, I snack before I go or have a plan to get something afterwards.

What's a typical time for an evening meal in your area? That probably makes a difference.

I always try to snack a little before these types of events. When I am hungry my blood sugar plummets, at these types of parties you don't always get to eat right away and most of the time I don't get enough to eat during the party.

I'd expect an actual meal however I would know that this is often not the case. This is a HUGE pet peeve, when events are scheduled at meal time but don't provide an actual meal. If you don't want to serve a meal, pick a different time! You have time to get ready, drive time , a few hrs there and then the drive home- when in the world are you supposed to eat?

I'm having a party at my house next Sunday that begins at 5:00. I'm having finger foods, but lots of it. Several hot hors d'ouvres, several cold, munchies, dessert....it's a LOT of food. People will feel as if they've had a full sit-down meal if they eat some of each.

I'd think that if the party starts at 5:30 they're planning to feed you enough of something to count as the dinner meal.

If there were assigned items, probably-it's been my experience that assigned items means that SOMEONE is bringing a main course-either the organization is doing so, or three-four people are going together to do that as their contribution. If it's "everyone bring something", without , it'll probably be chips and cookies.