Menu

need white elephant gift idea

Bensmom

I saw some really cute Starbucks mugs at Walmart the other day. They were in the Christmas candy section. There were a few different mug choices, and the one I liked (with that Starbucks fox on it) came with a packet of peppermint hot chocolate mix. The mugs were $5.00 each, and were packaged for gift-giving with cellophane wrapping and a gift tag.

It would be a very easy gift, and the mugs look like they cost quite a bit more than $5.00.

silly gift or "gift gift"?

We have had a few $5 gift events so far this year. Some ideas we came up with:

gift cards (Starbucks, local bakery, etc)

uno cards

Our local Walmart has an entire section of $5 gifts which includes flashlights, makeup brushes, key chains, etc.

SkipBo cards

domino set

candy

To the toilet paper comment above--someone brought that one year to a party I attended (the kind where you can "steal" another person's gift) and the TP was definitely popular. It got "stolen" a lot. (You can actually use it! So often you can go home from a white elephant exchange with something you then have to haul to the thrift shop!)

Another thing I did one year (after getting the idea off this board) was to buy batteries and attach a note that says, "Gift not included." People thought that was funny--and someone went home with a very usable gift!

Additionally, food or drink items such as chocolate, an assortment of teas, etc. are usually popular.

Hee hee hee! I really like that stuffed white elephant! Dress it up all gaudy and it would be a tacky pachy!

My Aunt Marge and a certain circle of her friends always exchanged tacky white elephant gifts. There was a small 1930's-era art deco pink elephant bud vase (the bud went into the elephant's trunk) that they had promised to never give to anyone else -- but they HAD to give it the following year to one of their circle at the next white elephant exchange.

You can find some wonderful items at local thrift shops, including such oddities as Farting Frank -- a plastic guy, bent over, battery-operated -- lets out some rip-snorter sound effects. Or there's the ever-popular Christmas reindeer who "poop" brown jelly beans.

One co-worker once brought an outdated MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheet) book (required documents for the work place when you have chemicals on hand).

And one teacher I know asked Santa for loose leaf paper and cap erasers.

Or you can look at the grocery store for some food item that sounds truly outlandish.

Enjoy!

This year, we have the following in our $5 gift exchanges:

Craft Kits (painted rock garden, art materials, paint your own monsters...lots of stuff at Hobby Lobby and Michael's)

Lego's (creator sets around $4.50)

Ken Doll (was $3.50), note attached, "I am NOT a girl's toy" (for a Boy Scout gift exchange...we'll include home made treats, so it's not a total loss...hopefully the movie reference won't be lost on the scouts ;) )

T-Shirt (Angry Birds... it was on sale)

Body Sprays/Soaps (AXE is a favorite for the older boy scouts)

Lava Lamps

3-D Dart Board

Sleeping Mask, nail polish, and some trial-size "pampering" type stuff

Kiddie Hello Kitty misc. stuff.

Five Below also has a large assortment of things in that price range...gloves, hats, games, toys,

One year we did a movie theme, bag of microwave popcorn a $1 movie-theater box of candy and a bottle of coke...movie was one of those daily deals, I believe it was Star Trek).

I ran into some folks tonight who had some more ideas:

Christmas socks

candy canes

kitchen gadget

Home Depot or Lowe's gift card

scented candle

gift bag with a note saying "gift not included" (like the battery idea)

old pocket calendar

curling ribbon spool

wrapping paper gadget that slices the wrapping paper

holiday "gladwrap" or ziplocks