Menu

If you are going out of town for Christmas...

pageta

...do you still bother to decorate? We are leaving on the 21st and returning the day after Christmas. Putting up the tree seems so pointless. It's just one more thing to live around and keep the kids from messing with perpetually. The thought of putting it up just tires me. Am I just being Scrooge?

Meh - I know exactly what you mean. We are leaving the 25th, so we will celebrate at home the 24th. But still, we are going to be gone the following 2+ weeks and I do not want to come home to hours and hours of clean up and there is no way we're taking it down x-mas eve when that's the only celebration we get at home (plus we'll be busy packing). We put up a small, fake tree we happened to have in our attic (we usually get a large real tree). I have tons of other decorating stuff, but I haven't brought anything else out yet. Guess stockings and some holiday toys my dd is clamoring for. BARELY feels worth it.

Not going out of town, but 1 year old twins made me do a hard rethink of our usual decorating plans. I hate to prevent the older kids from having one (plus no real room for a tabletop tree), but I'm exhausted imagining keeping the babies away from it. We've talked about letting them decorate a few dwarf evergreens out front instead, which we never do normally, so that would be sort of a treat for them.

Erica in OR

If you're Scrooge, I am too. We are leaving on the 17th or 18th and won't be home until Jan. 6th or 7th. We will be in our 5th wheel RV, and I am planning to put a few select decorations in there, but definitely not in the house. Just seems like too much trouble.

we are going out of town and are not decorating. We did put out our advent calendar and also are doing our advent book reading, but no tree, no lights, no decorations. That was part of our vote with the kids as to whether to go out of town or not. They will decorate the tree once we get to Grandma's house and we will do our baking there.

Yes!!! We start decorating right after Thanksgiving and decorate the whole house with a tree in every room. They are artificial, so we can enjoy them for a long time. We will be leaving the 21st and won't be back until after Christmas as well. I can't imagine not decorating. We do our personal family Christmas the day before we leave town, then go celebrate with all of our families.

Yes, we decorate in the years we go out of town. We decorate the day after Thanksgiving, and take it all down on New Years Day (or the day after), so it is up for far longer than the few days we are gone.

Same here. Going to the tree farm and cutting down the tree then decorating it and enjoying hot cocoa is one of our favorite holiday traditions. I would terribly miss the tree, and the little ones would be quite unhappy. However, it all depends on what is best for you and your family. We travel every other year; this is our 'in town' year.

Christine

I would put up the tree and decorate if I were going out of town. We will be home for Christmas, but are leaving the 27th and won't be back until the 3rd. Our house is decorated and the tree is up. But, I love Christmas and everything that goes with it. Looking at the tree and other decorations makes me happy. :)