Menu

What are the best pencils?

We nixed Ticonderogas because of the triclosan and broken leads.

I have not had good luck with the yellow Ticonderogas, however the Ticonderoga Noirs have held up better than anything else. They're made with different wood that seems to hold up much better to sharpening. I have no idea if the Noirs have triclosan - the package doesn't say anything about it.

I have no advice on the "best" pencils. We have enough free, and purchased (from PS years) to last both kids through high school, I think. :) I STILL got them each a package of 10 Smencils for their stockings, though. Yes, I'm a sucker for "office supplies", especially ones that smell yummy.

We really like Write Dudes here. They are sold at Target.

I don't know that these are best, but I tried these on a whim this year and have been quite pleased. The lead doesn't break constantly, we don't have to sharpen every three seconds, they're made in USA, and they don't have MicroBan on them (triclosan).

Do all of the Ticonderogas have triclosan? My little dd uses the "My First Ticonderoga" but middle dd uses the silver ones and black ones. I don't know what they are called.

The silver and black ones are the Ticonderoga Noirs I was talking about upthread. I've found them much more reliable than the Black Warriors or the yellow Ticonderogas. I think the wood is denser (it says it's sustainably harvested tropical wood). I think part of the problem with most pencils is the cheap wood - it splinters in the sharpener, and then the lead breaks.

Waaaah!!! Not my favorite pencils! I'm just now hearing about the Microban thing. I still have about 25 Ticonderogas left from an Amazon order from 2 years ago..I don't remember seeing Microban advertised on the packaging. I'm hoping that they're safe. I'll have to try the Black Warriors on my next order. :(

We use Lyra Robinson pencils as our day to day writing pencil. They are very nice and we haven't experienced shattered leads. I bought a box of 144 of them a few years ago and we still have about half the box left so they do last long enough that they get well used up.

Oh, I'm so glad to hear we're not the only ones who have issues with the Yellow Ticonderoga. We bought some before we heard all the rage about them, but goodness me we've had the worst luck with them. I ended up picking up a bunch of mechanical/clutch pencils while in the US earlier this year because I couldn't stand the thought of the other pencils causing so much issue. Now I'm tempted to try these other pencils listed here! ;)

I finally switched to mechanical pencils and have been very happy with that choice. I had to teach the kids not to take them apart (and drop the lead), but they learned that pretty quickly. I also only put 2 pieces of lead in the pencil when it runs out, so if they do take the top off, we're not out a bunch of lead. ;) I use the Pentel pencils with 0.5mm lead. It's also helped my kids learn not to press so hard when writing.

Now off to look up the problem with Microban, as I hadn't heard about problems yet!

Depends on the person. Mirado black warrior are my son's favorite. He needs a round, smooth pencil. Only complaint is the eraser doesn't last the life of the pencil. Dd can't use a round pencil, because she doesn't "have anything to hold on to". I prefer some generic, yellow, number two, made in USA, because of the superfine point they sharpen to. I think they say "American" on them. Ok, I think they might be a division of Bic, but I'm not sure. I haven't had to buy any in a while.

Ticonderogas had been my favorite for years, until I heard about the Triclosan. This fall, we switched to the USA Gold brand (available at Target / made in the USA). I bought the natural, unpainted ones because I liked the look of the wood grain. We have been very pleased with them. Comfortable to write with, sharpen easily, lead doesn't break easily. I do find myself sharpening them frequently, but that could just be due to the fact that I prefer writing with a very sharp point.

This fall, we switched to the USA Gold brand (available at Target / made in the USA). I bought the natural, unpainted ones because I liked the look of the wood grain.

My daughter just started using these. She likes them so far. The lead hasn't broken and we are not sharpening them all the time. So far, so good.

• 4 weeks later...

I went and bought more of the USA Gold pencils from Target because we are loving them. Just wanted to update for anyone else that was looking for good pencils. DD is still using her first pencil, and it hasn't broken once. We are just using a small cheap handheld sharpener and the pencil sharpens easily. Also, the eraser has lasted longer.

Mechanical here.

Paper Mate Silhouette 0.7 for those writing on wide ruled and primary paper.

Pentel Sharp 0.5 for those writing on college ruled and unlined paper.

I find the 0.5 leads break more often, the larger a student is writing; expensive leads break less than cheaper leads. The 0.7 leads show up better on papers with a middle dotted line. The Pentel Sharp drafting 0.5 pencil gives more advanced students a lot of control--the lead doesn't wiggle at all--and works well on college rules paper.

I'm a little obsessive about pencils. Okay, maybe a LOT obsessive. :lol: