Menu

Is this weird?

My dd9 has always shown a STRONG medical field interest. We've supported this as there are many Dr.'s/scientists on dh's side. He's the weird one with a PhD in English. She is very into science experiemnts, etc. She has various things growing, etc. in her room, it's scary really, lol!

So yesterday dh was out "getting rid of squirrels," we're overrun here and dd requested to see if they could look inside the squirrel. My dh is VERY squeamish about this sort of thing, but talked her through a dissection (gloves/mask) and video-taped it. She was very scientific with the whole thing identifying the organs and such. Dh had to work hard to not throw up!

I'm just wondering if this is weird for her age? She is a super animal lover and also very girly, hard core ballet, etc. I'm not one to discourage exploration, but I was a little creeped out. Maybe it was just not somethng I would have done. I'm not sure I should encourage her to tell her friends. Please tell me someone else's kid loves dissection!

Sounds perfectly normal to me. :) I’m a pediatrician now and have never been squeamish about stuff like that. I probably would have done the same thing at that age out of curiosity. I wouldln’t have ever hurt an animal but if there was an opportunity to do a dissection I would have jumped at the chance. I had my appendix out when I was 11 and the first thing I asked the surgeon after waking up was if he has saved it so I could see it.

So I vote normal girl. Or at least normal future doctor girl.

ETA: My 9 yr also loves the few dissections we have done together. I teach a high school Anatomy class at our co-op and my co-teacher and I practiced all the dissections at our house before doing them in class. We did a cow’s eye, sheep’s heart and a fetal pig. All of my kids and all of hers were fascinated and gathered around our table watching us do the dissections.

Alice thank you! She's really the sweetest most caring kid I have! She has always been very observant, etc. and always wants to doctor anyone who's been hurt. She would never dream of hurting anything. I call he the butterfly whisperer becaus she can catch insane amounts of butterflies. I remember when she was 7,we came across a homeschool pig dissection video and she watched it all in fascination. I have a ton of neat things planned for a biology/anatomy course for 5th grade next year.

I would not say a normal girl but def a normal science girl. I have always loved science and nothing really bothers me (except the sound of bones breaking that makes me a teeny bit icky). I was really into genetics growing up so I had a mouse farm and a notebook. I would breed them to see if I could figure out the color of the litter. This one time I had a mother that turned on her own litter and injured them badly. I had to give one of them stiches and he was super tiny. I put his little muscles in place in then sewed him back up and he lived! My dads face was priceless though :). Just make sure to explain to her the dangers of pathogens and proper surgical procedure. Sounds stupid but she needs to understand that everytime she splits something open she is exposing herself to unknown diseases :).

ps I did this on my phone so sorry if there are spelling errors.

My dd9 is the exact same way. She wants to be a forensic anthropologist. She can kill a squirrel with the best of em and yet she has the softest heart for cats lol We raise whitetail deer and hunt them though (we do NOT hunt our penned deer- they are our babies). She was swooning over the Homeschool Science catalog and wants to order everything for dissection. Since she was 2 she would watch my husband butcher deer (he does taxidermy and we process our own meat). Not unusual around these parts :D

I would not say a normal girl but def a normal science girl. I have always loved science and nothing really bothers me (except the sound of bones breaking that makes me a teeny bit icky). I was really into genetics growing up so I had a mouse farm and a notebook. I would breed them to see if I could figure out the color of the litter. This one time I had a mother that turned on her own litter and injured them badly. I had to give one of them stiches and he was super tiny. I put his little muscles in place in then sewed him back up and he lived! My dads face was priceless though :). Just make sure to explain to her the dangers of pathogens and proper surgical procedure. Sounds stupid but she needs to understand that everytime she splits something open she is exposing herself to unknown diseases :).

ps I did this on my phone so sorry if there are spelling errors.

Thanks for that info! The mask unfortunately ended up on the 4 yr old who was trying to be like big sis. No, she didn't have anything to do with the dissection. It was done outside so hopefully that decreasd exposure and she had on gloves.

Normal! How awesome for your DH to assist her. Is there a video we can watch?

Yes and no. I was afraid it post it on youtube since it might be viewed by anyone. And the illegal thing, but we are in SC so I doubt it's illegal:) I was proud of my dh for supporting her, because that is his LEAST favorite thing. His Dad belly laughed when he heard what dd put him up to.

I see no problem with it. If she had gone out and killed the neighbor's cat to dissect it I would have a different response. But I see getting rid of squirrels no different than putting out mouse traps and then dissecting the mouse. Big deal. Then again instead of calling an exterminator to deal with the huge bald faced hornet's nest we had last summer, I waited until night fall, sprayed the dickens out of it and then we dissected that. Not gory like a squirrel dissection, but still something that only those that are either into science, and/or homeschooling would do. I would recommend she NOT tell friends because friends tell moms and you don't want your daughter falsely labelled a psycho. Keep it as one of those stories to share at her med school graduation. Learning experience complete. Maybe next time stick to the earthworms though ;)

Not psycho weird but just typical homeschool science weird. We have not done on field dissections but have observed the decaying process of a opossum, placed beheaded snakes in red ants and watched the cleaning process, dug through the remains of road kill/animal kills to point out the different body parts, as well as collect dead animals for the bones....all in the name of science and learning. I don't consider myself psycho or my kids. Non of this was done with malicious intent or evil joy. Your daughter took advantage of a dead animal, even in death the animal had a purpose. Kudos to your husband.

Another vote for not weird. My kids and dh have done it, and we have the pelt to prove it. :) They have also stitched up chickens after coon attacks—using dental floss. That's a bit weirder if you ask me, but you gotta do what you gotta do with what you have to do it sometimes. Said chickens are alive and laying two years later. :)

Susan

I was doing similar things when I was 11 so I vote not weird. Although I have been called strange by many people. I'm a HUGE animal lover and have worked with a lot of problem horses and dogs so I don't think dissecting coyotes and squirrels harmed me any.

Thanks for answering.

When I had my gallbladder out, they also took out my appendix. I didn't get to see either, but I did get to see the gallstones!

I had a ganglion on the top of my foot surgically removed. I got to see it and was very surprised that something so tiny caused me so much pain and problems (they had to drain it before removing it so it was bigger when still in my foot, but still, rather surprising to see it so small)