Menu

Another board game recommendation?

Samiam

Looking for a board game for the family.

We have Settlers of Catan and an expansion pack. Been a big hit with us for years, and DS9 is just getting into it (he's not been a fan of board games in the past, unable to stay still and focus long enough but finally getting there). Ds6 is still not quite there but we play where he can join or not join, or quit when he becomes antsy with the knowledge that he'll eventually come around since we love board games here.

We have Blokus (love), 10 days in Europe (love), and all the others, ie monopoly, life, Jenga checkers, risk, etc etc etc.

What's a good one, one that's not a mainstream, ie Monopoly, but more cult-like hit, ie Settlers :).

DH and the kids are really into Cleopatra & the Society of Architects at the moment. Here is the blurb from Game Board Geek:

"Designed by Bruno Cathala and Ludovic Maublanc, Cleopatra and the Society of Architects is a fun and engaging family game that includes a true, three-dimensional palace that players compete to build. Players strive to become the wealthiest of Cleopatra’s architects by constructing the most magnificent and valuable parts of her palace.

Players, however, will be tempted to deal with shady characters and trade in materials of dubious origins in order to help them build faster. While these corrupt practices might allow an architect to stay a step ahead of the rest, they come with a high price – cursed Corruption Amulets honoring Sobek, the Crocodile-god. When Cleopatra finally strolls into her new palace, at the end of the game, the most corrupt architect (the one with the most amulets) will be seized and offered as a sacrifice to her sacred crocodile! Only then will the wealthiest architect, from among those still alive, be selected and declared the winner of the game.

“The component design in Cleopatra is the most innovative we’ve undertaken to date,†said Days of Wonder CEO, Eric Hautemont. “While it’s still a board game, the dozens of 3D pieces – Column walls, Door frames, Obelisks, Sphinxes, and Palace Throne – all create the sense that you’re constructing a royal palace.â€

“The game play really forces players into continually weighing the risks and rewards between taking enough corruption to enhance your position in the game, but not so much that you are forced out of the game at the end,†said the game’s co-designer, Bruno Cathala. “It’s a classic ‘push your luck’ dilemma that continually raises the tension level higher and higher until the game reaches its climax.â€

Jackie

We love Forbidden Island: http://www.boardgame...orbidden-island. It's cooperative and fun.

Ticket to Ride might be a fun option. 7 Wonders would be fun for the adults and teen. Attika and Africa are also favorites around here. We love these types of games. :)

I was just going to recommend Forbidden Island! :) Love the cooperative aspect of it!

Ticket to Rideand Carcassone are both good options. Agricola if you have older (10+yo) players. I just wrote a blog post with a review of a couple of our favorites a few weeks ago: Quality Board Games for the Whole Family. Another good option is Spot-it or Drakon.

Qwerkle. Your six year old should get the hang of it quickly.

:iagree: We also like Dominion, but not sure how well it would work for a 6 year old. Another suggestion is Killer Bunnies or their younger age game, Kinderbunnies (which can be mixed in with the Killer Bunnies cards as well). Munchkin is also fun, but you have to sort of already be a gamer (D&D type gamer) to really get it.

We're big fans of Castle Panic - all of us! Our 20yodd bought it with birthday money, and all our kids (20 down to 8) play it together. You can either play cooperatively to beat the . . . .orc? goblin? something like that. . .. or play against each other.

We also love Settlers, if that helps know our taste in games ;)

Hmmm - which one sounds better for 6.5 and 10? Forbidden Island or Castle Panic?

We have both and Forbidden Island is pulled out more frequently than Castle Panic. That may be because my five year old girl prefers it and can play it better. We also have Pandemic which is the superior cooperative game. My son was able to play Pandemic at 6.5 but my middle child probably won't at that age. It's longer than the other two and requires more thinking.

The premise for Forbidden Island is capturing treasure and escaping the island before it sinks

In Castle Panic one is fighting incoming goblin and orc invaders. Perhaps one of the themes would be more interesting to your kids. Castle Panic has a greater allowance to scale the difficulty. It takes a bit longer to set up as there are more pieces. It's also a larger box if space is a concern. My son plays with friends and they prefer Castle Panic. I think they prefer the theme.

My recommendation is that if this game is mostly for your boys then either Forbidden Island or Castle Panic would be fine. If this is a long term family board game then Castle Panic or Pandemic would be a better choice. Pandemic has the most replayability and Forbidden Island the least in my opinion. Pandemic is the hardest to win and Forbidden Island is the easiest. Castle Panic is in the middle in both regards.