Menu

Knitters.....what are you knitting for holiday gifts?

Wondering what you've got on the needles for holiday gifts? I'm thinking about starting some funky cabled gloves, but of course I've been all through my gigantic stash and cannot find ANY suitable yarn, thus necessitating a trip to Webs!

What are you knitting, for gifts or otherwise?

astrid

A teapot I meant to make last Christmas and didn't. It's improvised by sewing the cloth I knitted with a plastic needle and some yarn. I stuffed a sock with stuffing and sewed it shut to go inside it. It's two knitted cloths, one color for the top and one color for the pot, well, and a third color for the handle. I still need to make the spout.

I'm knitting each of my boys - I have four- a man cap http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/man-hat-2; two thorpe hatshttp://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/thorpe-one for my neice and one for my nephew; a boxyhttp://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/boxy for my oldest dd; and I'm in the middle of a sweater-http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/black-eyed-susie-raglan for my 2nd oldest dd. Whew! I must be nuts.

For my boys: Zsa Zsa Hats, striped mittens and one of the monsters for each of them out of Rebecca Danger's Knitted Monsters book. I'm mostly done with the monsters and one of the Zsa Zsa hats.

For the baby I've already finished a stranded hat for her as well as the Helena cardigan. I'm going to knit her some little thumbless mitts too, and I may knit her another cardigan too.

For my husband, a very plain stocking cap as requested. I'm saving that one for last since it's easy to muscle through rows and rows of 2x2 rib. I tried to get him to choose something a little more exotic, but he's a plain sort of guy when it comes to his clothing.

For my mother some stranded mittens at her request. I'm down to the thumbs on both, so nearly done thank goodness!

And for myself I'm hoping to finally finish up my Citron Shawl. :)

I've made two pair of socks, two cowls, one hat, two lace crochet cowls, one crochet shawl, one knit lace scarf, two lace crochet scarves.

I still have two pair of socks to go, a scarf, and a pair of fingerless mitts that must get done.

From there it's a shoot. All of the kids want old fashioned stocking caps, I want to make the girls fingerless mitts and perhaps some boot cuffs. I would have liked to make them the Kinsa sweaters, but I think I should have started all of that last January...

I just finished an afghan for my mother-in-law and one for my sister-in-law. It was a really easy 4 row repeat mock cable pattern with fringe at the ends. They turned out so pretty and fast (7 days each for large afghans) to do that I'm going to do the same pattern for both of my sisters too.

I'm making toys for my dc even though some of them are a bit old for toys. :tongue_smilie: A kitty for the cat lover, an Adipose for the Doctor Who fan, and a penguin for the one planning to study computer science in college. I also just heard about a family in need and I'm going to make socks for some of the dc. We'll see how I do on those. I can do simple socks while supervising dd's schoolwork so I should be able to get some done while saving my "focus" time for the toys.

A string bag out of a linen yarn. This is my first time knitting with linen--I like it! Just finishing up the long strap which is mindless but boring.

Once the bag is finished, I plan on making this bib. The pattern creator may call him Fred but he looks like Lyle, Lyle Crocodile to me. (I love the Lyle books!)

And of course there is always a pair of socks going..

I'm working on this for my sister. I'm a bit more than 50% done with it so I'm hoping I'll be done in a week or two. And then I've got this, this, and this queued up.

Now I need to find someone who needs an owl hat -- I love it!

The other stuff is great too, by the way -- that shawl is gorgeous, and you're the best sister in the world to be making it for her.

Can you link to a pattern?

I got the pattern out of a book called, 7 Day Afghans, but it is identical to the pattern on this site: http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/a-mock-cable-fisherman-knit-afghan/

It makes a really soft and warm and stretchy afghan. I'm a spinner so I usually only knit in my hand spun wool but I was afraid my relatives wouldn't remember not to throw it in the wash so I used Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn, yarn. On size 10 needles it took 5 skeins (I think they are 320 yards each) - including finishing the fringe.

You guys have inspired me! I learned last year then put it up for the entire spring/summer so I am relearning. I think I wills tart very simple and make potholders or dishcloths. Kinda lame but anything more will not get done! And really who doesnt need a rag? :laugh: Off to look for easy patterns.

Well, I'm a crocheter, not a knitter, but I've decided to expand my horizons and trying knitting some dishcloths for my MIL. After about 10 start overs, I texted my mom to see if I should knot after the first row. That helped a lot and since then I only had to do one start over before I figured it out. Now I'll have to wait until I get to the decreases and then will go back to watching tutorial videos.