Menu

Ticket to Ride

I was considering getting this for my kids for Christmas, so I'm glad to see a thread on it. What ages would you say it's appropriate for?

DD has played it since she was seven. We had to go slow and be patient the first few times we played but now she's a pro.

It looks like I'm in the minority as I don't care for it much. I feel that it is repetitive and dull. Most turns are just drawing cards. There is very little tension or need to think in the game.

I do enjoy board games. Our most played are Pandemic, Dominion, Seven Wonders, and Through the Desert.

I don't like board games. For some reason I do like Ticket to Ride!

:iagree: almost. Well, I like a few board games, but I absolutely love Ticket to Ride. We play it just about every Sunday. Yesterday, we played the Asia version (last Christmas' addition to our collection). This year, Santa better bring me the Africa board.

We have the Europe (our first), America (bought it when we evacuated the fire and were stuck inside because of smoky air in the house we evacuated to), Germany (not my favorite but still fun), Switzerland (tons of fun), and Asia...

It is also online...

It looks like I'm in the minority as I don't care for it much. I feel that it is repetitive and dull. Most turns are just drawing cards. There is very little tension or need to think in the game.

I do enjoy board games. Our most played are Pandemic, Dominion, Seven Wonders, and Through the Desert.

When you play using the destination cards, it can get very competitive and strategic. If you're just drawing cards, you're not playing it right. ;)

However, you are more than entitled to dislike the game. :D

When you play using the destination cards, it can get very competitive and strategic. If you're just drawing cards, you're not playing it right. ;)

However, you are more than entitled to dislike the game. :D

:iagree: We only have the iPad version (no toddlers to disrupt the game board), and I find it a nail biter. My husband and I play each other, but we also play online, and it can get testy! We have the USA and Europe expansion.

We own, have for years. Even with the destination cards we feel it is repetious and dull.

We have a most played list like yours.

I wonder what other sort of games people have tired when they say how fun and interesting Ticket to Ride is? (Asking in a polite manner even if it doesn't sound that way.)

Right now are newest favorite game is Seven Wonders. It's quick, it's easy. It's not pure strategy (Like Agricoal) so even my youngest will play it.

How do you all play Ticket to Ride? Are you very aggressive with blocking routes for others just to block them? If you do play this way, does anyone ever complete a destination? Do you all choose more destination cards after (and if) you achieve the ones you initially drew? Or do you just play for random points after completing your first two destinations? My oldest son is getting into the aggressive/competitive part of the game, which is tough on the little guy. I'm also wondering if it will continue to be fun to play if everyone is trying to disrupt other people's routes. I like to complete destinations, personally. I think I'd be frustrated if I could never complete a destination.

I like Ticket to Ride but it does fall on the easier/friendly side of family games. Its good for new gamers and gaming with kids 6+.

Competition for routes is one of the more fun things about the game, otherwise its just a set collection game. Its good strategy to take extra cards, especially once you have a longer route built (often new routes are already covered or take few trains to complete). Most boards don't have too much competition until well into the game (near the end when things are full). If you find it a little too tight go for a larger board. Europe has a lot of space and can usually accommodate more routes. Also, as you get to know the game you know the bottlenecks on the board and you reserve your spaces early.

Dh and I play the 2-player Scandinavian board while watching tv. Its tighter than most of the other boards but the limited strategy makes it easy to multi-task.