Menu

October Crafters thread

Oops! Where did that month go?

I managed to do absolutely nothing other than a collage for an online study group, which is an achievement greater than the absolutely nothing at all last month, but still isn't much.

It was amusing though. Dd scored a new Barbie doll out of it because I needed some Barbie shoes and it was cheaper to get the doll than buy an outfit separately!

Anyway, as penance for my utter slackedness, I'm about to put on my Picnic to Hanging Rock dvd, which arrived in the mail last week and sew badges on my blanket.

Now, what have you darlings been up to? And what shall I make my boy for Christmas?

Rosie

Rosie you have done more than me.

I have been doing teaching rounds in a primary school for the last few weeks. I have had time for nothing at all.

Well you have been spending your time productively. I have been gardening, bumming here, and drove to Coober Pedy. Not nothing but you win the good girl competition. :tongue_smilie:

Hi Rosie and crafters all! I love these threads!

After frittering away the summer months, I picked up the knitting needles again. I finished the second of my son's bamboo socks (Ravelry pattern here.) It took me four months to finish the second sock! Sloth award for me! I need to finish the strap on a market string bag that I started working on in September. I had put it aside to have a small project for plane travel. Progress made there: Leg finished and I am working on the heel flap of a sock for my husband. (Pattern here.) My former sock knitting rate was one a month but after summer distractions and a general funk I became an even slower knitter than I usually am. I am certainly picking up some speed with this newer project.

Sewing wise I did nothing in October although I did make a bib yesterday and cut some fabric for drawstring storage bags which a family requested I make for her. She actually handed me some old "flower power" 1960's sheets and asked me if I could repurpose them for her.

This is a great time of year to follow the Sew Mama Sew Blog. November is Handmade Holiday month. While most of the projects are sewing oriented, there are also some embroidery projects, papercraft and recipes that appear.

I am wondering if I should start a weekly Handmade Holiday accountability thread. This could be for crafters and bakers alike, maybe offering links to ideas. Any thoughts? Would it be overkill or just Too Much Pressure?

Jane

Edited by Jane in NC

finished a crocheted baby blanket and have been steadily working on another for my brother for Christmas. I have a scarf I want to start for myself and some socks for my DD for Christmas. I'm also attempting to come up with some new designs for my wedding ring. The current one is just not good since it's so jagged that I've lost 3 diamonds and risk loosing the main one. I keep having the prongs repaired,had two diamonds replaced, and the jeweler has mentioned that it may be time to look at something new. So DH and I discussed having the stones reworked and adding some from another ring I have. I've looked at so many rings online that my eyes hurt...I have a marquis setting; they are not the easiest stones to design around. :tongue_smilie: I think DH is glad that he now won't need to buy me a new one, lol.

I finished an aghan I made for my neices wedding. I will post a pic later. I am really happy with my "leftover" afghan. I used up some bits and pieces of yarn that were too small for anything else.

Sewing projects - lots of jammies for the grandkids. Finally got them all fixed up in summer/fall jammies and now they all need fleece ones for the winter! They all ( 6 of them) have fall birthdays, so I make them PJ's.

I made a maternity t-shirt for my DIL. Patterns are really hard to come by in maternity, well, cute ones anyway. So I had to make up my own. Turned out pretty cute. She's wearing it, and I forgot to take a picture. I cut a regular t-shirt pattern longer ( 6 inches) and then the front is 6 inches longer than the back. Put some gathers in the side around the belly area..and it's adorable!

My christmas project list gets longer every day. I hope to have quite a long list for the November update!

She actually handed me some old "flower power" 1960's sheets and asked me if I could repurpose them for her.

Ooooo, I have found several of these in thrift stores over the years - I adore them!!! I've made pillowcases and curtains and bags out of them.

OK, I think I finally have some pictures of recent projects to post. They are hats I crocheted for some baby twins, "sunglasses sleeve" (it slips over the lenses instead of enclosing the whole sunglasses), and reversible cotton padded bags with adjustable straps that I'm selling in craft fairs right now. In my signature is a picture of cotton hats I've crocheted for sale, too.

Dd10 is the crafter in our family with my help.

She made one of those melted crayon "pictures".

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-758jwu3hQJ0/UGJP1zh8ICI/AAAAAAAAACE/SqDxBwwkBfo/s1600/IMG_2363.JPG

And a copy of a Van Gogh painting in pastels.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RToAnbSw0kY/UGDXGoRElCI/AAAAAAAAAB0/6-TuUSOLz_4/s1600/IMG_2350.JPG

Right now she's working on a model Viking longboat. She's (we're) almost done.

Two pair of socks, one shawl crocheted, cowl still on the needles and almost done except for me forever running out of the yarn, and a lace scarf on other needles I'm almost finished with. Of, and one hat.

I need to sew. I don't want to sew. I am almost hating sewing. I want to love it again, but I just don't, it's such a chore...

Dd decided that she needed to be Hermione Granger for Halloween....I bought a robe & time turner, but made the wand, sweater, hat & mittens (it was a bit chilly here). She made a GREAT Hermione. Including trick-or-treating, she got to wear it to 4 events. She'll be wearing the knit items all fall/winter, I'm sure.

I've also been knitting some toys. Once or twice a year I seem to do this. :tongue_smilie: The striped ones are attached & reversible. Very fun to make.

post-12282-13535087809483_thumb.jpg

post-12282-13535087809757_thumb.jpg

post-12282-1353508780987_thumb.jpg

post-12282-13535087810117_thumb.jpg

post-12282-13535087810361_thumb.jpg

It took me four months to finish the second sock! Sloth award for me!

Sloth award? 4 months isn't even long enough to have it designated as a UFO! :lol:

You gals are cool. Especially that frog. I'd just love to find one of those in my Christmas stocking... :blink: