What are you doing for 2nd grade?

michaeljenn

Math: Miquon, Life of Fred, math games

Phonics: All About Reading 2

Spelling: All About Spelling 2

Handwriting: Copywork and handwriting iPad apps

Grammar: The Sentence Family

Literature: 30 minutes silent reading and daily family read alouds

For the other content subjects (history, geography, science, art, music, Latin), we belong to a co-op that has weekly memory work. I supplement the weekly memory work from co-op with SOTW 1 for history and BFSU for science. many of our read alouds will correspond to the content areas, though I don't obessive,y plan it.

If I didn't have tons of interruptions from the littles, we could be done with skill work in two hours a day. Another hour or so for content stuff, but my kids don't really consider that stuff "school."

This is what my dd is doing this year for 2nd. FWIW I think ds's second grade year will be completely different....:tongue_smilie:

Bible: Bible Study Guide for All Ages, TRUTH 66 Bible Drill

Math: Math Mammoth 2B-3A

Language Arts:

All About Spelling 3-(start 4 when finished)

Sonlight grade 3 readers (finishing up and moving onto grade 4/5 readers soon)

Explode the Code 6-8

FLL 2

WWE 2

Zaner Bloser 2C cursive

History: Biblioplan Medieval

Science: Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy

Basic Spanish immersion

Last year my younger dd did Rod and Staff 2nd grade math, spelling, English, phonics, and penmanship for her core work.

We did SOTW4 for history/reading/narration. She read books from the library. We started the year with books from Sonlight's 2nd grade reading lists.

We were finishing up WTM style 3rd grade chemistry the 1st half of the year, and then moved into the 4th grade style physics the 2nd half of the year. She tags along with her sis. She mainly participated in experiments, but instead of writing up lab sheets, she made a diagram and wrote a narration of each one. She participated in a hs science fair, choosing her own experiment and working for several weeks on it.

Ambleside Online --Sometimes Five in a Row

Copywork --Sometimes Pentime

Primary Language Lessons--Sometimes Learning Language Arts Through Literature

Rod and Staff Math--Sometimes math games and Everyday Math Stories

Speedy Spanish

On free days we will do any of these: art study, composer study, nature walk.

My older is technically 2nd grade this year. He is doing:

Math: Beast Academy 3B & 3C, AIMs Activity Books on Area & Perimeter, Fractions, and Double-Digit Multiplication, Hands on Equations

LA:

Michael Clay Thompson Island Level

AAS 3

Sopris Rewards Intermediate Phonics

Singapore Sentences to Paragraphs

FLL 3

History: SOTW 2

Science: GEMS Earth, Moon, and Stars, Engineering is Elementary Aerospace, GEMS Stories in Stone, Engineering is Elementary - Materials Science, and either GEMS Plate Tectonics or River Cutters or possibly both if we have time

Formal stuff my second grade-age kid is doing, in order of frequency:

Interdisciplinary: MBTP 6-8 (combined with little sis)

Math: Beast Academy 3/MM3

LA: Bravewriter methods

Science: Intellego Solar System unit study and BFSU

Loose history (renassaince/elizabethans/age of exploration) organized by moi with Usborne spine

And more interest-led projects and reading than you can shake a stick at. We do that formal-ish stuff listed above in kind of an informal way. I think we'll probably be getting more unschooly as the kids age; I am lucky that they seem to be self-starting types.

Edited by jar7709

Bible: Egermeier's Bible Story Book

Language Arts: Primary Language Lessons, ETC 6 (finished and decided we didn't want to keep doing ETC), Rod and Staff Spelling 2 (will probably start 3 this year too), Easy Grammar 2, Reading Comprehension workbook

Handwriting: Zaner-Bloser 3rd grade cursive, homemade handwriting sheets using Awana verses

Math: Singapore Primary Mathematics (Standard ed.) 2A/2B

Science: Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

History: Story of the World 1 - Ancient Times

Latin: Song School Latin

Spanish: Salsa Spanish

Ds7 is doing:

Math: Singapore Math 2B & 3A

Reading: Sonlight Core D/Core 3 Adv Rdrs

Writing: HWT 3 & 4, journal writing, and independent writing using the writing process

Literature/History: Sonlight Core D/Core 3

Science: WTM-style study of Earth Science and Astronomy

French: L'Art de Lire 1 & 2

Art: Artistic Pursuits K-3, Bk 1

Music: piano lessons

He spends about 2 hrs working each day, plus an addition 1-2 hrs of independent reading.

Math: Saxon 3

Logic: Building Thinking Skills 1

Greek: Hey Andrew 2

Latin: Latin's Not So Tough 2

English: Logic of English

Writing: Logic of English Cursive followed by Classically Cursive, IEW Level A (either Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales or All Things Fun and Fascinating), composing letters/thank you notes, etc.

Reading: Veritas Press literature with the guides and other living books

All other subjects: CC Foundations program and enrichment to go along

Other Memory Work: Character First, First Catechism, Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization (IEW), and AWANA

In Summer:

Math supplements: Ray's Arithmetic, Five Minute Drills by Susan B. Anthony, Singapore workbooks by Carson-Dellosa, Activities for the ALAbacus (Right Start)

History: Veritas Press Old Testament/Ancient Egypt

Bible: Veritas Press Genesis-Joshua

Science: Nancy Larson Science 3

For my dd7 we are using

Math- Singapore math 2A and 2B and using Math Mamoth for a supplement.

LA - FLL2, AAS level 2, Bob Jones Reading 2 although not using the workbook, Memoria Press Liturature studies for grade 2.

History - SOTW Ancient Times till January and then Middle Ages, Famous Men of Rome, and lots of story books.

Science - Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, God's Design for Heaven and Earth as extra reading using their World of Animals and their World of Plants. We did Real Science-4-Kids pre-level 1 Biology and Astronomy for the fun of it at the beginning of the school year. We also did a study of the human body over the summer for the fun of it.

Art - ballet, Simply Charlotte Mason Picture Study Portfolios, the Composers' Special, and piano lessons.

I feel like I'm missing something in my list but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Here's what we do daily-

Math-MEP

Phonics-ETC and phonics pathways

Spelling-AAS

Handwriting-HWOT and copywork in grammar and history

Grammar-LLATL

History-SOTW

Reading-read aloud to me for half hour, read to herself for 15 minutes and narrate to me.

Literature-I read a chapter of our current book, she narrates, and does the Lapbook component from CoaHS

We do a few times a week/supplement with-

Miquon, LoF, and cuisenaire rod videos and activity books

Logic

Bible

Poetry

iPad/online games or art lessons

This is my dd's first year at home so she is still catching up and getting used to being homeschooled. I guess this would be "grade 2 lite." ;)

Math: Singapore 1B/2A and Miquon Red/Orange

Writing: WWE1, Zaner-Bloser cursive, daily sentence editing

Science: Evan-Moor Read and Understand Science units, living books, DE streaming

History/Geography: SOTW2, geography activities and a geography workbook

Literature: Junior Great Books 3

Electives: Draw Write Now, ballet, guitar

I bought several other things for her but it was just too much. I had to back up a bit in a few subjects (math) and take a few programs totally out (MCT) for now.

ETA: She's a natural speller so I haven't bothered with Spelling Power, but I did use it with my ds at this age. Also, I do teach grammar, but I don't use a program at this level. We just jump into FLL3 in third grade.

Edited by Element

Last year:

Math: Math Mammoth 3

English: Galore Park Junior English 2, WWE 2, AAS 1-3, Teach Me Joy Cursive

History/Geography: The Complete Book of US History + Guesthollow booklist, The Complete Book of Maps and Geography

Science: Galore Park Junior Science 2, Intellego Astronomy

When she did second grade work:

Math: Math Mammoth 2, Two Plus Two Does Not Equal Five

English: Galore Park Junior English 1

History & Science: Oak Meadow Second Grade, GEMS (Involving Dissolving, Liquid Explorations, Secret Formulas)

dd#3 will be promoted to 2nd grade in Jan. She'll be continuing with:

SOTW 1 w/activity guide

Lapbooking through Biology

Abeka math (Miquon-style)

WWE (should be starting 2 around Jan-Feb)

FLL (should be starting 2 around Jan-Feb)

Spelling using Spell to Write & Read

I'll be adding in an additional map skills program twice per week that should only take a semester to finish.

She'll do something different in the fall for her second half, but I'm not sure what yet. ;)

Too much. I blame the Hive. :tongue_smilie:

Singapore 2B, 3A

MCT Island level

Winning With Writing 2/3

Galore Park Junior English 1

A Reason for Handwriting C

SOTW 1, thinking about switching to or adding Sonlight...

Complete Book of Maps and Geography

Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy

+ hours and hours of reading and read alouds

Math: RS C and LOF (just started this, apples, now butterflies)

Spelling/Phonics: AAS

Reading: Junior Great Books

Writing: Writeshop C

Penmanship: HWT

Science: Singapore Earlybird

History: SOTW Ancients

We also do PE co-op, violin, piano, musical production, and cub scouts

I had to go with something pretty hands-off for science, and Earlybird serves that purpose. I would like to get back to BFSU, but I am still struggling to get through the day with three in school. We had been using ETC online, but DS hates it. He doesn't mind the workbooks at all but he doesn't like the online version. Weird. Anyway, we ditched it. AAS covers all we need at this point.

I like Writeshop for my boy that hates to write - it is as gentle as I need, but well structured and designed. I love Junior Great Books - I only wish we had a co-op class to do this with because the bt part is the discussion. It teaches very early on the process of thinking about what you read in order to understand it better. It also teaches how to write about what you read, and support your ideas with evidence from the text.

it is lovely to see what everybody else is doing ...

daily:

Progressive Recorder book 1

Song School Latin & Getting Started with Latin

Getting Started with Spanish (dropped -- see ETA)

math: Singapore Math Sprints drill, 2 oral drills, a combo of MEP & Singapore

Evan Moor Grade 2 Spelling

Winning with Writing 2

Growing with Grammar 2

Zaner-Bloser Cursive grade 2

a couple literature read-alouds (mostly from Sonlight)

independent reading (3rd Grade Detectives, Magic Treehouse, Boxcar Children, &c)

poems from Shel Silverstein

also:

SOTW2

AO Year2 (without Trials & Parables)

Science (taking it in chunks -- GEMS Terrariums, Magnificent Machines, various Schlessinger titles)

EvanMoor Daily Geography (we do a week's worth or so weekly)

National Gallery of Art Activity Book

some Core Knowledge sayings &c, some Jr. Great Books readings -- about 1 saying/week, the readings are quite sporadic.

-- for November and December we're trying splitting science and history out: a lot of history in November, a lot of science in December.

ETA: some of the schedules seem fuller than mine, and we're doing A LOT ... Button is accelerated in several areas (not writing!) and I'm trying to develop strong academic skills a la WTM and strong skills working with complex materials a la Ambleside, and keeping a CM balance of arts, nature, exercise with character at the center. I don't know how all this will pan out in the longer run, we're still finding our rhythm. The payoff is that this is a joy, albeit a lot of work -- we are getting the deep, rich, well-rounded education & oodles of outside time I'd hoped for when I began. also ETA: after posting this, we ended up dropping Spanish 'cause our load was too much.

Edited by serendipitous journey

may I ask how you are liking the GEMS Earth, Moon, and Stars?

It is just alright. It is pretty basic. Quite honestly, ds has already knew all of the info in the book, but I didn't know that he knew it. We've heavily supplemented with documentaries and Pac Sci Center Planetarium/Egyptology constellations and mythology (King Tut is in town right now). Ds is a mythology nut, so he has really enjoyed the constellations and their origins and the differences between Western and Eastern and Egyptian constellations. That has probably been the best part of the study for us (but admittedly not in the GEMS book). We had issues with the moon study b/c of too many clouds here, which may not be an issue in your location, but since ds had already taught back to me the moon concepts we just moved on. We finish it up this week with creating our own constellations and constellation myths. :)

Math-Beast Academy 3

Spelling-Spelling Plus +Dictation Plus

Writing-Writing with Ease 2

Reading- Webster's Speller

Penmanship- Logic of English Cursive

Literature- Read alouds and Silent Reading- Good Books

Science and History- Interest led- documentaries and books. Exploring in the yard and various things we decide to try- discussions and projects with Dad etc.

Religion- Readings and discussion from the Catechism, Bible and Saint Stories over breakfast

Edited by soror

Everything in my signature :)

Your siggie will change over time -- I don't know if you want to trouble writing it out at the moment for posterity ... :)

It is just alright. It is pretty basic. Quite honestly, ds has already knew all of the info in the book, but I didn't know that he knew it. We've heavily supplemented with documentaries and Pac Sci Center Planetarium/Egyptology constellations and mythology (King Tut is in town right now). Ds is a mythology nut, so he has really enjoyed the constellations and their origins and the differences between Western and Eastern and Egyptian constellations. That has probably been the best part of the study for us (but admittedly not in the GEMS book). We had issues with the moon study b/c of too many clouds here, which may not be an issue in your location, but since ds had already taught back to me the moon concepts we just moved on. We finish it up this week with creating our own constellations and constellation myths. :)

thank you! and for the reminder to have him teach things back!

Edited by serendipitous journey