Menu

About to throw chicken in the crockpot for soup. Spices?

Before I go to work, I want to put the crockpot on for chicken soup (maybe noodle, maybe rice).

I'm not a good cook.

I usually put in some garlic (or powdered garlic), S&P, and maybe some other random spice. I don't do Indian and don't want to do Mexican (tortilla).

So...

What's in your basic chicken soup?

(I'll throw in an onion and some celery/carrots, chopped and sauteed a little before they go in.)

Ok, I used boxed broth, put in chicken breasts, thyme, S&P, garlic powder, carrots and celery (but didn't stir 'em up in the pan first...). I'll add onion when I get back and take the chicken out and fork it--y'know, whatever that's called...SHRED--that's it. :D Then I'll add in back in at the end. I think I'm going with noodles, if Dh bought some yesterday. I make those separately and add them in at the end.

Oh, I also put a tiny squeeze of lemon in it--just for brightness. Actually, just to feel I'd done something gourmet. HAHAHAHAHA!

I'm rather hopeless in the kitchen!

Ok, I used boxed broth, put in chicken breasts, thyme, S&P, garlic powder, carrots and celery (but didn't stir 'em up in the pan first...). I'll add onion when I get back and take the chicken out and fork it--y'know, whatever that's called...SHRED--that's it. :D Then I'll add in back in at the end. I think I'm going with noodles, if Dh bought some yesterday. I make those separately and add them in at the end.

Oh, I also put a tiny squeeze of lemon in it--just for brightness. Actually, just to feel I'd done something gourmet. HAHAHAHAHA!

I'm rather hopeless in the kitchen!

Sounds delicious. I usually just throw the noodles or rice in about 30 mins before I want to serve the soup. Just make sure you have enough broth going. Add some water or chix broth in if you need to.

No reason to dirty another pan!

The chicken and rice soup that I make in the crockpot uses herbs de provance (sp?). It's really easy (and gluten-free if that matters). Cooked chicken in pieces, 1 C. brown rice, finely chopped celery and carrots (or your favorite veggie), the herbs, and several (5-7, I forget) cups of chicken broth. Let it cook all day on low. All my picky eaters eat it!

Layer the bottom of the crock pot with onion, celery and carrots. Lay the chicken on top. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and basil. Pour 1/2 cup white cooking wine over and let it cook all day.

When it is done, take the meat off of the chicken. Transfer the meat, all of the juices and veggies to the stock pot with chicken broth. Add noodles or rice. You can add a few more spices, but I rarely do.

Delicious!

I put only salt and pepper in my chicken soup (aside from the onion/carrot/celery that the broth is made with). Thyme or Tarragon are pretty good, though.

The MOST IMPORTANT INGREDIENT in chicken soup is LEMON JUICE! Right before serving, add oh, roughly 1Tbsp per quart (or more). Fresh if you have it.

Well, thanks to all the advice, it was yummy.

I will add some sort of saffron next time (thanks, SC) for color.

I might add wine, but we are a fairly dry house now.

I will def add more broth--it was more of a chicken and noodles instead of chicken noodle soup, but it was very tasty.

I will try out Herbs de Provence next time I have some pocket money.

Now I just have to stop using those crescent rolls from the can and it'll all be good! :D

I hunted down a white-haired church lady at a funeral meal for this recipe!:lol: We like it best with brown rice, but sometimes I do noodles, dumplings, or biscuits.

Homemade Chicken Soup

1 3-4 pound chicken, cut up

4 carrots, sliced

4 celery stalks with some leaves, sliced

1 small onion, diced (I use about 3 tablespoons)

2 teaspoons salt

½ teaspoon black pepper

½-1 teaspoon basil

1 clove of garlic, sliced

Place all ingredients in a large kettle and cover with water (I typically use 8 cups with a large roaster chicken). Cover kettle and cook on low until meat and veggies are tender. Remove chicken onto a platter. Drain liquid from veggies and save both. Debone chicken and cut into small chunks. Place broth, chicken meat, and veggies in separate containers and refrigerate overnight.

The next day skim the solidified fat off the broth. Reheat and put through a fine sieve if you want clear broth.

For chicken soup, add in desired amounts of meat, veggies, and precooked noodles or rice.

For cream sauce to serve Creamed Chicken & Biscuits:

¾ cup butter

¾ cup flour

¼ teaspoon black pepper

3 cups chicken stock

2 cups milk

chicken meat, cut up

Melt butter in saucepan. Combine flour and pepper and blend in gradually on medium heat. Stir until smooth and bubbly.

Remove from heat and stir in liquids. Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil one minute or until thickened.

Gently stir in chicken meat and cook on low heat until heated through. Serve over biscuits.

We like the Italian Seasoning blend in chicken soup. I use this A couple tablespoons of this blend:

Italian Seasoning Mix

1/3 c. dry crushed oregano

1/3 cup dry basil

2 Tbsp. rosemary

1/4 cup each thyme, sage, and marjoram

Combine spices and seal in ziploc or vacuum seal bag (or jar). Measure all into a ziploc bag, seal & shake to combine.