Menu

Seeking good quality, classic clothes for teens

Where do you buy clothes for teens, particularly girls? Dd14 has almost no winter clothes, and we're headed to PA in 2 days.

I'm always so disgusted and discouraged by the sexy clothes in the junior dept. at places like Kohls. Dd is very curvy, so it's a challenge to get clothes that don't scream sexy, but aren't frumpy. We need a classic look that's stylish, but not stuffy. How's that for demanding? :lol:

I HATE to shop, so I need to have a plan of action. I would rather put bamboo shoots under my toenails than wander around the mall.

Help!

My DD looks like she's been kicked out of several Catholics schools, because I buy school uniforms on sale from the School Uniform store in town. Basically plaid skirts, jumpers and dress pants. Its a very traditional or classic and usually wears well. She has white, grey, red, navy tights that go with the skirts. Navy, red and white sweaters and turtlenecks.

I don't have any teenage daughters but not very long ago I myself was a very curvy and developed teen who wanted to look stylish, but modest. My best luck was with Gap. It's pricey, but the clothes really hold up and last a long time. On the cheaper side, I also liked Target and Old Navy, but I would shop women's instead of juniors. Oh, and Maurice's. HTH!

We found some things at Kohl's, but I understand you don't like a lot of their offerings. I found the MUDD line there to not be too bad. We have found good jeans there, but most of them are kinda cut low. They have sweaters that work pretty well with a cami underneath (if V'd--sometimes the necklines are a little low). Aeropostle and OPacific have sporty stuff. We like JCPenney for some of their dresses, and occasionally they have some basics.

It's a struggle. Dd is a Jr size 1, and finding unskanky clothes is HARD. She's too small for the adult sizes.

We usually stay out of the junior's department and shop in the women's department, which tends to be more conservative. My oldest dd has worn adult sizes for a long time. She buys most of her clothes at Kohl's or Old Navy. Old Navy clothing is cheaply made, but I find things like sweatshirts, basic tops, etc. there, both for myself and my teen dd. Old Navy is affordable so if the clothing is not the most well-made, I don't sweat it.

Not going to be cheap, but I'd suggest J. Crew. Gap would also have some good choices. Hanna Andersson and other stores that have been suggested are far too babyish for a teenager, IMO. While Land's End might be great for me (a 30 something mom!) I don't think it's exactly young/youthful enough to be considered even remotely stylish for a girl of her age.

I buy dd camis, tanks, and thin layering shirts to wear underneath a lot of tops that would be revealing otherwise.

This is what we did for DD this year. Our new favorite store is Aropostale. Tanks are $5 dollars. Hit them on a sale and you can get a whole wardrobe for cheap. We got her colored jeans, sweaters, tanks, hoodies etc.