Menu

What does your quiet time/Bible study look like?

I'm having a difficult time lately studying my Bible. I have tried lots of different methods but nothing sticks for very long. I want to have a consistent study and prayer time in the morning. I would love to see how others do this.

Do you use a study guide like Beth Moore? Do you keep a prayer journal? Do you read a One Year Bible? I would love to hear anyone's suggestions!

Thanks!

Elise in NC

:grouphug:

Honestly, I find prayer more productive than Bible study. Not at all that reading the Bible is unimportant, but I want to be in communion with God, and talking WITH Him is more relational than reading about Him, you know? I use a prayer book and say the "morning prayers" that are found therein. Then I read the short Bible readings of the day that are on our church's schedule (one from the epistles and one from the gospels). We hear a lot of Scripture through our church services; as Orthodox Christians, this is how we "study" the Bible -- in the context of the church and it's services/life. Approaching it this way really took a lot of "ugh, I should be doing such-and-such" guilt off my shoulders. I don't have to figure out what to do solely on my own and I don't have to study the Bible to try and figure out what it means. I can pray, read, and attend church and find the fullness of the faith.

If you'd like a suggestion for a prayer book, please let me know.

I find I do better in community--so I set it up that way. I'm always in communication with God during the day; just conversing/praying in a nonformal way isn't difficult for me, it's as natural as breathing. And at night, before sleeping, I usually recap the day with the Lord. But being intentional is harder, so...

On Mondays, I meet with 3-4 other women in our little "vestry house," a comfortable, 2-room building on our church property, and we have intercessory prayer for 45 mins to an hour. We just...well, pray. We pray silently and aloud. Sometimes we are face to the floor, or our hands are lifted, or there are tears; sometimes we read a passage of scripture and pray thru it; sometimes it's quiet, all in the space of that time.

On Sundays, I go to church, and pray corporately.

Thurs nights, I have a 3 hour Education for Ministry that includes worship, prayer, and study. It is also a community--we invoke the "Vegas Rule" in that what happens in EfM stays in EfM. :D

I find I don't do a quiet time with study as easily as I do a devotion, unless it's a Beth Moore. That has a devotional aspect for me; I do 5 lessons a week at home, and bring in the community element once a week as we gather to discuss the lesson and listen to the DVD. We pray then, too. It gives me accountability.

I also keep a One Year Bible on my bed, and read the passage for the day (it goes thru the Psalms, the Old Testament and the New). I find I am not just reading about God, I am listening for him to speak thru the Bible to me. I do not interpret it on my own, but thru the lens of my years of steeping in my Episcopal branch of Christianity. Should I have a question, I ask those most familiar with the traditional interpretations of Scripture. I do believe, as the Episcopal Church believes, that Scripture trumps Tradition or Reason, but that we are to use all of them in interpreting.

Anyway, as you can see, I need some outside structuring, so I set it up that way! :D Oh, and I've done other devotions--My Utmost for His Highest is a favorite--sometimes I just read a devotional book and chat with God as I'm going thru it.

For Bible study, I'm in a couple of groups, one with homework (which I do before the class) and one without homework (which I review after class). I'm also involved in a discussion group where we read various materials on Christian living.

I only sometimes have a structured Bible reading plan, but when I do I use my variation of Grant Horner's Bible Reading System. (I have 6 lists rather than 10.) I love this system because, since it never ends, you never get behind (in "read the Bible in a year" plans, I was always behind, I just could never keep up).

Best wishes.

Oh wow, for a long time I struggled with guilt about devotion time. Then I heard someone say "don't should on yourself". That made me stop and think. I had been to a lot of workshops on devotional times but I had 2 littles 15 months apart. I could not even go to the potty by myself much less spend and hour reading and praying.

I think in a MOPs devotion book I found encouragement to just relax and let the devotion times come when they could. Some days it was only short prayers while I drove and the kids were happy in their car seat. Other times I could read a short devotional thought before getting the kids up for the day.

Now I think of devotion time as "shower" vs " bath" . While they are different in length of time they both produce the same result of a clean body. I have found I am more a "shower" type of devotion person. Some days I take longer to "bathe" in a devotion time with longer prayer or more study of a passage. However most days I am more prone to "shower" off first thing in the morning and then I may "shower" again before bed as I pray for my husband and kids.

Last year I found a one year Bible in chronological order. I was determined to be consistent and read though in the year. I did read through in about a year but found I did not read on the weekend when I was spending more time with my hubby and kids. Sometimes I would miss days during the hectic-ness of life. At those times I would remind myself "don't should" just do what you can. I found reading the passages in chronological order really kept me interested. I enjoyed the short notes before passages that encouraged me to notice certain points from each days reading. The readings only took about 15 minutes. I started mid year which I think really helped me not get bogged down in the normal yearly readings where you get into numbers and the "he begat so and so who begat so and so".

I figure an imperfect devotion life still accomplishes turning my thoughts towards God and drawing me closer to him. I am blessed no matter if I do it imperfectly or not.

I do best in a group, but that isn't always an option.

When I really struggle with being consistent I simply assign myself copy work. It sounds so simple that it is almost silly, but it works well for me.

Thanks for this idea, I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I've been having trouble getting quiet time and I learn well through writing, so I can't wait to try.

I use a Bible reading planner which had 2 OT readings and 1 NT reading, to take you once throught the Old Testament and twice through the New in a year. I think good Bible study is often just very careful reading, so I don't press myself to read quickly just to get through it. I'd rather miss a part than whiz through more than I have time to read. Another thing that really motivates me to really delve in a study is volunteering to teach our ladies Bible study group. I only do one class every 6 weeks or so, but to prepare an hour long class usually takes me about 10 hours. I like to really study the subject to bits, and listen to several classes on whatever I'm studying to get different perspectives. (livoniatapes is where I download audio classes from) I love having audio classes, as I can just play them whenever. Doing the dishes or driving.

If I've had a day where I wasn't able to sit and read my Bible, I'll play an audio Bible as I lay in bed at night.

As far as prayer goes, I pray when I'm driving, and just generally throughout the day, as well as before bed.

My ideal would be to have a 15 minutes of quiet 3 times a day to read each of my daily portions of readings, plus some extra to do the additional topical studies for my classes. This just isn't going to happen consistantly while my kids are little and life is how it is right now, though!

I don't do a "quiet time". I also don't do it in the morning. I am not a morning person, so that time just doesn't work. I do my Bible studying at night after I get the girls in the bed. When dh is home, I will do it after I get him to bed. :D Praying is a conversation I'm in through out the day. I also have long talks while reading the Bible. As I read, I will ask God about what I am reading, and He will answer me with other verses.

These are the things I think about as I am reading:

I give the words on the page their literal meaning. The words say what they mean and mean what they say. Basically, if the literal meaning makes good sence, then take it literally. If it doesn't, then it's a figure of speech. An example of that would be Matt 16:18 where Jesus talks about the gates of Hades. I take that to mean that Hell has gates, because that is what Jesus says. By doing the next step I describe, you find that Jesus says he has the keys of death and Hell, that Hell is a prison, and Jonah talks about the bars of Hell. It seems pretty clear, Hell has gates. A figure of speech would be like John the baptist calling Jesus the Lamb of God. Jesus isn't literally a lamb.

I compare verses with verses to get the meaning. I don't take a single verse and think that it is all the Bible has to say on the subject. For example, in Daniel chapter 7 he describes beasts in his vision. Later on in the chapter, he then explains what the beasts are. That's really close together, but some aren't so close. An example of the same thing, but a little more in depth would be Mark 16:15 compared with Luke 24:46-47 and Acts 1:8. Each verse you read as you go along gives you even more information about the first.

Lastly, I study with a dispensational approach. I ask myself, who wrote the passage, when did they write it, and who did they write it to? This is basically recognizing the difference between what God has written in the Bible that is for my admonition and learning, and what He wrote that is to and about me. Not everything in there is about me, so I need to pay close attention to who it belongs to. For example, in Genesis 17 God tells Abraham that he and all his male descendants have to be circumcised as the mark of His covenant with Israel, or they will be cut off from the people. But, in Galatians 5:6 He says that neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything. He says it again in 6:15. Do we (the men in the body of Christ), need to be circumcised or not? Correctly dividing the scriptures, it is clear that they do not.

Anyway, that is basically it. I hope that helps at least a little! Oh, and one more thing. When you can, try to read a whole book in one sitting. Obviously, Genesis would not be a good one to try and do that with, but all of Paul's epistles are fairly easy to read all in one sitting (each individual one, not all of them at one time). Don't worry about asking a bunch of questions at first, just read it all the way through a couple of times to get an over all feel as to what the book is talking about. That really helps, and as you read other books, verses from the others start coming to mind as you read. Then it really gets fun with looking up all the verses that go together that tells you more and more about what you are reading. Studying the Bible is so exciting! I'll be praying for you as you try to find what works best for you!

Yes, please.

Sure, I just didn't want to give you information you weren't necessarily interested in. Linda, this is one of the prayer books I use. There are also some prayers online, for example here. These are in the Orthodox tradition, but can be useful for all Christians.

As a side note, I also pray throughout the day -- try to consistently be in a state of awareness of and talking with God (as mentioned above). But there's something to disciplining one's self / scheduling time as well. It's good/beneficial to do both.

Best to you on your journey. I hope you find something that draws you closer in to communion with God.

Edited by milovaný

Back with something else. When I was earning my Master's degree, I had to take a certain amount of theological and spiritual formation classes (my Masters was at a Christian seminary). One of the classes was Intro to Christian Spirituality and one of the assigments was a project pulling together a product, program, book, "something" to aid another's Christian walk.

I ended up writing a devotional program for mothers of young children. Long ago, I struggled tremendously with "quiet time." I wanted to do the right thing, and I could never sustain it. My kids are 18 months and then 2 years apart; I had some busy years. Somewhere in there, it occured to me that Jesus was a single man with no children. To expect that I, a married mom of 3, would have access to the time and space to "get away and pray" that Jesus did was an expectation that lead to discontent.

Oh, I tried it all: getting up early (the kids had mommy 'dar and got up when I did), late at night (totally brain fried), "quiet time" during the day (the dishes, laundry, meal planning, and correcting spelling distracted me from meaningful time or study.)

So.........I gave up and talked to God as I then understood him. I told him, "Dude. I can't do this. This devotional/bible study time would be great because I actually love that kind of time. But right now, I can't do it. I don't homemake in a way that matches a period of study. I don't parent like that. The thought of pulling it off stresses me. Please help." I'm pretty sure God's answer was: "Dudette, I love you. I'd be pleased with 2-3 minutes a few times a day, whenever you can rather than the promises of 20 minutes that never come true."

So, back to my class project, I actually wrote a devotional program for mothers of young children, and gathered accoutraments for it. The premise was "a sprinkling of devotion", and encouraged Brother Lawrence type of thought during a mother's *actual* day (I now consider that more mindfulness).

I don't know if that was helpful, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Joanne, I find your post encouraging and helpful. Did you ever publish your devotional? I know you are at a different place in your life and faith now, but hearing your experience really is a good thing. I think that God wants us to be knit into God's day, instead of fitting God into our own days. Brother Lawrence provides an excellent model. He's one of my favs.

I wish I had the time to respond to each of you personally. You all have given me such great ideas!!! I'm at the stage in life where my children are a bit older and I have time for actual study. I've read through the Bible, I've prayed, I've done devotional books. I really want some meat right now. There are several women in our Scout group that attend Community Bible Study and Bible Study Fellowship. My mother-in-law did BSF for about 10 years and went on to teach it. She learned so much about the Bible and has continued teaching Women's Bible Study for years. I don't have the time for something like CBS or BSF but I wish there were home study materials for something like that.

Thank you all for the great ideas!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

I wish I had the time to respond to each of you personally. You all have given me such great ideas!!! I'm at the stage in life where my children are a bit older and I have time for actual study. I've read through the Bible, I've prayed, I've done devotional books. I really want some meat right now. There are several women in our Scout group that attend Community Bible Study and Bible Study Fellowship. My mother-in-law did BSF for about 10 years and went on to teach it. She learned so much about the Bible and has continued teaching Women's Bible Study for years. I don't have the time for something like CBS or BSF but I wish there were home study materials for something like that.

Thank you all for the great ideas!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Although it's from a much more liberal perspective (includes Documentary Hypothesis, for example), EfM can be done online.

There are online Beth Moore studies, too (about the polar opp of EfM...LOL!)

Hers are really meaty, imo. I have done about 6 or 7 of them.

I don't have the time for something like CBS or BSF but I wish there were home study materials for something like that.

Have you seen Joy of Living? Their studies remind me of BSF and can be done at home. They have a free 4 week study that you can try to see if you like their set up. I've done that one along with the John study. I enjoyed both of them.

If you decide to go this route I would not recommend the additional audio discs that you can rent. Unless they've been re-done, they are of very poor quality and I was unable to use them.