Menu

Taking the family out for Indian food tomorrow

....this will be the first time I take my family out for Indian food. I went a lot as a child, but I am not sure if dh ever has and I know I have never taken the kids.

I have made curry at home, with mixed success, but I want them to experience something beyond my meager skills.

So....what should we order? What is not to me missed for young children who need a positive first experience? What should we avoid?

Thanks!

For kids I'd go for butter chicken (murgh makhani) or tandoori chicken.

Also... samosas (pea/potato kind)... naan or one of the more fun specialty breads

For dessert, gulab jamun (kind of like donuts/fritters), rice pudding, or mango kulfi

Sometimes it's nice to go to a place with a buffet so kids can try all different things. One of my kids favorite was a spinach/chicken dish that I never would have expected them to like as they don't like spinach (at least the way they'd had it before.)

Have fun!

....this will be the first time I take my family out for Indian food. I went a lot as a child, but I am not sure if dh ever has and I know I have never taken the kids.

I have made curry at home, with mixed success, but I want them to experience something beyond my meager skills.

So....what should we order? What is not to me missed for young children who need a positive first experience? What should we avoid?

Thanks!

If it's vegetarian, masala dosa (sp?) (with potato); paneer (fried or with peas/mutter); potato-cauliflower (aloo-gobi) (if you can get it "mild"). One of my kids likes chickpea dishes, the other does not.

If it's non-vegetarian, butter chicken is usually quite palateable for kids. Other good choices are chicken korma or karai (sp?) chicken. Lamb is an acquired taste, but my kids have come to like it.

Order a sweet or milky drink to counter the spice in case "mild" doesn't actually mean "mild."

My kids' first restaurant experience (around age 1) was at an Indian restaurant, and they've always loved it.

I like Mango Lassi with makhani tomato paneer and naan. Also, any goat curry works for me. :)

Here is a nice video to watch before you go:

Ah, why not, here's another one some on this board may like even more:

ETA: How about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRqX7S9RFUg&feature=fvwrel

Edited by Susan in KY

My kids love chicken korma. Request your dishes to be made mild, usually you have a choice. (we love it medium, which is pretty spicy for most kids, I would think).

Definitely some type of naan. We love aloo naan (stuffed with potatoes and green peas, yum!!). And order either samosas or pakoras (or both!!).

Find out if your local restaurant has a buffet, that is a great time to go. You can try many different dishes and also it is ALL YOU CAN EAT! :lol::lol:

We love Indian food here, and my DD6 chooses to go out for Indian on her birthday. She is a true foodie.

Man, now I am so so hungry for Indian food!! :drool5::drool5:

One of my kids favorite was a spinach/chicken dish that I never would have expected them to like as they don't like spinach (at least the way they'd had it before.)

Probably Chicken Saag. My kids love it, too, but I didn't want to post it in case the green spinach color would turn people off. LOL!