Menu

I am believer in Vision Therapy...

After 16 weeks of weekly therapy and homework my once reluctant reader is now enjoying books! She was very resistant to all reading activities and now that her eye convergence and teaming issues have been dealt with it has made a huge difference. So if your kiddos complain of headaches, teary eyes, saying the words move on the page, difficulty comprehending, you may want to consider an evaluation with an eye doctor who specializes in vision therapy.

I did have her evaluated by a traditional pediatric ophthalmologist and she had no significant findings...I followed up with our current doctor who found major issues. Just an FYI: Many traditional eye doctors are not supportive of vision therapy due to infringement issues

Anyhow, just wanted to share since a similar email is the reason I pursued VT for my reluctant reader.

:001_smile:

After 16 weeks of weekly therapy and homework my once reluctant reader is now enjoying books! She was very resistant to all reading activities and now that her eye convergence and teaming issues have been dealt with it has made a huge difference. So if your kiddos complain of headaches, teary eyes, saying the words move on the page, difficulty comprehending, you may want to consider an evaluation with an eye doctor who specializes in vision therapy.

I did have her evaluated by a traditional pediatric ophthalmologist and she had no significant findings...I followed up with our current doctor who found major issues. Just an FYI: Many traditional eye doctors are not supportive of vision therapy due to infringement issues

Anyhow, just wanted to share since a similar email is the reason I pursued VT for my reluctant reader.

:001_smile:

how old is your daughter?

I'm happy it worked for your dd. My dd starts next week. She has convergence and tracking issues. She's always complained of words jumping on the page and can read at a pretty high level, but resists reading and doesn't enjoy it at all. She gets headaches and gets stressed easily when reading. I think she'll improve greatly also.

I agree. I only wish more kids had access to VT before they had trouble in school.

My kid went from appearing hopeless as far as ever reading on grade level, to being one of the best readers in her class. Now she's with much older classmates and I'm going back next week to lobby for more services.

That is wonderful. I was going to make an appointment with a pediatric ophthalmologist. How did you find a doctor who specializes in VT?

A pediatric opthalmologist did not pick up severe convergence and tracking issues in my son. Sometimes opthalmologists will be more aware and willing to refer or even have someone on their staff to evaluate but that's probably outside the norm.

http://covd.org/ If there is a fellow near you, vs. associate, *sometimes* the fellow would be the better choice. They are board certified.

Vision therapy was one of the best things we have done for my son. We had huge, measurable improvements.

Edited by sbgrace

www.covd.org

FWIW, opthamologists typically do not do VT and do not perform all the same tests. A developmental vision evaluation would be a separate appointment from the regular checkup.

A pediatric opthalmologist did not pick up severe convergence and tracking issues in my son. Sometimes opthalmologists will be more aware and willing to refer or even have someone on their staff to evaluate but that's probably outside the norm.

http://covd.org/ If there is a fellow near you, vs. associate, *sometimes* the fellow would be the better choice. They are board certified.

Vision therapy was one of the best things we have done for my son. We had huge, measurable improvements.

Thanks to both of you!

My dd is going to be 11 in another month and she just graduated from 40 weeks of VT in early July.

It has made such a difference in her willingness to read. She's still got a ways to go as phonics for her stalled out as we took a wait and see approach, but she will now at least try to read the directions on her papers and asks to go to the library for books. Now if I could just get her to want to read a chapter book instead of picture books (although picture books have been good for her as it doesn't seem like such a mountain to climb)

There are a few fellows in cities an hour away from us.

His did you go about choosing someone to evaluate your child?

Does insurance ever help with the costs?

You might ask on the SN board, where VT is discussed very frequently.

Word of mouth recommendations are a good start. Insurance coverage varies widely.

We've been doing VT for over 8 months now and not experiencing the same results unfortunately. We are pushing it a little more here at home and hoping that we can have a breakthrough. She is however, focusing more on reading longer periods of time and is progressing through her school work much faster than the last two years.

Glad you are having such positive results!

We've been doing VT for over 8 months now and not experiencing the same results unfortunately. We are pushing it a little more here at home and hoping that we can have a breakthrough. She is however, focusing more on reading longer periods of time and is progressing through her school work much faster than the last two years.

Glad you are having such positive results!

That's really unusual to need 8 months of VT, and you should have seen results (at least enough to justify continuing) much sooner. Have you been having monthly checks with the doctor? Is the therapist certified? Who is doing the therapy? Is it a covd doc or an opthamologist?

There can be other reasons for a lack of progress too. You could have unidentified SN on top of the vision problems. The dc may need OG instruction. Our place does PACE as well, and in fact they started doing it because the lead VT doc's own dc were not learning to read in spite of all the tutoring and VT. PACE combines working memory with learning in a pretty unique way. And of course some kids don't respond well to VT because there were untreated underlying problems (sensory integration, retained primitive reflexes, etc.).

So the cause of the problems can really vary. I'm a big advocate for VT, but I would NOT continue to plunk out for it when you're not seeing results. You have to figure out why and determine if you're treating the wrong problem, have the wrong doc, have something holding you back from progress, or have something else going on in addition or what. Sorry you're having problems, but those are the questions I would be asking. Hope you get it sorted out!

There are a few fellows in cities an hour away from us.

How did you go about choosing someone to evaluate your child?

Does insurance ever help with the costs?

The docs' offices will have to answer your insurance questions. It really varies. Fellows are definitely a good lead, and if you have several to chose from, all the better! My two cents is to visit them all yourself and decide. Our place has a monthly open house where you can meet a therapist and doctor and get your questions answered. If they don't do that, then just bop by. Ask to see their therapy room. Talk with people who've used them. You'll probably be pretty confident after you've done that. And ask if their *therapists* are COVD certified. That will probably tell you something.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you see they linked to this thread on the covd website?

Well, then, let me add another success story.

Twenty-six weeks of VT. An advance in reading/reading comprehension of 7 grade levels between start and finish. Longer sustained reading time. No more headaches while reading.

We are believers!

Twenty-six weeks of VT. An advance in reading/reading comprehension of 7 grade levels between start and finish. Longer sustained reading time. No more headaches while reading.

We are believers!

hooray!! Victory:party:

That's quite impressive:)

We are believers!

Wow!! Whowhoo!!!!!!!!!

:party::party::party:

hooray!! Victory:party:

That's quite impressive:)

Yes, we thought so, too! To be clear, my son was older than many of the younger kids who start VT earlier. He was doing well until he hit a wall with higher-level reading material. Turns out he is a really bright kid with mild tracking, visual processing and visual discrimination issues and was able to compensate in other ways, until he hit long, timed reading assignments. I knew something was amiss, but was totally shocked to discover that his reading level was so low for his age. And like many of the posters here, we had received great reports at regular visual acuity exams. It took some learning evaluations to get a recommendation to the developmental optometrist who then uncovered the issues.

I believe that he was able to make quick progress because he was older, and a consistent, cooperative patient. I also believe that the physical exercises to remediate primal reflexes were an essential part of the therapy plan - our OTs were terrific! He is currently reading The Odyssey with no problem (well, not any problem other than the challenge average kids face when engaging ancient literature!).

It is a darn shame that insurance won't cover this treatment - the outcomes seem to be quite measurable. We were able to funnel a portion of it through our medical savings account, but still...we ate a lot of beans that year!

Edited by Seasider