Menu

Snacks/food for family in ICU waiting room?

My friend is taking some food items, etc....to a family (I think about 8 of them) who have a 2 year old in ICU. She was one of the kids who ate at the Fair here in NC and contracted E-coli. Thankfully she is doing well and it looks like she will recover.

But what could I contribute for them to snack on or eat while they are there for hours on end?

I don't have much time and it would be BEST for me to just pick something up already made, but I don't know if that is appropriate or not.

Dawn

Instead of food, I'd do change for the snack machines and gift cards to restaurants close by.

:iagree: Many places will deliver to hospitals that do not deliver to homes, so I would call around to businesses who are willing to deliver and get gift cards. Pizza is fairly cheap and feeds a lot of people.

But that I would have to do tomorrow, a day old sandwich tray would not be good.

Dawn

I have had to spend a lot of time at hospitals and I hate the snack machines. People have often brought us subs which we liked to get. A sandwich tray would be a good idea, people could then just eat when they wanted to with no fuss.

Hmmm......I will need to think on that. The hospital is in Downtown and I am not familiar with what is close by.

The family is from the West Coast and just moved to a town 2 hours away for a job. They don't know this area at all and most likely are not venturing out, so it would definitely need to be a place that delivers, but I will not be driving up there to pick it up....it is 27 miles from me.

My friend has said she will be going up tomorrow and I am having coffee with her tonight and will take her something to take to them.

So, I am very limited on time here.

Dawn

What a great idea. I spent a fortune on snacks when my mom was in ICU. Fresh fruit would probably be nice. Cheese and crackers, pretzel rods, maybe a small cooler with some drinks. There was a grocery store nearby my mom's hospital and we would walk over there for subs. Change for the vending machines would probably be helpful as well.

I was thinking of fresh fruit, too. Gift cards and change are nice, but when one is spending so much time in the hospital, the options get old quickly. Something fresh would be so appealing! Something other than the unappetizing wrinkly oranges and spongy apples they might have on hand at the cafe. Do you think a pre-cut container of fruit would make the trip? Maybe some utensils and napkins to go along with it? A cooler with some nice cheeses or drinks?

The gift card to Caribou sounds good, too, plus finding out if any local restaurants deliver. Maybe the receptionist at the hospital could point you toward some restaurant options.

Besides food items, some minor self-care items might be nice, not sure if that would be too personal for you to send...

I always bring food for families stuck in the hospital and it's very well received. People have thanked me for it YEARS later, so I guess they liked it!

I buy one of those disposable styrofoam coolers for $5 (ice is usually available at the hospital if someone needs to refill it). That way if there isn't fridge space available they can keep the food with them.

I fill it with simple, non-messy food that is relatively "durable" like:

Muffins

Bagels & Cream cheese packets

Pre-cut cheese and sliced sandwich meat

Crackers

Pita bread (sliced in half to use for a quick sandwich)

Fruit, washed and ready to eat

Salad in a take n toss container

Non-crumbly homemade cookies (oatmeal raisin, sugar, etc)

Bottled coffee (like Starbucks), individual containers of juice, etc

Napkins & plasticware

If the family has children who will be visiting I usually throw in some activity books and a pack of crayons

Personally I think it's so nice to have easy food right at hand. In many critical situations people may not want to leave their loved one in order to get something to eat, or may be too upset to eat a full meal.

I always bring food for families stuck in the hospital and it's very well received. People have thanked me for it YEARS later, so I guess they liked it!

I buy one of those disposable styrofoam coolers for $5 (ice is usually available at the hospital if someone needs to refill it). That way if there isn't fridge space available they can keep the food with them.

I fill it with simple, non-messy food that is relatively "durable" like:

Muffins

Bagels & Cream cheese packets

Pre-cut cheese and sliced sandwich meat

Crackers

Pita bread (sliced in half to use for a quick sandwich)

Fruit, washed and ready to eat

Salad in a take n toss container

Non-crumbly homemade cookies (oatmeal raisin, sugar, etc)

Bottled coffee (like Starbucks), individual containers of juice, etc

Napkins & plasticware

If the family has children who will be visiting I usually throw in some activity books and a pack of crayons

Personally I think it's so nice to have easy food right at hand. In many critical situations people may not want to leave their loved one in order to get something to eat, or may be too upset to eat a full meal.

:iagree:

We spend a lot of time in the hospital. The best gift I ever received was very similar to this. My friend went to Panera and included some great bread, sliced and chicken salad. The fruit was especially awesome. Dove chocolate candies are always appreciated too:)

:iagree:

We spend a lot of time in the hospital. The best gift I ever received was very similar to this. My friend went to Panera and included some great bread, sliced and chicken salad. The fruit was especially awesome. Dove chocolate candies are always appreciated too:)

Chicken salad with some rolls would be a great idea! I bet there is someone at the hospital, a volunteer probably, who could help you find out who delivers.

Thank you all. Fresh food would require me to drive up there myself tomorrow. Friend doesn't have room in her fridge and I don't have time to get a cooler and ice and fresh foods tonight. I have to be somewhere in an hour.

If they end up staying past the weekend I could take something up then, but for tomorrow's visit, I just can't do it.

Gift cards to local places via a hospital worker isn't really going to work for tomorrow either. I would need to drive up to the place to get them.

I think I will need to settle for Caribou today and then worry about something better next week. I think they may be in a week or two.

There are no other children who need entertaining. It is a young mom and dad and one 2 year old child. Some adult relatives are flying in today to help out.

Dawn

It's very thoughtful for you to do this :001_smile:. I just wanted to add, if a cooler will be available, hummus and some sort of dipper, like cut up pita or those yummy pretzel crisps, would be tasty and filling. I know when I'm worried and stressed in hospital situations, if I must eat, snacking is all I care to do. Cut up fresh fruit and lights snacks would be wonderful!

Here is what we did for friends who had a toddler in ICU for nearly 4 weeks.

We had two ice chests. One had drinks in it: juice, milk, sodas, Frappuccinos, etc. Whoever brought breakfast also brought ice for the coolers.

One was for perishables. We also used a table in the waiting area. We kept hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt and granola, sometimes donuts or danishes, veggies and dip, bagels and cream cheese, lunch meats and cheese, rolls/croissants, and some salads. We varied the kinds daily so they were not eating the same thing every day.

For dinners, we brought in hot meals at about the same time each night so the family could plan. These were cooked at home usually, but some people brought take out because it was easier for them than cooking. Our friends were able to put any dinner leftovers into the cooler to eat during the night if they got hungry.

Sometimes there were other people in the waiting room, so we usually had enough for them to eat, too. These other couple families were very grateful because they didn't have anyone taking care of them like our friends did.

THANK YOU!

She called them yesterday and asked if she could bring an ice chest with foods like already mentioned and she said they were SO excited about the idea! They also requested some playing cards!

She is shopping right now and will head up to the hospital in a bit.

Dawn

Your idea sounds really nice. People gave us a lot of visa gift cards we could use for delivery foods. My dd just got home after 35 days in PICU. Also our floor had refrigerator we could keep things in to eat and I put fruit, cheese, tortillias and bagels in it so didn't have to eat out all the time. Delivery foods were really nice because I really couldn't leave dd and had no car to go to restaurant anyway.

They have been so thrilled with the cooler! We have refilled it at least every other day.

We have purchased food and taken food and Monday night I made PB&J sandwiches cut in 1/4 for our scout troop. I was a bit sad to have almost all of them left at the end of the night. My friend took them up to the hospital along with a bunch of other food.

You know what that dad did? He grabbed the PB&J sandwiches and said, "PB&J? You have NO idea how good those look! I am tired of all the fried foods and PB&J will hit the spot!"

Who knew? :lol:

Just as a little background, this is for a little 2 year old girl who is one of the victims of the e-coli outbreak here in NC. She has had 2 or 3 surgeries and is on tubes all over the place. She almost died twice.

So far we have taken sandwich fixings (meat/cheese and PB&J), cut up veggies and fruit, juice boxes, tea, chips, crackers, bagels, cake, cookies, and several other things. More will go up tomorrow.

Dawn

If the family is out of town... has the nurse, doctor or social worker contacted the nearest Ronald McDonald house?? They will have the family stay overnight or up to a few weeks. Laundry, TV, books are on site. Shuttle services too. They allow families to eat there too and volunteers usually make a large potluck dinner nightly. HTH

If the family is out of town... has the nurse, doctor or social worker contacted the nearest Ronald McDonald house?? They will have the family stay overnight or up to a few weeks. Laundry, TV, books are on site. Shuttle services too. They allow families to eat there too and volunteers usually make a large potluck dinner nightly. HTH

Yes to this! :iagree:

I know they know about it, I don't know the details though. I know the parents don't want to leave her side for one min, but the extended family may be staying there.

They don't know.

She has had 2 surgeries and almost died twice. It has been awful.

Thanks for the update. I have been wondering about her.

That is great about the pbnj.....I would not have guessed that either, but it makes sense!

Do they think she caught it from the petting zoo, or from food she ate?

I hope she gets better quickly.

A plain old pre-paid visa card would allow them to pay for almost anything anywhere.

Thanks for updating us.

Thank you all. Fresh food would require me to drive up there myself tomorrow. Friend doesn't have room in her fridge and I don't have time to get a cooler and ice and fresh foods tonight. I have to be somewhere in an hour.

If they end up staying past the weekend I could take something up then, but for tomorrow's visit, I just can't do it.

Gift cards to local places via a hospital worker isn't really going to work for tomorrow either. I would need to drive up to the place to get them.

I think I will need to settle for Caribou today and then worry about something better next week. I think they may be in a week or two.

There are no other children who need entertaining. It is a young mom and dad and one 2 year old child. Some adult relatives are flying in today to help out.

Dawn

She had the machine on her heart removed! YEAH! She is still incubated, but she is doing better.

The father requested MORE PB&J sandwiches! I can't believe that his favorite thing out of all the goodies my friend has taken up, that PB&J is his favorite! :D

My friend went up again yesterday to fill their cooler.

So thankful she is doing better.

I can totally believe the PB&J! There's not too many days that I go without peanut butter and I'd be craving my everyday foods by now.

Might be good to take him a whole jar along with some crackers so he can get his fix any time.

So glad she's turned the corner.

• 11 years later...