Menu

Project Based Learning (inspired by Lori Pickert's book) Discussion here!

Halcyon

:bigear: I'm curious what her followers would have to say. I haven't read the book yet (I have it on my to reads shelf) but what she talks about is a bit like what I envisioned when I first started, yet not where I ended up. The intro to the book resonated with me because I taught for a long time and did feel like a burnt out wizard, just like she describes. And teaching just two kids is, indeed, quite an easy feat by comparison.

I LOVED this book!!

Here I wrote my thoughts about the book.

Here are a few more posts showing some projects one of my girls has done.

I joined the forum - on author's blog - and there aren't many people there, but it is a great little place to ask questions! I would love to discuss here too!!

As you can see, I really loved the book...and have one daughter who already naturally learns this way...

But...I'm having trouble figuring out how to implement on a regular basis AND how to encourage my other 2 children in this direction.

Oh the author's blog is FABULOUS if you haven't seen it either!! Follow project-based homeschooling on facebook and she posts some excellent links pertaining to all these things and just education in general!

Thanks to the pps and the link to the previous thread. I'm interested in the idea of this, although in my mind it doesn't look so much like what I've read on her blog so far but more like what others have posted as their interpretation. The one link I read seemed to be much more directed than I had envisioned, ie having your child pick an area you are studying to then create a project.

My kids are pretty young, 5 and 8, and my goal for this year(and the next few at least) is entirely interest led in content subjects. I'm trying to work myself on recognizing when they(especially ds8) want to delve further into something and providing the support and help he needs to learn and do what projects he wants. It seems it does take more effort but it is also much more rewarding to me. We've done basic things so far, very basic. Dd5 had/has an interest in rocks I cut apart a little egg carton for her to collect them and then we read a few books and watched some movies about different kinds of rocks.

Ds' current interest has been space and flying so we've been reading various books and watching various movies about that. He has a paper airplane book that he always has around trying out various versions to see what he can make fly the best. We've had a few short diversions onto Leonardi daVinci and then the Wright Brothers. My challenge is to not put them off when they say they want to explore something, like when we were reading about daVinci and all his contraptions and he wanted to see different things he could possibly make like his models. So, instead of putting it on a possible Christmas list and then everyone forgetting why we found it so interesting in the first place I would like to go ahead and follow those trails as they come. So in that vein I just downloaded- Amazing Leonardo da Vinci Inventions You Can Build Yourself, which I've looked at several times but just never got around to actually showing the kids. I know ds will love it.

Dd5 had/has an interest in rocks I cut apart a little egg carton for her to collect them and then we read a few books and watched some movies about different kinds of rocks.

Hi, my 5 yro is going through a big rock phase (Lol). Rainbow Resource has those rock ID kits (actually, Amazon probably does, too). We bought a kit that had examples of igneous, sedimentary, etc. She looked at the rocks with magnifiers, ID'd them and did an "experiment" to see which ones float.

Using an egg carton is a great idea. We're going to try that. We have weird rocks everywhere here (it's Texas).

Ds' current interest has been space and flying so we've been reading various books and watching various movies about that.

If you get apps on your phone (I think the android and iphone has this), there are several apps (Google Stars and Night Sky are two of them) where you point your phone to the night sky and it shows a star map. It will name the star that you're looking at, show the surrounding constellation and give the names of the surrounding stars. It is awesome. I'm on the computer right now, because my 10 yro dragged me out of bed to ID more stars outside. ;) She was out until 9 pm last night, identifying everything. It's to the point where she (and I) can look up at a star and know what it is.

As far as project-based learning, we've been doing that for a couple of years. We started off with a school-at-home approach and my son hated it so much that he would cry when it was time to sit down for schoolwork. If I had not made things so hands-on, we never would have made it with homeschooling.

Also, my 7 yro has a similar personality. Right now, she's interested in making Claymation movies. She has been watching amateur Claymation videos online and now she wants to make her own. We have the clay...got the camera...we have a 'puter that can probably string pics together into a movie... :D It looks like we're going to try it.

I also wanted to say that when it comes to interest-led learning, it can still be very rigorous. My 10 yro's botany phase is proof to that (I need an eye-rolling smilie for all the plant discussions I've had to endure while I'm trying to cook dinner and the plastic baggies full of water and seeds that she's taped to the patio door). It also doesn't have to be expensive. We use the library constantly and we visit places like the botanical gardens, state parks, nature centers, museums, etc.

I think the key is to leave them time to explore, not overschedule, and try to be supportive when they want to try something new (which can be hard), etc.

Sorry for the weird rambling. The coffee has not kicked in, yet!

I LOVED this book!!

Here I wrote my thoughts about the book.

Here are a few more posts showing some projects one of my girls has done.

I joined the forum - on author's blog - and there aren't many people there, but it is a great little place to ask questions! I would love to discuss here too!!

As you can see, I really loved the book...and have one daughter who already naturally learns this way...

But...I'm having trouble figuring out how to implement on a regular basis AND how to encourage my other 2 children in this direction.

Oh the author's blog is FABULOUS if you haven't seen it either!! Follow project-based homeschooling on facebook and she posts some excellent links pertaining to all these things and just education in general!

Those projects your daughter made are WODERFUL! I, too, have one child who is very project oriented and one who....is not. But I am hoping to encourage him. Last night I told him of my idea of devoting one day (!!!!) a week to "his own projects, anything he'd like to pursue". He looked at me quizzically. "Any thoughts?" I said. "Well, I would like to journal more. There's a journal at staples that I have been saving up for." Me "Okay, sounds good. Anything else?" That was it. But it's a start, right? I know he has other interests, but getting him to work on them is more challenging. My younger already has plans to design a beaded curtain for his door, and design clothes for his barbies (he's already decided he is going to be a fashion designer when he grows up LOL)

I will continue to post here and on my blog about how this goes. I really cant wait to hear more from others. Going to look at all the other links from people.

I just followed the link to the previous thread on WTM about this (and hey! I posted there too LOL, I forgot) and it seems to me that the ideas people are having are more directed by the parent than what Lori is proposing in her book and on her blog. Not that there is anything wrong with that at all, but I wonder if that is the direction that WE want to go in in our homeschool. Things tend to quickly get coopted by mom here (me? try to direct learning? nooooooo) so I am wary of begining anything that is propossed by me, such as "What are the most interesting things you learned in Science....are there any ways you want to explore that mor fully?" Again, I think this is GREAT in terms of fleshing out what you're already studying, adn we sorta do this already. But (correct me if I am wrong) I feel like LOri is suggesting that the projects be completely and utterly thought of and driven by the student? (Which generally means they will be projects that I wouldnt have thought of and probably dont have a HUGE INTEREST in which will be a test for Mom LOL) For example, younger is very interested in crafts, and wants to design and create a beaded curtain for his door. He wants to design a time travel machine-he already has a prototype. I have to be very careful not to make these projects "too academic", also. I have a tendency to want to insert "learning" with a capital L into every situation.....

Things tend to quickly get coopted by mom here (me? try to direct learning? nooooooo)

You could just wait and see if they start a project/activity on their own. Do some strewing? Or you could ask them, "What exactly do you want to learn/study about?" I had to do that in the beginning. I also try not to interfere unless it's clear they are in over their heads (like the Claymation video I posted about).

Hi, my 5 yro is going through a big rock phase (Lol). Rainbow Resource has those rock ID kits (actually, Amazon probably does, too). We bought a kit that had examples of igneous, sedimentary, etc. She looked at the rocks with magnifiers, ID'd them and did an "experiment" to see which ones float.

Using an egg carton is a great idea. We're going to try that. We have weird rocks everywhere here (it's Texas).

If you get apps on your phone (I think the android and iphone has this), there are several apps (Google Stars and Night Sky are two of them) where you point your phone to the night sky and it shows a star map. It will name the star that you're looking at, show the surrounding constellation and give the names of the surrounding stars. It is awesome. I'm on the computer right now, because my 10 yro dragged me out of bed to ID more stars outside. ;) She was out until 9 pm last night, identifying everything. It's to the point where she (and I) can look up at a star and know what it is.

As far as project-based learning, we've been doing that for a couple of years. We started off with a school-at-home approach and my son hated it so much that he would cry when it was time to sit down for schoolwork. If I had not made things so hands-on, we never would have made it with homeschooling.

Also, my 7 yro has a similar personality. Right now, she's interested in making Claymation movies. She has been watching amateur Claymation videos online and now she wants to make her own. We have the clay...got the camera...we have a 'puter that can probably string pics together into a movie... :D It looks like we're going to try it.

I also wanted to say that when it comes to interest-led learning, it can still be very rigorous. My 10 yro's botany phase is proof to that (I need an eye-rolling smilie for all the plant discussions I've had to endure while I'm trying to cook dinner and the plastic baggies full of water and seeds that she's taped to the patio door). It also doesn't have to be expensive. We use the library constantly and we visit places like the botanical gardens, state parks, nature centers, museums, etc.

I think the key is to leave them time to explore, not overschedule, and try to be supportive when they want to try something new (which can be hard), etc.

Sorry for the weird rambling. The coffee has not kicked in, yet!

Thanks for the heads up. I'd heard about those kits but never bought one. They'd both love that. She has found some really, really cool rocks here, including a little fossil as well. We worked on identifying the rocks we found but I've still not found a rock identification book that I was super crazy about and we've looked through the whole collection at the library.

I don't have an i-phone or app phone but that sounds really neat. Interest here hasn't really went the direction of astronomy though, more along the lines of the flying machines and such.

I know ds can absorb info like crazy, it is so neat to hear him go on and on about various things when he gets home, quizzing him about various things he's found out(he loves it when he knows something that dh doesn't). Usually dh can actually give him more info about such things and then goes on to explain it all in more detail then I could ever figure out. Dh is very much similar to ds in how they learn, his aptitudes and interests. We don't have to schedule oral presentations or such because he naturally goes on and on about it and I certainly wouldn't require it now.

My dd planted some seeds the other day as well and LOVES flowers and such. We've done a lot of taking walks and various nature guides out trying to identify various flowers and medicinal herbs. She keeps my house full of flowers whenever she can find any from my beds or wild. That reminds me when need to make real mint icecream before it dies, she's been picking it in the last few weeks. We had picked a bunch last year that was growing wild and one day she brought some in this year and we hadn't talked about it since then. She had found some more though on one of her adventures.

Those projects your daughter made are WODERFUL! I, too, have one child who is very project oriented and one who....is not. But I am hoping to encourage him. Last night I told him of my idea of devoting one day (!!!!) a week to "his own projects, anything he'd like to pursue".

I recently started doing something similar. This was not out of great aspirations to follow a project-based path, but out of necessity since I needed one school day a week set aside for work. Mine was a little directed. I instructed them that they could do just about anything, write up a plan for their day, and get their plan approved. In order for something to be approved they had to explain how they could learn something with their plan. My son figured out that playing video games would not work:tongue_smilie:

One kid picked designing a Roblox game involving traveling to different galaxies, playing logic games, NaNoWriMo story, and art. The other kid picked drawing, reading, NaNoWriMo story, logic games, chess, researching animal facts, and finding his way around town with a street view on Google maps. At the end of the day I had them report (tell me) what they did and what they learned. It was a positive experience for all. We'll be trying it again next week.

As an aside from that I'm wanting to introduce more project-based learning into my middle child's days. We are doing project-based geography this year. It is parent directed, but my kids are learning so much with it. My son is also doing projects related to history and science. He typically reads books on a topic (I choose the books) and then has a chunk of time to spend on a project. He has to get his project approved before he starts. He prefers to do most of his projects on the computer designing a Roblox game on the topic.

Timely post. I just started the book. :) I will definitely be back with thoughts.

It seems to me that Lori is trying to encourage independence and projects all chosen by the student. We wouldn't have a problem with that around here. Well, that isn't true. The KIDS would easily do that, but I am often trying to make the projects connect to something we are doing in history or science or the read aloud we are into. My DS and my DD often have ideas about things they are interested in and want to pursue, and I actually have a list of these things...but we have only gotten to a couple of them. I probably do need to allow more time and give a bit more encouragement to this, I know my son would thrive in that type of environment.

This will fit in with the more relaxed homeschooling we have been doing this year, but I do need it "on the schedule" to make sure it happens (how is that for relaxed?! :lol::lol:).

I'm so not an expert but so far here this year for ds when we go to the library I ask ds to go pick out something he is interested in learning about science and send him off. I help him find books if needed or he asks the librarian. He naturally asked me about building stuff that daVinci had done after reading a Discover magazine about daVinci but he is not independent enough to figure out how to build any of the stuff on his own. He does have the ability to make paper airplanes and such though, so that is what he has done. I feel like if he is asking for assistance to take something further then it is a good thing to help him follow his interests.

Dd does all kinds of little projects on her own. She did just have her rocks laying around everywhere so I got the egg carton as a way to hold them all. Naturally as she has found different rocks (or flowers or bugs) she asks me what I think it is so then we go to a field guide or internet to try and figure it out. She decided to plant seeds yesterday all on her own, she is working on her Valentine box again this morning(don't ask me). She is always trying to figure out how to decorate her room or make little paper crafts for people- I have paper everywhere. Ds is always more interested in building things. We have bought a few books and he makes what he can on his own but is always asking for help with different things that he needs supplies for or he doesn't have the dexterity or such. Like with the Leonardi inventions he was interested in building some but he didn't know how to start that, so I'm finally getting off my butt to see if I can find something he can do.

I try not to do anything for them though unless they cannot themselves because honestly I don't have that desire. I don't worry about anything connecting to anything we are studying because our content is not driven in any particular direction but entirely their choosing. I don't desire to have it orientated in any particular direction now or at least a few years, probably even longer(perhaps until highschool) for science and maybe history.

We do also have family things we are interested in learning about though. Like dh is currently obsessed with How the States Got their Shape and is wanting to start watching these, I have no idea if the interests will transfer to the kids or not. Dh also loves Mythbusters and that leads to lots of discussions and such.

I don't think it has to be done exactly one way and I'm sure as with everything there is a continuum. There is a lot of variance in teachers(parents) and students and our goals, timelines, resources etc. Different kids are orientated different as well. Ds is a builder and dd is more of a creator/designer, of course there is overlap there but it manifests differently already I can see. One of my biggest goals is that we inspire a love of learning and a desire of it so I want to try and encourage that in themselves with increasing independence but also respect their ages and ability and not let their inexperience or inability keep them from doing something. We work steadily in skill areas though as I want to build that foundation.

Edited by soror

I think, at least in our family, my tendency to take over and suck all the joy from any interest they have had means that the road to authentically child led/interest led learning is going to be gradual. I have been working on supporting my children's interests by stealth. Ds is fascinated by cryptids (Bigfoot, Loch Ness monster etc.) and mythical animals. So I have casually reserved library books on those topics, pulled up videos for Netflix, and really really listened when he yelled, "Hey Mom! Guess what!...". I did have a tendency to murmur "mmm hmmm" while not really paying attention. I think I need to begin with trying to genuinely value their interests, and not cramming my ideas of "academics" into it. Announcing suddenly that we were going to be following their interests would earn me the hairy eyeball and mumbling. They have to start to trust me first. So for now it is all "unofficial."

Right now, I am building up trust and trying to create the environment Lori discussed, as well as figuring out how to squeeze in the time. I can't see myself dropping formal lessons in math, Latin, writing etc., so I need to figure what I am willing to let go of a little.

I'm off to read all the linked blog posts, so I am sure I will be back with more questions!

Edited by urpedonmommy
Grammar

I just followed the link to the previous thread on WTM about this (and hey! I posted there too LOL, I forgot) and it seems to me that the ideas people are having are more directed by the parent than what Lori is proposing in her book and on her blog. Not that there is anything wrong with that at all, but I wonder if that is the direction that WE want to go in in our homeschool. Things tend to quickly get coopted by mom here (me? try to direct learning? nooooooo) so I am wary of begining anything that is propossed by me, such as "What are the most interesting things you learned in Science....are there any ways you want to explore that mor fully?" Again, I think this is GREAT in terms of fleshing out what you're already studying, adn we sorta do this already. But (correct me if I am wrong) I feel like LOri is suggesting that the projects be completely and utterly thought of and driven by the student? (Which generally means they will be projects that I wouldnt have thought of and probably dont have a HUGE INTEREST in which will be a test for Mom LOL) For example, younger is very interested in crafts, and wants to design and create a beaded curtain for his door. He wants to design a time travel machine-he already has a prototype. I have to be very careful not to make these projects "too academic", also. I have a tendency to want to insert "learning" with a capital L into every situation.....

Hmm....yes it is too easy or automatic for some people (I'm not naming any names...like Woolybear..or anything) too take over. "Oh you want to learn about.......then why don't we get a book, do such and such, what ever." or, "No, let's do this instead." Definitely not what I see as Lori's approach.

We have started Project based learning here and it is a learning process for me as well. I have had to bite my tongue more than once, but I can immediately see how valuable it is for the dc to go through the process themselves.

another thing--finding the balance between classical (or more cm-ish education and project based learning). It seems to me (in my limited experience) that it is not simply adding in project time to your day. They also need to have the mental space to allow for the projects to grow in their brains. I also am continuing to have them do regular school, but try not to have subjects/ideas distract too much when they are on a roll with a project.

I've been thinking about this for about a year now. My younger is attending a project-based learning charter school for 1st grade, so I did some research on the whole idea before enrolling her. Obviously, in the school setting, their projects are way more teacher-directed than we are talking about here.

With Miss P, who homeschools, there is kind of a dichotomy. She does projects on her own *all the time* - craft projects, sewing projects, drawing, paper dolls, etc. It is completely self-directed, all I do is buy supplies at the Goodwill store. We call this playing. ;)

Seriously, I am very careful to stay out of her "projects" and to not inject anything schooly or academic into them at all. I'm just here to provide resources. I've let her know that if she wants to take art classes or sewing classes outside, I'll provide them. But I don't push this and so far she is just happy to explore and play on her own. My biggest contribution (besides buying old pillows for her to take apart) is to make sure she has time in her schedule to play.

So far, interest-led academics has been completely different, more like the baby steps others have described. Last year she developed a passion for insects & entomology, so I got tons of library books, some insect kits, and some books, and she has collected and raised various insects, and we study entomology one day a week as part of our biology studies. So the idea was hers, but it was an idea for an academic subject and I provided the tools and resources to make it into a topic of study.

This summer when I asked her what she wanted to study (this) year, she said horses. So I got Equine Science and she does it independently one day a week. She will also be starting horseback riding lessons.

This is clearly not what Lori is talking about, while Miss P's play projects are . . . except they are play, not school. And I think I'm ok with this: school being interest-led but mom-directed, and playtime being entirely free with mom staying out of it. That's what I'm thinking right now. But I am :bigear: to this conversation with great interest, and will be reading y'alls blog posts . . .

Where is the line between play and learning though?

Do they not learn while they play as well?

Is it learning if it is only about certain recognized subjects?

Ds built a little catapult with tinker toys after watching some Mythbusters show, was that play or learning? I'd say it was some of both. He worked on figuring out what size everything needed to be to make it work, what kind of objects could be launched and tweaking it to see how far he could get it to go. The same with the various airplanes he built after reading about flying. He didn't learn the specific physic elements that govern what he was working on but rather got to see them in action, as he gets older I can see that leading to more research and more understanding but it was on his own level at this point. It wasn't made into a lesson but sometimes he works to get dh involved and dh will explain when he asks about various things.

Where is the line between play and learning though?

Do they not learn while they play as well?

Is it learning if it is only about certain recognized subjects?

Ds built a little catapult with tinker toys after watching some Mythbusters show, was that play or learning? I'd say it was some of both. He worked on figuring out what size everything needed to be to make it work, what kind of objects could be launched and tweaking it to see how far he could get it to go. The same with the various airplanes he built after reading about flying. He didn't learn the specific physic elements that govern what he was working on but rather got to see them in action, as he gets older I can see that leading to more research and more understanding but it was on his own level at this point. It wasn't made into a lesson but sometimes he works to get dh involved and dh will explain when he asks about various things.

Right, I agree - I didn't mean to imply that I devalue playing at all - I think kids learn a tremendous amount from playing!! A big reason we don't "do more school" is that I believe it is critical to preserve free time for just the sort of playing/learning you are describing.

I guess I just mean that in my mind, there is a line - although it may be a fuzzy one - between playing (what they do on their own (which of course they learn a ton from)) and school is something else - something that involves parent/teacher direction, is focused toward a specific learning goal that I deem important for her future ability to self-teach and become a lifelong learner in whatever area she eventually chooses. I think I do have a role in that. So even though the subject might be interest-led, I am involved in directing things so that educational goals are met, particularly in skill areas. Does that make sense?

Edited by rroberts707

Snipped .......

another thing--finding the balance between classical (or more cm-ish education and project based learning). It seems to me (in my limited experience) that it is not simply adding in project time to your day. They also need to have the mental space to allow for the projects to grow in their brains. I also am continuing to have them do regular school, but try not to have subjects/ideas distract too much when they are on a roll with a project.

Can you expand on this? Because this is my current thought--there are some things I just won't give up, like structured math, Latin, writing, memory work and literature (read alouds). So how to combine the top-down model of structured learning for some areas, with a child-led pursuit in other areas. I am beginning to think that I am comfortable letting content areas like science, history, and geography be interest led, but I am unsure of how to switch gears between the two modes.:bigear:

I recently described how we do project-based learning, as well as my impressions of Pickert's book, in this thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=410086

Jackie

This thread is amazing! Jackie, I am in awe... your approach is what I have been struggling to bring myself to do for years now....

We do math, Latin, & Greek in the mornings, using standard curricula. History and science (as well as things like art, programming, robotics/electronics, etc.) are entirely interest-led/project-based, and are not restricted to "school time." We read, discuss, watch documentaries & Teaching Co lectures, visit museums, go on field trips, do projects, etc., on evenings, weekends, and vacations, not just afternoons on "school days."

Jackie

I need to get myself to let go in history and science, and just go with the flow. I even wrote a blog post about it a couple of years ago, but somehow I find myself planning out science and history every year, not to mention art and music.

On the agenda today... reading the PBL book!

Edited by momto2Cs

Halcyon, I think you are completely right about the child-led projects. And I think that is where I struggle...not knowing how to encourage them to create and let it be THEIR idea! :lol:

Those 2 projects that I posted about on my blog link were TOTALLY child-led. I didn't suggest she make anything, she wasn't working on any "assignment," she just is a child who creates. It is totally "her." I love it.

But, how do I encourage her when she doesn't have a project going at the time? How do I help her find a new topic without suggesting the idea myself?

And, honestly, after reading this book i felt more encouraged that she IS learning with these little projects that sometimes I think are silly or a waste of time. She definitely is my creative one.

How do we encourage kids that aren't the creative, crafty ones?

Another thing I have been pondering is their own SPACE like suggested in the book. Our house isn't huge...we have a great school room, but I don't know how to give them space to create and LEAVE IT BE for awhile...I don't know that I have that kind of space for THREE children. I don't know...I think it's important though, because I can hear myself constantly trying to clean up our messes, I think it would be good for the kids (especially my creative girl) to have a place to just create that I don't constantly harp on her about. But WHERE?!!? :lol:Still thinking on this...

About finding your way in this, finding balance, not taking over the experience...

My kids project-play all the time. They have forever. Let's just say that with an Army DH gone much of the time, I got super skilled in the masterly inactivity/benign neglect department. :tongue_smilie: They get immersed in something, sometimes individually and sometimes all three of them together. I encourage it, keep them in supplies, pay attention as they tell me all about their projects, bring in enough cardboard boxes, tape, paper, and markers to supply an Army... There is great value in that. This is how they have all played from birth to K, with little interruption from me--just support.

Then came school, which I wanted to be simultaneously not schooly but not unschooly. I silently wrestled with everything I felt we would have to cover, without really considering the adjustment that would be required because of how incredibly relaxed and easygoing their lives had been up to the point of starting school. I went through a sort of crisis of paths after DS9's first grade year because I gave a lot of lip service to CM/Classical ways but pretty much maintained the very relaxed learning atmosphere we had all along. My head seemed to want one thing but our habits were entrenched. And the tricky part is that those habits were wonderful, and I valued the learning that came from them.

I added in official subjects but, for the most part, their days were still very much their own. I supported their interest-led learning. I supported their projects. Boy, did I support their projects, almost exactly as Lori described in her book/blog. Then a strange thing happened. They came to want more--more involvement from me in their projects. They got a little bored running their own show all the time. They wanted some direction. They wanted more input from me. They wanted to share the process with me, especially DD who believes everything is more fun when done as a group. :tongue_smilie: They craved my leadership and needed a mentor.

They still have pet projects/hobbies that I don't interfere with and we've just kind of evolved to know what is theirs and what is ours, where I am a supporter/admirer and where I am a teacher/leader/mentor. There is a strong balance between skills/content I officially teach and what they do on their own. The cool thing is to see what I teach linked into what they unofficially do on their own time.

All this to say, I don't think we need to concern ourselves with doing it exactly right because it isn't about us doing it exactly right. It is about finding the right balance between us and our kids, and they will lead the way with that. Mine did anyway. They are very clear when I overstep with something they're working on. They have no problem whatsoever saying "no thanks" when I suggest something for one of their projects that they have no interest in. Really. No problem at all. :tongue_smilie::lol:

I was rereading the book last night and was struck by what she writes about how schools want to do project-based learning "right away, immediately, without delay" in the introduction:

The adults didn't get to ease into a new way of working by exploring what interested them--they were forced to do things the new way whether it appealed to them or not. They weren't being mentored thoughtfully--they were being ordered to do as they were told. Exactly the opposite of what the administrators wanted to champion for their students.

Surprisingly often, people will champion self-directed learning for children but not allow those children's parents the same freedom and respect. It's their way or the highway, and you had better start doing it the right way (their way) right away. Your kids should learn at their own pace, follow their interests, and you should trust that they'll eventually learn everything they need to know. You, on the other hand, should get with the program, right now, 100%, or else. You don't need to have your own opinions or ideas; ours will suffice. There's no time to experiment and see if these ideas work for you; take it on faith or you're part of the problem.

If your child deserves to learn at his own pace and have his own ideas, so do you. Whatever you champion for your child, make sure you also give to yourself: the right to follow your own path, work at your own pace, follow your own interests, make mistakes, and try again. Whatever you want for your children, you are far more likely to help them achieve it if you live it yourself.

So, anyway, baby steps everyone! I find myself working backwards from most people, trying to turn primarily project-based learning a bit more formal in places. And I'm taking baby steps with that too.

Can you expand on this? Because this is my current thought--there are some things I just won't give up, like structured math, Latin, writing, memory work and literature (read alouds). So how to combine the top-down model of structured learning for some areas, with a child-led pursuit in other areas. I am beginning to think that I am comfortable letting content areas like science, history, and geography be interest led, but I am unsure of how to switch gears between the two modes.:bigear:

I think, perhaps, these are two different things--project based learning as described in the book, and certain subjects being interest led.

Project based learning (pbl) would not necessarily fall into a certain subject category. It would be letting the child pick a topic, interest, whatever, to pursue. Whereas, letting content subject be interest led is predefining the project to an extent. Totally a doable and wonderful approach, but different than pbl.

I think it is not too difficult to schedule either one into your day. The challenge that I am finding is that if there are distractions from a project, the child (or adult) can be waylaid. That would include all sorts of things, but I am thinking right now about ds' project. He has been building structures from ancient Greece out of legos. We were studying American history. I am pausing that to help him flesh out his project. Easy enough. However, it gets more complicated when it comes to other read alouds, things we do out, even some of the school work we do.

So, to go back to your question. In your situation I might do something like this: Schedule math, Latin, etc. first. Then I would have blocks of time for content areas. I would find out what they wanted to learn about in those areas and if there was certain things they wanted to do as part of that--hands on projects, watch dvds, take field trips. Maybe then we would collaborate on getting resources, etc. Then I would get the ball rolling, being there to help out as needed, feeding the fire as necessary, following their rabbit trails too. I think if I were to do this I might not require anything (?or maybe I would depending on age--not sure, some writing, some kind of project? I don't know. I'm just talking out loud here.) I think when they are interested in it, they naturally do a bit more. However, having ideas on hand to suggest seems like a good idea--maybe some lapbooks, crafts, cooking, books.

I think maybe to switch gears between the two I would try not to view it as school so much as helping them to pursue their interests.

I've sort of done this in the past, but am not now. It's looking good as I reread it myself, though.:tongue_smilie:

See, I am a big believer in not over thinking things. I think about not over thinking things a lot. Maybe too much. :tongue_smilie:

For me, it is easiest to give my kids free reign in their best-loved subjects. Science has been an easy subject to let go, since we've always done inquiry science.

Anyway, I don't necessarily think you have to switch gears entirely. It's OK for me to keep moving forward in history while a kid parks on ancient Egypt as a pet project. It's OK for us to keep moving on with the lesson plans in language while a kid takes a long detour into poetry writing on her own. It's OK for one kid to introduce a new science topic while another kid immerses herself in every book about cats that has ever been written. If the projects are truly independent, you don't have to totally switch gears with your plans. You just have to give time for the rabbit trails. The way we do it here is that my plans are my plans and their projects are their projects. Their projects might be originally inspired by my plans...or not. The kids' projects can go in super slow motion while my plans go full steam ahead. I just keep on supporting their individual projects in any way I can. (Here that means sometimes not giving them too much attention, but I'll admit that we've had a strange evolution in that regard. :lol:)

ETA: Just to add... I have three children. They do not always share the same interests and projects. So if you're saying you want to do x, y, and z subjects as interest led but you have a kid who wouldn't ever be independent in that subject in a million years... This is something that can make doing simultaneous "official learning" and project-based learning a great solution.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Anyway, I don't necessarily think you have to switch gears entirely. It's OK for me to keep moving forward in history while a kid parks on ancient Egypt as a pet project. It's OK for us to keep moving on with the lesson plans in language while a kid takes a long detour into poetry writing on her own. The way we do it here is that my plans are my plans and their projects are their projects. Their projects might be originally inspired by my plans...or not. The kids' projects can go in super slow motion while my plans go full steam ahead. I just keep on supporting their individual projects in any way I can. (Here that means sometimes not giving them too much attention, but I'll admit that we've had a strange evolution in that regard. :lol:)

Okay, so this was my original thinking in adding pbl into our lives. And to some extent, it seems fine. However, I can see where some of our schooly stuff (my plans) distracts them from their projects. I think you want to help keep them focused on their project. I guess maybe I'm overthinking this. :tongue_smilie:

Okay, so this was my original thinking in adding pbl into our lives. And to some extent, it seems fine. However, I can see where some of our schooly stuff (my plans) distracts them from their projects. I think you want to help keep them focused on their project. I guess maybe I'm overthinking this. :tongue_smilie:

For us that's where down time comes in. And I have to make sure that I am not too distracted by my own planning to give them adequate and appropriate support for their current project. As she says in her book, your attention is a magnet for them. I've said it before, that my presence, attention, interest, etc. is like an anchor for their attention. If they see me constantly plugging away with my stuff, giving only an occasional uh-huh to their stuff, they are more likely to lose interest quickly, because they are less likely to see the value in what they are doing. Sometimes they need our interest as a frame of reference for value...sometimes not. Also, DH's interest can hold them.

It is helpful that the kids' projects here do not always (or even mostly) come from official school subjects. DD's mostly come from art/crafts, although she and DS6 are busy with all things cat related right now. DS9's can be anything, and is currently code-making/breaking, which is easy enough to maintain as we move on to other things.

It is definitely a balance which doesn't necessarily come easily. And the balance seems more elusive if you are aiming for a goal that doesn't actually fit the way your family learns and interacts. I'm not about doing it the exact way Lori describes in her book. I'm about doing it the exact way it looks best for us in practice, and keeps all of us inspired and engaged.

I have given the book a quick read. Given that this is our first year of HS, we are certainly still figuring things out and trying to decide what fits us well. I am really happy with our mornings (memory work, the 3Rs and Danish), but they are pretty structured.

The afternoon has "project potential," although we are typically up-against-the-clock most afternoons. I have this vision that project time should not have an end time, but I would have to let that vision go. Two afternoons per week, we HAVE to finish by 2:30 (sports) and once a week we try to get to the library by 3 o'clock (language cafe).

In a way, DS has already chosen a project. He is learning Modern Greek. All I have done is help him choose the resources.

I am going to nudge him toward some self-directed art, history or science projects. Last summer, I picked up Differentiating Instruction with Menus for Science Grades 6-8. In spite of its terribly dry title, I think that the some of the project menus are quite good. Doing one of them might provide us with a good bridge toward PBL. I had been planning to have him work on the Periodic Table Menu after he finishes Ellen McHenry's Elements.

One thing from the Lori P's book gave me pause. She suggests that the parent/mentor refrain from random activities as they become distractions that interrupt projects. "Save casual field trips and similar activities for times between projects." As an expat who expects to live in Europe for only a few years, I am thrilled to take seemingly random field trips :)

Edited by Penguin

I think, perhaps, these are two different things--project based learning as described in the book, and certain subjects being interest led.

Project based learning (pbl) would not necessarily fall into a certain subject category. It would be letting the child pick a topic, interest, whatever, to pursue. Whereas, letting content subject be interest led is predefining the project to an extent. Totally a doable and wonderful approach, but different than pbl.

I think it is not too difficult to schedule either one into your day. The challenge that I am finding is that if there are distractions from a project, the child (or adult) can be waylaid. That would include all sorts of things, but I am thinking right now about ds' project. He has been building structures from ancient Greece out of legos. We were studying American history. I am pausing that to help him flesh out his project. Easy enough. However, it gets more complicated when it comes to other read alouds, things we do out, even some of the school work we do.

So, to go back to your question. In your situation I might do something like this: Schedule math, Latin, etc. first. Then I would have blocks of time for content areas. I would find out what they wanted to learn about in those areas and if there was certain things they wanted to do as part of that--hands on projects, watch dvds, take field trips. Maybe then we would collaborate on getting resources, etc. Then I would get the ball rolling, being there to help out as needed, feeding the fire as necessary, following their rabbit trails too. I think if I were to do this I might not require anything (?or maybe I would depending on age--not sure, some writing, some kind of project? I don't know. I'm just talking out loud here.) I think when they are interested in it, they naturally do a bit more. However, having ideas on hand to suggest seems like a good idea--maybe some lapbooks, crafts, cooking, books.

I think maybe to switch gears between the two I would try not to view it as school so much as helping them to pursue their interests.

I've sort of done this in the past, but am not now. It's looking good as I reread it myself, though.:tongue_smilie:

Thank you for your great reply! This is all a major change in thinking for me and I am really struggling with the day-to-day implementation. I think I get the content area/project distinction, but in our house so far, the children's interests all seem to fall into the area of history, science, or geography, so I would be content to let them pursue their interests and check the appropriate box on my mental checklist. For example, ds is currently interested in Bigfoot and the other day he sat down and drew by hand a pretty accurate US map, labeling the states, and shading in areas based on reported sightings. To me, this is geography, math, and science. Does that sound right to you? Am I understanding the distinction?

I feel like my biggest struggle now is to create the head space you talked about and work on seeing and supporting projects while keeping my hands off and not pushing academic/school based expectations. Which for this momma is pretty hard! My kids, especially ds, don't yet trust me to let them follow their projects without taking over and killing it. I really want them to learn the self-directed aspect to learning. They have become very passive in their learning, seeing it as something I do to them, not something they pursue.

Thank you for your great reply! This is all a major change in thinking for me and I am really struggling with the day-to-day implementation. I think I get the content area/project distinction, but in our house so far, the children's interests all seem to fall into the area of history, science, or geography, so I would be content to let them pursue their interests and check the appropriate box on my mental checklist. For example, ds is currently interested in Bigfoot and the other day he sat down and drew by hand a pretty accurate US map, labeling the states, and shading in areas based on reported sightings. To me, this is geography, math, and science. Does that sound right to you? Am I understanding the distinction?

I feel like my biggest struggle now is to create the head space you talked about and work on seeing and supporting projects while keeping my hands off and not pushing academic/school based expectations. Which for this momma is pretty hard! My kids, especially ds, don't yet trust me to let them follow their projects without taking over and killing it. I really want them to learn the self-directed aspect to learning. They have become very passive in their learning, seeing it as something I do to them, not something they pursue.

Interesting, my dc projects right now are history and science based. My younger ds is building ancient greek sites out of legos. And my older ds is attempting to make a radio.

As to the bigfoot project, yes, I think you can check those boxes off. Sounds like he's really covering a lot with that interest.

And the last part which I bolded; this still seems to be a struggle here, as they don't view their projects as learning, which is both good and bad. School=something mommy makes them do, something done to them. Projects=something they are interested in, something good. I'm hoping as we go along, there is more blending, less distinction in what "learning" is.

I haven't read all the other replies, but just did a rambling post about dividing our year between interest-led and parent-led. I would love any of your thoughts on it. Here's the link in case anyone is interested in helping me sort this out :) http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=431745.

I am loving the examples of projects some of you have given. Very inspiring and helpful! Can't wait to get the book!

And the last part which I bolded; this still seems to be a struggle here, as they don't view their projects as learning, which is both good and bad. School=something mommy makes them do, something done to them. Projects=something they are interested in, something good. I'm hoping as we go along, there is more blending, less distinction in what "learning" is.

I think if we don't view it as important they won't either. I think it can be easy to overstep those bounds and take over BUT I also see that if we don't value their projects as learning then we are missing an opportunity to foster that independent project based learning that is the goal. Some pp talked about trying to make a more concerted effort to actually be interested and listen as it greatly effects how their projects develop. I totally agree with that and have noticed it as well, when I just ignore them it quite often fizzles considerably quicker but when I share their excitement I can help it grow. No matter if their project is some little thing or some big thought, not everything is going to be some big thing but that doesn't mean there isn't some value to it. I know as well that when I'm excited about something I love to be able to share with others and have them be excited as well- which I think is why a lot of us are on here because our dhs don't always share our excitement about various hs'ing curriculum and methods :)

I also agree with AVA that the work on those skill areas helps them to be able to take those projects further. I also agree with the idea that I'm trying to straddle unschooling and not unschooling. I scheduled science and history the last 2 years and they ended up being drop well before Jan both times, despite my plans. Then we ended up doing much of nothing because I felt I should do something official but couldn't get anything official put together and what I tried to do just didn't match up to what I had in my head.

Finally this year I was too tired and pregnant to plan other than the core subjects and more reading of veteran posters I admired led me to just drop the curriculum and follow our interests. Now that we aren't trying to check any particular boxes I find it going exactly as I wanted all along. I'm not worried about holes and gaps, my goal right now is to build interest and curiosity and encourage their own ability to learn. I want to build a very strong foundation in our skills though so as they get older they can combine those skills with their curiosity and independent learning skills to really blossom. I want them to have things they can take ownership of as much as possible as they are able.

And now I'm rambling- I usually try to stay out of such threads as I don't feel qualified or experienced enough to comment but meh I don't care anymore. We're learning as we go here, just like everyone else and I love reading the experience of others. So, I don't know where we fit in or what label to use and that's ok. There are so many great ideas out there and a million different ways to implement them as well.

Edited by soror

This has been such a great read :) I have a strong passion for interest driven studies. I bounce between planning a unit study based on interest, and just letting them be. I think it really depends on what the interest is, and also what they request of me. Sometimes they do ask me to come up with a more directed study that we can do together, so I do plan it out, but a lot of times we start strong and follow our own trail anyway. Sometimes I take their request and strew a stack of books about the house, leave open an experiment idea from a book, I might leave a note for them with an idea for them to try, etc.

I have always tried to be interest-led around here, and we definitely spend a lot of time chasing rabbit trails. I try to follow passions and help assist in anyway I can. One of mine has a list a mile long of projects he'd like to complete. He has a focus issue and can't land on one, but I try and encourage what ever little bit he does dabble in. I think there are several projects going on around here right now - a collection book full of pressed flowers that I always being added to, there is a HUGE book about birds from the library and he spends hours drawing and/or painting them, he loves to build and make things and just the other day spent hours building a marble run that connected to a domino run and then back to a marble run (it was awesome!), and so much more.

I do have some core subjects that we do and won't part with - math, Braverwrite stuff, and lots & lots of reading aloud (which I use wisely to dump ideas/subjects/topics into their little brains - I love how something I read will suddenly be all they can think about and research :))

Our day is structured around the resident toddler as to when we do the core subjects. I strive to take care of them first thing so the day can be theirs to pursue their interests, but don't grumble if we don't get to them until naptime (or, sometimes, not at all). There are only two weekdays each week that we have to be out of the house for classes (which are also 100% interest/passion driven) and the other three are up for grabs how we spend them. We all seem to enjoy making sure there is at least 2 days home without leaving (preferably in a row). This is when I see the magic of projects happening the most. They have the time and they go to town.

I have more thoughts to share but I hear said toddler waking up so I'll have to come back later!

They still have pet projects/hobbies that I don't interfere with and we've just kind of evolved to know what is theirs and what is ours, where I am a supporter/admirer and where I am a teacher/leader/mentor. There is a strong balance between skills/content I officially teach and what they do on their own. The cool thing is to see what I teach linked into what they unofficially do on their own time.

All this to say, I don't think we need to concern ourselves with doing it exactly right because it isn't about us doing it exactly right. It is about finding the right balance between us and our kids, and they will lead the way with that....

:iagree:

Just as it can be a mistake to take over a child's project, I think it can also be a mistake to think that unless the parent is totally uninvolved, then you're "doing it wrong." The balance will be different for different families, different children within a family, sometimes even different areas of interest for a single child. There's a big difference between taking over a child's project, and making yourself available as a mentor and facilitator.

I think this is especially true with younger kids, who haven't had enough exposure to even know what all the options are. If kids don't know that it's possible to order owl pellets online, or that there's a local astronomy club that holds "star parties," or that there's a nearby paleo dig in the summer, how can they ask for those things? Most of the interest-led/project-based/whatever-you-want-to-call-it kind of learning we do just arises naturally from trying to answer questions that the kids have. The ideas for the projects are theirs, I just offer information, resources, and opportunities — which they're free to use or reject.

There are some subjects, like math, Latin, and Greek, that we do totally traditionally. Other subjects are interest-led, but parent-facilitated (most of our science and history). And then there are lots of projects that they initiate and carry out totally on their own, some of which may be offshoots of something "schooly" and some of which are just totally independent ideas they come up with. DS, for example, has invented a civilization, complete with a language (he's devised the grammar and the writing system, and continually adds to the vocabulary), history, mythology, clothes/jewelry/weapons/housing, etc. That's totally his thing, but it grew out of his interests in ancient history, mythology, and linguistics — which I encouraged and facilitated by buying him books and Teaching Co courses.

DD does a lot of crafts — she recently made a purse by covering a large ziplock baggie with patterned duct tape and adding a shoulder strap, and she makes lots of little animals out of socks and yarn scraps. They both build stuff out of scrap material (like catapults and slingshots) and they make stop-action movies with lego minifigs and simple ipad software. They once built a "mind control device" out of Zometools. :lol:

My primary contributions to those kinds of projects are (1) making sure they have time to pursue them and (2) providing a cabinet full of materials they can use however they want — bungie cords, large rubber bands, bulldog clips, wooden dowels and other scraps, wood glue and clamps, tons of buttons/yarn/material, different size popsicle sticks, wire, clothes pins, plastic tubing, and lots and LOTS of duct tape! :D

Jackie

Thanks everyone for posting so far. This has been an interesting read. I think for me the biggest challenge will be seeing the value in what they are interested in. But maybe not. Maybe older will surprise me. I have to just try it and see what he comes up with. We are going to give this a go on Friday, so I will post back. Please please take photos everyone and "document" what happens. I am going to pretend I am a journalist. Okay, a concerned journalist who gets involved with his subjects, but a journalist nonetheless LOL.

ALso, i dont think crafts are the only way to go here. Yes, I know many kids love them, and mine do too, but I think there are other projct based things that kids could choose to do....learning to cook Indian food? I dont know, my son has an abiding interest in cooking, so we could conceivably do some sort of project...wait, that's me guiding again. Okay, so I could suggest cooking. See, this is where I stumble. I think preparing a dinner for extended family would be so fun for him--is it wrong to suggest that? Or how about a city made of boxes--my younger would love doing that....

I think i really need to let go here. I am sure they will come up with interesting things on their own, and they will OWN them.

Edited by Halcyon

I don't consider myself a project-based educator, so take this w/a huge lump of salt.....shouldn't the purpose of exploring methodologies be to understand varied approaches and then take and adapt what works and not worry about what doesn't?

FWIW, kids can't undertake projects in a mental vacuum. In order for them to pursue a project, there needs to be some underlying experience, knowlege, impetus.....whatever you want to call it.....urging them forward. Over the yrs I have watched my kids start to incorporate something they have learned into their play weeks afterward. It demonstrates that their minds have been processing the info even while we have not actively been engaged in that study for quite some time.. That is a good thing!

Letting them develop their own projects is fabulous. Some kids do it naturally. Some kids are clueless. There are many ends to same goal. :)

I don't consider myself a project-based educator, so take this w/a huge lump of salt.....shouldn't the purpose of exploring methodologies be to understand varied approaches and then take and adapt what works and not worry about what doesn't?

Yes. I take what I like and leave what I don't.

FWIW, kids can't undertake projects in a mental vacuum. In order for them to pursue a project, there needs to be some underlying experience, knowlege, impetus.....whatever you want to call it.....urging them forward. Over the yrs I have watched my kids start to incorporate something they have learned into their play weeks afterward. It demonstrates that their minds have been processing the info even while we have not actively been engaged in that study for quite some time.. That is a good thing!

Letting them develop their own projects is fabulous. Some kids do it naturally. Some kids are clueless. There are many ends to same goal. :)

I think the bolded above is why my kids started demanding more from me a couple of years ago. There comes a point when big dreams of impressive projects can't be realized without enough knowledge, ability, etc. My kids actually became more hungry for formal learning when their projects got bigger than their abilities. Makes sense, really. Sometimes I'm a teacher and sometimes I'm a guide.

You've given me a giant epiphany with this post, so thanks! I'm not a project-based educator either. I am a project-based MOM! :lol: Maybe that's why the current balance is working so well. I educate. They appreciate the education and glean fodder for their projects. We all seem to be happier this way. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Well, exactly. This is why I've been somewhat skeptical of a lot of the research on pbl in the classroom setting, especially in the very early grades when, let's face it, they don't know a whole heck of a lot on which to base this amazing, self-directed project work! They are still needing to teach the kids to read and write and do math. Not to mention helping them gain some content knowledge so they can even begin to do interesting projects on their own at some point.

I realize classroom-based pbl and homeschool pbl are two very different animals, but I guess some of my basic skepticism might be leaking over a little bit. . .

Some pbl stuff I've read has been so very culty - but as many pps have pointed out, it doesn't have to be this way. You can glean what is of value to you from this approach without drinking the koolaid. So to speak.

Thanks everyone for posting so far. This has been an interesting read. I think for me the biggest challenge will be seeing the value in what they are interested in. But maybe not. Maybe older will surprise me. I have to just try it and see what he comes up with. We are going to give this a go on Friday, so I will post back. Please please take photos everyone and "document" what happens. I am going to pretend I am a journalist. Okay, a concerned journalist who gets involved with his subjects, but a journalist nonetheless LOL.

ALso, i dont think crafts are the only way to go here. Yes, I know many kids love them, and mine do too, but I think there are other projct based things that kids could choose to do....learning to cook Indian food? I dont know, my son has an abiding interest in cooking, so we could conceivably do some sort of project...wait, that's me guiding again. Okay, so I could suggest cooking. See, this is where I stumble. I think preparing a dinner for extended family would be so fun for him--is it wrong to suggest that? Or how about a city made of boxes--my younger would love doing that....

I think i really need to let go here. I am sure they will come up with interesting things on their own, and they will OWN them.

I completely agree with crafts not being the only way to go. That is actually a pet peeve of mine with the book, that it seems like physical products are overemphasized. I think learning to meditate could be a great project... I'm gonna get right on that. :tongue_smilie: Definitely cooking though! I have been wanting to do a "cook your way around the world" thing for geography here. So many ideas, so little time...

I'll try to document. I've never been great with it. I've been meaning to start with this method of journaling my days. Looks easy. And pretty. :lol: