Menu

Trader Joe's

This is not unusual, but it's my latest "regular" item to discover--pizza dough in the refrigerated section. It's delicious, very cheap ($1.29 I think), and you can throw a bunch in the freezer in a ziploc gallon bag. It thaws overnight in the fridge and you've got an easy dinner plan.

Editing to add other regular items for us:

Sliced sourdough bread

Honey nut O's cereal

fig bars (called "This Fruit Walked into a Bar")

shelf stable individual chocolate milks

Yogurt sticks (we put them in the freezer)

Multigrain crackers, pita crackers

chicken burritos (freezer section)

Orange chicken (freezer section)

pot stickers (freezer section)

macaroni and cheese

salsa

black bean dip

tortilla chips

Not regular items, but we love

Jo-jo cookies

chocolate petite batons cookies which I get for my bookclub

dark chocolate covered almond bits

any of the peanut butter cups

dark chocolate bars for dh

graham cat cookies or graham crackers

Edited by Ali in OR

Stay away from the Joe-Joes. They're addictive. (They're like Oreos but the filling is much more delicious, more vanilla and less fake flavor.)

I just went to TJ's last night and stocked up. My favorites:

garlic hummus

guacamole (the one made with yogurt)

my husband loves maui beef

microwave mac & cheese (the husband & kids FIGHT over this...yes, we're cavemen)

frozen greek yogurt

greek yogurt (full fat, strawberry vanilla is soooo good...and it's hard to find full fat greek!)

cheese tortellini (in refrigerated section)

applewood uncured bacon (my family fights over this too, it's an occasional buy due to the cost/slice)

almond milk ($2.99 here, vs. $3.30+ for a 1/2 gallon at walmart)

They have lots of seasonal stuff as well. Right now it's pumpkin everything and soon they'll have lots of Christmas candy, including candy cane Joe-Joes.

I even bought some coconut body butter last night on impulse and it smells deeee-licious.

Have fun shopping when they open!!

It's not necessarily unusual (depends on your perspective), but a lot of somewhat healthful or "trendy" food items at reasonable prices. Plus lots of things like dried fruit and nuts. That's my favorite aisle. Their organic, reduced sugar jam is nice. Not too sweet, for a change. There's too much prepared food -- to me, that's what they specialize in -- but I think that's why some people love it. I have a family member who is gaga about their stuff, so I tried a lot of it like 15 years ago and no longer need to buy the frozen veges in sauce stuff. But not a lot of chemicals or weird preservatives in their prepared food, and it's not bad tasting.

EVERYTHING! :lol: We LOVE TJ's!

Seriously though, here are some of our favorites:

peanut butter (their brand)

pumpkin pancake mix (available now and through November only)

Strawberry Oh's cereal

granola bars, especially the peanut butter oat bars

organic pop-tarts for a quick breakfast/snack

Jo-Jo's cookies, especially the peppermint ones around Christmas

salad dressings

dark chocolate salted caramel bar (this is reserved for me only :D)

salsas

Oh my, where to begin? I do 70% of my shopping there. The rest of our food comes from local ranchers and farmers, with an occasion Whole Foods run if I'm looking for something very specific (or just vey ripe and delicious). So, TJs is the only store I regularly buy from.

Their cheese prices are excellent. Right now it's the season for their pumpkin butter, which my kids adore. Breads, meat, frozen, wine, meats, dairy, eggs, produce, coffee, soaps/detergents...they pretty much have it all.

Been shopping at Trader Joe's for over 20 years!!

i have a limited diet due to food allergies, but they have my favorite soy milk and gluten free bagels, they are the best source for nuts (which i use a lot), and they have the best dye-free pickles! Oh, and their potato chips . . . i LOVE their potato chips . . .

EVERYTHING! :lol: We LOVE TJ's!

Seriously though, here are some of our favorites:

peanut butter (their brand)

pumpkin pancake mix (available now and through November only)

Strawberry Oh's cereal

granola bars, especially the peanut butter oat bars

organic pop-tarts for a quick breakfast/snack

Jo-Jo's cookies, especially the peppermint ones around Christmas

salad dressings

dark chocolate salted caramel bar (this is reserved for me only :D)

salsas

Ahhh, those peppermint Jo-Jo's. YUM.

Their cheese prices are, indeed, remarkably low (I'd ask how they do that, but I've decided I'm content to purchase my laughably affordable brie and let the company keep its secrets).

TJ is the only place near me I can find whole wheat couscous and B Grade maple syrup.

Their Seville queen (green) olives are wonderful. They taste like they are in a vinegary white wine. My favorite thing there!

Also, they give hearty samples, and nearly everything I've sampled is delish--sometimes we stop in if we are in the same strip mall at a different store (our Christian bookstore is there) just to see what's on the barbie, so to speak!:D

Trader Joe's is opening soon in our area.

I've never been, but I know that they have a lot of unusual types of things.

Any recommendations? :bigear:

OH YEAH.....you will buy almost everything there. We do.

Organic everything under the sun, and far cheaper. Love the nuts, pasta, pasta sauce, frozen foods, bean packages, organic meats, organic produce, cereal, coconut milk, milk...etc.

We also use their soaps.

I love trader joes! We love their gluten free steel oats. 2lb bag for $3.99! We also love the gluten free brown rice pasta 1lb for $1.99! We love their hummus too! Ohhh and I get my raw sunflower seeds there. 1lb for $1.99! I also love their brand refresh of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. It's gluten free, animal friendly vegan!! And they're only $2.99 each!

We love:

Veggie Corn Chips with Flax Seeds

Whole Wheat English Muffins

Sour Dough Bread

Organic Romain for a low price

Kosher chicken, turkey, and beef

Soy Dream

72% Cacao chocolate bars

Organic Heirloom tomatoes

Whole Wheat tortillas

Turkey Meatballs!!! mmm, mmm, mmm! And the kiddo can make them!

Arabiata pasta sauce

We buy their organic pasta regularly. We enjoy their frozen gnocchi (there are 2 varieties - marinara and a cheese one????) on occasion. It is a little pricey to feed our whole family so it is a treat.

Dh loves their salsas. We buy a lot of produce there. I personally *love* the organic Vanana yogurt. Yummmm....

Our kiddos love the dark and milk chocolate covered pretzels.

We live in walking distance and shop there ALL the time.

greek yogurt (full fat, strawberry vanilla is soooo good...and it's hard to find full fat greek!)

Full fat yogurt is hard to find elsewhere, this is one of our regular buys.

I have a family member who is gaga about their stuff, so I tried a lot of it like 15 years ago and no longer need to buy the frozen veges in sauce stuff. But not a lot of chemicals or weird preservatives in their prepared food, and it's not bad tasting.

I agree that they have a lot of prepared meals, frozen entrees and that sort of thing.

We only go once in a while because it is over an hour away. The last time we were there, we purchased: the Harvest Grain Blend of couscous, quinoa, etc (dh loves this), corn salsa (again, dh loves it), pita breads, hummus, heirloom tomatoes, full fat yogurt, crackers, lots of cheese (I love the wine soaked Toscano and the baby Bries), frozen meatballs, frozen orange chicken (this is *really* good), wine, Meyer lemon cookies...I am sure there were other things, but these are mostly regular buys for us.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I go every week, and these are some of our favorites:

full fat greek yogurt (great with honey for a snack)

"unexpected cheddar" (many of their cheeses are very good)

Japanese fried rice

chocolate croissants (frozen; let rise overnight)

mashed potatoes (frozen, in little "coins")

shrimp corn dogs

battered halibut

frozen flatbread pizzas

crumpets

mini biscotti

pita crackers and pita chips

dark chocolate mini peanut butter cups

dark choc. covered caramels (YUM)

Pound Plus belgian chocolate blocks

chocolate covered pomegranate seeds

organic lollipops

coconut oil

snap pea crisps

apple blossoms (frozen mini apple "pies")

various dried fruits and nuts -- great selection!

I love finding unexpected things .... like interesting plants (hellebores, cacti), cool produce (brussels sprouts on the stalk, figs), seasonal foods, etc.

They have a great selection of dried fruits and nuts for reasonable prices.

We also like a lot of their frozen entrees--DH loves the chicken Alfredo, the kids like the Mac and cheese and the taquitos, and I like the frozen coconut milk soup. We buy their frozen berries, mangos, and pineapple for smoothies. They used to carry delicious coconut milk mochi, but I haven't seen it for months. :sad: I like their cheese selection, but I only buy their cheese if we will use it quickly--I have found that it tends to mold quickly. I also like the pre-cut veggies, especially kale and other greens. And their sweets are nice. They have a lot of dye-free options for those who are sensitive. Occasionally I can taste the flavor of the natural colors, though--a slight beet, carrot, or turmeric essence. :lol: