Menu

The Westboro "church" is in our town

Protesting at a young National guardman's funeral. He was killed in an automobile/motorcycle collision, we were close behind on the highway where it happened. Dh and ds saw the whole terrible aftermath.

There is plenty of support against the Westboro people, I went in to make sure my boys were out of the way and snapped a few pics. One of the local farmers brought in tons of big round hay bales and blocked everywhere he thought the W. church would want to set up. Police everywhere.

So sad, this boy was in his early 20s, had a little family. Apparently the driver of the car just didn't see him and pulled over in his lane.

One of these days a grieving family member is likely to retaliate against these lunatics and frankly, I can't say I'd blame them. It would be hard not to take a bat to someone protesting my child's funeral. May God shield this hurting and mourning family of the deceased from seeing or hearing any of this hate group's twisted "message".

Edited by kijipt

One of these days a grieving family member is likely to retaliate against these lunatics and frankly, I can't say I'd blame them. It would be hard not to take a bat to someone protesting my child's funeral. May God shield this hurting and mourning family of the deceased from seeing or hearing any of this hate group's twisted method.

:iagree:

They make me sick to my stomach.

Kick their heinies, Remuda!

My eldest is in the Navy. The idea of dealing w/his loss, and having those ***holes show up, protesting, is enough to make me violently ill.

I simply can't imagine how the families deal. I really, really can't.

I know Wolf would react. Violently. Likely be arrested for mowing them down w/our vehicle, or something equally violent.

I truly can't fathom what drives these...creatures. I don't even want to call them 'ppl' b/c the innate compassion that *should* be part of the human make up is so obviously lacking.

One of these days a grieving family member is likely to retaliate against these lunatics and frankly, I can't say I'd blame them. It would be hard not to take a bat to someone protesting my child's funeral. May God shield this hurting and mourning family of the deceased from seeing or hearing any of this hate group's twisted "message".

As I recall (sorry, no citation), they make a fair amount of money from suing people who do that for assault.

As I recall (sorry, no citation), they make a fair amount of money from suing people who do that for assault.

No, their lawsuit money is mainly from winning judgments against governement for impeding their first amendment rights to be a@@holes- things like suing because the city was banning them or suing because a family member was arrested for things like stepping on flags or stretched charges. As far as I know they have not gained financially from suing individuals. The vast majority of people are judgment proof anyways...they go after defendents they know can pay. Not saying it is ok to attack them physically, just that it is an understandable urge given the cruelty they show. My brother is gay and trans. I would lose it if someone showed up to protest his funeral.

I watched a little thing on them. I only saw their gay hating. Why do they protest at military funerals? (I think they're a bunch of nuts, so i'm just curious)

To the best of my understanding (not that they are really understandable) it is because they consider it a joyous thing when God kills a solider of a nation that "loves f@gs" and tolerates gay people. Personally, I think it is because they want the maximum number of people to hate them. While it was disgusting when they mainly focused on protesting the funerals of hate crime victims (Matthew Shepard in WY comes to mind), they inspire the wrath of many more people when they go after veterans.

From what I understand it's mainly one family that's been shaped by the hate of it's patriarch. Many of the kids never stood a chance and their views seem to reflect the isolation their leader's views have imposed as much as his views.

I often wonder what might start to happen with some of them if they were greeted with gentle conversation and warmth. I suspect quite a few of them, especially the kids, haven't gotten a lot of that.

If there is notice that the Westboro people are going to be in an area protesting a funeral, the Patriot Guard Riders can be called in to provide security for the family and sound and visual barriers from the protesters. The bikers all seem to be really great people and provide a great volunteer service.

Kudos to that farmer who set up the hay bales! Smart thinking!

From what I understand it's mainly one family that's been shaped by the hate of it's patriarch. Many of the kids never stood a chance and their views seem to reflect the isolation their leader's views have imposed as much as his views.

I often wonder what might start to happen with some of them if they were greeted with gentle conversation and warmth. I suspect quite a few of them, especially the kids, haven't gotten a lot of that.

No. This does not work. They protested at our church one Sunday. It was horrible - all the pictures they were holding up that were just not appropriate for my then-small children. Ugh. Anyway, my husband tried to talk with them. He was VERY calm and tried hard. They yelled at him. I mean, SCREAMED at him. It was horrible.

The best thing that day was when one of our parishoners stood at the top of the steps to the church and LAUGHED at them. They didn't know what to do with that!

To the best of my understanding (not that they are really understandable) it is because they consider it a joyous thing when God kills a solider of a nation that "loves f@gs" and tolerates gay people. Personally, I think it is because they want the maximum number of people to hate them. While it was disgusting when they mainly focused on protesting the funerals of hate crime victims (Matthew Shepard in WY comes to mind), they inspire the wrath of many more people when they go after veterans.

They hate Jews too, so when they protested at the local Jewish Community Center, I counter-protested. I'm not even Jewish, but as Christian, I have to stand with Israel, and against that.

I doubt many of them even actually believe the hogwash they spout. I think it's a money-making operation at it's roots. They provoke, wait for someone to react and then sue like crazy. I really wish the media would quit acknowledging them and their antics.

We had them threaten our town earlier this year, when a fairly high-profile soldier was killed. The community flooded the route between the church and the cemetery. Civilians, Patriot Guard, Freedom Riders, 4-H clubs, biker clubs, etc etc etc. You name it, they were there. Companies along the route pulled out their big trucks to the road and hung flags and signs from them. We knew the soldier's family and went with the procession to the cemetery and it was unbelievable and inspiring. In the end, WBC didn't bother to show up. There was a lot of noise on FB and in the newspaper about how people were planning to flood them out, and I think they knew they weren't going to get their day in the sun.

Remuda...could you hook up your pony cart, plow through them, and claim that your horse was possessed? :D

:lol:

The best thing that day was when one of our parishoners stood at the top of the steps to the church and LAUGHED at them. They didn't know what to do with that!

I think it was last year or a couple years ago that they went to Comic Con and the people there made their own signs making fun of Westboro and were just basically laughing at them. They really seemed to be confused, it was GREAT!:D

If there is notice that the Westboro people are going to be in an area protesting a funeral, the Patriot Guard Riders can be called in to provide security for the family and sound and visual barriers from the protesters. The bikers all seem to be really great people and provide a great volunteer service.

Kudos to that farmer who set up the hay bales! Smart thinking!

One of our soldiers was killed several years ago. The Westboro wackos announced they would be protesting and the Patriot Guard showed up and literally lined the entire area with motorcycles and flags. No one ever saw the idiots. I was extremely glad because dh was deployed and I knew I couldn't get arrested for assault. The family of the soldier said later they weren't even aware that they had been there.

I think it was last year or a couple years ago that they went to Comic Con and the people there made their own signs making fun of Westboro and were just basically laughing at them. They really seemed to be confused, it was GREAT!:D

Any sci-fi nerds may enjoy these pictures from comic con.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/07/22/super-heroes-vs-the-westboro-baptist-church/